• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

alwiap

The way NBC films games

Rate this topic

Let me first tell everyone that I am a red wings fan in Louisiana right now, so I can't get any coverage of the wings (or the NHL for that matter) outside of SportsCenter, the world-wide interwebs in my computer, and occasionally the VS channel if I'm at a house with extended cable.

I watched Game 2in its entirety today. It was the first time I have watched a complete NHL game on NBC, and I thought the camera angles were generally terrible and I often felt disoriented. Also, what is it with the guy who sits in between the benches by himself and broadcasts from the ice? Who the hell needs that, and since when has NBC been doing that? That must be boring as hell to sit in a booth by yourself all game. Anyway does anyone else share my contempt for the way the camera switches to close-up.. etc.. for like 3 seconds and then goes back out? I would much rather prefer a regular overview the whole time. Same goes with other sports I guess.

Yeah, top-down is the way to be. Wings had a PP (may have been one of the 5-on-3s?) and they went to an angle from behind the net and it was just awful. Worst part was they did for the duration of the power play. That's why you gotta roll with CBC--they don't f*** around when it comes to coverage of the ice.

This is funny...over on one of the Flames messageboards, they're talking about how much more they like NBC's presentation compared to CBC's and that they really like the behind the net PP view.

Oh, and for about an hour of great entertainment: the massive collective meltdown in their gameday thread.

That must be boring as hell to sit in a booth by yourself all game.

Are you kidding? Talk about the best seat in the house!!!

Although I agree with you in some cases on their production quality, I have to say that beggars can't be choosers. (I'm in the same boat as you, as I only get to watch the games on NBC too. It's NHL.Com Radio for me on every other game). Poorly produced hockey coverage is better than no coverage at all...

How can you not like the guy in between the two benches? That is a GREAT addition by NBC. He is able to relay to the viewers, what the coaches are saying to their teams and also what players are saying to each other. I highly doubt that he finds it boring standing there by himself and I think most viewers find what he has to say as anything but boring.

Yeah, top-down is the way to be. Wings had a PP (may have been one of the 5-on-3s?) and they went to an angle from behind the net and it was just awful. Worst part was they did for the duration of the power play. That's why you gotta roll with CBC--they don't f*** around when it comes to coverage of the ice.

i actually liked that behind the net view on the 5 on 3 because you could see all the plays developing, it's was kinda cool.

Also with NBC, did anyone but me notice that some of their stats were wrong? For example when they said that Vernon and Jamie Macoun both played for Calgarys cup and the Wings 1997 cup. Macoun won a cup in Detroit in 1998, not 97. There were a couple other stats that were incorrect, but I can't remember what they were now. Another thing is why doesn't TSN know that Datsyuk was on the 2002 Cup winning team? Here they have the series info including the players that have won cups from both teams. But I don't see Dats on the list.

I dug it actually, but yeah, it is different. It closes the ice-view off a lot, but the set-up it lets you see is somewhat novel.

I wouldn't want it all the time though.

Having a guy down between the benches is GREAT. Maybe had Pierre McGuire been there for Marc Crawford's infamous tirade, he could have just held the microphone up and let the whole world hear what pearls of wisdom Crawford had for Scotty that night :lol:

As for the angle behind the net on the PP.....I'm still torn. It takes some getting used to, and it's more easily blocked by fans or the cotton candy guy. But when the puck goes in, you can see it right away. You also get a really good perspective on how the play develops and where the skaters are supposed to go at certain times.

Also with NBC, did anyone but me notice that some of their stats were wrong? For example when they said that Vernon and Jamie Macoun both played for Calgarys cup and the Wings 1997 cup. Macoun won a cup in Detroit in 1998, not 97. There were a couple other stats that were incorrect, but I can't remember what they were now. Another thing is why doesn't TSN know that Datsyuk was on the 2002 Cup winning team? Here they have the series info including the players that have won cups from both teams. But I don't see Dats on the list.

I'm not sure if Dats played in the Finals though, I know for a fact he played the 7-0 victory over Colorado, I don't remember him playing in the 02 Cup finals, I'll keep looking. Good point on the incorrect stats.

Having a guy down between the benches is GREAT. Maybe had Pierre McGuire been there for Marc Crawford's infamous tirade, he could have just held the microphone up and let the whole world hear what pearls of wisdom Crawford had for Scotty that night :lol:

Oh, if ONLY...

I'm not sure if Dats played in the Finals though, I know for a fact he played the 7-0 victory over Colorado, I don't remember him playing in the 02 Cup finals, I'll keep looking. Good point on the incorrect stats.

I stand corrected, I looked at Dats stats on Redwings.com and it said he did get credit for winning the cup and in fact he did it in his first try, so i guess TSN was wrong, which is wierd!! Pavel also was part of the Cup going to Russia in 2002. Chalk one up for Pavel!!!! :thumbup:

I hate that angle! My roommate and I called that view the nosebleed view. Just awful. If i can't be at the game, I want to see the game crystal clear, near ice level. I don't mind NBC, but that angle is terrible.

I thought the coverage and angles were fine. I also like the announcer between the benches.

My fave quote from today was when he asked Chelios what Babock said.

"I'm not gonna tell you that," said Chelios.

iLOL

In any case I still miss Thorne and Clement callling games.

:(

too often when the camera zooms in ice level the puck moves and the action goes elsewhere, in such a fastpaced game its hard to get everything right live

I don't like the guy between the benches. How distracting to have this guy yapping at you and then you are expected to talk to him DURING THE GAME! It is like my hubby said today... he is just waiting for the guy to ask Cheli how it feels to be scored on, just so Cheli will tell him "How in the hell do you think it feels" or something along those salty lines....

How in the heck did Jamie Macoun come up? I remember holding my breath everytime he was on the ice.