• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flamesfan

A Flames fan perspective

Rate this topic

That is when I hope Bert WWFs Iginla.

Iginla has always been a player the tries and rough up your players stars.

Im not sure how he has gone this long without getting his ass handed to him by a league heavyweight.

its wwe now. hehehe

we'll see what happens when bert is back. hopfully he will let iggy know hes not gonna get away with that.

WELCOME flamesfan to LGW. good to have you and i hope you enjoy your time here on our boards. best hockey board on the web.

flames wont pull half the stuff they did in 03 without getting penalties like i said prior to last nights game , and they got alot of penalties like i said ........plus the flames forwards arent as physical in the past .........the series has just started and its by no means near over but i just dont fear the flames , only teams in the west i fear are the sharks and ducks

Guest Jdog21

I am sorry if this was asked already but Whya exactly might this be McCartys' last year??? I would absolutely love to see him back in the RIGHT red uniform again. Oh and by the way Bertuzzi was medically cleared for sunday and he said he will be "Cautiously optimistic" So maybe he can knock some heads around or something.

Edited by Jdog21

I am sorry if this was asked already but Whya exactly might this be McCartys' last year??? I would absolutely love to see him back in the RIGHT red uniform again. Oh and by the way Bertuzzi was medically cleared for sunday and he said he will be "Cautiously optimistic" So maybe he can knock some heads around or something.

He's getting up there in age. He missed most of the season with an injury. He is not the same player as he was when he dawned a Wings Jersey. Before his injury he was getting man handled in fights. Just disappointing really. His time to quit playing is approaching fast.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

flames wont pull half the stuff they did in 03 without getting penalties like i said prior to last nights game , and they got alot of penalties like i said ........plus the flames forwards arent as physical in the past .........the series has just started and its by no means near over but i just dont fear the flames , only teams in the west i fear are the sharks and ducks

I agree. In the playoff predictions thread I mentioned that I thought our PP would have to score and that if the refs did not allow the Flames to hack, whack, cross check and play dirty then we'd have a great shot at winning. I also thought the Flames PP would be key.

Well, the refs called a good game, they didn't nickel and dime either side to death with cheap hooks and such but they did call all the high hits and roughings and such. Also, both teams scored on the PP. We were better.

Personally, I don't fear the Flames I just have a healthy dose of respect for every team come playoff time. I also have a diehard belief in playoff luck and lucky bounces which went our way last night and I never count out any team with a goalie like Hasek, Kipper, Brodeur, etc.....

Had this been one of those past playoffs where our offense couldn't get going, we'd all be talking today about how impregnable Kipper is and how we're screwed because we aren't going to be able to score more than a goal a game.

Thankfully the boys played awesome, the Flames played pretty crappy? Why weren't they dumping and chasing? Why'd they try to carry the puck through the middle so much when all we did was lay back and steal it in the neutral zone all day? Come to think of it, it was almost role reversal with us doing quite a bit of dumping and them trying to be puck possession through the neutral zone.

Really? I actually don't think that. I thought him going after Hank and Dats was kinda shocking, and uncharacteristic of him. It actually pissed me off a lot, because outside the Wings, I absolutely LOVE Iginla. I hope he realizes it ain't cool to take a run at star players and hurt them..that's just low.

I don't think it was personal. If you look at Iginla he's going to hit everybody whether it be Z or Dats or Matlby. We matched Z and Dats against Iginla alot so that's just how it played out last night. Had the Matlby line been out there it'd probably be Malts he was after and he probably would've dropped them and instigated a fight with him. I don't think Jerome is a dirty player. I think he's smart. You have to hit the other teams star players. That's just common sense.

However, last night was sort of a exception. We pretty much dominated the entire game, Iginla didn't even have a shot on goal. He was frustrated and running around late in the game like alot of rugged players do. If the game were close or Calgary winning we wouldn't seen all that rough stuff from them. They were just pissed off about being soundly beaten and they started to take it to the alley. That's hockey, especially playoff hockey. I don't think Phaneuf is a dirty guy either. I've seen Aaron Ward give the old forearm/fist shiver to alot of folks over the years. Phaneuf was out of control on that play but he was frustrated and wanted to really put Z on his ass. I don't think he was trying to injure him or anything. Same for Iggy.

ive seen him run players quite a bit as well. Hes a goon.

huh?

