• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Non-Michigan fans: How did you become a Wings fan?

Rate this topic

Share your story with us :)

Living in Detroit, its pretty easy to be a fan :D So I'd like to hear from residence outside of Michigan.

Edited by Chaldean

Well i live in south florida now, and DC for college, but i guess its half cheating i lived in brighton michigan till i was 7 and have been a wings fan ever since....i consider myself a non-michigan person, as i dont know anything about the state really :)

My Dad was in the Air Force, so we ended up moving all over the place. My mom's brother lived in Detroit (Grosse Pointe), so the one place that we always went back to was Detroit.

I went to a number of games at The Joe with my Uncle (a devout Red Wings Fan), and fell in love with them because of that.

Been a fan ever since!!!

When my parents got divorced in 1993 my father moved from our home in Halifax, Nova Scotia back to his home province of Ontario. The reason? Chum, the company he worked for, wanted him to go run a station called 89x over in Detroit. So Dad set up camp in Windsor and every time I visited him I got an eye full of hockey town (he took me to see a game when I was 16, but I also watched all the games on tv because I guess it made me feel closer to Dad). Dad would mail me Wings jerseys to wear while I was growing up. Needless to say, I was pretty proud to wear my jersey in school the morning after Stevie ended the drought in '97!

This is probably the dumbest reason of all. My family hails from Chicago. My parents aren't really into hockey, but did watch the blackhawks as kids. I had heard stories about hockey, but grew up in a small town and never even saw a hockey game until I was an adult and had ESPN. The first game I ever saw was Detroit against someone. Knowing nothing about hockey, I just picked a team to cheer for. I don't even remember why I picked them over the other team, but I've stuck with them ever since. Oh, and I do have friends who are devout Avs fans, so that rivalry solidified my love of the Wings.

My dad brought me up a wings fan.

I idolized Steve Yzerman since I was 6 years old , and living in NFLD , You really had a choice between Toronto and montreal. and everyone knows how much better Detroit are then either one of those teams :P

The first hockey game I remember going to was the Wings against the Caps. I liked their logo and the sweet red jerseys and the fact that their best player's last name started with a Y, so I rooted for them at that game and have been doing so ever since.

I was originally a fan of Hull, and rooted for his teams (St Louis, Dallas, then Detroit) but have remained a Detroit fan ever since he was on the team.

Thats exactly how i am with the Isles.... Followed Ozzie around and really started liking the Isles team as a whole.

lol...NHLPA94 on the SNES.

Detroit were one of the best teams, crappy reason, but thats where it came from.

and...my obession grew

OMG me too!

i was very young at the time and i remember scoring a million goals with coffey and yzerman

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Share your story with us :)

Living in Detroit, its pretty easy to be a fan :D So I'd like to hear from residence outside of Michigan.

Living in Ohio it was either the Pens or the Wings. I hate the Steelers so therefore anything from Pittsburgh is unacceptable. Then Stevie came and I started to really get into hockey anyway, I was only about 8 or 9. Anyway, I loved the jerseys and as I got older I started to have a love of history and with that a love of hockey history and what franchise would be better in that regard (Montreal doesn't count for Americans :D )

Once Detroit acquired alot of my favorite players:

Yzerman

Fedorov

Chelios

Hull

Hasek

I started following them. The 02 Avs Series got me absolutely hooked on hockey. I have loved the Wings ever since, and even when a player I like leaves, I seem to like the team even more because I am learning about young guys, etc. For someone outside of the area, the only downside is Detroit. It is not exactly the sort of place I want to go on vacation to and catch a couple of games. So, pretty much, it would be really expensive to fly to Detroit solely for the games.

I guess this doesn't count either but when I first moved to America we lived in Warren till 98. That sealed the deal. Other people in Arizona seem to love the wings because either their parents are from Michigan or they don't like the Avs.

I'm from Toronto and Shanahan has always been my favourite player and when he came over here I was maybe 10 or 11, thats about when I started to play a ton of NHL95 and NHL96 and the Red Wings roster just grew and grew on me, when Shanahan left last year it wasn't really a big deal to me, there was no question that I am just a die hard Red Wings fans now no matter who is in the line up... and it doesn't hurt that some of my favourite OHLers (Ellis, Barnes, Bootland) ended up in the system...

I live in Milan, Italy. I started following US sports as soon as our private networks started covering them, in the late 80s. In 1993-94 they began showing a lot of NHL, and I absolutely fell in love with that Detroit team (I actually broke a finger punching the wall after that horrible first-round exit against the Sharks...). My adoration for the Wings has been growing stronger ever since, and I do everything I can to see the games - I actually got up at 1 am to watch game-1 last night....

GO WINGS!!!! :clap:

My parents were both insane football fans and I never really got into the sport as a kid, so I always looked around for something else that I was interested in. I can play some pretty good badminton, but there aren't exactly national badminton leagues on TV :P But then I saw a Red Wings game on TV because I live in NW Ohio and then I just started watching more and more hockey, always rooting for the Wings. It all evolved from there and now I'm a serious Wings fan!

[first post! Yay! :D ]

Well this is a great one...

I was born and grew up in Virginia and my Dad went to University of Michigan, and my Step-Dad went to Michigan State, but both of them came to Virginia too (they didnt know each other and came at different times too)... Needless to say, both of my houses are Michigan houses.

Here's mine. When I first got into hockey (early 90s), I was a Hartford Whalers fan. I had family in CT, they got me a Whalers hat for Christmas, and figuring that was as good of a reason as any, they became my favorite team. I also liked the Pens around that time, since they were the parent club of the IHL's Cleveland Lumberjacks, but the Whalers were my favorite.

So in 1993-94, an NHL team moving to Cleveland was the rumor du jour. The Whalers were a likely candidate, and I guess as a way to test the market, four neutral-site games were played at the old Richfield Coliseum that season. Anyway, my parents got me tickets to one--Whalers vs. Red Wings. It was in February, 1994 (I think, the ticket stub's at home, I'm at work). The way I remember the game, the Wings won 3-0, pretty sure Yzerman had one of the goals, and the Wings outshot the Whale something like the way we outshot Calgary last night. Burke was actually pretty great, but he was a sitting duck.

Me being an impressionable 13-year-old, I thought it was pretty freaking cool how good the Wings were. The other thing that absolutely blew me away were the fans--there were something like 12,000 people there, all Wings fans, and probably 98% of them made the three-hour drive to this barn in the middle of nowhere to see their team. And they were LOUD too.

So pretty much from that point on, the Wings and Whalers were kind of my co-favorite teams. Then 1996-97 came along, the Whalers moved and the Wings won the Cup, and the rest is history.

I'm originally from West Virginia and there are no professional sports teams in WV. I love sports and I've always used Cleveland as my home sports city as it was usually the closest and my Dad is a Cleveland sports fan. Plus, where I grew up is like right across the river from Ohio. But, Ohio didn't have a hockey team at all when I was younger and noone in West Virginia likes hockey, generally speaking. Thus, I had never really been introduced to hockey at all. But, I happened to start watching when I was 14 during the lockout season and followed the Red Wings because I hate Pittsburgh teams and Detroit was about as close as anything else, but mostly because I loved Vladimir Konstantinov..... I have been hooked ever since. I love the Wings more than any of my other teams that I follow now.