• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Earthhuman

Rivalry with Nashville, long-lasting?

Rate this topic

Guest Tunbo Batman

basically, no team can stay great long enough to become our true rivals :P St-louis faced us 4 times but now they are gone. the Avs were great for 10 years but its fading. Toronto? lol.

And Nashville? well, despite the NHL's best efforts to stifle teams like DET in favor of useless expansion teams like NSH, they still havent won anything. and once San Jose assrapes them again in round 1 and Forsberg leaves, those 4 players WILL seem like a high price to pay. I bet they won't be able to compete for that long, cuz new expansion teams are coming baby, and then baby NSH won't be Bettmans little favorite anymore.

Guest Tunbo Batman

that wasnt the point at all. the point is : can they be good long enough? my answer is no.

you people are still responding to this guy? thats almost as bad as his argument. and besides, I'M supposed to be defending the preds here, I know it must be killing everyone :P

BTW...

Bertuzzi, Calder, Chelios, Cleary, Draper, Hasek, Lang, Langfeld, Lebda, Lilja, Maltby, Markov, Samuelsson, Schneider... not drafted by the wings, and Osgood was a re-aquisition.

Wings must be horrible at drafting right? I wonder if they can stay competitive for the next 3-4 seasons :rolleyes:

and another thing to end your entire argument.

If you say that we're such a horrible drafting team, then why would it be a bad thing to trade our picks for established players? we're obviously not going to do anything good with those picks anyway.

two third rounders for Sullivan? freaking STEAL. two injury prone prospects and two picks for Forsberg? Not bad. Mike Dunham for Rem Murray and Marek Zidlicky? Poile should go to prison for that robbery.

Vokoun and Timonen came through the expansion draft. no picks/prospects lost in that one. Got scott walker in the expansion draft, traded him for Vasicek, traded him for Belanger and traded him for Vishnevsky. no picks/prospects lost in that one. signed Dumont, Kariya, Arnott, Nichol, Fiddler and Smithson as free agents. no picks/prospects lost there.

So the only time that we traded picks or prospects was for two players. TWO.

what was your argument again?

... So! We're better. :P

You guys win. We'll see if my theory pans out.

A long time ago, the Detroit Red Wings drafted defensemen Maxim Kutznetsov ahead of Marc Savard, Michael Handzus, and Miika Kirpursoff. ;)

:crazy: ouch, I didn't know that...

Edited by Elshupacabra

A long time ago, the Detroit Red Wings drafted defensemen Maxim Kutznetsov ahead of Marc Savard, Michael Handzus, and Miika Kirpursoff. ;)

Shh... I need you're calm logic on my side for this one.

Tell them how Nashville sucks.

Nashville is a rival of Detroit, that has been established. But it's hard to hate a terrible team. Don't get me wrong, Nashville is very talented and hard working. But Kariya ans Sullivan were aquired. Timonen was aquired. Forsberg was aquired. Vishnesky and Vokoun... aquired. Arnott, Dumont, Nichol, and Zidlicky were also ALL aquired. Nobody drafted beyond the first round makes the team. The point is, the team is an awful drafter. Not to mention, they traded away their future for a guy who could be injured pretty early into the playoffs (As a matter of fact, it would be a safe bet).

Proof, their best prospect: (From HockeysFuture

Will Nashville be competitive a few years down the road, when their stars begin to age? Many of them (Forsberg, Kariya, Sullivan, Zidlicky, Arnott, Timonen, and more) are years above 30.

I don't think so.

Haven't people been saying this very same thing about the Wings for years now? Trade away too many draft picks, will be screwed once their older stars leave, yada yada yada.

:rolleyes:

Anaheim, Calgary, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Nashville, Phoenix, San Jose, St. Louis, Vancouver are all the Red Wings rivals. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jwo

I'm sorry but what rivalry? Rivalries are formed when teams consistently beat each other in the playoffs. When has Nashville beaten us? Even in the regular season Nashville cant consistently beat Detroit. Just improving your team and playing in the same division does not make a rivalry. Nashville is a good team and thats it. There is no rivalry. To many Wings fans want a rivalry with Nashville to fill there Colorado void and to many Nashville fans think its a rivalry because they have little brother syndrome with the Wings. Talk about a rivalry after a couple playoffs series.