I think the Wings really surprised Calgary with their physical play and speed last night, they sure surprised me! Looking at the Calgary players faces they almost looked a little scared, intimidated, and lost. I'm sure they were expecting the same old puck pocession fancy style from the Wings, instead the Wings came right at them, pounded them, and peppered Kipper with shots.

I'm expecting the same intensity by the Wings on Sunday, and a different game plan from Calgary. Calgary didn't control the physical play like they did in 2004, which is a huge disadvantage for them. The Flames are going to HAVE to generate more offence or the series will be over fast. 20 shots on Hasek will get them no where, because this isn't CuJo or Legace, it's "The Dominator".

I think the Wings are trying to embarrass Calgary the same way they embarrassed San Jose back in 1995. Bab's has the boys fired up and ready!

I fully expect the Flames to come out and play flat out dirty. They will be 100 time more physical Sunday. I notice this is the part of their game they lacked Thursday night.

More PP chances :thumbup:

I have mad respect for Iginla, he is one of the few stars in the League that can actually look after himself and he also sticks up for his teamates and is an awsome leader. He will have the Calgoons ready to go on sunday so the Wings better be ready.

First off, WOW!!!! I usually hang out over at calgarypuck.com or calgaryflames.com, but I'm having way more fun reading the other side of the story. I'm totally impressed how everyone has been really great towards me, and is having a fun, civil conversation. I really am looking forward to flying to Detroit next week (fingers crossed, please flames win a game :P ) for game 5. I'm staying at the Marriot Ren Cen

Now to comment about some of the posts

I'm shocked to see a few of you think that Iggy is a goon. I think what seperates him from most elite players in the NHL is his physical play. Iggy isn't one to just go after players for no reason. That being said, I don't doubt he was a little frustrated last night. As for Bertuzzi beating him up or phaneuf up, I doubt it. Firstly, I don't think Bertuzzi is even going to fight cause his head isn't likely 100%. Secondly, most players don't really want to fight Iggy as he's pretty friggen tough to fight. The only time I can remember him losing a fight was last year against Francois Beauchemin.

What everyone should be watching is Regehr and Bert. I've watched these two play against each other for years. You want to watch tough hockey, watch these two, its simply amazing. Both of them are about 230 lb each.

Also, I kinda resent the comment about the Flames coming out to play "dirty hockey". Flames really have never played dirty hockey. Plus, the only really dirty move I saw in game 1 was Cleary running Kipper. None the less, lets seperate dirty from pure physical play.

Also, listening to the radio today in Calgary, I'll be honest, alot of people were very surprised at the physical game Detroit brought. I thought Detroit played a very well rounded game, very impressive. The only thing is, can Detroit continue to keep up the physical play.

For us, its simple, defensively we need to shut down the number of shots and chances, be more physical than Detroit, but most importantly, get more that 20 weak shots on Dom. Don't take me wrong, Dom played fairly well, but we really didn't test him at all.

Let me leave you with these fine words of wisdom

BEWARE OF THE KIPPER!!!!!!

Go Flames Go!!!

Thanks again, for allowing me to have great discussions with you wings fans.

Also, can you guys make any recommendations for my wife and I to go before the game for a few beer. (where we won't get beat up in our flames jerseys)

Edited by flamesfan

That is when I hope Bert WWFs Iginla.

Iginla has always been a player the tries and rough up your players stars.

Im not sure how he has gone this long without getting his ass handed to him by a league heavyweight.

Oh, it's happened before. Not recently, but he was destroyed by Shanahan a few years ago.

IPB Image

I'm shocked to see a few of you think that Iggy is a goon. I think what seperates him from most elite players in the NHL is his physical play. Iggy isn't one to just go after players for no reason.

Imagine if Bertuzzi went afer Tanguay or Huselius. That's the equivalent to what Iginla pulled. Going after Zetterberg was pure bulls***, and people here lost a lot of respect for him when he did that.

I don't ever remember Shanny, when he played here, going after the skill guys.

That said, welcome to the board. It's always nice to have another perspective on things.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

First off, WOW!!!! I usually hang out over at calgarypuck.com or calgaryflames.com, but I'm having way more fun reading the other side of the story. I'm totally impressed how everyone has been really great towards me, and is having a fun, civil conversation. I really am looking forward to flying to Detroit next week (fingers crossed, please flames win a game :P ) for game 5. I'm staying at the Marriot Ren Cen

Now to comment about some of the posts

I'm shocked to see a few of you think that Iggy is a goon. I think what seperates him from most elite players in the NHL is his physical play. Iggy isn't one to just go after players for no reason. That being said, I don't doubt he was a little frustrated last night. As for Bertuzzi beating him up or phaneuf up, I doubt it. Firstly, I don't think Bertuzzi is even going to fight cause his head isn't likely 100%. Secondly, most players don't really want to fight Iggy as he's pretty friggen tough to fight. The only time I can remember him losing a fight was last year against Francois Beauchemin.

