• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arin

07/08 Roster

Rate this topic

I know we always have these, but we've had a few players extended recently and thought it would be interesting to try it again. What's the latest on how much the cap's rising? I'll just use 46mill for this..

Detroit Players Signed for 07-08:

Datsyuk - 6.7

Zetterberg - 2.7

Draper - 2.128

Holmstrom - 2.25

Sammy - 1.2

Franzen - 0.900

Filppula - .850

Cleary - .675

Kopecky - (?)

Lidstrom - 7.6

Lilja - 1

Kronwall - 1.5

Lebda - 0.550

**Quincey - .535

**Ericsson - .475

Osgood - .800

**Howard - .850

Total Signed: 28.853

Possible Lines:

Homer - Z - Datsyuk

Hartnell(3) - Filppula - Bertuzzi(4.5)

Hudler(1) - Cleary - Sammy

Franzen - Draper - Kopecky(.8)

Lidstrom - Kronwall

Hamrlik(3.5) - Sarich(2)

Lebda - Chelios(.85)

Lilja

Hasek(1)

Osgood

Total : ~45.503

Cap Room: ~.497

What do you guys think? I overpayed on most of the FAs to compensate, so I'm sure if this roster happened there'd be more room under the cap. What do you guys think Hamrlik, Sarich, Hartnell & Bert would ask for? I think the addition of Hartnell, Hamrlik & Sarich would obviously give this team some strength and grit.

Who would you like to see here and your estimates on contract sizes?

Edited by arin

Wow - it's going up that much?

Well, add Calder for maybe 2mill (what you guys think?) and put Kopecky as 13th or something.

Also, the only way I want Bert back is if:

1. He dominates playoffs

2. There arent any other alternatives to take his spot

I really dont want to lose a 2nd rounder just to resign him. He's been awesome and everything this team needs, but if we can get someone else to fill that niche we have to take it.

EDIT: That's what Cleary and Lilja are actually locked up for next season

Edited by arin

How about this:

Locked up for 07/08:

Player / Salary (per nhlnumbers.com)

Nicklas Lidstrom: 7.6

Pavel Datsyuk: 6.7

Henrik Zetterberg: 2.7

Kris Draper: 2.128

Tomas Holmstrom : 2.250

Mikael Samuelsson: 1.2

Niklas Kronwall: (3mil cap hit)

Andreas Lilja: 1

Chris Osgood: 0.850

Valtteri Filppula: 0.850

Dan Cleary: 0.675

Brett Lebda: (0.683 cap hit)

Tomas Kopecky: ??? (est. 0.650)

TOTAL: 30.286 / 49.000

CAP SPACE REMAINING 18.714

Wings Notable UFA's / 06-07 salary

Robert Lang: 3.8

Kirk Maltby: 1.368

Todd Bertuzzi: 5.269

Kyle Calder: 2.95

Mathieu Schneider: 3.3

Dany Markov: 2.5

Chris Chelios: 0.850

Dominik Hasek: (.0750 + 1.1 performance bonus)

Hudler is a RFA this summer and there are a few OTHER two-way contracts to think about, but this is about it.

Now that we have the numbers in front of us, its obvious that we cannot afford to re-sign everyone at their previous salary. Who will take less? Who should be replaced?

If Holland can get Bert to accept a contract in the 4-4.5 (or less) range, Calder in the 1.5-2.2 range, Schneider in the 2.5 range and re-sign Hasek and Markov to a 1 year extension for the same salary, I'd welcome them all back. Chelios will sign for whatever is left.

Lang can go and, unfortunately, so can Maltby.

Edited by Ozzie30

Current wings signed for next year, and their cap number:

Datsyuk 6.7m

Zetterberg 2.65m

Holmstrom 2.25m

Draper 2.128m

Samuelsson 1.2m

Franzen .942m

Filppula .733m

Cleary .663m

Kopecky .45m

Lidstrom 7.6m

Kronwall 3.0m

Lilja 1.0m

Lebda .65m

Osgood .85m

That totals up to 30.816m, with four forwards, three defensemen, and a goalie left to sign. The cap is expected to rise to about 47.5 million, which leaves 16.684m to fill out the roster.

Roster RFAs expected to resign, and current cap number:

Jiri Hudler .525m

Hudler will likely be resigned for about .75m, leaving 15.934 to sign three forwards, three defensemen, and a goalie.

Notable UFAs, and current cap number:

Todd Bertuzzi 5.269m

Lang 3.8m

Calder 2.95m

Maltby 1.406m

Schneider 3.3m

Markov 2.5m

Chelios 1.15m

Hasek 1.85m

These guys total up to 22.225m.

Hasek will likely retire, and Lang and Maltby will likely be let go as UFAs.

We'll use Howard as the backup goalie as he is likely to make more than Liv. His .733 reduces the available amount to 15.201m for three up front and three on D.

