• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zaxx

Kyle Calder

Rate this topic

I may be mistaken but it seems that Kyle Calder has disappeared during these playoffs. I loved him in the regular season and even picked him in my hockey draft thinking his gritty style would bode well. However he has had no points a few hits and really has not shown up.

I know this may seem like a fan who is dejected over the loss last night but I felt this way after the wins. I figured as long as they won he must be doing his assigned job but I am not so sure anymore.

I was expecting Calder to be playing like Cleary did last night. Hitting hard, winning battles for the puck and owning Dion.

Anyone else feel or notice this?

Edited by zaxx

I may be mistaken but it seems that Kyle Calder has disappeared during these playoffs. I loved him in the regular season and even picked him in my hockey draft thinking his gritty style would bode well. However he has had no points a few hits and really has not shown up.

I know this may seem like a fan who is dejected over the loss last night but I felt this way after the wins. I figured as long as they won he must be doing his assigned job but I am not so sure anymore.

I was expecting Calder to be playing like Cleary did last night. Hitting hard, winning battles for the puck and owning Dion.

Anyone else feel or notice this?

Yeah he's not as visible in the playoffs, but what's he supposed to do when Lang is just stinkin it up???

IMO Calder has been relentless on the forecheck and along the boards. Any puck possession the Lang line gets is mostly because of Calder getting in and on top of the D. He's been in front of the net as well. Frankly, Robert Lang has been awful and Samuelsson hasnt been much better, so you start playing 1 against 5 shift after shift and it's tough. Bottom line is IMO Calder is doing fine.

Like I said in my post I am not coming out against the team and running into the town square screaming that the sky is falling. I am simply disappointed that our trade deadline grit is not making an impact.

Perhaps it is due to the mismatch pairing of Lang, and Calder. I have never been a huge Lang fan but this series I feel he has shown some skill. I want to see Calder win battles for the puck and step into guys. These first few games I have seen him turn away from hits and give the puck away (something gritty people do not do)

Last night CBC announcers said that Calder and some Flames player were exchanging words. I wanted so badly for Calder to drop the mitts. If he would have tuned someones clock it would have changed the momentum and given the team and perhaps Calder the spark to help them battle.

Plus even if he got beat or the fight was close at least he would have been showing some emotion and grit.

Yeah, so has Zetterberg.... what can you do?

Babs does a really s***TY job with lines... he is stubborn and doesn't like to fix what is obviously NOT working for the team.

Edited by OsGOD

OMFG...I'm sooo sorry I clicked on this thread.. :thumbdown:

Your right, Calder is useless, s***! The one guy showing the most effort on the 2nd line and finishing his checks, he should be benched. Especially after the one game! While were at it so is Lidstrom!. :blink:

There's more to the game than just the scoreboard.

Calder has been a phenomenal physical presence, has been great on the forecheck, and has been digging pucks out of the corners like a champ.

He's been an asset to this team through these first 3 games.

Yeah, so has Zetterberg.... what can you do?

Babs does a really s***TY job with lines... he is stubborn and doesn't like to fix what is obviously NOT working for the team.

9 goals in 3 games, with 7 out of 12 (13 if you want to throw Bert into this) players recording a point. How is that not working?

9 goals in 3 games, with 7 out of 12 (13 if you want to throw Bert into this) players recording a point. How is that not working?

i dont think hes specifically stating that it is Z that isnt working, but more so other lines like lang and sammy etc... that babs just wont change around

There's more to the game than just the scoreboard.

Calder has been a phenomenal physical presence, has been great on the forecheck, and has been digging pucks out of the corners like a champ.

In regards to zeta... I haven't really noticed him being an asset and more than Bert was last night. I guess being at the games I am able to see more than the on camera shots, becuase he looked sluggish and lacking puck control through at least the first 2 games.... And a healthy Z would have picked up that puck and not allowed Giowhateverthell his name is get that shot. He hasn't played like he had before with his linemates... Dats is doing the job all by himself. Assisted once by holmer and once unassisted. In games one and two at least, Zeta was knocked off stride and off the puck on a regular basis. I am not saying he won't improve, but I am also not saying he is playing the player we have come to expect. Him coming back was a huge moral boost for the fans and I am sure the team... but so far that has been by name only. He hasn't had a good game yet since coming back form injury... but on the same note his game play hasn't hurt us as much as it did last game in the loss. Sure the first line is working but I see it more as working the same way it did when Zeta was out of the line up. I am sure he will eventually back in with them, but so far it has been the Dats show on the first line... Zeta has been more like a stage hand.

