• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringHomeTheCup!

What a hit by Cleary

Rate this topic

Was at the game tonight....awesome game..

Cleary hit on Dion, clearly a charging elbow to the head... happened right in front of where I was setting.But it didn;t Keep DIon on out for long

The great hit was Primeau on Bertuzzi :clap: Bertuzzi...who...what a player he turned out to be.

Took a simple little check from Zyuzin, and left with sore ribs... :P Yep, big bad bert who,

Of course it would look clean, because it wasn;t a wing who got hit.

And Finally a call on the WIngs for goaltender interfernece, after runnin Kipper Numerous Teams

HAH. Flames not so easy to beat at home are they

Series is far from over

if Cleary's elbow was a cheapshot you obviously missed Phaneuf's blatant elbow to Datsyuk's head in game 2, he should have been tossed for that one

Cleary hit on Dion, clearly a charging elbow to the head... happened right in front of where I was setting.But it didn;t Keep DIon on out for long

The great hit was Primeau on Bertuzzi :clap: Bertuzzi...who...what a player he turned out to be.

Took a simple little check from Zyuzin, and left with sore ribs... :P Yep, big bad bert who,

And Finally a call on the WIngs for goaltender interfernece, after runnin Kipper Numerous Teams

Series is far from over

Clearly a charging elbow to the head? GTFO.

Also, is English your second language?

Edited by Mors

Yeah that was an awesome hit on Dion--seeing him staggering around after the goal was the second best moment of the series for me aside from Pavel scoring! I love how Flames fans say the hit on Datsyuk from Phanuef was ok but when Dion gets rocked it's not.

It was Clearly... Cleary!

Series is far from over

Don't you just love when trolls come in here with there homer blinders on after there team gets a win. Makes me laugh all the time. Yeah Phaneauf got rocked and got rocked hard. It was clean. Live with it. If Phaneauf can dish it out, then he can take it aswell.

Edited by Hatchet Barry

Funny that Phaneuf is a big boy and can elbow Datsyuk in the head in game 2 and it's a good hockey hit, and now Cleary rocks him with a good hard hit and Flames fans are crying that it was a cheap shot. Doesn't surprise me in the least really. Flames fans like that just make me hate the team and everything about them even more, and as for "running" Kiprusoff, try paying better attention without your blinders on. He should get a medal for the dive he had that led to the supposed goalie interference on Calder, I hope the Wings do actually run him to see how he likes it. At least then he would have a reason to be laying on the ice.

When I saw, my only worry was that Cleary did seem to leave his feet a little bit, I wasnt sure if it was after he made contact, or if he jumped at him...

Cleary hit on Dion, clearly a charging elbow to the head... happened right in front of where I was setting.

Was it an elbow to the head? no way... It also happend right in front of a referee, who were calling Detroit for anything that looked close to be an infraction. The CBC announcers didnt find it to be Dirty...

It was unfortunate that he lost his balance right before Cleary hit him, but it happend at the very last second, i dont think Cleary could have stopped...

The great hit was Primeau on Bertuzzi clap.gif Bertuzzi...who...what a player he turned out to be.

Was the "great hit of the game" Primeau on Bertuzi? No Way, not even close, I can think of several better hits by both Calgary and Detroit. So you call it the check of the game cause Bertuzi walked away looking hurt? If that is what you judge the check of the game by then, you

Series is far from over

The video clearly shows it was a clean hit. That simple little check didn't keep Bertuzzi out, now did it? Anyone who knows anything about hockey would agree that was a BS goaltender interference call. And before you post again, you should go back to the thrid grade and learn how to complile a string of thoughts into a paragraph.

I've already decided to ignore the idiot who is spewing his crap all over about Cleary again being a cheap shot player. Just not worth getting into trouble over, or riled up over for that matter.

The video clearly shows it was a clean hit. That simple little check didn't keep Bertuzzi out, now did it? Anyone who knows anything about hockey would agree that was a BS goaltender interference call. And before you post again, you should go back to the thrid grade and learn how to complile a string of thoughts into a paragraph.