Calder should sign for about 2m. That would reduce the remaining cap to 13.201m

Ellis or Bootland should sign as 13th forward for 500k, which means 12.701m.

Schneider should sign for 3.7m or less. 9.001m remaining.

Markov likely will sign for 2.75m or less. 6.251m remaining.

Chelios could be had for 1m or less total cap hit. 5.251 remaining.

Bertuzzi will likely be resigned for no more than 4.5m, which means the Wings shoudl have a minimum of 750k free cap space, with the only roster changes being Lang, Maltby, and Hasek out and Ellis/Bootland and Howard in.

Guest Agalloch

Trade Sammy and Lilja for a bag of pucks, and I'm ready for next year.

Datsyuk 6.7m

Zetterberg 2.65m

Holmstrom 2.25m

Draper 2.128m

Samuelsson 1.2m

Franzen .942m

Filppula .733m

Cleary .663m

Kopecky .45m

Lidstrom 7.6m

Kronwall 3.0m

Lilja 1.0m

Lebda .65m

Osgood .85m

That totals up to 30.816m, with four forwards, three defensemen, and a goalie left to sign. The cap is expected to rise to about 47.5 million, which leaves 16.684m to fill out the roster.

Jiri Hudler .525m

Hudler will likely be resigned for about .75m, leaving 15.934 to sign three forwards, three defensemen, and a goalie.

Todd Bertuzzi 5.269m

Lang 3.8m

Calder 2.95m

Maltby 1.406m

Schneider 3.3m

Markov 2.5m

Chelios 1.15m

Hasek 1.85m

We'll use Howard as the backup goalie as he is likely to make more than Liv. His .733 reduces the available amount to 15.201m for three up front and three on D.

Bertuzzi will likely be resigned for no more than 4.5m, which means the Wings shoudl have a minimum of 750k free cap space, with the only roster changes being Lang, Maltby, and Hasek out and Ellis/Bootland and Howard in.

Nice summary. We're not in too bad of shape judging from this.

Guest Agalloch

We'd be in even better shape if two contracts weren't taking up fourteen million.

Not that they aren't worth it, but man.

Datsyuk 6.7m

Zetterberg 2.65m

Holmstrom 2.25m

Draper 2.128m

Samuelsson 1.2m

Franzen .942m

Filppula .733m

Cleary .663m

Kopecky .45m

Lidstrom 7.6m

Kronwall 3.0m

Lilja 1.0m

Lebda .65m

Osgood .85m

Jiri Hudler .525m

Todd Bertuzzi 5.269m

Lang 3.8m

Calder 2.95m

Maltby 1.406m

Schneider 3.3m

Markov 2.5m

Chelios 1.15m

Hasek 1.85m

i like bertuzzi but so far he hasnt shown anything to make me think he deserves to get 4.5 per season , he hasn't played in almost 2 seasons and any team would be stupid to give him that much money , id sign him to a 2 yr 6 million deal , take it or leave it

Edited by zetterbergfuturemvp

i like bertuzzi but so far he hasnt shown anything to make me think he deserves to get 4.5 per season , he hasn't played in almost 2 seasons and any team would be stupid to give him that much money , id sign him to a 2 yr 6 million deal , take it or leave it

The playoffs should tell us everything we need to know.

Personally, I've been very impressed. The guy hits like a freight train and has the hands of a much smaller skilled player. I think he's the perfect fit for this team, since he can play a puck possession style ,yet still make us a bgger, tougher team to play against. There are not many players around that fit that bill.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Airborn

Agreed.

We better keep developing prospects, because it's only going to get worse when Zetterberg's contract expires.

Holland didnt do a bad job of planning really - Lidstroms contract and Zetterbergs contract expire at the same time. Lidstrom will be 38 at that time. Hell, Lidstrom may even RETIRE after this contract is up. At any rate, assuming Lidstrom re-signs at age 38, Im sure hed re-sign for max 5M. Thats a 2.6M transfer that can be made bumping up Hanks salary to 5.25. Throw in another 1M, a likely increased cap, and Detroit will be just fine.

When Detroit needs a player like Bertuzzi as much as they do, its not "take it or leave it". A two year, 8M contract is reasonable, but if Detroit needs to go to 4.5, so be it.

Holland didnt do a bad job of planning really - Lidstroms contract and Zetterbergs contract expire at the same time. Lidstrom will be 38 at that time. Hell, Lidstrom may even RETIRE after this contract is up. At any rate, assuming Lidstrom re-signs at age 38, Im sure hed re-sign for max 5M. Thats a 2.6M transfer that can be made bumping up Hanks salary to 5.25. Throw in another 1M, a likely increased cap, and Detroit will be just fine.