Edited by GoalieManPat

I'm sorry but what rivalry? Rivalries are formed when teams consistently beat each other in the playoffs. When has Nashville beaten us? Even in the regular season Nashville cant consistently beat Detroit. Just improving your team and playing in the same division does not make a rivalry. Nashville is a good team and thats it. There is no rivalry. To many Wings fans want a rivalry with Nashville to fill there Colorado void and to many Nashville fans think its a rivalry because they have little brother syndrome with the Wings. Talk about a rivalry after a couple playoffs series.

Go back in the past two months or so, find all the threads dealing with Nashville, and tell me it's not a rivalry. If enough fans are calling it a rivalry, then it's a rivalry, and just 'cause you're part of the vocal minority insisting it's not doesn't make it true.

Go back in the past two months or so, find all the threads dealing with Nashville, and tell me it's not a rivalry. If enough fans are calling it a rivalry, then it's a rivalry, and just 'cause you're part of the vocal minority insisting it's not doesn't make it true.

I disagree. The vocals here on the boards that are trying to make it a rivalry doesn't make it a rivalry. The only reason the games were talked so much was because Nashville was ahead of Detroit in the standings. Had Detroit been ahead of Nashville for most the season these games wouldn't have gotten the same talk as every other game. When there was a "true" rivalry between Detroit and Colorado you could ask anyone in Detroit (even non hockey fans) who the Avalanche were and they would have something bad to say about them. Ask non hockey fans now who the Predators are and they'll probably answer "Arent they the team that lost the Super Bowl by 1 yard?". Rivalries are made in the playoffs, not because some team challenges for the division for the first time.

Yeah, that David Legwand guy didn't work out too well.

Sorry. Just had to do it. Legwand was drafted in the '98 entry draft in the first round. Shea Weber was drafted in "02.

Erat, Hamhuis, Hartnell: all drafted by Nashville.

If you would like to see more, here you go.

http://nashvillepredators.com/team/

Awww damn. My response was stolen by the 2nd or 3rd person to reply :(

Know what's crazy? Detroit is an expansion team. The NHL started out in 1917 with 5 Canadian teams. The Detroit Cougars entered in the 1926-27 season during the second expansion phase.

I wonder if members of the Bulldogs laughed about the validity of an American team like the Cougars and asked if they'd stay afloat in what was surely a solely Canadian passion.

To say Nashville cannot draft and develop players is way off. They have an advantage typically that the Red Wings don't which is higher and earlier draft picks, whether it be through trades or the Red Wings regular season success. However, even with the lack of high picks, the Red Wings have done a remarkable job developing and keeping players selected in later rounds. This is why so many people despise Detroit's success, because even with limited draft picks, the Red Wings scouting department always seems to thrive. On behalf of the rivalry argument, there should be none because Nashville is not a rival. I think true rivalries in all cases do not involve one team constantly abusing the other team, which the Red Wings always do to the Predators. Three seasons of limited success for Nashville does not make them a threat to the Wings. Nashville hasn't won the division, playoff series, or even a regular season series from the Wings yet. Maybe Nashville is dying for someone to be their rival, but to the Red Wings the Predators are just another team.

Nashville is our best rival, sadly.

Our rivalry with the Avs is dead. We don't play the Leafs (or any eastern team) enough. The Blackhawks and Blues are too one sided to be a rival.

The Preds are the default rival.

Haven't people been saying this very same thing about the Wings for years now? Trade away too many draft picks, will be screwed once their older stars leave, yada yada yada.

:rolleyes:

We have no organizational depth. We have an abundance of over-the-hill players. Luckily our drafting is top notch. Nashville's isn't. Just an opinion. Although you all hae convinced me that it's not horrible.

I would say the Wings no longer have a true rival, since the end of the Avalanche era. I just don't understand how Nashville can be a rival when they NEVER beat the Red Wings at anything. Maybe if the two teams meet at some point in the playoffs this season then maybe that will create more of a rivalry. But until the Predators prove they can compete and beat the Red Wings at something significant, then this is not a rivalry.