• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsfan_54

Sportsnet article on Wings ticket sales..

Rate this topic

One possible reason is that people don't want to spend the money. The MI economy sucks, especially in southeast Michigan. With raised prices for the playoffs, plus factoring in parking, gas, etc, going to a playoff game isn't cheap.

Plus there's probably worries of another first round exit.

Because you have to pay another $5k if you want playoff tickets! They don't just give them to you free- $5,000 is a lot of money. This is the last year that I will be getting my season tickets, the pricing is just absurd.

That is insane! And they wonder why hockey has problems with its fan base. It's because we are down here, working to get by. Most of us don't wear suits to work every day.

this is freaking me out. If I had any spare change, I would be headed for Detroit and those tickets to the opening game. Of course, individual game tickets are not the same as committing to entire rounds of playoff games.

It's a big financial commitment the way the Wings have the ticket packages structured, so I can understand how people can't justify it.

When I first thought that demand was slack it was kinda surprising, but when I thought aboot it some more it's really not.

The Michigan economy is bad, Wings recent failures in the playoffs, and their continuous run of making it to the post-season all are factors.

That is insane! And they wonder why hockey has problems with its fan base. It's because we are down here, working to get by. Most of us don't wear suits to work every day.

Exactly. A couple months of playoffs cost about as much as the entire regular season- thanks for the year of Joe Bucks, Mr. Ilitch! It's a joke.

I have been tossing around the idea of going to thursdays and sundays game for a bit now (tickets are still available) but I just can't justify spending $63 for a seat the cost only $22 last game. The mark up is horrible and I would just rather save up my money and put it towards a full 41 games next season as opposed to 16 gamers right now.

I am glad to see that another 4,499 season ticket holders banded with me to say, "Thanks, but no thanks!" to the outrageous prices.

And yeah that one(1) season with joe bucks... what an fing joke! Can't wait to see how they screw over the season ticket holders next season! there really isn't much more they can do outside of another ticket price hike.

The expinential rate of increase in prices as the rounds go on futher my refusal to pump money into Mr. I's pocket. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

My couch has the best view and prices in town!

"Whether it has to do with economics, apathy or a fan preference toward the Pistons and Tigers, you can bet this never would have been a problem in Montreal or Toronto"

Lets see, the Raptors suck and there isn't a basketball team in Montreal. The Tigers are coming off their best season since the Reagan administration. Its understandable that people want to go see the Pistons and the Tigers, it’s a benefit of having a strong sports city. The Lions, not so much.

Lowering ticket prices sure would help a lot, we no longer have an 80 million $$ payroll, perhaps playoff tickets should reflect that.

Maybe people are banking on waiting for the later rounds as well. It can get extremely expensive to go to all the games. I know someone who had 4 season tickets to the Hurricanes and went to all the games when they won the Cup. I think they spent close to 10 grand when it as all over with.

I can almost guarantee that if ticket prices for the cheapest seat were $30 and not $63, the joe would be sold out.

This isn't about the lack of passionate fans, it's about Michigan's economy floating in the toilet. I know I'd go to the games but I have bills to pay and I like having a place to sleep at night (that isn't my truck).

Go Wings!

"Whether it has to do with economics, apathy or a fan preference toward the Pistons and Tigers, you can bet this never would have been a problem in Montreal or Toronto"

Lets see, the Raptors suck and there isn't a basketball team in Montreal. The Tigers are coming off their best season since the Reagan administration. Its understandable that people want to go see the Pistons and the Tigers, it’s a benefit of having a strong sports city. The Lions, not so much.

Lowering ticket prices sure would help a lot, we no longer have an 80 million $$ payroll, perhaps playoff tickets should reflect that.

I know you are trying to defend Detroit as a city, and with a good portion of the the fan base, I am sure many LGW'ers will support you for that. But the article is 'partially' right about it not happening in Toronto or Montreal. And the Raps dont suck and more. They are 3rd in the east. Yes I am aware who is in first.

I know Canadian cities don't have NFL (most that have hockey do have CFL) (you can make fun of the version of football if you like, but it is still a major sporting event with asses in seats) only Toronto has a MLB (Montreal did fail to hold on) but aside from those, it isn't like there is nothing happening in those cities. Many huge sporting events in different sports. The one and ONLY loop that can really be pointed at here is the Expo's. Other than that, people are out to support their team.

I agree that ticket prices are insane. I live in BC and couldn't afford one trip to a single game in Vancouver this year. And I will give credit to those who state that the Mich. economy is bad. I wouldn't know about your financial state living so far away, but it is a legitiment reason.

But it is playoff time and I dont know why, but when I watch a hockey game on TV it just seems so much more exciting when you can hear the fans screaming over teh anouncers. For so long I loved watching Red WIngs games on TV at the Joe, and hearing the commentators talked about Detroit fans as intimadating ... hard to be intimidatin with empty seats is all.

I wont for a second bash anyone who simply wont go because they can't afford it. It is a huge expense these days and no matter how much you love the wings, sometimes that call has to be made.

I have been tossing around the idea of going to thursdays and sundays game for a bit now (tickets are still available) but I just can't justify spending $63 for a seat the cost only $22 last game. The mark up is horrible and I would just rather save up my money and put it towards a full 41 games next season as opposed to 16 gamers right now.

I am glad to see that another 4,499 season ticket holders banded with me to say, "Thanks, but no thanks!" to the outrageous prices.

And yeah that one(1) season with joe bucks... what an fing joke! Can't wait to see how they screw over the season ticket holders next season! there really isn't much more they can do outside of another ticket price hike.

