• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Great Use of Technology for NHL

Rate this topic

I have a proposal for the NHL that would really use technology for a good use, unlike the glowpuck. It would eliminate the video review for knowing if the puck crossed the line. What do you people think?

- The goal line would have 2 lines of electonic sensors on either side of it running between the posts (in the goal and on the other side of the line) to determine if the puck crossed the line entirely.

As I type these things, it is hard to imagine, so I will attempt to show (throught text) the general idea.

|X|

|X|

|X|

| Represents the sensors along the goal line, X represents the red paint of the goal line

- the puck would have 2 bands of a metallic material that the sensors would pick up (running along the top and bottom edges/corners of the puck). Now before I get flamed, I would think that the puck weight, density, and material would remain unchanged if possible. Perhaps a copper filament would be used. I say on the top and bottom because if a puck were to roll in on its edge, laterally (as opposed to tire-style) then both sensors would have to be completely over the line for the goal to count, which typically is the hardest way to determine the puck's location compared to the goal line.

- Now, when 100% of both of the metallic bands crossed both sensors under the goal line, there would be a transmission to the goal light and the horn would sound. If a goalie had control and the glove went in and the camera lost sight of the puck, the light would still come on. But that would be something that coaches, players, and fans could not argue.

I've recently been thinking about this too and that's pretty much the same method I came up with only I was thinking one sensor around the center of the circumference of the puck. It seems like a no brainer idea doesn't it? I think that the NHL will come up with something eventually anyway.

I've recently been thinking about this too and that's pretty much the same method I came up with only I was thinking one sensor around the center of the circumference of the puck. It seems like a no brainer idea doesn't it? I think that the NHL will come up with something eventually anyway.

I'm sure a few people have, but I really sat down one day and did sketches and also found out that if it is a disc in the centerm then only the disc would have to be in, not the entire puck. So I came up with the bands around the edges of the puck and it solved the problem.

Mmm.. I don't like it. Too much trouble to go through for something that is only argued a few times a season.

Honestly, how often are refs not able to determine whether a goal went in or not, especially after video review? No more than a few times a season.

Would it really be worth it to put sensors in the ice and in every puck just for those few times every season? I don't think so.

What I would like to see is a mini-scoreboard on either side of the rink behind the goals (behind the glass). Like how in basketball teams can see how much time they have left on the shot clock, it'd be nice for hockey players to have a way to see how much time is left on a Power Play, or even left in the period, so they can get a shot off in time.

I'm sure a few people have, but I really sat down one day and did sketches and also found out that if it is a disc in the centerm then only the disc would have to be in, not the entire puck. So I came up with the bands around the edges of the puck and it solved the problem.

Yeah. I don't disagree with you. It's actually a bertter solution than I had. It would put the goal judges out of a job for sure.

I was one of the people who thought about the problems with putting the sensor in the center of the puck. Around the edges solves that, though.

One thing that would be a little weird is having the goal light on and the goal horn sound after the refs blow the whistle, which would probably be enough to really upset the fans and even the players on a no-goal situation.

Mmm.. I don't like it. Too much trouble to go through for something that is only argued a few times a season.

Honestly, how often are refs not able to determine whether a goal went in or not, especially after video review? No more than a few times a season.

Would it really be worth it to put sensors in the ice and in every puck just for those few times every season? I don't think so.

What I would like to see is a mini-scoreboard on either side of the rink behind the goals (behind the glass). Like how in basketball teams can see how much time they have left on the shot clock, it'd be nice for hockey players to have a way to see how much time is left on a Power Play, or even left in the period, so they can get a shot off in time.

The shoot-out loss to STL and I'm sure the same for them with their 2 calls with McGoo the Fool. I would rather have a few more bucks spent on something than have a bad call cost a team a play-off spot or the Cup.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

The shoot-out loss to STL and I'm sure the same for them with their 2 calls with McGoo the Fool. I would rather have a few more bucks spent on something than have a bad call cost a team a play-off spot or the Cup.

So you think it would be worth it to put sensors in every rink for every team, and in every puck that would be used in the NHL, just for those few times? No way.

most rinks have something like that on the walls between the upper and lower bowls. there is usually a few spots other than the big board where the time/penalties/score is displayed

So you think it would be worth it to put sensors in every rink for every team, and in every puck that would be used in the NHL, just for those few times? No way.

They've done it before. Do you remember the GlowPuck? It's not a big deal to change things like this. I'm not asking that rinks be widened by 10 feet, I'm asking for a reliable way to tell if the F'ing puck is in the net.

most rinks have something like that on the walls between the upper and lower bowls. there is usually a few spots other than the big board where the time/penalties/score is displayed

I know that, but somewhere that player's wouldn't really have to make an effort to see it. Like above the goal judge's box or something.

Just a suggestion.. :unsure:

if fox could put a chip in the puck to show a glowing light, then there's no reason the NHL couldn't do for judging goals

I've heard this proposed before and I really think this would be the way to go

They've done it before. Do you remember the GlowPuck? It's not a big deal to change things like this. I'm not asking that rinks be widened by 10 feet, I'm asking for a reliable way to tell if the F'ing puck is in the net.

