• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

CBC livid as NHL bows to Americans

Rate this topic

*ducks behind Hank*

you know you are starting a war making a comment like that.

Labatts and Molson are slightly better than Bud or Miller....but well below a Guinness, Murphy's, or even something like a Honey Brown or a Sam Adams.

I think people on here are missing the point. Not showing a Canadian team on Saturday night is breaking tradition. We have been arguing on these threads for years how tradition is so important in hockey. Denying this game to primetime on CBC is a disgrace and the fact that Gary Bettman does not see that is further proof he needs to go! Having the game on NBC during the day will do nothing for the NHL, most casual watchers will be outside that time of day or carting their own kids to some event. The proof is in the pudding, the number of people watching the NHL on NBC during the day is below that of last year!

We continue to loose this and other sporting events to the corporate world and it will continue to get worse and never better.

Enough said!

Why would anyone pay that much extra just to get a little color in their water? Try drinking a Guinness or a Murphy's.

LOL! Because I enjoy beer that doesn't require a spoon or a stomach pump.

Labatt Blue rocks! Just ask Brian Fantana! Oh yeah!

Edited by Hank

I would agree. However, to me, I'm not very concerned about "selling" my favorite sport to anyone. I know, I know, it's for the long-term preservation of our game, and some people don't get exposure to the game.....but if people don't like hockey, fine. I sometime feel, even among my friends who don't really watch hockey, that we are begging people to like and watch our game. My question is why? So we can be like the other major sports. The last thing I'd want for hockey is an over-saturated product in which our players perform dances (yes, on skates) after every single good play...vying to get there face on TV. I like that as a league, we are humble, if not by choice, then by popularity. Imagine Zetta after scoring a goal doing a two minute dance and then pulling a Sharpie out of his skate and signing the puck. Ridiculous.

I'm happy just the way we are....and I don't care if everyone else doesn't like hockey. I've always been extremely proud to be a fan of the NHL.

Go Wings

For selfish reasons, if for no other and because I don't live in Canada, where hockey is king; I'd like to the sport to grow here in the states, where it's treated very poorly to say the least. I hate that what I consider inferior sports getting all the press. I hate searching for every shred, every tiny morsel of hockey news. I wish it was more popular, not so that there are conceeded players, but because it's the best game I can name! lol

I do like that the League and its players are humble though. I'd hate to think hockey players acting any other way.

For selfish reasons, if for no other and because I don't live in Canada, where hockey is king; I'd like to the sport to grow here in the states, where it's treated very poorly to say the least. I hate that what I consider inferior sports getting all the press. I hate searching for every shred, every tiny morsel of hockey news. I wish it was more popular, not so that there are conceeded players, but because it's the best game I can name! lol

I do like that the League and its players are humble though. I'd hate to think hockey players acting any other way.

I can understand your thoughts. When rock-papers-scissors is considered worthy of ESPN's money but hockey isn't, something's wrong.

Too bad you guys couldn't get Bell Express Vu.

At the very least look into XM radio. Channel 204, Home Ice, is the best hockey programming in any medium.

I can understand your thoughts. When rock-papers-scissors is considered worthy of ESPN's money but hockey isn't, something's wrong.

Too bad you guys couldn't get Bell Express Vu.

At the very least look into XM radio. Channel 204, Home Ice, is the best hockey programming in any medium.

hank its pretty good (home ice) me and a friend of mine listen to it everyday when we go to lunch.

and thats how he catches alot of the games

Edited by Lint123

LOL! Because I enjoy beer that doesn't require a spoon or a stomach pump.

Labatt Blue rocks! Just ask Brian Fantana! Oh yeah!

Labatt Blue and Guinness both have there place... Labatt is my everyday beer. I bust out the Guinness when I want a nice change of pace... maybe a Black & Tan.

Back on topic, won't CBC still show the game, just not in prime time?

Labatt Blue and Guinness both have there place... Labatt is my everyday beer. I bust out the Guinness when I want a nice change of pace... maybe a Black & Tan.

Back on topic, won't CBC still show the game, just not in prime time?

leave it to a guy named scotzman to make a comment about beer.

I would agree. However, to me, I'm not very concerned about "selling" my favorite sport to anyone. I know, I know, it's for the long-term preservation of our game, and some people don't get exposure to the game.....but if people don't like hockey, fine. I sometime feel, even among my friends who don't really watch hockey, that we are begging people to like and watch our game. My question is why? So we can be like the other major sports. The last thing I'd want for hockey is an over-saturated product in which our players perform dances (yes, on skates) after every single good play...vying to get there face on TV. I like that as a league, we are humble, if not by choice, then by popularity. Imagine Zetta after scoring a goal doing a two minute dance and then pulling a Sharpie out of his skate and signing the puck. Ridiculous.

I'm happy just the way we are....and I don't care if everyone else doesn't like hockey. I've always been extremely proud to be a fan of the NHL.

Go Wings

Really sad... anytime the NHL can grow itself and increase popularity, it's good for all concerned. The fans, owners, players and the league all benefit. I would love to see the personalities of some of the NHL players showcased no matter how they do it. The NHL is such a great sport live (in person). The NFL has turned a sport that is some ways is slow and boring in person, into the most popular sport in the U.S. Why would that suck for the NHL? NASCAR has done some of the same things... No idea how the MLB and NBA get fans honestly, but that has more to do with my personal taste than anything else.

leave it to a guy named scotzman to make a comment about beer.

LOL! I resemble that comment! We should have a LGW's beer bash!!

I just had an terrible dream of where the Canucks were playing the Devils and no one came to the game.

Battle of the boring traps.

But the thing is NBC picked it up

People would still show up if it was in Vancouver. New Jersey, on the other hand, would look more like the United Center in a matchup featuring the Blackhawks and Blue Jackets. :rolleyes:

That matchup could be an all too real possibility for the SCF. I would probably still watch it, being that it is hockey and it is the finals, but I would probably be very bored in the process.

scotzman, what the hell is the story behind that avatar?

It's from an amazing TV show called Arrested Development that was canceled far before it's time... pick it up on DVD when you get a chance and check it out. Pretty freakin' hilarious.

I think people on here are missing the point. Not showing a Canadian team on Saturday night is breaking tradition.

I understand that tradition in premise, but Ive never understood it completely. Every team has a good amount of canadian players on the roster, yet most canadians only cheer for canadian based teams. Is that national pride? Just as many canadians lose on the other side of that coin, but since they are playing for a team based in dallas its not as important?

When I hear canadian fans say something to the effect of " Well, my team is out, all I care about now is that a canadian team wins it all." It just doesnt make sense. I mean, it does in a way, but in the end canadian fans are leaving their fellow country men hang out to dry simply because they arent a flame or an oiler.

And CBC...Plain and simple, the NHL isnt a canadian exclusive sport. Maybe CBC should make themselves available in each american hockey market, then this wouldnt be such an issue. Im suprised that I even get CBC living in michigan. I love having it, but nbc can carry an afternoon game into millions more homes, and its better for the league.

Even CBC can only seem to cheer on their home based teams.

Im sure ill take crap for this post, but this has always bothered me.

It's from an amazing TV show called Arrested Development that was canceled far before it's time... pick it up on DVD when you get a chance and check it out. Pretty freakin' hilarious.

does trailer park boys come on cbc? if not i don't want it here. hahahaha j/k

i would love to have it here in austin..i wonder if it would ever come that far south. prob not...to close to mexico and we all know how canadians feel about that. :)

wait..The Red Green Show comes on that...i love that show. "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

Edited by Lint123