• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hckypete96

Lidstrom played unusually bad in game 3

Rate this topic

I am shocked that you would find fault with Hasek. :rolleyes:

You are decidedly in the minority. According to Nick Lidstrom, your assessment is incorrect.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/hockey...f9-3460e671b0d8

A little less than five minutes later, Lidstrom was caught flat-footed when Wayne Primeau headmanned the puck to Jarome Iginla, who scampered down the right wing and ripped a shot past Dominik Hasek for the game-winner and series-tightener.

"I got beaten by a pass in the neutral zone," shrugged Lidstrom, who had played the leading role in keeping Iginla off the scoresheet for the series' first eight periods. "He only needs one chance to put it in and he proved it on that play. He's a tremendous player."

"I have to give him credit for the goal," noted Hasek. "He saw the spot inside the post above my pad, but I still feel that's a puck that I have chance to make the save because I could see it."

If you ever did want to say something positive about Dom, you might admit he's honest to a fault and knows when he's off. How many elite goaltenders would say what he did. He agrees with you, that he should have had the goal, not that it matters. He will do better, of course, in the next game.

It was a one goal game, where there were plenty of missed opportunities for the Wings to score more than their requisite 2 goals per game. I've said from the beginning of the season that habit would haunt them.

Nowhere in there does Nick say 'I misplayed Iginla.'

Now, maybe since you are so wise, you could tell me what Nick SHOULD have done in that situation? If he made a mistake, that means there was a correct course of action, right? Enlighten me what he should have done.

Lidstrom's mistake was only one of three on that play; first, Hank was illegally prevented from grabbing that loose puck, call it holding or interference, take your pick; Lids tried to intercept the pass and missed it (a rarity) but it's a 2-2 game and you might want to play it conservatively; Hasek was too far in his net, but hey, it's the first mistake of the series for him and he's playing great. In a sense, it shows that Lidstrom has confidence in Dom to back up a failed gamble, so I'm not worried, it's one play ;besides, you don't win in OT or close playoff games by sitting back--it aint Manny or Cujo back there anymore. Personally, don't think the Flames will win another one, let alone beat us in the series.

Please, the Red Wings would be the 8th seed without Nick Lidstrom. I thought he was very good again last night, and the Iginla goal was just an unfortunate break for Nick. I directly remember a play where Iginla had a two-on-two and ever so casually, Lidstrom poke-checked and swiped the puck away with no harm done. There's a reason Iginla has one goal in 14 games against the Wings, and that reason is #5. It's unfortunate, but we are all guilty of expecting the world every night from Nick. Was it Nick's best game? No. However, his off nights are better than 95% of other players good nights.

Was it Nick's best game? No. However, his off nights are better than 95% of other players good nights.

and unfortuantly for the Wings... when Nik has an off night it is more devistating than 95% of the other players bad nights.

I never thought Nik was to blame for the Iggy goal... However, his bad decision leading to Giordano goal is where I found fault.

Edited by OsGOD

Now, maybe since you are so wise, you could tell me what Nick SHOULD have done in that situation? If he made a mistake, that means there was a correct course of action, right? Enlighten me what he should have done.

You're parsing words. Read the linked article I posted. "Lidstrom was caught flat-footed when Wayne Primeau headmanned the puck to Jarome Iginla," sounds like to me Nick missed his assignment, allowing Iginla the opportunity to score. Nick was just a nano-second too slow, and Dom was just a few millimeters shy of where he should have been.

I say they both made a mistake. They both say they did. I simply disagree that Hasek was the major factor in the loss. There were a few other players involved, as I recall. The Flames took advantage. I love Kris Draper, but when he is the best skater on the ice, there's more wrong than Dom missing a puck by an inch or so and Nick missing his assignment.

They will all be better tomorrow. I am hoping Bert makes his presence felt.

Edited by puckloo39

He should have not worried about the puck and simply kept himself between Iginla and the net. He gambled and it didn't work.

...I love Kris Draper, but when he is the best skater on the ice, there's more wrong than Dom missing a puck by an inch or so and Nick missing his assignment.

Really you think so? I've always thought of Draper being one of the consistently best skaters on the team until Lebda came along. The way Draper throws it into high gear when racing for a puck is awesome!, he makes it look a lot easier then it is.

Edit=spelling

Edited by Elshupacabra

He should have not worried about the puck and simply kept himself between Iginla and the net. He gambled and it didn't work.

Had he done that any more than he did, he would have been called for interference. Giving up one unscreened 40 footer is better than our MVP being in the box for two.

yeah he just seemed like misread a lot of plays, the zetterberg pass that resulted in a goal and when jarome flew right by him when he tried to pick the pass those were the two that stood out the most in my mind...def. agree it was very unusual to see him play like that. <_<

You're parsing words. Read the linked article I posted. "Lidstrom was caught flat-footed when Wayne Primeau headmanned the puck to Jarome Iginla," sounds like to me Nick missed his assignment, allowing Iginla the opportunity to score. Nick was just a nano-second too slow, and Dom was just a few millimeters shy of where he should have been.

Thats someones opinion just like yours. Bottom Line: they both made mistakes. Inglina had a great shot on Dom, but Dom could have done things to stop it. This stuff happens all the time in hockey. Inglina is going to score, and we are going to make mistakes. Look for a strong game tommorow!!

You're parsing words. Read the linked article I posted. "Lidstrom was caught flat-footed when Wayne Primeau headmanned the puck to Jarome Iginla," sounds like to me Nick missed his assignment.

I simply disagree that Hasek was the major factor in the loss.

1) You said NICK said it, which he did not. That was opinion from the article, not a quote.

2) I said Hasek normally would make the save on Iginla. I never blamed him for the loss. Just for the one goal. Detroit should have been better as a team, yes. This doesn't mean Hasek was not the main culprit on that particular play.

Who cares anymore, the game is over..let's move on and get pumped for tomorrow!

1. Hasek is going to bounce back and play an amazing game tomorrow.

2. Lidstrom is amazing and one mistake doesn't mean a damn thing. It's not going to phase him. Not for a second.