• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TK19

Storm done in Toledo!

Rate this topic

Ran across this article on toledoblade.com

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...ORTS07/70416001

but the Toledo Storm will no longer be in Toledo after this season. Probably played their last game Saturday night, because they are not playing well in the playoffs at all. so i dont expect to see them back.

however hockey will be back in Toledo in 2009. So 2 seasons without hockey, not sure how imma feel about that. Not sure if it'll drive fans away or what. Im a hockey fan at heart so i know whatever team comes in, ill be a fan of. Its just hard to see the Storm go after all these years.

That's too bad. I don't really follow ECHL hockey, but that sucks that you guys are losing your team. Hopefully in 2009 they come back better than ever. Good luck! :)

Now I pose the question: Who will the Wings ECHL affiliate be now?

That sucks. Im going to miss going down to that shack of a rink and watching the Storm on a random friday/saturday night. I beleive there is still hope theyll be around, with no official word on if there packing it up for 2 seasons. (i didnt read the article, just what i got off the television, so dont flame my ass). Wouldnt mind seeing them do a one last year in teh old barn, or shack as i call it since its so small!!

It sounds like the Storm were done one way or another - they wouldn't shut down operations like that if the team wasn't bleeding money.

And one benefit of this is that the WORST logo in all of professional sports will finally go away.

edit: heh, my 5,000th post.

The Mud Hens are doing away with the Storm name and organization. It is expected that once the new arena is built, the Mud Hens will create a new team that will possibly have the Goaldiggers name back on it. But as of now, there will be no hockey until 2009, assuming there's no hiccups in arena construction.

The Mud Hens are doing away with the Storm name and organization. It is expected that once the new arena is built, the Mud Hens will create a new team that will possibly have the Goaldiggers name back on it. But as of now, there will be no hockey until 2009, assuming there's no hiccups in arena construction.

Yeah i forgot to put this in my initial post. But the Hens will get rid of the Storm name and organization completely. i just hope when they do bring a new organization they dont name the team something corny.

It sounds like the Storm were done one way or another - they wouldn't shut down operations like that if the team wasn't bleeding money.

And one benefit of this is that the WORST logo in all of professional sports will finally go away.

kind of funny and ironic. but the storm actually updated their logo last season for their 15th anniversary, and i believe it was no longer the worst logo in sports. they kept that logo for this season

too bad, I'm gonna miss seeing all the mullets in the stands...haha. But seriously, I think this is a positive for Toledo. The TSA was an absolute hole to play in, and if suspending play for 2 years for the opportunity to play in a brand new arena as a new team is fine with me.

This is bad news right now, but it should work out for the better for both Toledo and the Storm in a couple of years. The Sports Arena is a dump, and if they build a new arena and it is half as nice as Fifth-Third Field where the Mud Hens play, the team will be in good shape.

Another benefit....that stupid thing they do during the national anthem. Im not sure what they say, but its disrespectful anyways.

All they say is hit "somebody." Dont see how that is disrespectful. They say it in between

"O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave(singer pauses) yells hit somebody!

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

I think it's a good thing assuming the Mud Hens do make a new team though.

They are bringing in a new team and building a new arena. They on breaking ground on the new arena later this year.

All they say is hit "somebody." Dont see how that is disrespectful. They say it in between

"O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave(singer pauses) yells hit somebody!

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

It's the national anthem, that's why it's disrespectful. I've got little patience for people who don't have the common courtesy to stand still and quiet for two stinkin' minutes out of their whole day to pay homage to their country.

/rant

It's the national anthem, that's why it's disrespectful. I've got little patience for people who don't have the common courtesy to stand still and quiet for two stinkin' minutes out of their whole day to pay homage to their country.

/rant

ah well. i dont think its bad at all.

ah well. i dont think its bad at all.

I'm not Mr. Patriotic by any means, but I believe the national anthem is something we should hold sacred. Yelling things, no matter what it is, during the star spangled banner is disrespectful...plain and simple. If those inbreds want to yell 'hit somebody" during the national anthem, then go ahead and prove to everyone why the Storm fans have the reputation that they do.

Edited by yzerman&thewings=CUP

I'm not Mr. Patriotic by any means, but I believe the national anthem is something we should hold sacred. Yelling things, no matter what it is, during the star spangled banner is disrespectful...plain and simple. If those inbreds want to yell 'hit somebody" during the national anthem, then go ahead and prove to everyone why the Storm fans have the reputation that they do.

Im not gonna turn this into any political debate or patriotic debate, but i take offense to you call us inbreds. Cause im from Toledo, lived here my whole life. I hold it sacred, i dont even yell hit somebody(cause i rarely go cause i cant cause my work schedule doesnt really allow me too). but i still dont think its bad, because the singer pauses. its not like they are yelling it while they are in the middle of the words. but whatever to each his own i guess.