Well for the goal scoring those 9 have been spread between 5 guys really. People are bitching about lack of production by certain players and the really problem is the line mates they have aren't working for them. Babs refuses (as he did last season) to make the lines as effective they possibly can. not to mention the benching of one of the 7 players with the points, in favor of one player who hasn't had a stand out year.

Edited by OsGOD

i dont think hes specifically stating that it is Z that isnt working, but more so other lines like lang and sammy etc... that babs just wont change around

No, If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what OsGod is saying about Z, and he has every right to be a little upset. Z scored 6 goals in 6 playoff games last season, while in 3 games this year he hasn't registered a point. I'm not going to make excuses for Z anymore than I did for Dats last season, but I just don't agree with OsGod's sentiment here 100%. The Z-Dats-Homer line may not be lighting it up like they did before Z went down, but its not like the line has been invisible. Osgod's beef with Z is that he hasn't registered a point yet this series, but as I said, I don't look at it that way. If he's working hard and contributing, his efforts allow guys like Dats and Homer to get open and register points.

Now that being said, Z (just like Dats) is being relied on to "carry the load" this year in the playoffs, and to some people, that only means points. I'm just not one of those people.

OMFG...I'm sooo sorry I clicked on this thread.. :thumbdown:

Your right, Calder is useless, s***! The one guy showing the most effort on the 2nd line and finishing his checks, he should be benched. Especially after the one game! While were at it so is Lidstrom!. :blink:

I never said he is a useless sh*t. I simply am curious why a guy who was looking brilliant in the regular season has been almost unheard of in the post season. There could be any number of reasons:

1. He may be injured but hiding it

2. Fatigue playing into it (too many fights along the boards) :)

3. Has he played in the post season before?

4. Something behind the scenes (someone give him hell and he is upset?)

5. Something at home?

6. He just lost an edge in his play?

7. standard slump?

8. Nerves (the wing is a huge responsibility to have on a player)

I could go on..

I love the player and was pumped to see him acquired and have a great end to the regular season. I am not bashing him in anyway. I simply am asking for peoples opinions on why he has seemingly went from a power forward to just a regular forward.

In regards to zeta... I haven't really noticed him being an asset and more than Bert was last night. I guess being at the games I am able to see more than the on camera shots, becuase he looked sluggish and lacking puck control through at least the first 2 games.... And a healthy Z would have picked up that puck and not allowed Giowhateverthell his name is get that shot. He hasn't played like he had before with his linemates... Dats is doing the job all by himself. Assisted once by holmer and once unassisted. In games one and two at least, Zeta was knocked off stride and off the puck on a regular basis. I am not saying he won't improve, but I am also not saying he is playing the player we have come to expect. Him coming back was a huge moral boost for the fans and I am sure the team... but so far that has been by name only. He hasn't had a good game yet (even though we won, it had very little to do with zeta himself)

Well for the goal scoring those 9 have been spread between 5 guys really. People are bitching about lack of production by certain players and the really problem is the line mates they have aren't working for them. Babs refuses (as he did last season) to make the lines as effective they possibly can. not to mention the benching of one of the 7 players with the points, in favor of one player who hasn't had a stand out year.

I will agree that I don't understand Babs' reasoning all the time. He seems like one of those guys that, 'if its working you stick with it' kind of guys, yet he benches Hudler (who has produced thus far in the playoffs both on the scoreboard and his all-around play). I can see why that frustrates you. It frustrates me as well, but I think his reasoning for not switching up the Z-Dats-Homer line thus far is that the Wings were 2-0 going into last night. Even if they're not clicking 100%, there's no urgency to make a change since the Wings were winning, and maybe his thought process was that he hopes that line will catch fire again, while the team as a whole is doing well. Now that they've lost a game, we'll see what he does.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I never said he is a useless sh*t. I simply am curious why a guy who was looking brilliant in the regular season has been almost unheard of in the post season. There could be any number of reasons:

1. He may be injured but hiding it

2. Fatigue playing into it (too many fights along the boards) :)

3. Has he played in the post season before?

4. Something behind the scenes (someone give him hell and he is upset?)

5. Something at home?

6. He just lost an edge in his play?

7. standard slump?

