• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T@T

Jeremy Roenick's take on the series

Rate this topic

JR's probably still bitter about his poor choice to sign with Philadelphia prior to the 2001-02 season instead of signing with the Wings who went on to win the Cup that season. I vaguely remember him saying something about choosing Philly over Detroit because Philly had better goaltending (granted, this was before the Wings made the deal to get Hasek).

J.R. is a wanna-be Brett Hull -- big mouth, ending his career in Phoenix, where many once-fine hockey players seem to go to die, out of shape, out of the line up and out of the playoffs. Jealous much, J.R.? His comments about Dom rival Hull's prophecies about Datsyuk not signing with Wings. How correct was that? He's wrong about Dom, too.

By the way, notice the only thing he's got to say about the Wings is that they have Hasek in goal, and that the only way to beat Dom is to beat him up? Classy, huh? That alone tells you how scared the rest of the shooters in the playoffs are, if all the "expert" is concerned with is who is in goal.

Hopefully, Bert will dismantle anyone who breathes on Dominik. Calder and the Pain Train will assist. :lol:

J.R. is a wanna-be Brett Hull -- big mouth, ending his career in Phoenix, where many once-fine hockey players seem to go to die, out of shape, out of the line up and out of the playoffs. Jealous much, J.R.? His comments about Dom rival Hull's prophecies about Datsyuk not signing with Wings. How correct was that? He's wrong about Dom, too.

By the way, notice the only thing he's got to say about the Wings is that they have Hasek in goal, and that the only way to beat Dom is to beat him up? Classy, huh? That alone tells you how scared the rest of the shooters in the playoffs are, if all the "expert" is concerned with is who is in goal.

Hopefully, Bert will dismantle anyone who breathes on Dominik. Calder and the Pain Train will assist. :lol:

Getting traffic in the crease should be the number one game plan against any opponent in the playoffs and what he says about Dom is bang on, not sure what the problem is with that. Well, it's bang on that Dom will freak out about it, just not sure if it will take him off his game or not.

Getting traffic in the crease should be the number one game plan against any opponent in the playoffs and what he says about Dom is bang on, not sure what the problem is with that. Well, it's bang on that Dom will freak out about it, just not sure if it will take him off his game or not.

You seriously think Hasek will freak out in a playoff game? Really?? I guess we will see. I really love how some fans here have so much confidence in the player the Red Wings themselves are depending on. Have you watched any games this season, where Hasek was run over, knocked halfway across the rink by players running him in the crease? Did he freak out, or did he get back up and play and win? He didn't freak out then, and he won't in the playoffs.

As for a game plan, I hope the Wings get their butts down to the other end of the ice and pester the crap out of Kipper, and don't spend their entire time slinging soft perimeter shots at him, losing because they score only 1 or 2 goals. Notice I don't say run Kipper, just go to the net and make things harder for him.

I think Hasek is the least of the Wings' problems. If the only way Calgary can win is injure Dom, then they don't deserve the Cup. I hope they lose if they have to get past us in that fashion.

Edited by puckloo39

You seriously think Hasek will freak out in a playoff game? Really?? I guess we will see. I really love how some fans here have so much confidence in the player the Red Wings themselves are depending on. Have you watched any games this season, where Hasek was run over, knocked halfway across the rink by players running him in the crease? Did he freak out, or did he get back up and play and win? He didn't freak out then, and he won't in the playoffs.

As for a game plan, I hope the Wings get their butts down to the other end of the ice and pester the crap out of Kipper, and don't spend their entire time slinging soft perimeter shots at him, losing because they score only 1 or 2 goals. Notice I don't say run Kipper, just go to the net and make things harder for him.

I think Hasek is the least of the Wings' problems. If the only way Calgary can win is injure Dom, then they don't deserve the Cup. I hope they lose if they have to get past us in that fashion.

Did you miss the dive he tried to sell against Calgary a couple of weeks back. He was crowded in front of the net so he faked an elbow to the head and went down crying about it. Calgary scores when he is out of position and then take the game 2-1. We need Hasek to be solid and strong, like he has been in the past. But we need him to stop trying to do it all and just focus on his job in net.

By the way, even Babcock called him out on the dive, it was a dive and no one can dispute that.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/...981258-sun.html

Calgary's talking trash because they're scared. Mac sets them straight at the end of the article.

Anyone who thinks Dom will be the reason we don't win this series is wrong. No scoring will be the reason. Hasek's been consistent all season and maintained around a 2.00 GAA or less. I don't think facing so few shots all season has been the best situation for a goalie like Dom, but when he has seen more shots, he's won then, too.