I don't know.... is there a video somewhere on the net that i can closely examine because from the couple of replays that they showed last night it sure looked like Danny got that elbow up. Just trying to keep the homer glasses off and look at things with a fair open mind.

I don't know.... is there a video somewhere on the net that i can closely examine because from the couple of replays that they showed last night it sure looked like Danny got that elbow up. Just trying to keep the homer glasses off and look at things with a fair open mind.

I haven't see any video available online that shows a great veiw like FSD did during the game. I have it tivo'd, I must have replayed that hit 20 times! FSD showed a shot that shows it was a clean hit, Phaneuf just lost his balance right before Danny hit him.

If anyone has a link to a youtube video or other showing the hit it would be much appreciated. I like to relive the great moments. :)

Now for anyone who says it was not an elbow to the head you are crazy. It was a well hidden elbow (maybe even a forearm) but Cleary took a head shot to Dion and he did it on purpose.

Dion elbowed Datsyuk in the head hard last game. It was dirty, ugly and brutal. Clearly was just providing some payback. He did so in a much worse way also. Dion had to go back to the dressing room to sniff the smelling salts. I know it was a head shot and I do not care. Dion got what was coming to him for the dirty elbow. Good on Cleary and good on the refs for allowing it (makes up for not calling the elbow on Dats)

I laughed so damn hard when Dion was almost falling down after the goal. He was not even with it at all. I hate seeing players get hurt (on any team) but I love seeing the payback.

I haven't see any video available online that shows a great veiw like FSD did during the game. I have it tivo'd, I must have replayed that hit 20 times! FSD showed a shot that shows it was a clean hit, Phaneuf just lost his balance right before Danny hit him.

I was watching on versus (cbc feed) and i guess they didn't show that shot you're talking about, would love to see it though.

Series is far from over

The Flames played alot better at home tonight, but if this is the best they have - the wings have them in 5. They barely squeeked out a win on home ice. Dom was not as sharp as he could have been, the Wings seemed to sit back a bit, and I NEVER blame a loss on the refs, but they certainly helped out the Flames tonight on a couple of VERY weak interference calls. I don't care who you are, if you know anything about hockey, Calder's Goaltenter Interference call was PATHETIC.

Positives out of the game:

Wings looked to be at about 70%

Flames had the game of their ******* lives.

We have one more home game then they do, and all of this talk about the flames being the best Home team in the NHL is a little jaded, seeing as the wings had 1 fewer home win then the flames, AND the wings can actually WIN ON THE ROAD, something the Flames cant seem to accomplish.

"HAH. Flames not so easy to beat at home are they"

You sound like a child.

YEAH.... WELL, YOU CANT BEAT THE WINGS AT HOME EITHER :P !!! NANA

At least the wings have a CHANCE at pulling off the split in Calgary tomorrow.

P.S. I wonder how Dion is feeling this morning, the guy looked terrible getting up after that hit. He didnt even know were he was.

Cleary, that was a DOUBLE DION! in the words of Pierre McGuire.

Edited by Yzerfan1999

Now for anyone who says it was not an elbow to the head you are crazy. It was a well hidden elbow (maybe even a forearm) but Cleary took a head shot to Dion and he did it on purpose.

Dion elbowed Datsyuk in the head hard last game. It was dirty, ugly and brutal. Clearly was just providing some payback. He did so in a much worse way also. Dion had to go back to the dressing room to sniff the smelling salts. I know it was a head shot and I do not care. Dion got what was coming to him for the dirty elbow. Good on Cleary and good on the refs for allowing it (makes up for not calling the elbow on Dats)

I'm going to have to ask you to put the pipe down, son.

I think perhaps some people are a bit confused about what constitutes an elbow. The elbow needs to be raised from the body, if it's tucked in and you hit a guy while he's crouched (like the Cleary hit) it is not an elbow, even if the elbow is technically where the point of contact is.

