• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

alwiap

The way NBC films games

Rate this topic

Wings had a PP (may have been one of the 5-on-3s?) and they went to an angle from behind the net and it was just awful. Worst part was they did for the duration of the power play.
I agree! I thought that angle, used in that manner, was VERY disorienting and made it impossible to follow the play.

Why do people always ***** about the games when they are on VS or NBC?

I really saw no difference between todays game on NBC and the game Thursday on FSN, besides the behind the net angle on the PP, which I thought was really cool because you could really see the PP develop and watch them cycle.

We won. Isn't that all that matters?

Stop Bitching.

Why do people always ***** about the games when they are on VS or NBC?

I really saw no difference between todays game on NBC and the game Thursday on FSN, besides the behind the net angle on the PP, which I thought was really cool because you could really see the PP develop and watch them cycle.

We won. Isn't that all that matters?

Stop Bitching.

because we can?

bitching about me bitching about something else :ph34r:

i love u

I would like it more if Pierre made him self useful and had a camera like ken daniels did when he was between the bench that one time.

I thought the behind the net view on the PP was interesting...

For about 30 seconds. Then it just got kind of annoying when I was trying to see what the hell was going on around the net. But I'd much rather watch the NBC feed than CBC during the playoffs. I can't stand listening to the Canadian homerism that goes on through their entire broadcast. Plus, the guy who does play by play and is normally paired with Harry Neale makes me want to put a bullet in my head.

The behind the net view was brilliant, watching the puck cycle and such.

Hahah, I don't know how I feel about the guy in between the bench. I kept feeling awkward when he kept going on about how piss poor the Flames were playing. I kept wondering, "can't they hear that?!"

Not a fan of the behind the net angle either, but the guy inbetween the benches has the best job in the arena. He gets paid to sit there and watch the game just inches away from the players. When you are that close to the action I dont see any way it could get boring.

One other thing i noticed about nbc is they love showing a replay half a dozen times in a row. One example was when Kipper got hit in the head by that puck and fell back onto the ice. They showed the replay of the puck hitting him square in the head 4 or 5 times in a row. Granted it was a great shot but it looked like someone was going back and forth on their Tivo just to watch him get nailed over and over.

Hahah, I don't know how I feel about the guy in between the bench. I kept feeling awkward when he kept going on about how piss poor the Flames were playing. I kept wondering, "can't they hear that?!"

You're talking about Pierre McGuire here. He doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks, or hears him say, as the case was. Loud and proud, that Pierre...

well i for one am pissed at the sons of ******* here at nbc apparetly they bought the rights to some cardinals game (i live in st louis) dont get my wrong i like to watch baseball, but this is PLAYOFF HOCKEY people, i was at work today and was excited cause i made sure noone told me the score i get home to watch the game and bam this old house was on for the first half of the hockey game then it converted into the cards and brewers game.

so i had to settle for watching highlights of the game.

You're talking about Pierre McGuire here. He doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks, or hears him say, as the case was. Loud and proud, that Pierre...

He wants a rematch with Lebda too for the snub.

:clap:

Guest Crymson

Let me first tell everyone that I am a red wings fan in Louisiana right now, so I can't get any coverage of the wings (or the NHL for that matter) outside of SportsCenter, the world-wide interwebs in my computer, and occasionally the VS channel if I'm at a house with extended cable.

I watched Game 2in its entirety today. It was the first time I have watched a complete NHL game on NBC, and I thought the camera angles were generally terrible and I often felt disoriented. Also, what is it with the guy who sits in between the benches by himself and broadcasts from the ice? Who the hell needs that, and since when has NBC been doing that? That must be boring as hell to sit in a booth by yourself all game. Anyway does anyone else share my contempt for the way the camera switches to close-up.. etc.. for like 3 seconds and then goes back out? I would much rather prefer a regular overview the whole time. Same goes with other sports I guess.

Disagree. I liked the camera angles, especially the power play cam behind the net. Who cares about the guy between the benches? Why is that so bad?

Disagree. I liked the camera angles, especially the power play cam behind the net. Who cares about the guy between the benches? Why is that so bad?

I am just used to people being on the sideline reporting only in other sports like football or basketball, not hockey. I don't really care, just thought it was interesting considering I hadn't seen a national broadcast of a hockey game in quite some time and thought it was funny. I just like the old fashioned one camera overhead view for live action so I can expect everything to be constant with the cams.

Actually, kind of off topic, but I think a year ago or so TNT or some network broadcasted a NBA game with no commentary at all, just game sounds, I actually liked it just as a change maybe, but interesting anyway.

Edited by alwiap

I kept yelling at him to shut up! I kept thinking he was trying to get the Flames pumped up or something! Luckily it didn't work though! :P

Edited by Kp-Wings

glad someone brought this up...

1. i used to hate the behind the net PP angle UNTIL i bought an HD TV. I'm wondering if you people are watching a cropped NTSC version and not HD 16x9. if so, you're going to lose about a 1/6th of the image of each side of your square (4x3) TV. That being said, that extra 1/3 allows you to see so much. I really like that angle during the powerplay, you can see the play develop much better... like being there.

-NBC's PP camera was very high compared to what I'm used to, which was OK. But my favorite is HDnet's PP camera, it is much lower, but not connected to the glass behind the net. If you don't have HD or HDnet, I highly recommend it for next season. (Murph does color for HDnet sometimes).

