• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Post-Game 3: Flames 3, Red Wings 2 (4/17)

Rate this topic

Somebody needs to start a thread with the link to provide feedback about officials to the NHL. I thought it was just me, but it appears to be unanimous contempt for the way the game was called.

I would totally complain about the game, but I thought that the Flames got some crap calls earlier in the series...I think it just goes back and forth...not saying the reffing was good, but always blaming games on that seems whiney to me.

I think most of you are overreacting on the officiating. Look at the score sheet. The penalties were 4 (Flames) to 6 (Red Wings). 4/6 is pretty balanced, it just seems overbearing because they happened at opposite parts of the game where the Wings had a long succession of PKs from the middle to end of the game.

As for the game, the Wings are damn good and their passing and playmaking are better than the Flames anyday. The Flames won because of one or two Red Wing mistakes.

I would totally complain about the game, but I thought that the Flames got some crap calls earlier in the series...I think it just goes back and forth...not saying the reffing was good, but always blaming games on that seems whiney to me.

I agree, but that's not the point. I don't think the Wings are being persecuted by officials... I just think the quality of officiating has been very bad so far, reaching its lowest in this game. For NHL PLayoff hockey it was just unacceptable. I'd just like my mood to be determined by players and coaches, instead of referees!

Edited by FromItaly

Similar to all previous play-offs I watched. Wings have to be MUCH better to win a game overcoming officiating, cheap shots, etc.

Agree :thumbup: .... If the Wings get called for a cheap penalty, their special teams needs to kill it. And if we don't get that many power plays, the wings need to capitalize on the ones they get. I'll admit, the reffing was suspect, but the wins still could have won it, but they simply weren't quite good enough.

To be honest I'm tired of all that hidden stuff. Starting from that loss to Calgary in 04 (completely decided by NHL preferences) I prefer Wings to dominate in the regular season rather than in the play-offs. In this case I'm getting 8 months of excellent mood and 1 month of .... you know what,,, Let Betman decide who is going to win Tampa? Atlanta? This year I feel this would be Rangers. why not?

i was very excited about getting to come home and watch the game on the tivo but was disappointed by soem bad calls by the ref some blown chances by the wings.

I was pissed at the no call right before the iggy goal was it just me or was zetts held didnt catch the flamer who did it tho

The complaining about the officiating is sort of nauseating, guys. Maybe they missed a couple calls, but it certainly wasn't anything worth getting this worked up over. I thought they did a fine job, actually. Stop making excuses.

It's strange to see Nick Lidstrom be the catalyst for two opposing goals, but that's exactly we had tonight. Besides the two mistakes, though, I thought he played a great game and I also thought Markov made his presence known.

Draper and Cleary were obviously the two stars of the game for the Wings, but the story is really more about the guys that weren't. Bertuzzi looked lost at times, and in hindsight, bringing him back for the game tonight doesn't seem like such a wise decision. It certainly didn't add anything to the line-up. I don't like him on a line with Franzen and Filppula. The Calder-Lang-Bertuzzi line was clicking up until Bertuzzi got knocked out, so I see no reason not to go back to it. Keep Cleary with Draper and Maltby, and make the fourth line Filppula-Hudler-Franzen and I think you have four extremely solid lines to roll.

The goal was to steal one of the games in Calgary, so this magnifies Game 4. No use getting panicked or worried over this one. Thursday night should be fun.

Guest tangstoiggy

Cleary and Draper might have been the only two Red Wings that played without a doubt well. Cleary has been showing us that even without scoring he is going to get involved. I loved seeing that from Cleary.

1) Our powerplay is horrible. We had a 4 min powerplay and we had maybe 1 or 2 shots. That also happened again when we had a power play in the 3rd.

2) Stay out of the box. It's the only thing that is letting Calgary survive in this series. Let them score 5 v 5 because they haven't proved they can yet.

3)Take the fans out of the game.

Lets Go Wings!

1. You had no shots on that pP

2. Your not going to take the fans out , as we got behind our team totally, when they were down..It was electric in that place tonight

3. Flames had 2 pp goals and 1 5 on 5

4. most of the wings goals at the Joe,came from iffy penalties called on the flames.

5. Flames Special teams were awesome tonight.....

6 Get used to it, thats How the Flames play at home, that is why they have the most wins at home..

Imagine Blaming the reffing for the Wings loss

there only 10 penalties in the whole game

6 PP for the Flames....should of been one for the Elbow on Paneuf

4PP for the Wings....DISCIPLINE> the wings had a 4 minutes pp and didn't register one shot :rolleyes:

Edited by tangstoiggy

I haven't posted since before the series. After the complete garbage we played like in the first two, I wanted to wait until (and if) we could turn this into a series.

I hear a lot of you talking about officiating. I was at the game, and didn't see it that way but, then, homer glasses were probably on. I can assure you, however, that many Flames fans felt EXACTLY the same way after being handed 10 minutes of penalties in the first 9 minutes of game 2. Isn't it sad the poor NHL officiating has to just be swallowed by NHL fans? At least the NBA suspends a ref who is obviously a clown and incompetent. It's frustrating that there is absolutely no accountability for NHL refs.

I thought this game could have gone either way. I liked that the officials, for the most part, just let 'em play. I didn't see the hold on Hank some of you were mentioning, but I'd call it a missed call trade off for the elbow Cleary threw at Phaneuf. I know you have a thread dedicated to the hit and I haven't read it yet but I've watched piles of replay and Cleary sure looks like he led with the forearm / elbow.

Anyways.....welcome to our 2007 playoff series. Sorry we were late.

