• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Stan Leycup X

Kiprusoff

Rate this topic

Are people just seeing the number of saves and assuming he played so great? To me, it seemed like most of the shots Detroit was taking was unscreened slapshots from about 60 feet away, which any NHL goalie should be stopping.

Meanwhile, Datsyuk's long wrist shot goes in...

Kiprusoff seems flashy too, the reason I used to dislike Cujo. He'll get the puck in his glove and then do the windmill thing to make it look like a better save than it was.

He's a great goalie, I just don't know why these guys keep saying how awesome he played in Game 2.

Because he has played great. If this were any other goalie in the league, the score would EASILY be around 7-1, 8-1. That goes for both games. Kipper is the only one doing something for his team. Much like Cujo being the only one doing his job in '04. The score might not indicate it, but he's kept his team in it. They haven't done s*** to help him out. He's an excellent goalie, and he should be credited for his amazing play in the two games despite coming out the loser.

The guy has made 90 saves out of 97 shots in only 2 games. Now that, in my opinion, is pretty damn good. Not all of these shots are what you said bad shots either. He has made some spectatular saves so far in this series.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Are people just seeing the number of saves and assuming he played so great? To me, it seemed like most of the shots Detroit was taking was unscreened slapshots from about 60 feet away, which any NHL goalie should be stopping.

Kiprusoff seems flashy too, the reason I used to dislike Cujo. He'll get the puck in his glove and then do the windmill thing to make it look like a better save than it was.

He's a great goalie, I just don't know why these guys keep saying how awesome he played in Game 2.

You put Kipper on the Wings (seeing as he can play almost every day) and he doesn't get injured (Joey macdonald anyone?) and the Wings probably win the President's trophy.

As it is, he isn't getting much help from his teammates.

Don't awaken the sleeping beast ok?

I'm with hockeycrazy on this one. In the first game he absolutely robbed Datsyuk and Homer, in what would otherwise be goals. Today he stopped a really difficult shot by Lang that was aimed right above the shoulder at close range, which is one of the most difficult saves to make simply because of the latency in human reaction time.

No matter how you look at it, 97 shots in a span of 2 games means that you are working hard, especially with snipers like Lidstrom and Schneider, and forwards like Dats and Zetterberg, and especially when Homer is on your doorstep every time a shot is taken.

The man really deserves credit

Oh, and Datsyuk's long wrister is one of the best in the league imo. His release is so quick and his accuracy is scary-good. And with that new stick his shots are only faster.

Edited by Echolalia

You put Kipper on the Wings (seeing as he can play almost every day) and he doesn't get injured (Joey macdonald anyone?) and the Wings probably win the Presidents trophy.

As it is, he isn't getting much help from his teammates.

Don't awaken the sleeping beast ok?

I don't consider winning that award a good thing. :crazy:

Now, if Buffalo is eliminated by the Islanders this year, something will seriously be wrong with the Presidents Trophy. No way (even though I'm still calling it, just to stir things up ;) ) the Islanders should beat a team like Buffalo in the playoffs. There is a major talent difference between the two.

I don't consider winning that award a good thing. :crazy:

Now, if Buffalo is eliminated by the Islanders this year, something will seriously be wrong with the Presidents Trophy. No way (even though I'm still calling it, just to stir things up ;) ) the Islanders should beat a team like Buffalo in the playoffs. There is a major talent difference between the two.

True I was just going for a comparision given that Ozzy and "Hassock" :D were hurt this year at different varying points and Kipper wasn't, that's it.

The President's Trophy is kind of like the Heisman in College football. Sometimes it's hard to go into the playoffs as THE favorite and win it all.

Guest Tunbo Batman

a lot of DET shots are hard to block, now that they have traffic in front and everything. Kippy is superior, but nothing can stop this flurry coming from all angles.

He'll get the puck in his glove and then do the windmill thing to make it look like a better save than it was.

I really don't think Kipper is like: " I hope Datsyuk does a wrist shot on my glovehand side, so I can catch it and do the windmill, so people think it was more difficult to stop than it actually was. "

Every goalie has its style.