8. Nerves (the wing is a huge responsibility to have on a player)

I could go on..

I love the player and was pumped to see him acquired and have a great end to the regular season. I am not bashing him in anyway. I simply am asking for peoples opinions on why he has seemingly went from a power forward to just a regular forward.

Those 8 statement could be used for any of the players on the team... Its been 3 games. Very seldom did every one of our guys have a 3game point streak or 3 good games in a row at any given stretch of the season.

he is screwed on a line with the lang and sammy hence the slump. everytime anyone said anything bad about lang all season his supporters would come out and say "wait until the playoffs." well im still waiting and personally i can't wait until he is no longer a red wing. calder needs to have some kind of playmaker on his line such as bertuzzi or hudler

Edited by Sentonial Debut

Now that they've lost a game, we'll see what he does.

I gather Huddles will be benched and the lines will remain the same... Doing otherwise would admit what he has put in place aint working.

he is screwed on a line with the lang and sammy hence the slump. everytime anyone said anything bad about lang all season his supporters would come out and say "wait until the playoffs." well im still waiting and personally i can't wait until he is no longer a red wing.

You really are one for instant gratification ain't ya.... It's been a whole three(3) games into the post season and our first loss. Where were ya bitching after games 1 and 2? Lang hasn't looked any different so far form the post season (just different linemates)... The only Difference is now that we lost a game you can fire him off as a scapegoat.

Edited by OsGOD

Calder has been the only one on his line actually doing something.

I said it a couple games ago that he does not deserve to be on a line with Langer and Sammy. There's only so much you can do by yourself! Plug him in with two new linemates and all will be well again...actually just take out Sammy, replace him with Bert and all will be good! I don't know what the deal is with Lang but SLOWLY and surely he's getting there.

KC is the man.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

You really are one for instant gratification ain't ya.... It's been a whole three(3) games into the post season and our first loss. Where were ya bitching after games 1 and 2? Lang hasn't looked any different so far form the post season (just different linemates)... The only Difference is now that we lost a game you can fire him off as a scapegoat.

:clap:

And I'm not even supporting Lang.

Calder has been the only one on his line actually doing something.

I said it a couple games ago that he does not deserve to be on a line with Langer and Sammy. There's only so much you can do by yourself! Plug him in with two new linemates and all will be well again...actually just take out Sammy, replace him with Bert and all will be good! I don't know what the deal is with Lang but SLOWLY and surely he's getting there.

KC is the man.

Your comment makes sense to me. I have liked the few mins of time where Calder has hit and worked but he does not seem to win the battles (turns the wrong way and misses the puck or whatever). I would like to see him picking it up a little more. I so badly wanted him to fight last night just to see the emotion come alive from him.

I think you may be right. He is just paired with the wrong line mates. No knocking Lang or anyone but perhaps Calder needs to be mixed up with a different line just to get him rolling again.

I would love to see Calder and Bert on the same line. Centered by Lang or Flip. Calder and Bert could play off each other like Thorton and Cheechoo. But we shall see what Babcock does after a loss. We looked good all game and I figured we were going to silence them in the 3rd but for a costly mistake so Babs may just stick with the same lines for one more game.

IMO Calder plays with the two worst forwards on the team. What do you expect out him anyways when you have lazie fair Robert Lang doing nothing except turning the puck over and missing passes? Or Sameulsson not passing at all and instead choosing to take a long bomb shot that only Dan Cloutier would let in.

I almost dreaded coming on here after the Wings lost. I knew there would be a lot of idiots making stupid complaints over one loss. You guys sound like my father when it comes to the Wings. One win and everything is great, the Wings will win it all. One less and you guys are already looking towards next season. It's ridiculous.

edited for grammar

Edited by Kp-Wings

Calder has been okay. I don't think he's been worse than most of the rest of the team, in regards to last night's game. In the first 2 games I didn't see ANYONE complaining about any players.

This is what I hate about a loss. We get multiple threads about specific players (as if one player decides a loss). It's very annoying. Even if he hasn't come on yet, it's only been a couple of games, and I saw NO ONE complaining after game 2.