Somebody needs to start a thread with the link to provide feedback about officials to the NHL. I thought it was just me, but it appears to be unanimous contempt for the way the game was called.

I'm glad someone said something about it. I dont' want to come off whining about the refereeing and blaming that on why we lost...because our PP killing sucks lately. But come on. Are you telling me that Calgary played a perfectly clean game from like 6 minutes remaining in the first until half way through the 3rd? They were calling it like the old style hockey games in my opinion...but then on occasion would pull the whistle out and they all went against the Wings. I'd be saying the same had this happened to Calgary. I don't think they did their job...the refs that is.

I didn't even realize Datsyuk was playing for most of the game. Either he was not on his game, or Calgary did a great job of shadowing him. Same goes for alot of the team though.

I'm very very concerned for Game 4 now. I knew this was going to happen...too good to be true to go up 3-0.

Edited by Firehawk

2. Your not going to take the fans out , as we got behind our team totally, when they were down..It was electric in that place tonight

4. most of the wings goals at the Joe,came from iffy penalties called on the flames.

6 Get used to it, thats How the Flames play at home, that is why they have the most wins at home..

4PP for the Wings....DISCIPLINE> the wings had a 4 minutes pp and didn't register one shot :rolleyes:

1. Yeah we had no shots on the PP, which means our PP wasn't firing well.

2. The fans WERE out of it for alot of the 2nd period...at least that's what it sounded like to me.

3. That's the flame's first even strength goal of the series...1 in 3 games...

4. Lots of iffy penalties NOT called on Calgary, not because of discipline, but more of the fact that the refs let them go...not sure if it woulda mattered anyways seeing as our special teams sucked.

5. Yes they were good

6. We know they play well...but they didn't outplay detroit too much even at their best.

I do'nt blame the refs for the loss, but it was pretty 1-sided, even though the number of chances were FAIRLY close. They let alot of things go that Calgary was called for in games 1 and 2...like Stuart cross checking the hell out of Holmstrom in front of the net when the puck was on the boards somewhere.

I think calgary was more disciplined tonight, but I think Detroit was just off all night...either that or Calgary's play did that great of a job at keeping everyone off their game. I mean, Datsyuk looked onexistant out there.

Something's gonna have to change up in my opinion.

...still though, I am pissed off about that missed call of holding/interfering with Zetterberg on the Flames' go-ahead goal.

Man was I ever upset on that play. If Z isn't being held onto, he'd have gotten to that puck and Iginla would've never scored.

I don't know why, but in the post-season, the Wings simply cannot win close, evenly-matched games like these. The only way Detroit wins is if they dominate the game from start to finish like we did in Games 1 and 2.

Cleary and Drapes were the only ones that impressed me tonight. Hank needs to freaking get back on track. You can tell he wants a goal bad, but its just not happening. The hold on him though pissed me off. The hit on Phaneuf was amazing. The interference call on Markov was a joke. Babs needs to sit Sammy and put Huds in for game 4 and if he doesn't theres going to be a s*** load of fans mad at him. As for Bert, I'm not so sure I felt his presence out there. All I know is that we NEED to take game 4. Thank god though its an earlier game cuz i can't deal with this ending at 12:45 crap lol.

Go wings<3

The Flames had indeed come out with a much better effort yesterday.

However I believe that there were legitimate questions about officiating. It was not a reason the Wings lost, but it did help the Flames to play their game. In the previous two games of the series, a lot of the stuff the Flames did would have been called.

The 2 calls on Markov and the call on Calder were bad calls.

So far, DET scored 7 ESGs and 2 PPGs, to CAL 1 ESG and 4 PPGs in the series. The Flames don't compare well with DET in even strength, and Detroit's PP is emphatically NOT the reason they won 2 games.

If the officiating like yesterday is a norm when Calgary plays at home, then it may explain the mistery of why the Flames won so much at home, and couldn't buy a win on the road. :P

Edited by sibiriak

calgary gets the calls at home, no question. the stat they showed is simply outrageous.

but if you would have polled wing fans and told them before the series started they could take a 2-1 lead after three games guaranteed or play the games...100 percent of the those polled would have gladly taken the 2-1 lead.

the calls the flames get at home are moot. the wings own home advantage. the flames can do whatever the hell they want at home and it won't matter in the end. at worst the series goes to 7 games and the wings still win. and that's the worst case scenario.

if the wings win game 4, the series in over in 5. if the flames win the next game, it'll go the full 7. but the outcome is same either way.

Bertuzzi was interfered with and held in the Calgary zone when they took it up ice and scored (I want to say on the 2nd goal....) It's just bulls*** that their opportunities were provided soley by the refs calls or non-calls. So there were two calls that were never called (on Zetterberg and Bertuzzi) that provided the Flames with opportunities.

1010 thats the point.

Champions win in the face of adverstiy. Not crumble in the face of opportunity.

That is why this team has so much to prove.

you can make a lot of money in vegas betting on the home team in vegas that has just come off two opening road losses. a lot of money. that game last night heavily favored calgary before the puck was even dropped. that they still almost lost the game is a good sign for the wings.

relax.

All i saw during last nights game from the red wings players was pucks bouncing off their sticks, bad passes, no good breakout passes, people not anticipating passes to get a quick shot off (LANG mostly), overskating the puck, getting handcuffed by the bad passes and not getting the bounces to go their way. They looked like half the team they're supposed to be. Granted Calgary looked much better, but if thats the best Calgary can do then Detroit only needs a few bounces to go their way and things will be fine. I don't know if its the ice or the jet lag or the atmosphere but lets hope they can settle down and play THEIR game again on thursday. This was not the Detroit Red Wings that we know out there last night.