• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hckypete96

Lidstrom played unusually bad in game 3

Rate this topic

Don't forget the interference with Z that led to that game winning goal to begin with. Z has been getting back to help on D super quickly all season, and I have no doubt he could have helped on that one if he wasn't being interfered with.

I saw that missed call also and I was screaming at my TV (much to my sleeping wife's dismay). I saw that interference and thought for sure that Calgary was about to get a penalty. I figured now we have a power play and the chance to put this away. I was very disappointed in the refs on that missed call.

In fact I think several times during the game calls were poorly handled (Interference Call in the second when the Wing shot the puck then got bumped by a Flames player and called... WTF)

But I also feel the CBC jinxed Lids last night. And sadly Yzerman helped then with this. I love Yzerman but he went on after the second period and talked about how Lids it 100% perfect in every game and never makes any mistakes.

I hate when that happens. ;)

Last year when Yzerman was hurt in the series against Edmonton he did interviews with the CBC and the same things happened. I love seeing Yzerman on TV but the jinx is not helping. lol

You'll want to check the replay -- he did not "get beat" -- he gambled and lost. Dom can make that save anyway. He didn't -- goal and game. Just glad it wasn't game set and match!

Honestly, if you put any goalie in that situation Iginla is going to score. When he has that much time to shoot he is unstoppable, even from forty feet. That goal was completely lidstroms fault.

Dude -- add some more Iginila to your pipe! lol.

He's completely stoppable -- as in the last umpteen playoff games without a goal -- until then.

YOu said it yourself -- 40 feet out -- from an angle -- wrist shot -- get beat far side -- not screened. What more does dom want? As soft goes -- it wasn't pillow soft -- but it felt like play dough....

Lidstrom gambled and lost on the Iginla goal. Ninety-five times out of a hundred he makes that play.

Yes -- and he knows the play is not to try and intercept a pass and make a commitment that if fails -- can result in disaster....the gamble itself is what was a little out of character for him.....

99 times out of 100 he does the smart thing and plays the man -- not the puck.

I would put the blame on Lids too, but he has saved so many games for us it doesnt even matter. I dont hold it against him, you cant be on EVERY night.

Plus the wings had 10 minutes to tie and they didnt muster much.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.... doesn't matter anymore we lost the game. Lidstrom is such a great player but he had a bad game, everyone who has ever played hockey has a bad game. Lidstrom is so good that you hardly ever notice what he does (unless he scores a goal or something) untill he makes a mistake. Everyone knows that 99 times out of 100 he intercepts that pass but he didn't, that and his attempt to clear the puck on the PK on the 2nd goal is all I blame him for. I blame the 3rd goal on Hasek, he seemed like he was deep in his net when he should of came out of his net to cut down the ange on Igilnas shot. I am confident that Hasek and the boys will rebound from this and win Game 4.

edited for typos

Edited by Salviaman

Honestly, if you put any goalie in that situation Iginla is going to score. When he has that much time to shoot he is unstoppable, even from forty feet. That goal was completely lidstroms fault.

That's crazy. Iginla had two other uncontested shots from about 40ft and Dom had no trouble with those. NO ONE in the NHL should score on an NHL goaltender with a wrist shot from 40ft out, when the goaltender can see it coming. Espically an 'elite' goaltender, which most people would suggest Dom is. Dom and Nick, along with every other Wing (except Cleary and Drapes) had an off night. We'll bounce back.

While we all think Lidstrom is perfect, the reality is no one is. It happens.

Anyways I was on HFboards I read this from someone on their and I thought it was HILARIOUS!

that goals by iggy against lidstrom will demoroalize him for the rest of the series, and niklas will not bounce back. not trolling just expressing my gut feeling.

Anyways I was on HFboards I read this from someone on their and I thought it was HILARIOUS!

I guess we will see... All it took was a long cheap puck to go in on the Clout and the series was 4 and out. Not as far and not as cheap, but still a game sealer nonetheless.

While I don't think it will happy, anything can happen. I hope Lids will be bigger than Clout :)

Edited by OsGOD

lol i agree he made some mistakes, but its so rare, i dont think a thread is merited hahaha, no offense

I agree , this thread is nuts. I mean come on guy's , Lids is one of the best defencemen in the history of hockey, he makes one mistake and there's a whole thread about it! I'm starting to think the playoff's are starting to effect some people's sanity. :crazy:

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

Dude -- add some more Iginila to your pipe! lol.

He's completely stoppable -- as in the last umpteen playoff games without a goal -- until then.

