• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zion

Calgary's Biggest Advantage

Rate this topic

The sunday game here,on TV comes on at 11:00 am....like I don't like to sleep in on a Sunday :rolleyes:

Would you rather trade places and have all of the road games start at 10:00pm when you have to get up at 6 the next morning?

I don't understand why Flames fans on their board are complaining about that. It's not like it's 7am or something, it's friggin 11. Get your lazy ass up. :crazy:

Last I checked, both teams will have to make the flight from Detroit to Calgary for that one.

People should keep that in mind.

I seem to recall quite a few of our back-to-backs were against teams that were in the middle of homestands with a day full of rest. It isn't exactly the same situation when both teams have to travel at the same time.

Well yes, Flames did suck in Afternoon games....until the last Chicago one...they did win

That was when they turned there road record around and won 2 at home (against Preds\and wings)

and then won the 4 in a row on the road

The sunday game here,on TV comes on at 11:00 am....like I don't like to sleep in on a Sunday :rolleyes:

I hate Afternoon games, I can Imagine how the players feel about it.

I wake up around 4:30am during the week, no later than 8:00an on weekends, so it's not all that torturous...

Anyways, throw whatever "advantage" this might be out of the window. We won't know how the teams will react after game 5 (assuming it makes it that far) or how gassed out they might be. Sure, going back to the Saddledome could help Calgary, but who knows how mentally and physically worn out both teams will be playing on the next night.

We just won't know until the time comes.

This is typical stupidity from Bettman and the NHL. Back-to-Back games in the playoffs are completely uncalled for, regardless of the teams or whatever NBC and Versus wants. Let's face it, the teams should not have to sacrifice for a television contract. People are going to watch their team no matter what day or time they play, and honestly putting more marketable teams on in "primetime" is not going to get the casual fan to stop and watch. Consecutive nights in a series like Atlanta/NY Rangers is still dumb, but more reasonable because of the travel distance involved. Detroit to Calgary is not exactly a quick plane ride. Hopefully, the Red Wings win it in five so this isn't a problem, but this further proves Gary Bettman as one of the world's biggest idiots.

Edited by GoWings1905

Oddly, I think the flames won the second game of every one of their back to backs this year. Close to it anyway.

On the flipside, the Flames are horrible in afternoon games. Always have been it seems, and game 2 is a morning game for us no less. If the schedule makers did calgary any favours with the back to back set, it was more than made up for on the afternoon games.

Actually, the Flames are 1 game UNDER .500 in their second of the back-to-back games. ALL teams struggle whenthey are tired and the opposition is fresh. In theplayoffs,that doesn';t matter, since there are no "fresher" teams.

Why is everybody so god damned pessimistic about stupid s***. Do you KNOW FOR A FACT that we cant win a back to back game? NO, so quick screwing with the cosmos and keep that attitude positive!

I wouldn't say that, as I was extremely impressed by the back-to-back sweep of Nashville during our last home-and-home with them.

I wake up around 4:30am during the week, no later than 8:00an on weekends, so it's not all that torturous...

Anyways, throw whatever "advantage" this might be out of the window. We won't know how the teams will react after game 5 (assuming it makes it that far) or how gassed out they might be. Sure, going back to the Saddledome could help Calgary, but who knows how mentally and physically worn out both teams will be playing on the next night.

Just remember two things:

1) Detroit is older and doesn't travel as well.

2) Calgary is more physical and has, in my opinion, a better home-ice advantage.

I wouldn't say that, as I was extremely impressed by the back-to-back sweep of Nashville during our last home-and-home with them.

Just remember two things:

1) Detroit is older and doesn't travel as well.

2) Calgary is more physical and has, in my opinion, a better home-ice advantage.

You are quite the negative nancy aren't you...

1. Detroit has a solid home ice advantage.

2. Calgary stinks on the road.

You can tell me A,B,C....and then I can counter with X,Y,Z.

There are so many intangibles you can throw to swing the favor in either Detroit or Calgary. None of the intangibles are going to matter, we're going to have to wait until game 5/6 to see which team is going to be worn out more...

