• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bertuzzi

Glowing Puck

Rate this topic

Does anyone else feel that the point of this thread was to brag about this chump's 60" Plasma?

Thats what I was thinking...we should just give this guy a dog cookie or a 1st place ribbon and close this thread. Obviously the size of the guys tv is compensating for his lack of size somewhere else :lol:

i say woah about the size of one memebr has nothing to do with ones tv size i have a 50 inch plasma that i purchased for HD gaming

:lol: my tv is 42 inches so I guess i just have less to compensate for

Let's face it, hockey is the only sport you have to learn how to watch.

Odd that you should say, but - I guess the first lesson I always teach the 'new' fans is that: If yer watchin' the puck you're missing the whole game. The play rarely happens there.

I dunno.

aloha

Let's face it, hockey is the only sport you have to learn how to watch.

So true. I played hockey in australia. And as we were getting more and more people out to watch the games, they had real troubles. NOt just with the puck, but changing on the fly (that one was huge), offsides, icing.

Can anybody give me an honest answer of what was so wrong with the glowing puck/puck tail?

Just because it might just tamper with traditon an eensy teeny weeny bit? Seriously, there's a lot worse out their in the NHL.

I swear, some people just flip out on trying anything different in the NHL, even minute things like this that don't really affect it's popularity that much.

We want the game to be more well-known in this country and for the general public to understand the game more and make it easier for them to watch, yet we flinch over a lot of the attempts to do that because it might affect the status quo.

We can't have things both ways.

I agree ... a lot of hockey ppl are traditionalists. But I think it is important for the sport to evolve. But as for the glowing puck, I think it was just a silly technology item, that made the sport look more like lazer-tag or star wars than hockey. That being said, with new tv systems etc. As mentioned above, an on/off option might be able to revive it.

Can anybody give me an honest answer of what was so wrong with the glowing puck/puck tail?

Just because it might just tamper with traditon an eensy teeny weeny bit? Seriously, there's a lot worse out their in the NHL.

I swear, some people just flip out on trying anything different in the NHL, even minute things like this that don't really affect it's popularity that much.

We want the game to be more well-known in this country and for the general public to understand the game more and make it easier for them to watch, yet we flinch over a lot of the attempts to do that because it might affect the status quo.

.....:::: CAUTION..........Threadjack? :::.......

OK here's the deal (well........my deal - please don't consider this a flame as it is not my intention.)

I just hafta say it: I do NOT care if the NHL grows, or is more popular, or is liked by you, or expands to Las Vegas, or looks pretty, or sells better, or is faster or slower or.......nevermind. I just don't care. So what if it doesn't attract Nascar or NFL or MLB or NBA watchers?

So what? Take a minute. So what?

If it's a 3rd class citizen then so be it. I am not NHL management. CLEARLY not right?

I don't want it both ways is my point. Only ever wanted it one way.

:::::::::::: Please accept my apologies for the rant - done ::::::::::

aloha

I think it will come back in a sense.

As in, a way to see the puck when its in a goalies equipment. If they took the color off it and just made it black then when it was behind the near boards or under the goalie you could see it much easier.

it was a gimick, that had legit uses and someday in a similar fashion it will be back

mark my words

The problem i had with the glowig puck was that contrary to its purpose, I actually had a harder time following it.

Yes, I could see the big glowing thing wherever it was on the ice, but a lot of the time I couldn't tell if a shot had scored or gone two feet wide of the net. It was all a big glowing blur. That's a dealbreaker for me.

I'll admit that it can be hard to find the puck if you're a new fan, but eventually you figure out the flow of the game.

Besides, tv's have gotten so much bigger, and with the advent of Hi-Def, it should be less of an issue.

Hahahahaha... so YOU guys are the reason we had to endure that horrible, horrible idea. I always wondered...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAqfSBEwJgE

Seriously though, it looks ridiculous and I have never found it all that difficult to follow the play. I think people lose the puck a lot less watching in HD as well so I seriously doubt we'll ever see anything like this again.

I miss that style of crease.

OK here's the deal (well........my deal - please don't consider this a flame as it is not my intention.)

I just hafta say it: I do NOT care if the NHL grows, or is more popular, or is liked by you, or expands to Las Vegas, or looks pretty, or sells better, or is faster or slower or.......nevermind. I just don't care. So what if it doesn't attract Nascar or NFL or MLB or NBA watchers?

If it's a 3rd class citizen then so be it. I am not NHL management. CLEARLY not right?

aloha

Well taken, I'm the same way. I'm damn proud to be a hockey fan, when it's not necessarily the "in" thing, not in this country except for a select few areas, and especially not here. All the crap I have to take about it, like on Easter when I bitched about how the Cleveland LeBrons are on WUAB (local channel) AND ESPN, AND they still have to pre-empt the Wings-Blue Jackets game on FSN-Ohio earlier in the week. God forbid the LeBrons not be on THREE channels at the same time.

