• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Non-Michigan fans: How did you become a Wings fan?

Rate this topic

Watching the 87-88 playoffs...On ESPN with Tom Mees with Bill clemment and Mike Emrick doing the calls...Fell in love with the teams heart, along with players like Bob Probert, Steve Yzerman, Adam Oates, Rick Zombo (do I remember seeing him kick someone in the head with his skate?), and Glen Hanlon. Been a die hard fan ever since. :thumbup:

You want to hear my story??

Here it goes, I am mexican, who has always lived in mexico city. I grew up in a world were soccer was the number 1 sport, but I didn't feel it, you know.

Then some years ago I went to one ice rink(in Mexico city ain't it strange) and it changed my world, after a day spent there I tuned into ESPN only to find the RED WINGS VS BLUES, and I just fell in love with the team.

Then the strike, and ESPN cut the latinamerican fans (cause there are Latin american fans) the only way to see the COOLEST GAME ON EARTH.

Nowadays I can only watch highlights on youtube and on nhl.com, and still I feel it inside me, My heart has tatooed the red wings crest.

My dad grew up on 13 mile and woodward. need i say more? haha

my grandparents still live there. great place to be too. not in the crap part of the big D but close enough to get cought up in the sport.

woodward dream cruise is my yearly trip. been since i was 10 and haven't skipped one yet. man is that fun...

but i digress.

ever since i can remember it was "no no son. don't root for them. the wings are on. they are much better. and always will be. remember that...."

now thats good parenting!!!

Born in Detroit but moved to Huntsville, Alabama at age 8 (early 80's). Still a die hard all Detroit sports lover (Red Wings, Tigers, Lions and Wolverines)

It's funny though, I like the Tigers, Lions and Wolverines, but root for other teams as well. Probably because of free agency and the individual stories (i.e. Farve and the Pack, the Cubs, Auburn, things like that)

But when it comes to the Red Wings, that is it! And every and all other teams in the damn NHL can go to Hell!

I will always have something for Sergi, Shanny, D-Mac and former Wings, but Columbus, the Rangers and Calgary can kiss my balloon knot!

Edited by HuntsVegas Baby

While I was in the Navy ('91 - '95), I was stationed in Japan. Some of my best buddies on the ship, coincidentally, were from Michigan. I had always liked hockey, but being from Ohio I didn't really have a favorite team. My buddies were HUGE Wings fans, and my only other choices for teams at that time that would have qualified as anything close to being a "home" team were the Penguins, Sabres, or 'Hawks. I hate to get interested in a team just because they are winning, and the Wings, of course, hadn't won the Cup in decades but were getting better. The more I learned about the team, their heritage, and the fact that they were kind of an "under dog" at the time the more I loved 'em.

Edited by hamip1998

No chance in hell growing up in da U.P. that I wouldn't be a Red Wings fan or Pistons & Tigers fan for that matter but football was a choice between Lions and Packers and I chose the Lions. Wolverines too. My dad was a huge sports nut for basketball, baseball and football. Growing up, my brother and I would either be playing one of those sports, watching one of those games or updating/memorizing our "home" stats on the players of the particular sport in season. Naturally, I played only the sports that my dad knew how to teach which was baseball, basketball and football. Needless to say, I grew "tired" of those sports that I played and watched everyday for 18 years of my life. I had always watched the Wings and been a fan but just couldn't skate to save my life so I guess that is why I never "tired" of it like I did with the other sports. That's why I have tremendous respect for hockey is because it is a game that I couldn't excel at.

Went into the Air Force and I am in Colorado Springs now. Great place to be a Red Wings fan! Yeah right! I wear one of my Wings jerseys (I have 10) just about everyday during hockey season. Get quite a bit of the old "Red Wings suck!" stuff thrown my way to say the least. They ain't sayin nothing now though, wonder why?!

Anyways, not sure if this was right to reply in as I am from Mich but now reside in Colo. But here's to hoping that the Wings/Avs rivalry heats up again as it was great living here when it was full blown. Maybe someday they will forget they are turtlers long enough to piss off a wing!

Growing up in South Jersey, I was a huge Flyers fan when I was little. I used to go to many Flyers games and we usually had tickets in the first row, right against the glass. I remember going to a game against the Red Wings and I got to see Yzerman play. He must have deked about 3 defenders and then made an incredible move against Hextall and scored the goal. There was just something about the way he played and at that moment I became a Red Wings fan, which was during the late 80s. I had this radio that could pick up 760 WJR (which is amazing considering the distance) and used to listen to their games on the radio until I was old enough to get a satellite dish and subscribe to Center Ice. I have been a huge fan ever since.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Alot of Ohio fans it seems. :D Nothing changed for you guys when Columbus got a team?