Take Felix Potvin. 9 out if 10 times he was in perfect position to the shot, so his saves looked fairly easy.

Take Tommy Salo. Although a great goalie, he was often caught out of position, so his saves looked more spectacular compared to someone like Potvin.

A glove save looks more intense on a butterfly goalie than on a standup (or hybrid even) goalie.

Add personal style, size, weight an experience to it and you have 30 different starting goalies in the NHL.

And let's be honest: we all know Dom as a very onorthodox, hard working goalie, but he's easily to be mistaken for a "flashy" goaltender....

[edit: (Tori) Spelling]

Edited by interminded

hasek's probably the least flashy goalie around.

In terms of not doing any Statue of Liberty junk, perhaps...

I know you absolutely adore him, but if you mean by flopping around or doing acrobtic stuff to make saves, he's way up on the flashiness scale.

Anyways, back to the main topic at hand on Kiprusoff...Kipper has been the only one to show up consistently for the Flames in the first two games. Other than the long rebound goal yesterday, he's been very solid facing a lot of rubber. He's been one of the top-5 goaltenders IMO over the past few seasons for good reason. He's one of the better goalies in the league, give him his fair share of credit.

that's not flashy play. he wastes no motion, he just does what he has to do. some don't understand his style and assume it's for show when it's not.

flashy is making a save look a little better than it is. being an actor in the net. cujo and brodeur have it down to a science. i half expect marty to do a jig.

i hate roy, but i'll give him one thing, he also didn't waste much motion. and when he was being a cocky prick he didn't do it subtly.

So practically, YOU decide when it's style and when it's being an actor ?

Time to get a coaching job then...

so how long did you play goalie?

i sat in a net my whole life. i've watched every style i can think of. make no mistake, goalies embellish saves. and there are some actors in the nhl, believe it or not.

Actually, I've been a goalie for 9 years.

But that has nothing to do with this.

Me liking or disliking a goalie or a certain playing style doesn't make me less objective.

IMO, it's very hard for us to judge if a one goalie is an actor or not.

The NHL isn't really the venue to add certain moves for style-embelishment...

Kipper has played great. Yes, the Wings took ALOT of shots from the perimiter, but they also did ALOT of great passing and shooting that Kipper has been able to keep a lid on. He truly is the only reason the Flames aren't buried under goals now.

That said, I hope he remains the only good thing on the Flames team right now, and that the Wings continue to dominate!!!

unscreened???? did you watch the game??

that's not flashy play. he wastes no motion, he just does what he has to do. some don't understand his style and assume it's for show when it's not.

flashy is making a save look a little better than it is. being an actor in the net. cujo and brodeur have it down to a science. i half expect marty to do a jig.

i hate roy, but i'll give him one thing, he also didn't waste much motion. and when he was being a cocky prick he didn't do it subtly.

Well, here's one way of looking at Hasek.

Either he's not flashy, wastes no motion, and just plays a more efficient style than everybody else,

or:

He is flashy.

Please note that claiming the former means goalies that have posted comparable stats to Hasek playing a less efficient style would mean those goaltenders are actually more skilled than Hasek was in his prime. Not sure if you want to go there, but that's the logical conclusion.

The goalie I've always felt gets screwed because he's not flashy is Ozzie. All he does is stop pucks, and he always had the 'good defense' label dogging him because he wasn't making the spectacular save, because he wasn't out of position in the first place.

This is just stupid. Kippur has beem brilliant. Just because Dom has only allowed 2 goals thus far and Kippur has allowed 7 doesn't mean he isn't playing out of his mind.

Kippur: 0.927 SV% (90-97)

Dom: 0.943 SV% (33-35)

There isn't too many goalies out there that have 0.927 SV% after allowing 7 goals in 2 games. The best game for either goalie by far was Game 1, and it was for Kippur. He was beyond incredible.

No need to be such a homer. Give credit where credit is due.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I think kipper's stats maybe slightly inflated due to Samuelsson's wristers. But he has been playing great and pretty much has been the only flame to come and play the last two games. Without him we would have outscored them like 17-2. :D

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

come on man, if it were any goalie other than kipper the wings woule have scored probably 6 or 7 goals in their games