It never stops: Blah, blah, blah hockey sucks, blah, blah, blah nobody cares blah, blah, blah is the lockout over blah, blah, blah how many people watched the all-star game blah, blah, blah why are hockey players allowed to fight but when basketball players do it they're thugs...

Then I go to work last Friday wearing a Wings t-shirt. One guy straight up asked my why I like hockey. I asked him why he likes football, that pretty much ended that. But it didn't stop someone from trying to convince me that "red wings" were something a guy earns from being with a woman during her period. She had no idea that my shirt was for A HOCKEY TEAM.

So yeah, each and every one of them can go to hell. I don't care that they're not smart enough to get it, like we all are.

But all of that said, I don't run the NHL. So I can't really blame the people who do for trying to market their product to potential new fans. I know how to watch a game where the puck doesn't have a vapor trail, but I don't remember the thing actually taking away from my enjoyment of the game.

I didn't much care for the glowing puck, but man those cartoon robots that showed up whenever a goal was scored were COOL! :lol:

...omg the robots on fox were AWESOME! They were my favorite, after a goal, when they go to commercials the two robots would transform into hockey players and then one would destroy the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljDf2him23I

ahhh...the robots were the coolest :)

Odd that you should say, but - I guess the first lesson I always teach the 'new' fans is that: If yer watchin' the puck you're missing the whole game. The play rarely happens there.

I dunno.

aloha

To me it's this: If you try and focus on the puck, you'll lose it. If you watch the players, you'll always know where the puck is and you don't have to worry about focusing on it. And if you watch enough hockey, watching the players will show you not only where the puck is but where it will be. Then you're set.

aloha

Here's my issue... You have to grow the game. Bettman sucks at growing it, but he tries. If you don't evolve and grow the NHL eventually it will dwindle down and waste away. If they don't attract new fans to the NHL, cities will give up their teams or fold. Kids will not grow up wanting to play in the NHL and then the talent in the NHL will decline. Look at how the NHL has slipped just in the last 20 years. NASCAR came in and made us the distant 4th professional sport in North America. Somehow, someway, the NHL must continue to find ways to attract new people to the game.

Not saying the "glow puck" is the answer... I hated it too. But if it grew the game (which it didn't) I can live with it.

My buddies and I were just talking about that this past weekend. All I have to say is STUPID AMERICANS. No offense to anyone here, because I know you guys are all actual hockey fans. But the dumbasses who made the puck trailing glow are stupid Americans who have no business whatsoever in regards to hockey.

You've got to be kidding me! THis was Bettman's way of thinking he could get more fans of the game because people complain that they don't like to watch hockey becasue they cant follow the puck. TERRIBLE!!!

^^^ I cant say for sure ... but I dont think this was Bettmans idea. I know in the hockey world, most love to point at that little weasle and blame him for everything that is wrong with hockey. It was Fox sports if I do recall. I'm sure they had to pass it by the NHL, but it waasn't his idea.

Glowing pucks, streamline jerseys, rule changes ... some will come, some will go, some will stay. Not everything is going to work, nor will it appeal to everyone. But sports will change, just like everything else, or they will fade and be popular only to a handful of oldtimers.

...omg the robots on fox were AWESOME! They were my favorite, after a goal, when they go to commercials the two robots would transform into hockey players and then one would destroy the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljDf2him23I

ahhh...the robots were the coolest :)

My favorite was the robot that hit the other turned into a giant metal puck, became a vacuum cleaner and sucked it up! :lol:

I hated the glowing puck! I actually signed a petition to have it stopped!

For me it made it harder to watch the game. It was too distracting. Trying to watch the play and the puck and then seeing this big glowing thing sliding around the ice. It did sort of look like a video game. I think that since it was a Fox idea and not an NHL idea, it actually lasted longer than it would have if all games had the glowing puck.

I also remember some players saying that it made the puck feel different and they didn't like playing with the glowing pucks.

I think that there is room for the game to grow to try and bring in people. Even though I am not crazy about them, I think the shoot-outs are a way to make it more exciting than a regular season tie. This could help bring in people.

I just think there are hockey people and non-hockey people. If the only way a guy is going to watch the game is if the puck glows, maybe it isn't the right sport for him. I find that most people that I turn on to hockey, never took the time to learn the rules, and once they know what is going on most think it's a great game. I think it was ABC that was trying to do a little educating during the playoffs at one time. They basically went through the rules throughout the game. Maybe there should be more of that throughout the year. Then again if the majority of the games are on Versus, only hockey fans are going to watch games anyway!