• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Elshupacabra

Regular Season Awards

Rate this topic

That will never happen with him on the same team as Malkin and playing significantly more than Staal. Staal probably won't even be top-two.

I didn't list predictions of who will win. I listed my personal choices.

I give Jordan Staal the vote for excellent two-way play in his rookie season. Opportunistic goal scoring coupled with being on the ice protecting leads in the final minute of the game at 18 years of age -- a very, very good achievement. Kid is a gamer.

Actually, in the last 10 years, there have been very few winners that have had 60 points or more.

Yzerman in 2000 with 79 points is the only first-time winner with 60+ points since Fedorov in 94.

The complete list of first-time finalists to win and score 60+ points is as follows:

1983: Bobby Clarke, Phi, 85 pts

1986: Troy Murray, Chi, 99 pts

1987: Dave Poulin, Phi, 70 pts

1993: Doug Gilmour, Tor, 127 pts

2006: Rod Brind'Amour, Car, 70 points.

Five winners of 28 were first-time finalists with 60+ points. Zetterberg should make that six in 29.

Jennings--This trophy is to the goalie or goalies who played 25 or more games for the team tha tallowed the fewest goals in the regular season--what the Vezina was for years between around 1970 and 1983. This trophy is already the property of Minnesota's tandem of Manny Fernandez and Niklas Backstrom.

How is this possible when??

Bryzgalov has 27 games played and 62 goals allowed

Backstrom has 41 games played and 72 goals allowed

Fernandez has 44 games played and 103 goals allowed

I've read all the previous postings, found them interesting, but prefer not to get into moot speculations. However, I do have a specific question regarding the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy.

"The Lady Byng Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season."

Does the sports writers association automatically "give" this award to the player with the lowest amount of penalties (Pierre Marc-Bouchard, 82 games, 14 minutes of penalties; Pavel Datsyuk, 79 games, 20 minutes of penalties)? Or does the "high standard of playing ability" factor-in heavily?

Additionally, the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy could just be a "Red Wings possession" for the next ten years, as Filppula usually has even less penalties than Datsyuk!

Finally, to the person who began this topic, you did not give your "picks," as "picks" would be ONE player; you gave suggestions or nominations!

I've read all the previous postings, found them interesting, but prefer not to get into moot speculations. However, I do have a specific question regarding the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy.

"The Lady Byng Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season."

Does the sports writers association automatically "give" this award to the player with the lowest amount of penalties (Pierre Marc-Bouchard, 82 games, 14 minutes of penalties; Pavel Datsyuk, 79 games, 20 minutes of penalties)? Or does the "high standard of playing ability" factor-in heavily?

Additionally, the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy could just be a "Red Wings possession" for the next ten years, as Filppula usually has even less penalties than Datsyuk!

Finally, to the person who began this topic, you did not give your "picks," as "picks" would be ONE player; you gave suggestions or nominations!

Lady Byng is not statistically determined like the Art Ross. Stats (i.e. low PIM's + other stats, usually offensive) are used in the decision, but definately not automatic.

Jennings--This trophy is to the goalie or goalies who played 25 or more games for the team tha tallowed the fewest goals in the regular season--what the Vezina was for years between around 1970 and 1983. This trophy is already the property of Minnesota's tandem of Manny Fernandez and Niklas Backstrom.

How is this possible when??

Bryzgalov has 27 games played and 62 goals allowed

Backstrom has 41 games played and 72 goals allowed

Fernandez has 44 games played and 103 goals allowed

Bryzgalov does not play for the team that allowed the fewest goals.

You first find the team that allowed the fewest goals (i.e. Minnesota) and they you determine what goalies on that team have played 25 games or more, if there is only one, then he wins the award, if there are more than one, they share it. It is really a team award.

All the stats point towards Nic picking up his 5th Norris in 6 years.

Its between Nic, Pronger and Niedermayer really.

Nic was 5th overall in points with 62. Niedermayer topped with 69. Pronger 7th with 59.

Nic was joint top +- with +40 alond with Preissing. Pronger 8th +27 and Niedermayer way down in 68th with +6.

TOI is closer with Niedermayer 2nd with 27.30, Nic 3rd 27.29 and Pronger 4th 27.05. A close run thing this year

but I would say the Captain should get the trophy once more.

Gleason's predictions, Buffalo News

here's an "expert" opinion on awardees for the post-season hardware.

Excerpt: "Goalies play the most important position. Hasek’s value wasn’t just in the opportunities he stopped but the ones he created. The Sabres took more chances with him in net, and they gained confidence knowing he was back there . And that’s how Vancouver thrived this season with goalie Roberto Luongo."

bolded portion of excerpt ^^^ still true! ;)

He doesn't pick Nick for Norris, other than that, Bucky has some good points. Interesting read, anyway.