• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flamesfan

Flames Vs. Detroit Game 3

Rate this topic

Well, I was at the game and what can I say. The atmosphere was absolutely electric. The 7th man was in full effect. What you see on TV is not created by giving out free red t-shirts. The Sea of Red is 100% real!!!

Now, I'm gonna first address what everyone is gonna bring up.... The Cleary Hit!!!

It was dirty.... just kidding

Honestly, he absolutely rocked Phaneuf, everyone was super worried when Phaneuf left the ice, but he's a trooper and got right back in the game. Good, clean, solid hit!! Cleary and Draper were easily the best Red Wings out there. Bertuzzi was a huge dissappointment. I enjoy watching Bertuzzi usually, but he was invisible in this game.

No question that Detroit was not playing its best game, but neither was Calgary. While we saw a much improved Flames team, still too many turnovers, and still some defensive breakdowns.

Regehr will be back for game 4, which should help us tremendously.

What this all means is that Thursday is anyones game. I totally expect to see a close hard fighting game.

Plus, I had already booked my flight and hotel for Detroit (game 5), I'm totally relieved that I'm coming there to actually cheer on the Flames.

Maybe if you don't mind being seen with a Flames fan, I can come and have a beer with some of the lgw.com folk???

I now open the floor for discussion

What a great atmosphere last night, better than I had anticipated.

The noise level before puck drop brought back memories of 2004. It was great to take in a playoff game in person, nothing else like it.

Just glad everyone ignored the fire alarm!

The Wings did not play their best at all. Was it from the atmosphere and an improved Calgary team. Very much so. But a lot of it was mental breakdowns and the fact that the Wings did not play with the same dump and chase, shoot, shoot, shoot mentality they had in games 1 and 2.

Coincidentally, I'm not being a jackass when I say that I believe that was Calgarys best game. I think the Wings are so dominant through 3 zones that they can make teams look bad. Look at the Anaheim-Minnesota series. The Ducks are making the Wild look bad. It's not Minnesota's fault, it's just that Anaheim is a much better team.

Getting Regher back will be huge for the Flames, no doubt. But he wasn't that much of a factor in Game 2 and with each game Bert will be better. He's suffering from serious rink-rust.

Game 4 will be a very good game but if the Wings get back to the same blueprint as Games 1 and 2, we will win. The Wings are much more talented team and we've shown through almost 9 periods that we're the harder working team and the more physical team.

If we can get our PK working a little better then this series is over. 4 of the 5 goals Calgary has scored has been on the PP. We are dominating you guys 5-on-5.

Again, I'm not saying this to be a prick, I'm only being honest.

Enjoy your trip to Detroit this weekend and have a few pops for me.

Cheers!

Without Drapes and Cleary in that game... I don't even want to think about it. The Wings played a lot like they have in playoffs over the past few years... they looked uninspired. That scares me. Some of it had to be Calgary Fans and the intensity that the Flames came out with, but there were some people coasting last night for the Wings. Hopefully they see the err in the ways and make adjustments.

By the way, the officiating was ridiculous... McCreary made some really bad calls. No excuse, just my opinion. You always have to play through Refs and adversity to win the Cup.

I called it long before the puck dropped - Calgary was going to quit messing around and come out more focused, and they did. Too bad the Wings didn't want to really play.

We'd like to see you guys come in the GDT once in a while, maybe tone down the homerism we let get to ridiculous levels!

Any hockey fan is welcome to hang out and have a beer with us. Let us know when you're available and we'll do our best to have the Welcoming Committee join you.

Have a great time at Game !

Game 4 will be a very good game but if the Wings get back to the same blueprint as Games 1 and 2, we will win. The Wings are much more talented team and we've shown through almost 9 periods that we're the harder working team and the more physical team.

If we can get our PK working a little better then this series is over. 4 of the 5 goals Calgary has scored has been on the PP. We are dominating you guys 5-on-5.