On both hits, Phaneuf and Cleary leave the ice slightly as the impact happens and the arms come out. This happens all the time and for some reason the flying arms after a hit make people think it's dirty.

Both hits were completely clean.

I don't have a good angle of the Cleary hit but from where I was sitting it was pretty obvious he just caught Dion with his head down.

IPB Image

Much better angle of the hit on Datsyuk. I really can't understand how so many people are convinced that this is an elbow:

IPB Image

That said, both hits probably demand retribution. Dion was clearly trying to crush Datsyuk with that hit and he got what was coming in game 3. Phaneuf is one of the Flames most important players and Cleary should keep his head up game 4 ;)

The Flames played alot better at home tonight, but if this is the best they have - the wings have them in 5. They barely squeeked out a win on home ice. Dom was not as sharp as he could have been, the Wings seemed to sit back a bit, and I NEVER blame a loss on the refs, but they certainly helped out the Flames tonight on a couple of VERY weak interference calls. I don't care who you are, if you know anything about hockey, Calder's Goaltenter Interference call was PATHETIC.

We have one more home game then they do, and all of this talk about the flames being the best Home team in the NHL is a little jaded, seeing as the wings had 1 fewer home win then the flames, AND the wings can actually WIN ON THE ROAD, something the Flames cant seem to accomplish.

"HAH. Flames not so easy to beat at home are they"

You sound like a child.

YEAH.... WELL, YOU CANT BEAT THE WINGS AT HOME EITHER :P !!! NANA

At least the wings have a CHANCE at pulling off the split in Calgary tomorrow.

P.S. I wonder how Dion is feeling this morning, the guy looked terrible getting up after that hit. He didnt even know were he was.

Cleary, that was a DOUBLE DION! in the words of Pierre McGuire.

KUDOS :clap:

Here is a replay from CBC on NHL.com.

Cleary hits Phaneuf

Really hard to tell if it was an elbow, or forearm, but it is not hard to tell that Cleary jumped into the hit, which makes it an unclean hit according to the NHL rule book.

Anyways I'm just glad Dion came back after that, he didn't look quite right for the remainder of the game, but I honestly thought we had lost him due to a concussion.

IMO Cleary has been the Red Wings best player games 1 through 3, did he play this well in the regular season, or is this another gear for the playoffs?

Here is a replay from CBC on NHL.com.

Cleary hits Phaneuf

Really hard to tell if it was an elbow, or forearm, but it is not hard to tell that Cleary jumped into the hit, which makes it an unclean hit according to the NHL rule book.

Anyways I'm just glad Dion came back after that, he didn't look quite right for the remainder of the game, but I honestly thought we had lost him due to a concussion.

IMO Cleary has been the Red Wings best player games 1 through 3, did he play this well in the regular season, or is this another gear for the playoffs?

If you look at the hit, Cleary didn't leave his feet before the hit, but during the hit, there is nothing wrong with that. The rule states that a player may not leave his feet in order to deliver a hit. There is no elbow, just as there was no elbow from Phaneuf on Pavs. Look at the post by MickMceough, check out the stills, pictures don't lie my friend. The only reason any part of Cleary's elbow MAY have come in contact with Phaneuf, would be due to the way Phaneuf was falling. If a player would recieve a penalty for a situation like this, every hit Chara delievers would be an elbow simply because he is so much taller than everyone else. It was a clean hit, get over it. You Calgary fans just can't get over the fact that your boy Phaneuf got his world rocked.

Cleary had an up and down regualr season. There was a stretch of about 13-17 games where he was the best player on the team. I don't know what the problem is with the rest of the boys, but if they would have brought half the intensity that Cleary brought, the Wings would be up 3-0 right now.

Edited by BringHomeTheCup!