2. I absolutely hate Pierre McGuire. I understand NBC's reasoning for putting a guy between the benches, it's the best seat in the house, and potentially a great perspective for the audience. But PEE-AIR blows. I don't agree with most of what he says on a hockey level, but mostly, i hate him talking about what the benches are doing and how they're feeling. I tell you this from experience, the media just wants to be heard and they'll talk about what they know people will listen to. Point being, I don't believe half of what he was "hearing" from the benches. I so wished Amonte would of leaned over and given Pee Air s*** while he ripped on the Flames all first period. Just ridiculous. I wish NBC would put someone respectful down there that knows what they're doing. (aka John Buccigross).

3. I've never been a fan of Emrick and his manufactured hockey lingo, i.e. "knifed one out - shivered one - twisted one - spun one - how many bags do you have in your club (retard) - 101 seconds to go - he klomps his glove on that one - rolled in by Calder - nudging it back to center - turned it back further for Cleary - it squibbed off hasek - etc," it gets worse if you pay attention. (by the way, i got all those in 3 minutes during the game's replay on NBC-universalHD, not guessing.) With how bad Pee Air is, I'm starting to not hate Emrick so much. Just give me Dave / Ken and Mickey anyday. (Strader is doing some games for Versus right now, rock).

4. Bert, please come back so Phaneuf stops elbowing Datsyuk... and so Iginla quits being a dick.

i actually liked that behind the net view on the 5 on 3 because you could see all the plays developing, it's was kinda cool.

Yes, I couldn't agree more! I really like that angle, as it allows you to see where the passing seams are, as well as both the offensive and defensive schemes being implemented. I can see how it might be disorientating for some, but it is an excellent perspective on a power play.

Let me first tell everyone that I am a red wings fan in Louisiana right now, so I can't get any coverage of the wings (or the NHL for that matter) outside of SportsCenter, the world-wide interwebs in my computer, and occasionally the VS channel if I'm at a house with extended cable.

I watched Game 2in its entirety today. It was the first time I have watched a complete NHL game on NBC, and I thought the camera angles were generally terrible and I often felt disoriented. Also, what is it with the guy who sits in between the benches by himself and broadcasts from the ice? Who the hell needs that, and since when has NBC been doing that? That must be boring as hell to sit in a booth by yourself all game. Anyway does anyone else share my contempt for the way the camera switches to close-up.. etc.. for like 3 seconds and then goes back out? I would much rather prefer a regular overview the whole time. Same goes with other sports I guess.

Off-topic a bit, but I hail from the New Orleans area, been a Wings fan since the mid 90s.

I'm not one to throw temper tantrums about broadcasting or filming games, I'm just thankful that they are on TV, wish some here could be as appreciative of that as well. I get a kick out of how much energy is expended in whining about broadcasters of the hockey games, why VS or NBC is disliked, etc. It is something that is taken way too seriously in here by too many people.

If I don't like commentary I just hit the mute button. ;)

My only light complaint was on the 5-on-3 PP's the Wings had, it was filmed high abve and behind the net. Kinda cool looking, but I had a hard time getting used to that look. Guess my eyes would have to get used to it a bit more as I continue to tune in.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I liked the camera view accept it was too high. My normal seats at the Joe are behind the net about 10 rows up, and it makes for a very different view of the game. But it is awesome to watch the flow of the game from that angle.

Not only setting up on the PP, but the attacking team coming into the zone and away from you is truly cool.

It was a little disorienting to view the play from behind the net, but I still liked the different perspective during the PP because it felt much more realistic.

As for the guy between the benches, I don't mind as long as he keeps to himself and just calls the game or points out interesting developments near the benches - but as soon as they start trying to interview people during the game, I can't stand it. The media needs to just back the hell up and wait their turn. There is just no reason for that crap, especially in a sport with two lengthy intermissions available to harass the team in between periods of play.

To tell you the truth I kinda liked the angle from behind the goal, it takes a little getting used to but I think its an awesome prespective!

It's great for a PP. It shows all the players on the ice and the defensive/offensive schemes they are using.

Typically, FSN will show from the standard view and will only show about 80% of the offensive zone and the camera will have to move if the puck goes behind the goal or to the point. I like the new angle, but ONLY on the PP.

It was a little disorienting to view the play from behind the net, but I still liked the different perspective during the PP because it felt much more realistic.

As for the guy between the benches, I don't mind as long as he keeps to himself and just calls the game or points out interesting developments near the benches - but as soon as they start trying to interview people during the game, I can't stand it. The media needs to just back the hell up and wait their turn. There is just no reason for that crap, especially in a sport with two lengthy intermissions available to harass the team in between periods of play.

Yeah, I never have liked the on-site interviews of the players, they all say the exact same thing and usually none of the players they interview have a real personality in front of the camera, even if I like them. i.e. "Both teams played hard, we just have to stick together and keep doing what we're doing". etc.etc.etc. It's rare when I actually get anything out of someone's interview that seems like it hadn't been said already.

I thought the coverage and angles were fine. I also like the announcer between the benches.

My fave quote from today was when he asked Chelios what Babock said.

"I'm not gonna tell you that," said Chelios.

iLOL

In any case I still miss Thorne and Clement callling games.

:(

can you imagine gary thorne in your ear screaming ............................the detroit red wings win the cup!!!!!!!!!! i still get chills to this day hearing that line from 1997!!!!! can vs or nbc get gary back please ...............

Edited by LEBDA22