YOu said it yourself -- 40 feet out -- from an angle -- wrist shot -- get beat far side -- not screened. What more does dom want? As soft goes -- it wasn't pillow soft -- but it felt like play dough....

You're right, he is completely stoppable, we did it in the first two games. however, on that particular play we gave him space, and when iginla has time, he is going to score. just because it was a wrist shot doesn't make it easier to stop either. when guys wind up for a slapper the goalie knows exaclty when its coming, on a wristshot, especially iginla (or sakic) it is quick, and not as easy to time.

yea, Hasek and Nick may have messed up.....but how bout the bad ice and ref'ing...that puck was all over the place, and the officials blew it (what a shock)

you must be joking...Hasek did mess up but Lidstrom can do no wrong. if he messes up then there are specific reasons for him doing so. he let Iginla score to give him some false hope so he can crush him like a bug. never question the Lidstrom

it's easy to blame the goalie (obviously), but Nick knows he blew that play...

I think I am in the minority with this opinion, but:

Lidstrom did not misplay Iginla. What is being forgotten is that Iginla did not have the puck until after he passed by Nick. There was nothing Lidstrom could do except what he did. Try to steer Iginla to the side without making contact.

Hasek was cheating way too far to the left...he normally makes that save.

Ultimately, it's one goal and one game. If Calgary needs Detroit to make unusual mistakes to win by one goal in a close game on home ice, this series is already decided.

you must be joking...Hasek did mess up but Lidstrom can do no wrong. if he messes up then there are specific reasons for him doing so. he let Iginla score to give him some false hope so he can crush him like a bug. never question the Lidstrom

I wasn't ripping Nick, I was ripping the Calgary ice surface...and random fire alarms going off

I think I am in the minority with this opinion, but:

Lidstrom did not misplay Iginla. What is being forgotten is that Iginla did not have the puck until after he passed by Nick. There was nothing Lidstrom could do except what he did. Try to steer Iginla to the side without making contact.

Hasek was cheating way too far to the left...he normally makes that save.

Ultimately, it's one goal and one game. If Calgary needs Detroit to make unusual mistakes to win by one goal in a close game on home ice, this series is already decided.

I am shocked that you would find fault with Hasek. :rolleyes:

You are decidedly in the minority. According to Nick Lidstrom, your assessment is incorrect.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/hockey...f9-3460e671b0d8

A little less than five minutes later, Lidstrom was caught flat-footed when Wayne Primeau headmanned the puck to Jarome Iginla, who scampered down the right wing and ripped a shot past Dominik Hasek for the game-winner and series-tightener.

"I got beaten by a pass in the neutral zone," shrugged Lidstrom, who had played the leading role in keeping Iginla off the scoresheet for the series' first eight periods. "He only needs one chance to put it in and he proved it on that play. He's a tremendous player."

"I have to give him credit for the goal," noted Hasek. "He saw the spot inside the post above my pad, but I still feel that's a puck that I have chance to make the save because I could see it."

If you ever did want to say something positive about Dom, you might admit he's honest to a fault and knows when he's off. How many elite goaltenders would say what he did. He agrees with you, that he should have had the goal, not that it matters. He will do better, of course, in the next game.

It was a one goal game, where there were plenty of missed opportunities for the Wings to score more than their requisite 2 goals per game. I've said from the beginning of the season that habit would haunt them.

Lidstrom being my favorite Wing, I have to say that I don't think he really got beat that badly. What I want to comment on is the officiating. McCreary missed about 5 or 6 blatant penalties by the Flames and called just about every single thing we did. Not saying that some of our penalties weren't deserved, but come on. Honestly, I hope we get Devorski and the rest of the team from Game 2 again.

Maybe...Dom should have been out cutting down the angle, and not be standing in the crease. His positioning also looked a little off. He could have changed some things to prevent it. Lids should have got him, but I put more blame on Hasek. That stuff happens though. Can't play perfect every game.

I can only imagine what it would have been like if Dom had been dumb enough to allow more than one "suspect" goal. This one is so close people are arguing about it. And yes, Nick was responsible, he even said so. So did Hasek. So what is the issue with assigning more or less blame here?

Nick didn't lose that game last night, and neither did Hasek. The team lost it, unless one subscribes to the easy-out of blaming the goalie for every loss. Technically, every game is lost because the keeper didn't stop enough pucks.

There were more factors involved last night than just our captain and our #1 goalie. The whole team will be better tomorrow. :thumbup:

edit: I am glad the Wings aren't as picky as we are, and work and play well together. :P

Edited by puckloo39