• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kp-Wings

You know, I feel bad for McCarty

Rate this topic

I, like all of you, miss McCarty. While, I understand he's not coming back, I long for the days when he played here. I know we have a new team and a bright future, which I love, but if I could have one game to go back and watch McCarty play for us then, I would be a happy girl :)

The problem with playing against Mac in the playoffs is that the Wings don't have as many of his old teammates on their roster anymore.

Last season, Mac would crush guys like Lilja, Samuelsson, Franzen or any other Red Wing that wasn't on the team when he left. But it seemed like he never laid a huge hit on a guy like Draper or Maltby or Shanny (I.E. His old teammates). Kind of interesting.

If he does play, here's hoping guys like Hudler, Flip, Franzen, etc watch their backs.

hahaha a one day contract!!! are you kidding me? there is absolutely no way that holland would sign a one day contract for anyone led alone mccarty. If mccarty was a hall of famer like jerry rice then maybe he would consider it but cmon now is darren mccarty. I never liked him that much and always felt he was overrated... but I do respect him. The fact is that 97 was his prime, and he didnt do much after that. 97 was also ten years ago, and it is past his time. I don't feel sorry for him though, he's made millions of dollars and has had a good career. As for feeling sorry for him for going bankrupt.... boo freaking whoo man... the guy blew millions of dollars gambling, its called money management.

The man is 10 years younger then Chelios. I'm sure he could contribute to this team if he was brought back. We need leaders, not just young guys on the team.

Edited by Chaldean

The man is 10 years younger then Chelios. I'm sure he could contribute to this team if he was brought back. We need leaders, not just young guys on the team.

Lidstrom, Draper, Maltby, Cheli again, are all vets and solid leaders. The young guys like Hank and Pavel are proving to be great leaders themselves.

We really don't have any utility for Mac at this stage in his career.

Exactly.

Those guys will always be Red Wings in my book, and a small part of me would love to see them come home, but nostalgia doesn't win Cups.

Exactly. I miss McCarty a lot, but I don't really want him back in the form he is in now. He really doesn't do anything anymore. He would be more of a lieability than a helping factor.

I don't miss Mac at all.

The dude pissed away his money and family on booze, drugs and puck bunnies.

I'm still pissed that he called up WDFN to have a fund madeup for the family of one of his bandmembers that died.

So many people donated money for that guys family. But what they weren't told was that guy blew a lot of his cash on drugs too.

Many wings have pubicly said how McCarty fell into the wrong crowd, through Grinder, that basically destroyed his career and life.

Good riddance to a bigtime loser.

Mac was always my favorite Wing but I don't really feel sorry for him.

His cheating on his wife and gambling and alcohol problems were all things which he chose and when he got divorced and lost his money that was just the result of years of being selfish.

Sorry to sound mean, but that's the truth. I love the guy and wish him no ill will, I hope he gets his life back on track and becomes successful at something else.

I ate breakfast a table over from McCarty about year ago here in Calgary.

That guy looks terrifying! If I didn't know who he was I would avoid eye contact for fear of being broken in half.

He was wearing a Grinder hat too.

I don't miss Mac at all.

I'm still pissed that he called up WDFN to have a fund madeup for the family of one of his bandmembers that died.

So many people donated money for that guys family. But what they weren't told was that guy blew a lot of his cash on drugs too.

Many wings have pubicly said how McCarty fell into the wrong crowd, through Grinder, that basically destroyed his career and life.

God Hank... do you have a heart? I did not know that guy from Adam. Who knows what his personal life was... but his family still did not have him there to provide.

EDIT: Correct me if I am wrong, but Darren was SOBER when he when he formed the band Grinder.

Edited by vladyfan

I don't miss Mac at all.

Be careful who you slam and watch your words. You lose your job, there's a chance you could maybe eventually end up in a "wrong crowd" or "wrong situation".

None of us will never understand the full situation of McCarty's recent financial troubles. Can we assume that he has some responsibility of losing money? Of course. But it's unfair to label him as the big bad guy without knowing more of his situation, which is something that we will probably never fully know.

I feel awful for poor D-Mac. It pains me to see the guy anymore. And I don't ever see the Wings bringing him back. I honestly don't know if he will play anywhere next year. But he will always be a Hockeytown Hero.

Like they say in the new VS. Cup commercial they are running now featuring Mac.

"You may not find his name in the Hall of Fame. But you will find it on the Stanley Cup."

McCarty's done. Bringing him back would be a waste of roster and cap space.

That said, there's no replacing what he did here as a player and moreso as a member of our community. He selflessly gave his time and money to charity, visited sick kids (including a friend of mine with cancer) in the hospital, was visible and accessible all the time. One of this town's best athlete citizens as far as giving back to the community.

Someone mentioned signing him to a one-day contract like NFL teams do... that can't happen in the NHL. NFL contracts are not guaranteed, NHL contracts are. McCarty would have to be signed for league minimum and that would count against next year's cap.