Im not gonna turn this into any political debate or patriotic debate, but i take offense to you call us inbreds. Cause im from Toledo, lived here my whole life. I hold it sacred, i dont even yell hit somebody(cause i rarely go cause i cant cause my work schedule doesnt really allow me too). but i still dont think its bad, because the singer pauses. its not like they are yelling it while they are in the middle of the words. but whatever to each his own i guess.

i too take offense to being called an "inbred", I live in maumee and attend as many Storm games as possible. And as far as "hit somebody", its pretty much a given, as stated before, whoever sings knows and pauses for it. Its an ECHL game, no biggie IMO.

Edited by wingsin4

Before I moved from Toledo to NJ a few years ago there were rumblings about this happening. The Sports Arena is a dump and should have been knocked down years ago. I can't imagine being a professional teamm and having to play in that hole. The ice surface was tiny and the locker rooms were a disgrace. They have like one shower head that barely works and only supplies cold water. The floors are freaking tile and you could barely fit a pee-wee team in those rooms, let alone a full team of grown men. It's about time they got rid of it and begin working on an real arena.

Oh well, I just hope this turns out to be a temporary situation like they are saying and Toledo will get another minor league team in the future.

I liked the team, but the TSA is long overdue for replacement. It would be sweet if they did something like bring back the Goaldigger name with the Storm colors...

Also, the generalized inbred comment was uncalled for, but the crowds at TSA bring it on thmeselves by acting like a bunch of trolls in the first place. Yeah, I know it's a hockey game after all, but the main reason I won't go to more Storm games is because of the behavior of people in the stands & and the whole anthem business is just silly IMHO. They did it once when Karen Newman was guest singer, and I think it scared the hell out of her (she didn't pause).

Edited by Bender

I used to go to a lot of Storm games and I have had a lot of fun there,especially during the championship years,but the last time I went,somebody crapped in the sink.I mentioned this before and some people pointed out that you don't use the bathrooms at TSA,but when you have a few drinks at dinner and a few at the game,some things can't be avoided.Anyway,that was too damn nasty.No way in hell I'm bringing my kids down there.At the same game,there were two old guys,in their 60's at least,fighting in the stands.That sort of thing really sucks because I can actually afford to take my kids to a Storm game,unlike the Wings,but there's no way I'm taking them down there.Fifth Third Field is a great place to go.If they can do that sort of thing with the Storm,then I'm all for it.

Gonna miss the Storm and the TSA even though the building sucked, it was a great place to watch hockey there. From what I heard there was a local company that was negotiating the purchase of the Storm and they were going to build a prefab 4000 seat arena in Perrysburg. Obviously that didn't happen which was probably the only way the Storm could have stayed in existence. I guess I'm wondering if the Wings will still have an affiliate in the ECHL next year?

Also, the generalized inbred comment was uncalled for, but the crowds at TSA bring it on thmeselves by acting like a bunch of trolls in the first place. Yeah, I know it's a hockey game after all, but the main reason I won't go to more Storm games is because of the behavior of people in the stands & and the whole anthem business is just silly IMHO. They did it once when Karen Newman was guest singer, and I think it scared the hell out of her (she didn't pause).

Yeah but its not all the fans, just a select dumbasses that decide to get too drunk and act like an ass. I went to 1 game this year, it was awfully officiated and after the game was over some idiot through a chair on the ice and took off running. lucky for him the cops didnt see him.

as for the anthem, they usually just use local singers now([probably cause of the newman incident). karen obviously had no idea to pause lol. oh well i think its just all in good fun.

I used to go to a lot of Storm games and I have had a lot of fun there,especially during the championship years,but the last time I went,somebody crapped in the sink.

i remember you telling me that in the other Storm thread we had going. it sucks that one person can ruin the whole experience for you. but yeah i dont go to the bathroom when i go there, i did last time only cause i couldnt hold it anymore and me and my friends cut in line so we didnt have to stay in that bathroom long lol. this new arena is supposed to be amazing, costing i think roughly $85 million.

Gonna miss the Storm and the TSA even though the building sucked, it was a great place to watch hockey there. From what I heard there was a local company that was negotiating the purchase of the Storm and they were going to build a prefab 4000 seat arena in Perrysburg. Obviously that didn't happen which was probably the only way the Storm could have stayed in existence. I guess I'm wondering if the Wings will still have an affiliate in the ECHL next year?

i bet they pick up an affiliate just for a year or 2, until the new Toledo team comes back. there are a few teams in the echl that arent affiliated yet with any NHL club, and ofcourse they could always share a team as an affiliate.