• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
auxlepli

I love Mitch Albom

Rate this topic

It's not Yzerman's team anymore

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...COL01/704130443

I wish Mitch Albom, one of my faves, would write more hockey articles.

I don't think he wrote one aboot Stevie's jersey retirement, which kinda hacked me off truth be known.

I can't stand Mitch Al-Bomb at all. That big-eared, little midget knows nothing about hockey. I still remember when he wrote that article about how the Wings should have dealt Federov before the deadlin in '03.

Sure Mitch. We're coming off a Stanley Cup championship and we should deal one of our top players on the chance he might not resign. Brilliant. Now back to the Shire Bilbo Albom!

It's not Yzerman's team anymore

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...COL01/704130443

I wish Mitch Albom, one of my faves, would write more hockey articles.

I don't think he wrote one aboot Stevie's jersey retirement, which kinda hacked me off truth be known.

I enjoy all of his articles, including the non-hockey ones.

they guy kinda drives me mad as well..

the freep bring him for the big stories, and he always seems to miss the important things...

he writes in the article not know who filpulla is...

well we know who he is! he's only been with the team the ENTIRE SEASON!!

I can't stand Mitch Al-Bomb at all. That big-eared, little midget knows nothing about hockey. I still remember when he wrote that article about how the Wings should have dealt Federov before the deadlin in '03.

Sure Mitch. We're coming off a Stanley Cup championship and we should deal one of our top players on the chance he might not resign. Brilliant. Now back to the Shire Bilbo Albom!

Yet he was right.

they guy kinda drives me mad as well..

the freep bring him for the big stories, and he always seems to miss the important things...

he writes in the article not know who filpulla is...

well we know who he is! he's only been with the team the ENTIRE SEASON!!

Boy are you dense.

Albom refers to Filppula twice. Once referring the his goal, and saying Flip was a new kid. This is true--this is his first full season in the bigs.

The other time is as a response to Yzerman's 'diversity' comment, saying 'when was the last time the Wings had a 'Filppula'.

This refers to the fact Filppula is the only Finn to ever play for the Red Wings.

But yes, this makes ALBOM the one who knows nothing.

Yet he was right.

Hindsight is 20/20 and any GM that would have traded Federov would and should have been fired for stupidity. Federov himself didn't know if he'd stay or go.

Lets say Lidstrom was going to be a UFA next year and there was a chance he might sign somewhere else. Would you have traded him before this years deadline? Not if you weren't completely braindead.

Al-Bomb knows as much about hockey as he does haircuts. Both are severly outdated.

"My urge to play is gone," he said, smiling. "I miss the atmosphere and knowing what the guys are going through. But the playoffs don't make me miss it. I have more than accepted that my playing career is over. And I don't think for one minute that I could go out there and help."

Which in the athlete world means "I would love to be playing, I miss the atmosphere, especially the playoffs. It is hard to accepct not being out there and if were out there we may have scored a couple of more goals"

It's just like when they say "it has nothing to do with the money"

I regress, I think has moved on though and good for him, he deserves everything he gets.

I think his writing tends to be a bit melodramatic at times, but basically he's dead to me for his lame ass excuses for crossing the picket line during the whole Free Press writer strike debacle.

What you are failing to consider is the fact that even while the strike was going on, the work was still being done by other Knight-Ridder employees from other papers, and the Free Press was surviving just fine. The paper was NOT feeling under any sort of crunch, and they were not going to cave to the union whose workers provided nothing better than the scabs who worked the paper during the strike.

While I respect the union mentality and the necessity for unions historically, you have to remember than ultimately, you must consider yourself first before the union. If following the union's decision is not the best decision for you personally, you shouldn't be bound to that decision.

What you are failing to consider is the fact that even while the strike was going on, the work was still being done by other Knight-Ridder employees from other papers, and the Free Press was surviving just fine. The paper was NOT feeling under any sort of crunch, and they were not going to cave to the union whose workers provided nothing better than the scabs who worked the paper during the strike.

While I respect the union mentality and the necessity for unions historically, you have to remember than ultimately, you must consider yourself first before the union. If following the union's decision is not the best decision for you personally, you shouldn't be bound to that decision.

I'm not failing to consider anything. Albom wrote this lame ass article explaining why even though he was in the writer's union he felt it was pointless so he might as well go ahead and write articles. That he was doing it for his readers. that he was doing it to save the paper.

That's not how it works. If Albom felt that way, he shouldn't have been in the union. Or he should've used his substantial influence to try to change it from the inside. He benefitted from the union when he was starting out, but now that he was successful enough he didn't need them, he can just pick and choose what to do while staying in the union. He cast the union away because he had become so successful in other venues. But it all started at the Free Press.

The paper wasn't plugging along just fine. I read the Free Press every morning, and as soon as that strike happened, it turned into a poorly printed, poorly written gobbled mess. It took them at least a year to produce anything that you could even call decent. Had a major marketable writer like Albom not crossed the picket line, it would've been a significant loss for the paper.

