• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arin

07/08 Roster

Rate this topic

doesnt mean hes worth 5 million dollars per season, thats just my opinion , he's gotta show more offense for that , his 2 goals so far didnt really look like a goal scorer's goal

But Bertuzzi's got a lot of excuses on hand: Nearly two seasons off, coming off extensive back surgery, and joining a completely new team. The recovery period for all that combined is going to get him a lot of leeway in his contract negotiations and so far, he has brought all the intangibles that Detroit expected out of him: Grit, hitting, crashing the net, creating space for his linemates, and simply his imposing presence on the ice that makes opponents think twice about hits. Hes already made examples out of Cajanek, Tollefsen, and Svitov in, what? 6 games? Thats more damage to the opposition than any of our regulars has done all year. Thats what Detroit is looking for and they know they desperately need it - even moreso when having it after going so long without it.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Hes still at the top of his game now - at age 37 - but its clear that his peak play has already passed. Thats been evident this year despite him still being the #1 Dman in the league. At age 38, after having been one of the top paid players for several years running, Lidstrom WILL take a paycut and a fairly significant one at that for a few reasons. 1) He wont be playing at the level he used to 2) It will likely reflect poorly on his character should he demand another 6-7M dollar season when other key players need to be re-signed....especially after Steve Yzerman took a paycut when he was in this position. 3) Lidstrom will not want to play for another team after playing his entire career in Detroit. Therefore, Detroit will have the upperhand in negotiations as the offers of other teams (should there be any) will merely be afterthoughts to Lidstrom.

he's been saying hes going back to europe for years , and lets be honest theres only one steve yzerman , im sure nick is a good guy but theres no guarantee he's gonna take a big paycut especially if he keeps being in the top 3 in norris nominations, or even better , keep winning .......he can easily say ......you know what i won 3 cups had some good years ,made lots of money if im gonna have to take a 2-3 million cut i might as well just retire and go back to my hometown in sweden

But Bertuzzi's got a lot of excuses on hand: Nearly two seasons off, coming off extensive back surgery, and joining a completely new team. The recovery period for all that combined is going to get him a lot of leeway in his contract negotiations and so far, he has brought all the intangibles that Detroit expected out of him: Grit, hitting, crashing the net, creating space for his linemates, and simply his imposing presence on the ice that makes opponents think twice about hits. Hes already made examples out of Cajanek, Tollefsen, and Svitov in, what? 6 games? Thats more damage to the opposition than any of our regulars has done all year. Thats what Detroit is looking for and they know they desperately need it - even moreso when having it after going so long without it.

i understand he's got alot of excuses on hand but those excuses are also the reasons why we should be careful and not over pay him , what happens if he has another back injury and is out for 6 months ?? then we look like morons , especially if its a long deal and alot of money , only way id give him close to 5 million is if it was a 1 yr deal and he's not stupid he knows hes got injury problems so hes gonna ask for at least a 2-3 yr deal

"Worth" is such a relative term. :P

I'd agree the offense hasn't come yet, but I think that has more to do with his timing. He's basically been out the entire year, and he's playing his way into shape now. That's why I think the playoffs will be so telling.

yes it will , dont get me wrong i hope bertuzzi hits guys like crazy and can score huge goals , i just think we need to relax, wait and see if he's worth taking a chance on handing out 5 million per

i understand he's got alot of excuses on hand but those excuses are also the reasons why we should be careful and not over pay him , what happens if he has another back injury and is out for 6 months ?? then we look like morons , especially if its a long deal and alot of money , only way id give him close to 5 million is if it was a 1 yr deal and he's not stupid he knows hes got injury problems so hes gonna ask for at least a 2-3 yr deal

Realistically, Bertuzzi would never take that deal. He's got no reason to offer us a hometown discount, and he's surely going to get offered better deals than taht on the open market.

I think Smyth hitting the market in the same year helps, but there are only so many true power forwards in the league, and they're not gonna come cheap (or without risk in some cases).

Realistically, Bertuzzi would never take that deal. He's got no reason to offer us a hometown discount, and he's surely going to get offered better deals than taht on the open market.