What everyone should be watching is Regehr and Bert. I've watched these two play against each other for years. You want to watch tough hockey, watch these two, its simply amazing. Both of them are about 230 lb each.

Also, I kinda resent the comment about the Flames coming out to play "dirty hockey". Flames really have never played dirty hockey. Plus, the only really dirty move I saw in game 1 was Cleary running Kipper. None the less, lets seperate dirty from pure physical play.

Also, listening to the radio today in Calgary, I'll be honest, alot of people were very surprised at the physical game Detroit brought. I thought Detroit played a very well rounded game, very impressive. The only thing is, can Detroit continue to keep up the physical play.

For us, its simple, defensively we need to shut down the number of shots and chances, be more physical than Detroit, but most importantly, get more that 20 weak shots on Dom. Don't take me wrong, Dom played fairly well, but we really didn't test him at all.

Let me leave you with these fine words of wisdom

BEWARE OF THE KIPPER!!!!!!

Go Flames Go!!!

Thanks again, for allowing me to have great discussions with you wings fans.

Also, can you guys make any recommendations for my wife and I to go before the game for a few beer. (where we won't get beat up in our flames jerseys)

Thanks for stopping by. I agree with you on Iggy. Great player. However, you are flat out dead wrong about Cleary running Kipper. This was a versus broadcast and the commentators were completely unbiased. They replayed the hit in slow motion and it was pretty obvious what happened. Cleary was going to the net he turned his back to look for the shot that was supposed to be coming and when he turned back Kipper was right in front of him. Cleary put his head down and ran into Kipper. If you remember the play correctly Kipper was to the left of his crease. He wasn't even in his crease and Cleary had no reason to believe Kipper would be there. As a matter of fact Cleary wasn't even skating, he was in a full glide when he looked up and saw Kipper and collided with him. Kipper did a real good job of spinning around on the ice so it looked pretty bad but if you watched the replay even the commentators said it was just a collision and that Cleary had looked up having no idea Kip was there and couldn't stop. Part of the reason he couldn't stop was because he had a Flames d-man draped on him and he was hunched over and almost falling down anyway.

So thanks for coming to the forum and all but don't say the only dirty thing you saw that game was Cleary running Kipper because he didn't run anybody. You need to watch the replay again. Also, you should watch the entire game again if you think the Flames didn't play dirty.

How about Phaneuf drilling Zetterberg in the face with his left hand when he tried to check him. Phaneuf got called for roughing on that play.

How about Iginla going after Zetterberg and facewashing him and trying to start a fight. Iginla got penalized for that for roughing.

Again, glad you stopped by but if you are going to be a Flames homer, then i'm going to tell you straight up you can go back to a Calgary forum.

The problem that I have with Iginla is that he's the captain and he needs to keep himself above the fray a little bit. It's all well and good to try and send a message that you're not getting intimidated despite getting wiped all over the ice, but when you wear that C, you need to not be the one costing your team PK time because you went in for unnecessary extracurriculars. I don't think he's a goon, I'm just unimpressed by his leadership.

Most Important I hope Calgary will drag this series on as I have already bought my Game 5 tickets, and booked my flights and hotel to Detroit ;)

GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Sorry but there will be no game five. Perhaps you can catch a Pistons playoff game or a Tiger game when you come to visit.

What can I say, everyone in Calgary was super dissappointed with that effort from the Flames. Credit should definately be given to Detroit for playing a great game. Thank god for Kiprusoff as the score could have easily been 6 or 7-1 had it not been for him.

Morale is a little low for most Flames fans, however, our team has in the past answered the pleas to work harder and play effective "Flames" hockey. I expect to see a much better Calgary team come out on Sunday.

I've read alot of trash talk about the Flames on here, and let me be the first to say, that Calgary didn't play nearly as physical as they should have. Expect to see our Flames come out skating and working much harder. That being said, I don't expect the Red Wings to roll over either, I expect them to try and match Calgary.

Also, local radio is reporting the McCarty will be playing (still speculation) in Game 2. Last year, he was excellent during the playoffs, and since this could possibly be his last season in the NHL, I expect him to come out and be effective for the Flames.

