• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Should Sergei Fedorov's number be retired in the future?

Rate this topic

Should Sergei Federov's number be retired in the future?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IPB Image

As a RED WING, Sergei Fedorov has more goals and assist then Ted Lindsey and Sid Abel.

He helped the wings to 3 STANLY CUPS.

The only Red wings (Howe, Yzerman, Delvecchio) who have more goals then him have had their numbers retired.

So what do you guys think?

No he shouldn't. For one, Fedorov left on his own terms. I would understand if the Wings got rid of him, ala McCarty, but he left on his own, for no real good reason. Secondly he was a very moody player when he played here. I know he was a great player here and all, but I really don't feel his number should be retired. Just my thoughts.

No he shouldn't. For one, Fedorov left on his own terms. I would understand if the Wings got rid of him, ala McCarty, but he left on his own, for no real good reason. Secondly he was a very moody player when he played here. I know he was a great player here and all, but I really don't feel his number should be retired. Just my thoughts.

I dont think these are good reason for not retiring his number. Moody? Is retiring ones number based on the players performance solely or his personality in addition? If so, then why is one of the most racist person in the world (Ty Cobb) has is number retired in comerica park? And on your first point; so what if he left on his own? .Your going to degrade his everything he had given to the organization for 13 years just like that? I dont their their are that many Red Wings who produced so much in a 13 year span. Outside of the retired numbers, give me any other player's name.

Fedorov's number will not be retired.

Had he stayed and performed exactly as he did after he left, his banner would already be prepared and folded neatly in the basement at the Joe.

After Lidstrom, the next most likely candidate is not Fedorov or Shanahan, but Chris Osgood.

Fedorov's number will not be retired.

Had he stayed and performed exactly as he did after he left, his banner would already be prepared and folded neatly in the basement at the Joe.

After Lidstrom, the next most likely candidate is not Fedorov or Shanahan, but Chris Osgood.

Luckily, that will also never happen. Neither one is even close. Now Lidstrom, there's a worthy candidate.

Is that a joke?!?!

I just can't believe how red wings org and the fans have deminized Federov for simply wanted to leave. Last time I checked Lions fans still have Sanders in the heart! Its as if the fans are nullying everything Federov has accomphished for doing something illegal.

I actually will agree with you on this one. :crazy:

People forget that when they look at goalie stats for wings, the top two goalies are Sawchuk and Osgood. No way am I saying that Ozzie is worthy to be compared to Sawchuk but Osgood has been very good for the Red Wings for a very long time.

I actually will agree with you on this one. :crazy:

People forget that when they look at goalie stats for wings, the top two goalies are Sawchuk and Osgood. No way am I saying that Ozzie is worthy to be compared to Sawchuk but Osgood has been very good for the Red Wings for a very long time.

That's the thing though. Good doesn't get your number retired. Only extraordinary will do that.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The only number worthy of being retired in the near future is Lidstrom's.

First off, the more numbers you stick up in the rafter's, the cheaper the honor becomes. It really should be for players who have been extraordinary throughout their career, and that said career was spent entirely in Detroit.

If they retire Feds jersey, then they need to retire Shanny's, since he was just as important to the 3 most recent Cups...

If they retire Shanny's, then they should retire McCarty's, since he was such a fan favorite, and he won the same 3 Cups that Shanny & Feds did...

If they retire McCarty's, they should retire Draper's...

And Osgood's...

And Maltby's...

And Larionov's...

And Homer's...

Once you start, where do you stop? Eventually the Wings would run out of numbers to use.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The only number worthy of being retired in the near future is Lidstrom's.

First off, the more numbers you stick up in the rafter's, the cheaper the honor becomes. It really should be for players who have been extraordinary throughout their career, and that said career was spent entirely in Detroit.

If they retire Feds jersey, then they need to retire Shanny's, since he was just as important to the 3 most recent Cups...

If they retire Shanny's, then they should retire McCarty's, since he was such a fan favorite, and he won the same 3 Cups that Shanny & Feds did...

If they retire McCarty's, they should retire Draper's...

And Osgood's...

And Maltby's...

And Larionov's...

And Homer's...

Once you start, where do you stop? Eventually the Wings would run out of numbers to use.

If that were to happen, it'd almost turn into a Montreal Canadians situation, where they already have like 12 numbers retired. And their probably not done yet either.

If Fedorov would have played his whole career here, it would have been retired. But he left, and that nullifies the whole thing. I don't want them to retire it personally. Like Jedi said, if they retire Fedorovs, they will need to retire Shanahans, McCartys, Osgoods, and so and so fourth. The Wings really don't need all those numbers retired. They'll look stupid, kind of like Colorado for retiring Ray Bourques number when he only spent one and a half seaons with them.

Fedorov deserves to have his number retired here for innumerable reasons, but I doubt it will ever happen.

He is second all time in Red Wing playoffs points, 4th in all time scoring, with 3 Cups, a Hart Trophy, 2 Selkes, and on and on and on. He's one of the best Red Wings ever, not just on the team when we won the Cup.

Do I think it will happen? no.

Next in terms of what they've done for the organization should be Osgood.

Next in terms of what they've done for the league, and taking that into consideration would be Shanahan.

But I don't think either are that close.

Edited by Offsides

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Fedorov in the same class as Yzerman, Linsday, Howe etc. Fedorov could score, but now is washed up. Yzerman was never washed up. Howe was never washed up. Lindsay was never washed up. Fedorov's number will not be retired.

Nor should Osgood's for that matter, honestly, I don't think he's worthy.

No way. Lidstrom is the only one I see getting his number retired.

There's no arguing Federov's role in our Stanley Cup runs, but he was to much of a pre-madonna and didn't show up to play every shift.

My biggest gripe was his lack of grit. If he got checked hard he would just lay on the ice while the play would continue. Then surprise, he'd be out there for his next shift. Damn that drove me crazy!

Without a doubt his number should be retired at some point in time. He was important as any Wings player in the three cup winning years that he was part of, and without him there's no cup in 97 98 or 02(number 2 all time playoff scoring for the Wings aint too shabby). Sure during the regular season he took some shifts off, as every player to ever play in the NHL has; even the almighty Steve Yzerman. During the playoffs he brought it.

However, it will not happen likely. He was never really appreciated while he was here and I dont see that changing.

As for Osgood or McCarty...rofl no average goalies and grinders should never have their number retired.

Guest bullocks

If Fedorov didn't leave, then yes...or if he left on other terms, then yes...but considering how he went out...no....but the numbers he put up...probably lol but it wont happen.

As for Osgood or McCarty...rofl no average goalies and grinders should never have their number retired.

McCarty being brought up in these discussions always makes me cringe.

But a point about Osgood....

He has 336 wins, 252 of which were in a Wings jersey.

252 would have been good enough for top ten all-time in 1993. As it stands Osgood is 17th All-Time in Wins, is approaching the top 20 in shutouts.

Osgood stands an excellent chance of making it to 400 wins and top ten all-time, something Dominik Hasek appears unlikely to accomplish.

Osgood likely won't end up with his number in the rafters. But he stands a very good chance of being enshrined in the Hall of Fame, and has always been well above average.

i dont know wings puck all that well but from an outside prespective i dont see any wings jerseys going in the rafters anytime soon. I think Lindstrom will be the next one up and that wont happen for another 10 years the way that guys playing