I think Smyth hitting the market in the same year helps, but there are only so many true power forwards in the league, and they're not gonna come cheap (or without risk in some cases).

sure teams will be interested in bert , but if he has a lackluster playoffs then know one would offer him 5+ per season , hes too much of a risk at that price , teams have to think now with the cap , if it was 5 yrs ago know one would care and lock him up

I guess Holland will likely overpaid Betr in order to avoid loosing him and searching somebody else if he's enough room under the salary cap.

Holland has shown already couple of times in the past that he's no problems to incline on taking pretty spicy contracts, especially noticeable was it in the previous era with no salary cap.

No one even wants to sign any new people? :huh: You're really content with this roster? I'd take Sarich/Hamrlik over Markov/Schneider any day. We also should probably get a bonafide 2nd liner.

No one even wants to sign any new people? :huh: You're really content with this roster? I'd take Sarich/Hamrlik over Markov/Schneider any day. We also should probably get a bonafide 2nd liner.

We know Kenny will do the best for the team

Detroit Red Wings

NHL Age '06-07 '07-08 '08-09 '09-10 '10-11 '11-12 '12-13

Nicklas Lidstrom, D

37 7,600 7,600

# $ Todd Bertuzzi, RW

32 5,269 5,269 5,269 5,269

# $ Pavel Datsyuk, C

28 ____ 6,700 6,700 6,700 6,700 6,700 6,700

Robert Lang, C

36 3,800 ___NS__

# $ Mathieu Schneider, D

38 3,300 3,300

# $ Kyle Calder, LW

28 2,950 2,500

Henrik Zetterberg, C

26 2,600 2,700 2,900

# $ Danny Markov, D

30 2,500 2,700

Kris Draper, C

36 2,128 2,128

Tomas Holmstrom, RW 34 1,501 2,500 2,500 2,500

Jiri Fischer, D

26 1,444 NS

# $ Kirk Maltby, LW

34 1,368 1,000

Mikael Samuelsson, RW 30 1,200 1,200 1,200 TDP

Niklas Kronwall, D

26 1,140 3,000 3,000 3,000 3,000 3,000 3000

Andreas Lilja, D

31 1,000 1,000 TDP

Chris Osgood, G

34 900 800

# $ Chris Chelios, D

45 850 750

Johan Franzen, LW

27 775 900 1,150

# $ Dominik Hasek, G

42 750 750

Valtteri Filppula, C

23 710 850

Daniel Cleary, C

28 650 675

Brett Lebda, D

25 550 550 650 850

$Jiri Hudler, RW

23 525 600 750 750

Josh Langfeld, RW

29 525 NS

Matt Ellis, LW

25 450 NS

$ Tomas Kopecky, LW 25 450 450

Matt Hussey, C

28 450 NS

Minor League Age '06-07 '07-08 '08-09 '09-10 '10-11 '11-12 '12-13

Jimmy Howard, G

22 710 850

Evan McGrath, C

21 600 650 650

Stefan Liv, G

26 575

Jonathan Ericsson, D

22 515 475

Kyle Quincey, D

21 510 535

Dan Smith, D

30 500

Darryl Bootland, RW

25 475

Brad Norton, D

32 450

Derek Meech, D

22 450

Logan Koopmans, G

22 450

Eric Himelfarb, C

24 450

Brendan Brooks, C

28 450

NS= Means not to resign

TDP= mean Trade to dump payroll

# = Should be Resigned

$ = I added their Payroll and the years

total 45,722

Trade Samuelsson and Lilly pad for SAMSONOV

Put him With bert Lineand That will put Us up to 49247

Unless Ken Holland were to propose that deal, it won't happen. As much as we all like to rag on both of those guys, the managment obviously feels differently about them than most of us. If they felt the same way we all do, both Samulesson and Lilja would have been traded for pucks or future considerations. Take your pick. :P

Besides, Montreal will most likely buy out Samsonov. Coming off the season he had, we actually would be able to pick him up at a much cheaper cost, if Holland wanted too..

Current wings signed for next year, and their cap number:

Datsyuk 6.7m

Zetterberg 2.65m

Holmstrom 2.25m

Draper 2.128m

Samuelsson 1.2m

Franzen .942m

Filppula .733m

Cleary .663m

Kopecky .45m

Lidstrom 7.6m

Kronwall 3.0m

Lilja 1.0m

Lebda .65m

Osgood .85m

That totals up to 30.816m, with four forwards, three defensemen, and a goalie left to sign. The cap is expected to rise to about 47.5 million, which leaves 16.684m to fill out the roster.