Most Important I hope Calgary will drag this series on as I have already bought my Game 5 tickets, and booked my flights and hotel to Detroit ;)

GO FLAMES GO!!!!

I got game 5 tickets too, Maybe I'll see ya :-p

The thing that impressed me most about game 1 was the fact that the Wings were the more physical (against the Flames no less) and they had a lot of shots, but not just any shots, shots from close range that generated good scoring opportunities. Yes the Flames played terrible, but to me the Wings made no mistakes in that game.

The problem that I have with Iginla is that he's the captain and he needs to keep himself above the fray a little bit. It's all well and good to try and send a message that you're not getting intimidated despite getting wiped all over the ice, but when you wear that C, you need to not be the one costing your team PK time because you went in for unnecessary extracurriculars. I don't think he's a goon, I'm just unimpressed by his leadership.

And that my friends, is Iginla in a nutshell.

WELCOME flamesfan to LGW. good to have you and i hope you enjoy your time here on our boards. best hockey board on the web.

I know Im biased, but I have yet to see a better team messageboard than LGW. Heads above the rest.

Well, that game was nothing more than the Flames having nothing to resort to other than trying to start trouble. That isnt physical play, thats throwing a temper tantrum.

Also, the hit on cleary wasnt a run at all. At all.

Guest Crymson

I forgot to mention that the afternoon games and the back-to-back games (5 & 6) are definitely a greater disadvantage for the older Wings. Calgary also is scary at home. This series has barely begun.

Are you really a Wings fan? You only show up to talk about how the Wings suck, and how they won't win.

I am sorry if this was asked already but Whya exactly might this be McCartys' last year??? I would absolutely love to see him back in the RIGHT red uniform again.

I'm sure we'd all love to have him in red again.. but why bother when he can't play hockey well? Take Maltby's depreciation since '02 and multiply it by two, and you'll have the amount McCarty has declined in that period.

Welcome to the boards, and I appreciate your civility. However, I hope you realize that your post stinks of homerism. You very well know that Kipper was well out of the crease when Cleary hit him, and that Cleary indeed had turned his head backwards to look for the pass before Kipper left the crease. By the time Cleary looked forward again, he had no time to avoid Kipper. Also, the "run" was incredibly weak; Clearly barely even bumped the guy.

Also, you certainly know that Iginla and Phaneuf drew penalties for a reason: that reason is that they took dirty runs at Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Don't even attempt to deny that, please. We've seen the Flames behavior when down before; see their 7-4 loss at Detroit a couple months ago. Somebody, I don't remember whom, crosschecked Zetterberg for the pure hell of it in that game, openly and in front of everyone. Such frustrated behavior mirrors that which Iginla, Phaneuf and others showed last night. It pains me to see stars like Iginla sink to such levels. It's really a shame.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson

Thanks for stopping by. I agree with you on Iggy. Great player. However, you are flat out dead wrong about Cleary running Kipper. This was a versus broadcast and the commentators were completely unbiased. They replayed the hit in slow motion and it was pretty obvious what happened. Cleary was going to the net he turned his back to look for the shot that was supposed to be coming and when he turned back Kipper was right in front of him. Cleary put his head down and ran into Kipper. If you remember the play correctly Kipper was to the left of his crease. He wasn't even in his crease and Cleary had no reason to believe Kipper would be there. As a matter of fact Cleary wasn't even skating, he was in a full glide when he looked up and saw Kipper and collided with him. Kipper did a real good job of spinning around on the ice so it looked pretty bad but if you watched the replay even the commentators said it was just a collision and that Cleary had looked up having no idea Kip was there and couldn't stop. Part of the reason he couldn't stop was because he had a Flames d-man draped on him and he was hunched over and almost falling down anyway.

So thanks for coming to the forum and all but don't say the only dirty thing you saw that game was Cleary running Kipper because he didn't run anybody. You need to watch the replay again. Also, you should watch the entire game again if you think the Flames didn't play dirty.

How about Phaneuf drilling Zetterberg in the face with his left hand when he tried to check him. Phaneuf got called for roughing on that play.

How about Iginla going after Zetterberg and facewashing him and trying to start a fight. Iginla got penalized for that for roughing.

Again, glad you stopped by but if you are going to be a Flames homer, then i'm going to tell you straight up you can go back to a Calgary forum.

Good post. I agree; politeness is no excuse for lack of perspective.