I would think Zetterberg would have to make at least the salary Dats is getting, and probably more (inflation, better player). So, I'm guessing we'll need to throw in an extra 2 to 2.5 million.

Still a valid point; it's nice planning, and should make dealing with Zetterberg's contract easier.

Guest Agalloch

When Detroit needs a player like Bertuzzi as much as they do, its not "take it or leave it". A two year, 8M contract is reasonable, but if Detroit needs to go to 4.5, so be it.

What makes you so sure Lidstrom will resign for five million? He's still at the top of his game, and I don't see him slowing down soon with the type of game he plays.

Agreed.

We better keep developing prospects, because it's only going to get worse when Zetterberg's contract expires.

When Zetterberg's contract expires, Lidstrom may most likely be retiring or close to it (in 2 years). Zetterberg's salary will replace Lidstrom's, hopefully evening out the level to where it will be next season. I also don't believe Zetterberg will demand 6.7 when he gets a new contract, but will be in the area around 5.5 to about 6 million (just my opinion though).

zetterberg 2.65 datsyuk 7.6 holmstrom 2.25

calder 2.25 filppulla 710k bertuzzi 3.25

franzen 940 k hudler 900k grigorenko 850 k

cleary 660k draper 2.1 kopecky 450 k

450k 13th forward

= 25.060

lidstrom 7.6 markov 2.75

kronwall 3 kindl 850 k ( 6'2 200 pds , he needs to be brought up now to learn from chelios and lidstrom )

lebda 650 k chelios 850 k

quincey 510 k

= 16. 210

hasek 1

ozzie 850 k

total cap = 43.020

leaves us cap space to get someone else during the season if need be

i know its easier said than done but i say we try and trade lilja and samuelsson on draft day for late picks

if we can sign someone like a tkachuk to a reasonable price we can always move down kopecky to the 13th forward and move calder down to the 3rd line and franzen to the 4th

What makes you so sure Lidstrom will resign for five million? He's still at the top of his game, and I don't see him slowing down soon with the type of game he plays.

Hes still at the top of his game now - at age 37 - but its clear that his peak play has already passed. Thats been evident this year despite him still being the #1 Dman in the league. At age 38, after having been one of the top paid players for several years running, Lidstrom WILL take a paycut and a fairly significant one at that for a few reasons. 1) He wont be playing at the level he used to 2) It will likely reflect poorly on his character should he demand another 6-7M dollar season when other key players need to be re-signed....especially after Steve Yzerman took a paycut when he was in this position. 3) Lidstrom will not want to play for another team after playing his entire career in Detroit. Therefore, Detroit will have the upperhand in negotiations as the offers of other teams (should there be any) will merely be afterthoughts to Lidstrom.

The playoffs should tell us everything we need to know.

Personally, I've been very impressed. The guy hits like a freight train and has the hands of a much smaller skilled player. I think he's the perfect fit for this team, since he can play a puck possession style ,yet still make us a bgger, tougher team to play against. There are not many players around that fit that bill.

Edit: Grammar

doesnt mean hes worth 5 million dollars per season, thats just my opinion , he's gotta show more offense for that , his 2 goals so far didnt really look like a goal scorer's goal

I would think Zetterberg would have to make at least the salary Dats is getting, and probably more (inflation, better player). So, I'm guessing we'll need to throw in an extra 2 to 2.5 million.

Still a valid point; it's nice planning, and should make dealing with Zetterberg's contract easier.

I dont think Zetterberg will go for significantly more than Datsyuk...if at all more than Datsyuk. An extra 1M after the salary transfer would put Zetterberg at 6.25M. I doubt Zetterberg is going to ask for 7.25-7.75M per season. At most, I see him asking for the same as Datsyuk, which would be an extra ~1.5M.

i still think we might get into trouble especially if guys like hudler and filppulla devlop into the players we hope they will , if hudler gets 30 goals ( and its possible , he got 15 this year with barely any ice time ) then he's gonna get around 3 million easily, fillppulla should see that as well during zetterberg and datsyuk's big contracts .........lebda in a few yrs time will be getting a nice increase as will franzen ........its not only that i think datsyuk got too much money , he got to many years on his deal as well

and yes i know detroit needs a player like bertuzzi but doesnt mean we gotta over pay a guy whos barely played in 2 yrs and hasnt shown us anything close to the player he use to be , if your gonna pay him 4.5 per id rather get ryan smyth, hes a proven player and hasnt had any serious injuries .......again thats just my take on it

doesnt mean hes worth 5 million dollars per season, thats just my opinion , he's gotta show more offense for that , his 2 goals so far didnt really look like a goal scorer's goal

"Worth" is such a relative term. :P

I'd agree the offense hasn't come yet, but I think that has more to do with his timing. He's basically been out the entire year, and he's playing his way into shape now. That's why I think the playoffs will be so telling.