And while that would work, what about (as a poster above said) when the puck goes in after a whistle, or the net comes off and the puck slides across the line afterwards? Off go the sirens and horns, but no goal.

Will there be a whistle sensor in every puck that disables the goal-scoring sensors or something? :P

And while that would work, what about (as a poster above said) when the puck goes in after a whistle, or the net comes off and the puck slides across the line afterwards? Off go the sirens and horns, but no goal.

Will there be a whistle sensor in every puck that disables the goal-scoring sensors or something? :P

I honestly didn't think about the goal off the moorings, but that could be fixed to, if the goal comes up off of the ice, it trips a magnetic sensor and the puck going in doesn't activate the light.

Ok, the auto siren is a bad idea, so the man in the box could stil have a job ringing the horn.

I like it - the same notion has occurred to me on several occasions when the validity of a goal was disputed & in any situation that could otherwise be verified by this relativley simple idea.

The biggest problems would have to be calibration of the system and the fact that the puck would have to be a passive device - obviously any elctronics would create an un-balanced device & obviously never be able to survive the abuse a puck sees. Still, it seems like it should be a pretty simple thing to accomplish.

Now that you mention it, I have also had the same thoughts regarding football - especially since they have that whole "breaking the plane of the goal line" deal which seems to be a constant source of debate during just about every other rushing touchdown these days...

I have a proposal for the NHL that would really use technology for a good use, unlike the glowpuck. It would eliminate the video review for knowing if the puck crossed the line. What do you people think?

- The goal line would have 2 lines of electonic sensors on either side of it running between the posts (in the goal and on the other side of the line) to determine if the puck crossed the line entirely.

As I type these things, it is hard to imagine, so I will attempt to show (throught text) the general idea.

|X|

|X|

|X|

| Represents the sensors along the goal line, X represents the red paint of the goal line

- the puck would have 2 bands of a metallic material that the sensors would pick up (running along the top and bottom edges/corners of the puck). Now before I get flamed, I would think that the puck weight, density, and material would remain unchanged if possible. Perhaps a copper filament would be used. I say on the top and bottom because if a puck were to roll in on its edge, laterally (as opposed to tire-style) then both sensors would have to be completely over the line for the goal to count, which typically is the hardest way to determine the puck's location compared to the goal line.

- Now, when 100% of both of the metallic bands crossed both sensors under the goal line, there would be a transmission to the goal light and the horn would sound. If a goalie had control and the glove went in and the camera lost sight of the puck, the light would still come on. But that would be something that coaches, players, and fans could not argue.

I like that idea. :thumbup: Because there have been too many "inconclusive" goal judge calls and IMO some were clearly in (*cough* Cleary's shoot-out shot on Bacaushua) <_< . A system like that would ensure that a goal was either in or out for sure, which could make or brake a game.

I like it - the same notion has occurred to me on several occasions when the validity of a goal was disputed & in any situation that could otherwise be verified by this relativley simple idea.

The biggest problems would have to be calibration of the system and the fact that the puck would have to be a passive device - obviously any elctronics would create an un-balanced device & obviously never be able to survive the abuse a puck sees. Still, it seems like it should be a pretty simple thing to accomplish.

Now that you mention it, I have also had the same thoughts regarding football - especially since they have that whole "breaking the plane of the goal line" deal which seems to be a constant source of debate during just about every other rushing touchdown these days...

Yep, wrap a layer of something between the inflatable part of the ball and the skin and it it all goes over the line... TOUCHDOWN!

Ok, the auto siren is a bad idea, so the man in the box could stil have a job ringing the horn.

So.. A light would come on in the judge's booth and then when it comes on he presses the button that sets the sensor off? And that magnetic thing that disables the sensor in the puck/goal line when the goal comes off it's moores sounds kind of complicated.

I'm still not sold. :D

Yep, wrap a layer of something between the inflatable part of the ball and the skin and it it all goes over the line... TOUCHDOWN!

Much too broad! What if it's passed to the end zone, and goes over the goal line, but is incomplete?! Touchdown!

Same thing applies to hockey, only its completely different. :P

Edited for clarity.

Edited by DetroitRockCity13

So.. A light would come on in the judge's booth and then when it comes on he presses the button that sets the sensor off? And that magnetic thing that disables the sensor in the puck/goal line when the goal comes off it's moores sounds kind of complicated.

I'm still not sold. :D

Much too broad! What if it's passed and goes over the goal line?! Touchdown!

Same thing applies to hockey, only its completely different. :P

As long as we're in agreement :thumbup::D

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Mickey Redmond has been proposing this for years. One thing I always thought about was, Woulden't it be too easy to just hide one those filiments in your skate or somthing? then if the puck was even close to the line just throw your foot in there? I'm sure there is some fix to that too but either way I don't see it happening anytime soon.

They use something like this in marathons. You get what's called "chip timing" which is basically a chip that is identified when crossed over a line at the finish. Such a chip, or chip's material could be on a puck? I like it. It doesn't really matter if the puck crosses the line if the goal is knocked off it's moorings, or if the puck is in the goalie's glove, more of the video replay and discretion of the ref would determine the actual result of the play. But this device would accurately tell you if the pucked crossed the line, period. Does that info factor into the resulting call? Maybe, maybe not.

Good idea!

esteef