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Why is everybody so god damned pessimistic about stupid s***. Do you KNOW FOR A FACT that we cant win a back to back game? NO, so quick screwing with the cosmos and keep that attitude positive!

A-freaking-MEN. If it's not one thing it's another. Oh no, the Flames are really good at home. Oh gosh, the Wings are lousy in Western Canada. Oh crap, back-to-back games. Oh horrors, too old to travel.

Chuck all that s**t right out the window when the puck drops. Certain people are hunting in every corner for reasons the Wings will lose. I'd expect that from Calgary fans - when it's fellow Wings fans doing it I really have to question why.

Not saying much about the Flames if some of you think this is our "Biggest" advantage.

I agree. If some of you think this is the Flames biggest advantage, you are overlooking them big time.

Here's hoping the Wings don't, and put them down in 5 anyway. :P

I agree. If some of you think this is the Flames biggest advantage, you are overlooking them big time.

Here's hoping the Wings don't, and put them down in 5 anyway. :P

I think this is their biggest advantage that the Wings can't shut down with ease. :P

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Last I checked, both teams will have to make the flight from Detroit to Calgary for that one.

A little easier for the Flames to take that flight *home* as opposed to a road barn, wouldn't you say? I'm not saying that the Red Wings can't win that game -- they obviously can -- but the question was if it was an advantage for Calgary and I'd say it's hard to deny that it isn't.

A-freaking-MEN. If it's not one thing it's another. Oh no, the Flames are really good at home. Oh gosh, the Wings are lousy in Western Canada. Oh crap, back-to-back games. Oh horrors, too old to travel.

Chuck all that s**t right out the window when the puck drops. Certain people are hunting in every corner for reasons the Wings will lose. I'd expect that from Calgary fans - when it's fellow Wings fans doing it I really have to question why.

:clap:

I find myself wondering why some seem to want to see certain players or the team fail, hunting for reasons/excuses.

Self-fulfilling prophecy is not a myth. If we think they can do it and the Wings think they can, only the refs and hockey gods stand in our way.

STOP IT!!!STOP IT!!!sTOP IT!!!

MY Wings won the West...They are the most dominant franchise in recent NHL history. They have a bunch of hall-of-famers and the other talent is excellent. Their goalies are two of the best in the league. STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT CALGARY'S GONNA DO TO US AND START MAKING CALGARY WORRY ABOUT WHAT'S GOING TO BE INFLICTED ON THEM!!! (with all due credit to General Patton.) :yowza:

If you have gathered anything from this season and for that matter seasons past...........we have dominated the Central (Nashville, Chicago, Columbus, St. Loses). That is like giving us 25 wins a year. I believe we were like 4-8 against Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton this year and like 1-3 on the road versus those teams. Playing out West is not as easy as it looks on paper, thats why everyone on the site is cautious.

well, we should just take care of business in 4 then. :P

We'll be riding high on the momentum the Pain Train is going to bring, just don't be worried folks.. Phaneuf? Regehr? fuggedaboutit!! We have the Pain Train!

not sure if this has been said, but there could be a month off between games 5 and 6, fact is Detroit has a horrible time at the Pengrowth Saddledome. Calgary's biggest advantage, excluding their superior goaltending, scary defense, hard hitting forwards, iginla, Dion, and explosive offense, I would have to say is their arena and the fans that fill it up. That place will be rocking and you won't be able to hear the announcers, especially in game 6, because that means either they can win it or they can tie it. either way, its a huge game.

A little easier for the Flames to take that flight *home* as opposed to a road barn, wouldn't you say? I'm not saying that the Red Wings can't win that game -- they obviously can -- but the question was if it was an advantage for Calgary and I'd say it's hard to deny that it isn't.

I don't think it's any more of an advantage for Calgary than it would be if there were a day off. It's only an advantage for Calgary because it's a home game. Both teams are gonna hop a plane about 8 PM and land roughly the same time in Calgary. Some might call it an advantage for the Wings because their sole focus for about 36 hours will be hockey and the team, whereas the Flames are gonna go home and have all the distractions that come with it.

Bottom line is, I don't think it's an advantage for the Flames any more than Games 3 and 4 are. I don't think the back-to-back games somehow exacerbate that.