I really question how anyone can be concerned that Hasek won't rise to the occasion, and play well when it counts the most.

zaxx, yes, I watched all but three games this season. You haven't, apparently. Hasek got hit in the head (later proved on tape) and tried to draw a penalty because of it. He may have felt it was a last resort, since the Wings were, as usual, not able to score more than 1 goal. It was desperation on his part to try and win the game, and possibly ill-advised. However, it shouldn't have ever come to that. Babcock should have called out the rest of the Wings and asked them why they are so intent on padding the opposing goalie's stats with easy stops instead of putting the puck behind them.

I hope to see a reversal in the two-goal per game trend in the playoffs. If not, we won't last long.

EDIT: PS- upon a bit of reflection, my bad. zaxx is probably a Flames fan, and I took the bait. Welcome to the forums.

Edited by puckloo39

:clap:

good post, right on IMO. By his shear rep. of being a poor man's Brett Hull he needs to say controversial things that he most likely doesn't always mean fully.

Let's hope we stick up for our teammates, I have to feel it's going to be different this year.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/...981258-sun.html

Calgary's talking trash because they're scared. Mac sets them straight at the end of the article.

Anyone who thinks Dom will be the reason we don't win this series is wrong. No scoring will be the reason. Hasek's been consistent all season and maintained around a 2.00 GAA or less. I don't think facing so few shots all season has been the best situation for a goalie like Dom, but when he has seen more shots, he's won then, too.

I really question how anyone can be concerned that Hasek won't rise to the occasion, and play well when it counts the most.

zaxx, yes, I watched all but three games this season. You haven't, apparently. Hasek got hit in the head (later proved on tape) and tried to draw a penalty because of it. He may have felt it was a last resort, since the Wings were, as usual, not able to score more than 1 goal. It was desperation on his part to try and tie the game, and possibly ill-advised. However, it shouldn't have ever come to that. Babcock should have called out the rest of the Wings and asked them why they are so intent on padding the opposing goalie's stats with easy stops instead of putting the puck behind them.

I hope to see a reversal in the two-goal per game trend in the playoffs. If not, we won't last long.

EDIT: PS- upon a bit of reflection, my bad. zaxx is probably a Flames fan, and I took the bait. Welcome to the forums.

Wow you are wearing some rose colored glasses, take them off and wipe the sleep out of your eyes.

I should not need to defend my backing of the wings but in a few sentences here it goes. I have been a Wings fan since I started playing hockey in the mid eighties, and have followed them every year. I went to Edmonton last year with my Wings jersey on to watch a playoff game and was booed and screamed at the entire time. I love the Wings and accusing me of anything else is just wrong.

However look around at the sports information surrounding the Detrois@Calgary game and they will all say the same thing. Hasek took a dive to try to draw a penalty, it backfired and Calgary got the game winning goal. I agree with most that Hasek will not do this stuff in the playoffs but it is something Calgary can remember since their in your face play worked once.

Please stop with the infighting between Wings fans and face facts. Hasek is a great goaltender, he is not an actor and he should only go down when someone actually does something. Ig from CAlgary had his back turned to Hasek when the "elbow" was thrown. I have been searching for a video of this dive but so far I have not had any luck.

That is all I have found, but I recall TSN had a great highlight showing the phantom elbow that cost us the game.

Even if Calgary does injure Dom, we still have Osgood. He has been doing really well lately.

But yeah, if they think that is the only way they can win, they DEFIANTLY dont deserve the Cup.

I have the incident DVR'd. He got hit, it wasn't phantom. Babcock made a mistake singling Dom out as the goat for that loss. One goal per game won't cut it, unless your goalies pitch a shutout every single game. That was the problem, and will continue to be, IMO.

It's just hard to tell sometimes if posters in here are Wings fans based on some of the comments. "Ig from Calgary" ?Sounds like a Flames fan to me. :P Glad to know you do cheer for the Wings, even if you are in a rather large contingent who do not support Hasek, who does play for the Red Wings, too. The Wings are thrilled he's there for them, so that's what matters, I guess.

Edited by puckloo39

I have the incident DVR'd. He got hit, it wasn't phantom. Babcock made a mistake singling Dom out as the goat for that loss. One goal won't cut it, unless your goalies pitch a shutout every single game.

It's just hard to tell sometimes if posters in here are Wings fans based on some of the comments. Glad to know you do cheer for the Wings, even if you are in a rather large contingent who do not support Hasek, who does play for the Red Wings, too. The Wings are thrilled he's there for them, so that's what matters, I guess.

I am amazed at a couple of things about you:

1. You think that I do not support Hasek, I love the guy and think he is the sole shot we have at the cup this year. I simply acknowledge the fact that he has taken a costly dive in the past against Calgary and understand why we need to watch out for this in the series since Calgary knows he has a bad groin (try to wear it down) and that he can get off his game. However as I said before Dom is a playoff performer and he will step up to perform. The regular season dive and puck handling goofs will not be present since he thrives on the stress of the playoffs.

2. You are disagreeing with what Babcock, and the entire Hockey press has said about the incident. I bet even Dom himself would admit that it was a foolish attempt at drawing a penalty.