Nah, not really. I mean about the only thing sports wise I love as much as the Wings would be my Cleveland Browns. And still, that's like saying I love a million dollars and I also love ten thousand dollars. Both true but cmon, not even close. Anyway, people in Ohio seem to be crazy about certain things. If Cleveland you're likely a diehard Browns fan and possibly an Indians or Cavs fan. If Cincinnati you're likely a diehard Bengal and Red fan. If Columbus you're gonna watch alot of OSU football (that really goes for the whole state though). So for me, if it wasn't the Browns, it didn't really matter what else was in Ohio. When the Jackets came I was psyched. Mostly, I was happy because they were in the Wings div. and I knew I could go see games for only a 90 minute drive. I do root for the Jackets though sometimes if I catch a random game or something but don't follow them much. When you're a diehard Wing, it'd be hard to root for anybody else even if a team sprouted up in your backyard.

Born in Toledo, Ohio.

Did you know Katie (help me i'm crazy now too) Holmes?

Somebody I knew in college at Ohio University roomed with a girl she went to high school with. But that was back during the Dawson's Creek years when she was hot and I had thoughts of doing illegal things with her.

I live in Milan, Italy. I started following US sports as soon as our private networks started covering them, in the late 80s. In 1993-94 they began showing a lot of NHL, and I absolutely fell in love with that Detroit team (I actually broke a finger punching the wall after that horrible first-round exit against the Sharks...). My adoration for the Wings has been growing stronger ever since, and I do everything I can to see the games - I actually got up at 1 am to watch game-1 last night....

GO WINGS!!!! :clap:

Glad to have you as a Wings faithful 94 is that the year Osgood made that bad play up the boards rookie mistake

Since I live outside Toronto, I get this question all the time. I give my parents credit for me being a Detroit fan:

-My Dad became a Tigers fan in the late 1960's.

-My Mom grew up in Windsor and most of her family still lives there. I'm usually in the Detroit area every 2 or 3 months visiting relatives.

-I lived in Windsor for 3 years.

-My Dad took me to my first Tigers game in 1983, when I was 7.

With all that connection to the Detroit area, I naturally because a Wings fan when I got into Hockey, which was in the late 1980's.

Edited by Barrie

lol...NHLPA94 on the SNES.

Detroit were one of the best teams, crappy reason, but thats where it came from.

and...my obession grew

:lol: I,m the same as you, NHL 93/ 94. can't remember if it was SNES or Saga. Exept I picked the Red Wings because I thought the name and the Winged Wheel was as cool as hell ;) , Dumb reason but it works for me. :thumbup::P

I grew up on Market and Clay in Mount Carroll Illinois.

Watched a CHI/DET game on what was FSN Chicago (known now as comcast sports Chicago.) and fell in love with that #24 guy beating the f*** out of other guys!

Well, I ws a major Sens fan and I kept getting dissapointed with their early play-off exits so I decided I wanted to be a fan of a different team. It was the '03 season (Wings coming off their 02 win) and they were such a strong team with a lot of grit. They were such a power house team so I thought, the Wings are the team for me and my Uncle is a MAJOR Wings fan who influenced me to cheer for them when I said I was through with the Sens. I told everyone that I was now a Wings fan (and was kicked out of my house....jk jk :P ) and then for Christmas my Uncle got me a Wings hat and t-shirt. Then a year later with much more Wings memrobillia I saved up 120$ and bought a Vintage striped Wings jeresey. I've been a die hard fan ever since.

I've only seen the Wings play live once against the Sens and I was just so excited. I hope I will one day get to see them play in Detroit, the experiance would be awsome. I am also dying to go to Hockeytown Authentics.

Go Wings! :thumbup:

Parents lived in Edmonton in the 80s and they went to a lot of games. While my mom was pregnant they went to a Wings/Oilers game and the Oilers won 3-1 but they told me I started kicking when the Wings scored their lone goal. When they told me that story when I was 4 I became a Wings fan and I have been that way ever since.

I spent the first 23 years of my life in Michigan, now converting Texans into fans Wings fans. Might just be the day/night party we have once a year when the wings travel to dallas but 12 and counting.

Guest Davesyuk

Steve Yzerman is the reason ever since i saw him play i've been a fan of the wings since 1987 (NOT A BAND WAGONER) back then i'd watch some of the wings games on CBC when they played the the canadian teams

So Thats How I Became A Red WIngs Fan :)