If you look at the hit, Cleary didn't leave his feet before the hit, but during the hit, there is nothing wrong with that. The rule states that a player may not leave his feet in order to deliver a hit. There is no elbow, just as there was no elbow from Phaneuf on Pavs. Look at the post by MickMceough, check out the stills, pictures don't lie my friend. The only reason any part of Cleary's elbow MAY have come in contact with Phaneuf, would be due to the way Phaneuf was falling. If a player would recieve a penalty for a situation like this, every hit Chara delievers would be an elbow simply because he is so much taller than everyone else. It was a clean hit, get over it. You Calgary fans just can't get over the fact that your boy Phaneuf got his world rocked.

Cleary had an up and down regualr season. There was a stretch of about 13-17 games where he was the best player on the team. I don't know what the problem is with the rest of the boys, but if they would have brought half the intensity that Cleary brought, the Wings would be up 3-0 right now.

I gave you the link to look at the hit, how can you say he doesn't jump into Phaneuf?

Also check out how many strides he takes across the ice targeting Dion.

Could of easily been called a charging call.

Rule 47 Charging;

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "Charge" may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed, and an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100).

About the Phaneuf hit on Datsyuk...I wonder which channel the people who think it was dirty / clean were watching. I certainly thought it was clean initially, but CBC had another angle that showed what appeared to be an elbow (and the CBC announcers thought so too, and said Dion was *very* lucky he didn't get called on it).

I dunno... looking at that picture it doesn't look like an elbow. Maybe the other angle was just misleading, because a couple angles they showed certainly looked clean. I've only seen replays of the angles where it looks clean, so I'm starting to think it was.

I also noticed that they didn't credit Cleary with a single hit on NHL.com and the Phaneuf hit wasnt in the Game 2 highlights. I wonder if they thought the legality of both hits were questionable?

I was at the game (woohoo!) so haven't seen a tonne of replays, but everyone I've talked to called it a fair hit. A great hit even.

At worst it was a bit fo a run and could have been a charge. But I think thats just playoffs.

Agreed on the Calder penalty. The refs always make bulls*** calls under the new rules, so that's just a random factor that both teams have to live with. Went Detroit's way in games one and two, and went Calgary's way last night.

The Flames were only about 70% last night as well. Iginla was so-so for the first 55 mins, and the Flames still had a lot of mistakes and really sucked in the 2nd period. If Det was playing well we would have been buried right there.

I think Det will come out hard tomorrow. It remains to be seen if Calgary can step up. They're capable, but have struggled to deliver all year.

About the Phaneuf hit on Datsyuk...I wonder which channel the people who think it was dirty / clean were watching. I certainly thought it was clean initially, but CBC had another angle that showed what appeared to be an elbow (and the CBC announcers thought so too, and said Dion was *very* lucky he didn't get called on it).

I dunno... looking at that picture it doesn't look like an elbow. Maybe the other angle was just misleading, because a couple angles they showed certainly looked clean. I've only seen replays of the angles where it looks clean, so I'm starting to think it was.

I also noticed that they didn't credit Cleary with a single hit on NHL.com and the Phaneuf hit wasnt in the Game 2 highlights. I wonder if they thought the legality of both hits were questionable?

From the wrong angle a lot of hits could look dirty. Datsyuk is positioned lower than Phaneuf and the point of contact is close to the elbow. The key is that he's got the elbow tucked when contact happens, so its clean.

Yeah the CBC guys are pretty simple. It's infuriating to watch sometimes with how many plays they completely mis-call. Plus Calgary's games are called by the worst of them because Ottawa and Vancouver are taking precedence this season.

Cleary hit on Dion, clearly a charging elbow to the head... happened right in front of where I was setting.

You're a homer, so your opinion carries little weight. How about the elbow Dion layed into Pavel ealier this series? Was THAT intent to injure?

And let me see if I got this: Lidstrom had a very rare bad game, the team itself didn't play well, our defense was too loose, Dom lets in a goal you can say was either a goal scorer's goal or a stinker, we lose by just a goal, and now you're talking smack? After ONE GAME? :unsure::blink:

Hilarious.