The expinential rate of increase in prices as the rounds go on futher my refusal to pump money into Mr. I's pocket. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

My couch has the best view and prices in town!

i find it hard to believe the regular season ticket prices have always been the same during the playoffs , havent they always been boosting them up in the off season , how much higher are they now compared to last season?

i find it hard to believe the regular season ticket prices have always been the same during the playoffs , havent they always been boosting them up in the off season , how much higher are they now compared to last season?

I never said ticket prices for regular season were the same as playoffs? if I did, it was a typo... Tickets prices are a HUGE markup over the regular ticket prices which is why many season ticket holders tell the Red Wings uppers to F-off when forced to buy all 16 games at one time for the playoffs. We spend about $4,500 for two tickets in the $54 range for the entire 41 games. For the lowly 16 games (granted not every single round will go to seven, if any) we would be paying just under $6,000 for the entire playoffs for the exact same seats.

Mr. I froze the regular season ticket prices for the One game at a time crowd. However, he jacked up the Season tickets prices 20% by not giving out the Joe Bucks this season. So basically where other teams give out discounts and various other incentitves to their season ticket holders, we got a 20% increase in our ticket prices.

Hell, I still have my ticket stubs for Game 1 of the 1995 Stanley Cup Finals ON THE GLASS...

...and they were $100 a seat.

Mr. I froze the regular season ticket prices for the One game at a time crowd. However, he jacked up the Season tickets prices 20% by not giving out the Joe Bucks this season. So basically where other teams give out discounts and various other incentitves to their season ticket holders, we got a 20% increase in our ticket prices.

Makes you wonder if it's just because of revenue sharing or we're already subsidizing part of the cost of the new arena, eh?

Either that or it's plain SCARY to think what season tickets are going to cost in 2010 in a likely new arena...

There are tons of reasons for this:

1) economy

2) Tigers and Pistons

3) early round exits

4) playoffs in Detroit are commonplace.

If Detroit squeaked into the playoffs, hadnt may the playoffs the year before, and/or didnt have to contend with TWO top notch sports teams during THE SAME TIME, there wouldnt even be this article. Likewise, if all of the above happened with Montreal or Toronto, and their economy was piss poor, theyd be singing a different tune.

I mean, Im as die hard a fan as any. If I could, Id go to every playoff game, but not only can I not afford to go to so many, but Im likely going to the first game ALONE because none of my friends can afford to go with me.

if I was in Detroit, I wouldn't care about paying the $63, I'd go to every game I could...I wish I was up there right now

Yeah I know... If I didn't live in detroit I would be able to attend every wings game, no questions asked. But living in this Economic Dump 24/7 365 days a year... Money is pretty tight and such luxuries have to be passed up on.

I love the Joe's Atmosphere during playoffs and will miss it up by wallet won't be sad after the 2-1/2 hours are over and done with.

if I was in Detroit, I wouldn't care about paying the $63, I'd go to every game I could...I wish I was up there right now

If you were FROM detroit, you WOULD care about paying the $63 for cheap seats. People outside of Michigan simply dont understand where the economy is at right now.

If you were in Detroit you may really want to go but other reasons may hold you back. You would probably be collecting unemployment in Detroit. You would probably be facing foreclousure if you were in Detroit. You could also be laid off if you were in Detroit.

I don't mean direct insult at all. Just be very sure that everyone who does not live in Southwest Detroit does not have any idea what it is truly like here. Sure you hear about it, read about it, and talk about it but if your not living in it you have no idea what is truly going on here.

I am going to game one. It took alot of the months "smart" money but oh well. Next I will be filing Bankruptcy just becuase I went to the game.

GO WINGS! Do it for Detroit's economy!!!

I know you are trying to defend Detroit as a city, and with a good portion of the the fan base, I am sure many LGW'ers will support you for that. But the article is 'partially' right about it not happening in Toronto or Montreal. And the Raps dont suck and more. They are 3rd in the east. Yes I am aware who is in first.

I know Canadian cities don't have NFL (most that have hockey do have CFL) (you can make fun of the version of football if you like, but it is still a major sporting event with asses in seats) only Toronto has a MLB (Montreal did fail to hold on) but aside from those, it isn't like there is nothing happening in those cities. Many huge sporting events in different sports. The one and ONLY loop that can really be pointed at here is the Expo's. Other than that, people are out to support their team.

I agree that ticket prices are insane. I live in BC and couldn't afford one trip to a single game in Vancouver this year. And I will give credit to those who state that the Mich. economy is bad. I wouldn't know about your financial state living so far away, but it is a legitiment reason.

But it is playoff time and I dont know why, but when I watch a hockey game on TV it just seems so much more exciting when you can hear the fans screaming over teh anouncers. For so long I loved watching Red WIngs games on TV at the Joe, and hearing the commentators talked about Detroit fans as intimadating ... hard to be intimidatin with empty seats is all.

I wont for a second bash anyone who simply wont go because they can't afford it. It is a huge expense these days and no matter how much you love the wings, sometimes that call has to be made.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You really can't compare Canadian cities to cities like Detroit who have 4 major sports teams. In American cities there's the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, in Canadian cities other than Toronto it's just the NHL. It's a very unfair comparison, and by no means questions how passionate Hockey fans in the USA are.

I live in Canada, here it's hockey 24/7. MLB, NBA, and NFL are way behind. The Raptors and Blue Jays have many different promos to sell tickets. Some Raptors tickets are under $10, and the Blue Jays have $2 Tuesdays to try and fill seats.

I don't see the lack of playoff tickets sales as a bad thing. All the Wings have to do is lower prices and they'll be sold. More average fans can go then and the place will be louder.