• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bertuzzi

Glowing Puck

Rate this topic

does anyone know why they got rid of that glowing puck on TV where u can see where its at... i thought that was pretty cool... but then again i dont need to see where the puck is on my 60" Plasmaaaaaa!!! :yowza:

it was amusing when I was 12, but now I know that it was a huge distraction. If you can't see the puck (black object) on the ice (which is frozen over a giant floor painted white) you are blind

I really think I must be the only person in the world who didn't mind the glowpuck. It's absolute crap to say "oh, it's a black object on a white surface, only an idiot would miss that." Bulls**t. That's all well and good when the puck is sliding lazily down the ice after clearing the zone. Sometimes it goes behind the boards and sometimes it's on players' sticks and sometimes it's in the air. Let's face it, hockey is the only sport you have to learn how to watch. When the puck is flying 95 mph through the air off a slapshot, you will not see it until it's either in the net or in the corner somewhere.

I guess I just don't see why the NHL and Fox get all kinds of crap for the glowpuck. Having that comet tail on the end, you could ALWAYS follow a slapshot, which is the hardest thing to see. If you don't know how to watch the players, you will not know what's going on - period. It was an innovative way to help newbies to the sport keep up with the action, and it's not like it RUINED THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE - it was a TV gimmick for crying out loud, it had no bearing whatsoever on the game itself.

Personally, I don't think we ever needed the little blue or white glow, but I kinda miss the comet tail, because then you can keep track of the puck through every inch of the slapshot til it stops moving so fast and bouncing around so you can see it with your eyes again.

Ummm...I respectfually disagree because I thought it made American hockey fans appear to be, in the words of Carlos Mencia, "DEEEHDEEHDEEE."

I would accept it if they made golf balls fluorescent fuschia with little spiked feet that ran faster as the ball was hit harder, and maybe baseballs could be swirling masses of plasma that changed from indigo through magenta as the ball was hit and changed directions. Tennis could have the ball change from purple to peat green and spin in opposite directions as the players returned it from one side to the other.

Then I would drop acid until my brain fell out. :scared:

I have been looking for a commercial from that era. Kinda stupid molson commercial, but it kinda summed up the majority of the populations feelings towards the system. A man with a southern ( i believe) accent is in a meeting with some hockey executives. He explains he they down south they are having problems following the puck, so they want to introduce the glow puck. It then shows some examples, but the sequence ends with him being launched from the board room being trailed by the glowing streak.

I will keep looking for it.

from the wikipedia article:

The visual result was a bluish glow around the puck. Passes were indicated with the bluish glow plus a comet tail indicating its path. When the puck moved faster than 70 miles per hour, there would be a red comet tail following the path of the puck.

Since the process could prove expensive, FOX employees would sometimes go into the stands to retrieve a puck that left the playing area, rather than let the fans keep the puck as they normally would during the course of a game.

lol

I actually didn't think it was so bad. Though I really don't need it to watch hockey, it was still a neat thing. Perhaps sometime in the future it'll be back, but users at home will be able to turn it on or off. That would at least satisfy both parties of the issue. :P

Edited by aflac9262

I actually didn't think it was so bad. Though I really don't need it to watch hockey, it was still a neat thing. Perhaps sometime in the future it'll be back, but users at home will be able to turn it on or off. That would at least satisfy both parties of the issue. :P

That was exactly what I thought was the real problem. If people had the option and were able to turn it on and off, I think it would have been a far greater success. For people ust starting to watch the sport, in non-traditional hockey markets, it might be easier for them to follow the game. Not my thing, but if by choice, there might be some who would go with it.

does anyone know why they got rid of that glowing puck on TV where u can see where its at... i thought that was pretty cool... but then again i dont need to see where the puck is on my 60" Plasmaaaaaa!!! :yowza:

Lets not talk about this again. It was just wrong. :angry:

Hahahahaha... so YOU guys are the reason we had to endure that horrible, horrible idea. I always wondered...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAqfSBEwJgE

Seriously though, it looks ridiculous and I have never found it all that difficult to follow the play. I think people lose the puck a lot less watching in HD as well so I seriously doubt we'll ever see anything like this again.

you know as a kid i remembe wanting one of these "super pucks" as wiki desribed it, but now that im older im asking the 11 year old i was wtf were you thinking wanting one of these.

I didn't mind it, just because I knew its purpose--to draw new fans to the game. With that considered, I was willing to put up with the annoyance for the greater good of the sport.

Although I have to say, I thought the x-ray vision thing when the puck was along the near boards was kind of cool, since the only way to know where it is normally is through deductive reasoning ("there's two guys battling for the puck, therefore it must be down there somewhere").

there is no need for a glowing puck. that was one of the worse ideas. it is only common sense to where the puck is. the camera is usually centered around the puck. if you need the glowing puck, you might not want to go to a real game because it might be to advance for you to follow.

I didn't mind it, just because I knew its purpose--to draw new fans to the game. With that considered, I was willing to put up with the annoyance for the greater good of the sport.

Although I have to say, I thought the x-ray vision thing when the puck was along the near boards was kind of cool, since the only way to know where it is normally is through deductive reasoning ("there's two guys battling for the puck, therefore it must be down there somewhere").

But you know what sucked about that, is when the puck was behind the boards it was replaced by an animated image of a puck that was about 4 sizes to big. :lol: It looked pretty ridiculous.

But you know what sucked about that, is when the puck was behind the boards it was replaced by an animated image of a puck that was about 4 sizes to big. :lol: It looked pretty ridiculous.

Good point...when this stuff was around, I didn't really understand the whole animated image thing, and I was always like "how come the puck's not moving at all--they're hacking away at it!"

Reading Wikipedia on it, it's kind of surprising how short-lived the thing actually was--1996 All-Star game through the end of the 1997-98 season. So basically two seasons plus a couple months. With the amount of discussion/ridicule during it's life and since, it seems like it was around for more like five years.

Does anyone else feel that the point of this thread was to brag about this chump's 60" Plasma?

there should be a sticky threatening a 2 week ban for starting a glow puck thread with the clear intent to brag about ones 60 inches of television

brutus