And I don't want to turn this into a political discussion thread, but the NLB ruled unanimously that the Free Press and News were guilty of unfair labor practices and that they had not bargained in good faith.

Albom is an egomaniacal scab writer who is a little too schmalzy for my taste.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I'm not failing to consider anything. Albom wrote this lame ass article explaining why even though he was in the writer's union he felt it was pointless so he might as well go ahead and write articles. That he was doing it for his readers. that he was doing it to save the paper.

That's not how it works. If Albom felt that way, he shouldn't have been in the union. Or he should've used his substantial influence to try to change it from the inside. He benefitted from the union when he was starting out, but now that he was successful enough he didn't need them, he can just pick and choose what to do while staying in the union. He cast the union away because he had become so successful in other venues. But it all started at the Free Press.

The paper wasn't plugging along just fine. I read the Free Press every morning, and as soon as that strike happened, it turned into a poorly printed, poorly written gobbled mess. It took them at least a year to produce anything that you could even call decent. Had a major marketable writer like Albom not crossed the picket line, it would've been a significant loss for the paper.

And I don't want to turn this into a political discussion thread, but the NLB ruled unanimously that the Free Press and News were guilty of unfair labor practices and that they had not bargained in good faith.

Albom is an egomaniacal scab writer who is a little too schmalzy for my taste.

He crossed the picket line because he knew they'd sell just as many papers without him, proving that he's not necessary.

Albom's a moron and his ego has grown bigger than his ears.

Does anyone remember when he wrote that piece where he states he spoke to an athlete personally when in fact he wasn't even in the building. He barely acknowledged this in print and on his radio show.

He's a self righteous boob who thinks his words carry such weight we should all crumble underneath them and praise him as the greatest literary scribe since Charles Dickens.

Another thing I detest about his writing is how he tries to repeat a theme throughout his articles. For example, he might write an article about how Yzerman "keeps going on". So he'll write a few paragraphs and end it with "yet, he keeps going on". And then he'll repeat that retarded phrase 2 or 3 more times in the article. Ooooh! So dramatic Mitch!

He should retire and do what he's built best for - midget tossing. Man, I'd love to toss me an Al-bomb!

"My urge to play is gone," he said, smiling. "I miss the atmosphere and knowing what the guys are going through. But the playoffs don't make me miss it. I have more than accepted that my playing career is over. And I don't think for one minute that I could go out there and help."

Which in the athlete world means "I would love to be playing, I miss the atmosphere, especially the playoffs. It is hard to accepct not being out there and if were out there we may have scored a couple of more goals"

It's just like when they say "it has nothing to do with the money"

I regress, I think has moved on though and good for him, he deserves everything he gets.

Maybe that's what it means in the athlete world, but not in Steve's world.

Take Steve's word for what it is.

He's not a selfish guy who thinks he could singlehandedly help net a few more goals. He doesn't want to be. He's accepted that he's done playing, and he's satisfied that he did it the right way. The only way he knew how.

Edited by TheLegend19

Does anyone remember when he wrote that piece where he states he spoke to an athlete personally when in fact he wasn't even in the building.

You mean the Cleaves/Richardson thing?

Albom spoke to the players during the week before the Saturday game, and both said they intended to be there.

Albom had to submit his article for the SUNDAY newspaper on FRIDAY, meaning he had to take them at their word.

His mistake was simply using the verb tense of 'sat' rather than an awkward 'will have sat', which was caught by one copy editor when the syndicated column ran. Hardly a malicious error.

He crossed the picket line because he knew they'd sell just as many papers without him, proving that he's not necessary.

Albom's a moron and his ego has grown bigger than his ears.

Does anyone remember when he wrote that piece where he states he spoke to an athlete personally when in fact he wasn't even in the building. He barely acknowledged this in print and on his radio show.

He's a self righteous boob who thinks his words carry such weight we should all crumble underneath them and praise him as the greatest literary scribe since Charles Dickens.

Another thing I detest about his writing is how he tries to repeat a theme throughout his articles. For example, he might write an article about how Yzerman "keeps going on". So he'll write a few paragraphs and end it with "yet, he keeps going on". And then he'll repeat that retarded phrase 2 or 3 more times in the article. Ooooh! So dramatic Mitch!

He should retire and do what he's built best for - midget tossing. Man, I'd love to toss me an Al-bomb!

agree with everything.

the guy's a total douchebag

Albom is one of those guys either love for his writing or hate for his part in the strike. For me, as he became more famous his sports articles suffered. I haven't read an article of his for years, but then again I haven't really read the Detroit papers in that time either. I get most of my news from the internet and the WSJ.

Whether you like the article or not, Zetterberg's response to the following question makes me believe a little piece of Steve Yzerman's spirit made a home in his soul...

"Do you and Pavel want to make a statement about this being your team now?" I asked Zetterberg. "Do you two talk about having more freedom or confidence now that some of the older stars are off the roster?"

He made a face.

"I don't think we have the language to talk those nice words," he said. "We just want to play good, solid hockey."

I guess sitting next to Steve made a big impact. That just sounds like something Steve would say.