Roster RFAs expected to resign, and current cap number:

Jiri Hudler .525m

Hudler will likely be resigned for about .75m, leaving 15.934 to sign three forwards, three defensemen, and a goalie.

Notable UFAs, and current cap number:

Todd Bertuzzi 5.269m

Lang 3.8m

Calder 2.95m

Maltby 1.406m

Schneider 3.3m

Markov 2.5m

Chelios 1.15m

Hasek 1.85m

These guys total up to 22.225m.

Hasek will likely retire, and Lang and Maltby will likely be let go as UFAs.

We'll use Howard as the backup goalie as he is likely to make more than Liv. His .733 reduces the available amount to 15.201m for three up front and three on D.

Calder should sign for about 2m. That would reduce the remaining cap to 13.201m

Ellis or Bootland should sign as 13th forward for 500k, which means 12.701m.

Schneider should sign for 3.7m or less. 9.001m remaining.

Markov likely will sign for 2.75m or less. 6.251m remaining.

Chelios could be had for 1m or less total cap hit. 5.251 remaining.

Bertuzzi will likely be resigned for no more than 4.5m, which means the Wings shoudl have a minimum of 750k free cap space, with the only roster changes being Lang, Maltby, and Hasek out and Ellis/Bootland and Howard in.

:thumbup:

ill take this option

Maybe not Hamrlik/Schneider, but Markov really doesnt bring much to the table and Sarich/Hamrlik would be much better choices than Markov.

Hamrlik's also getting 25 minutes a game and could be a good partner for Lidstrom.

It all depends on Schneider's contract though.

Trade Samuelsson and Lilly pad for SAMSONOV

Put him With bert Lineand That will put Us up to 49247

:clap: That would be a great trade. Montreal doesn't want him and they would take anyone for him. But, is he a UFA at the end of this season???

but Markov really doesnt bring much to the table

Agreed.

Edited by Zetter is Better

Agreed.

We better keep developing prospects, because it's only going to get worse when Zetterberg's contract expires.

sometimes i wonder if you can do basic math. these 2 contracts are for players we need to have on the team, end of story. There is no way zet will be let go when his contract comes into negotiation and we have about 2 years of changes plus increasing cap ceiling to use to our benefit. Honestly stop smashing the panic button

i like bertuzzi but so far he hasnt shown anything to make me think he deserves to get 4.5 per season , he hasn't played in almost 2 seasons and any team would be stupid to give him that much money , id sign him to a 2 yr 6 million deal , take it or leave it

4.5 was the maximum figure I had for Bertuzzi. That's what 'no more than' means.

It doesn't mean BERTUZZI ROXXORZ, LET'S BUST OUR CAP ON HIM ZOMG WTFBBQ!1

Yeah, you all remember we lose a 2nd rounder if we resign Bert, too... Right? We better be in the market for a power forward(s) before resigning Bert. Nothing against Bert, but there are plenty of power forwards who are similiar/better that could be available next year without giving up a 2nd rounder.

Has anyone thought to leave cap room for any potential trades or call ups we may need or want to do?

no im sure management completely forgot this and didnt think about it....

No one knows what the cap will be or what the contracts will end up like... Settle down, we're just putting some ideas out. :huh:

What do you guys think about getting Sarich and/or Hartnell?

sometimes i wonder if you can do basic math. these 2 contracts are for players we need to have on the team, end of story. There is no way zet will be let go when his contract comes into negotiation and we have about 2 years of changes plus increasing cap ceiling to use to our benefit. Honestly stop smashing the panic button

Sometimes I wonder if you have basic reading comprehension skills. Who's hitting the panic button?

I certainly don't disagree with signing Datsuk and Zetterberg. I was making the point that, as Zetterberg and Datsuk's salaries take up more of our cap room, we will need more good young players to fill out the roster.

There is no guarantee the cap is going to keep going up, and even if it does players are going to demand more money. Realistically, Zetterberg should sign for more than Pavel (I think people are kidding themselves who don't believe this). The bottom line is, we are going to need to cut costs somewhere. Hence my point of having good young players developed to take over for less important veterans that we can no longer afford.