If you do have it on your DVR then please pull it off and upload to youtube. I would love to prove to the world that Ig should have gotten a penalty. In fact it would help Detroit since it would show that Dom did not suffer from a bad dive but from an elbow to the head. This would also put some spotlight onto the refs and Ig and take it off Dom. So please upload it and share, since the entire Hockey sports analyst community is wrong and you are the only one who say the play.

I have the incident DVR'd. He got hit, it wasn't phantom. Babcock made a mistake singling Dom out as the goat for that loss. One goal per game won't cut it, unless your goalies pitch a shutout every single game. That was the problem, and will continue to be, IMO.

It's just hard to tell sometimes if posters in here are Wings fans based on some of the comments. "Ig from Calgary" ?Sounds like a Flames fan to me. :P Glad to know you do cheer for the Wings, even if you are in a rather large contingent who do not support Hasek, who does play for the Red Wings, too. The Wings are thrilled he's there for them, so that's what matters, I guess.

While I don't agree with any coach singling out a player for any loss, you have to admit Babs had every right to atleast think that after that play. Loo, I know you love Dom, but once the incident took place, and Babs said what he did to the public, Dom didn't refute it at all. He had his meeting with Babs and it was over with. Dom never threw a hissy-fit to the media, he just played, and as a result (like a true champion), he put it behind him and was even more dominant the rest of the regular season.

That's the type of mental edge I want from my goalie right before the playoffs.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Well, it's bang on that Dom will freak out about it, just not sure if it will take him off his game or not.

Are we thinking of the same person? That sounds like vintage Hasek, not like the man on our team today.

He did say the Wings will win though, so I give him credit for that. Plus everything he said was basically true, so you can't accuse him of lying.

And whoever said Roenick signed with Philly because they have better goaltending is a lie. The Wings offered him around 8.5 million to sign here. The Flyers nearly doubled that with an 11.5 million dollar offer. Now, if you were a hockey player, which offer would you have taken? Yeah, I thought so.

While I don't agree with any coach singling out a player for any loss, you have to admit Babs had every right to atleast think that after that play. Loo, I know you love Dom, but once the incident took place, and Babs said what did to the public, Dom didn't refute it at all. He had his meeting with Babs and it was over with. Dom never threw a hissy-fit to the media, he just played, and as a result (like a true champion), he put it behind him and was even more dominant the rest of the regular season.

I do support Dom, and you're right, he will rise to the challenge. I am sure Babs thought it was a dive, and he was clearly pretty frustrated with the whole game. Dom was just the last straw. Dom's comment afterwards was "I did get hit, Mike probably couldn't see it from the bench." There wasn't any point in Dom challenging the coach's calling him out. Done is done, so he moved on.

Dom seems to respect Babcock, even if blaming the loss on him wasn't the right thing to do; he's a professional. I say again, one goal per game is the problem... not the goalie trying desperation measures to get a break, so the team has one more chance to try and win it. Hasek's reputation makes him a target for non-calls and bad calls, it goes with the territory. I don't expect Dom to try anything like that in the playoffs, but if things get bad enough, I guess all bets are off. It's hard to say what he will do, if the Wings get their backs against the wall.

zaxx, I don't know how to upload or transfer the clip from my DVR, sorry. I saw what I saw. Analysts can say whatever they want. I always suspect the media, they have their own agenda. It doesn't mean they are correct, it just means they have a public forum to say whatever they want, and it becomes fact. If you wanted to go to the trouble and the articles are still online, Babs came out later on and said the media twisted what he said, and only took the comment on Dom as the reason for the loss. He apparently said other things, but all they focused on was his comment about Dom. Typical.

I am glad to know you support Dom. Thanks!

Are we thinking of the same person? That sounds like vintage Hasek, not like the man on our team today.

you're my man, Marcus! :thumbup:

Edited by puckloo39

Even this year, I have seen Dom take several dives. The one against Calgary is just an example. Even if he did get hit, which he probably did, it doesn't mean he didn't dive, which he clearly did, not even sure why it is being argued.

Not that this incident needs to be dissected further, but Hasek's motivation for diving was obviously drawing a powerplay for the Wings, who had done nothing offensively at the time, and the Calgary powerplays were like 5-0 at the time, so he was probably thinking the refs were on the lookout for ANYTHING they could even up with--thus he tried providing them with something, to no avail. And no player will ever ADMIT to diving due to the NHL's new policy on diving, fines and lists and such.

He dove, as many players do, and it didn't work out. He didn't singlehandedly lose the game--Detroit had a period to score again and they managed 1 in 60 minutes...that's not how you win. Who cares, it's just regular season, the Wings got the Conference so what difference does it make? That was the only way CGY could win, a freebie goal? Oh no, the Wings are going to be so scared going in to Round 1.

Remind me again why people talk about this so much?