Here is where I agree and disagree with you. Calgary is the far more talented team on paper. The reason Detroit is doing so well is because they are out working Calgary. Detroit is a very hard working team. Downside, is the fact that I don't know if they can keep that up through the whole series, or the whole playoffs.

But you made some decent points ;)

Any hockey fan is welcome to hang out and have a beer with us. Let us know when you're available and we'll do our best to have the Welcoming Committee join you.

Have a great time at Game !

Are you being sarcastic?? What's GDM??? :)

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Here is where I agree and disagree with you. Calgary is the far more talented team on paper. The reason Detroit is doing so well is because they are out working Calgary. Detroit is a very hard working team. Downside, is the fact that I don't know if they can keep that up through the whole series, or the whole playoffs.

Check out the Lang thread, I posted statistics from the 1st 3 games. Flames improved their possession time, shots on goal, blocked shots and hits while we declined in those areas for game three. Simply, Flames worked harder than us last game and deserved the win.

Mike Babcock is a numbers guy and he's big on guys winning individual battles and such and i'm betting he's showing our boys the same info. Talent means almost nothing in the playoffs. The harder working team wins most every game. Detroit worked harder and smarter in games 1 and 2, flames did it in game 3. Its as easy as that.

Valid question, but for once, no sarcarsm at all here. :lol:

GDT is game day thread. Last year they were rife with Flames fans - this year not so much. Would like to see more of Calgary's fans around. Spices up the threads!

last night game probably helped Detroit in more ways than not.

1) We actually had to work.

2) We had to fight for a lead

3) A good reality check

When we advance to round 2, our opponent isn't going to lay down and be submissive like the Flames, we need to keep perspective. And remember this is, in fact, the playoffs.

Go Wings!

I see, putting the carriage before the horse. Its 2-1 in the series, anyone can still take it. I wouldn't proclaim victory quite yet my friend.

Calgary is the far more talented team on paper? You've got to be kidding me...

You couldn't be more wrong.

On paper, Detroit is definitely one of the most talented teams .

If Detroit plays to it's potential than I don't think there are too many teams out there that can knock off Detroit in a 7 game series.

Yeah i have to agree here, i dont wanna talk about last nights game as I hope the wings rebound, but on paper the wings are way more talented, i would say its the other way around.

Talented on paper: Wings

Team that isnt so talented on paper, but puts on a show on ice is the Flames

To me, the absolute most important thing is who wants to establish the forecheck first. The team that has done this in the past 3 games, has went on to win.

Obviously, there's more to it than this, but this is the most important factor IMO.

Never before have I heard a Fire alarm that sounded like a cowbell...weird.

All the fire alarms i've ever heard sound like Air Horn Klaxons...

To me, the absolute most important thing is who wants to establish the forecheck first. The team that has done this in the past 3 games, has went on to win.

Obviously, there's more to it than this, but this is the most important factor IMO.

I completely agree and it's what I noticed in Game 3 more than anything else. The Wings need to establish themselves as the dominant male in game 4 much like they did in the first two games. Dump and crash. Initiate the contact, don't wait for it.

I think the Wings are going to be much different in game 4.

Guest Agalloch

I expected the Flames to win this, as they were home, where they're good, and we were on the road, where we're mediocre at best.

The bottom line, though, is that the Flames need to pick up a win at the JLA, and I don't see how that'll happen.

One thing I have noticed in the last two games about the wings, is that they are getting caught at times trying to make a play when a puck comes bouncing into their zone. If they miss it, the flames seem to pounce on it and get it in deep and generate chances. I have felt that if they would try and retreat into their zone with the puck instead of trying to stand up at the top of the zone they would negate these chances. Sometimes they are victims of their incredible ability to move the puck (i think the wings have the best corps of puck moving defenceman in the league)

I thought Bert was lost, the puck was bouncy, the refs were making dumb calls, and all the lucky bounces went towards the Wings and we still lost.

Also who is better on paper is best left to talk about while playing golf.

Just glad everyone ignored the fire alarm!

Yeah I heard it last night on the radio. What exactly happened there that set it off?

On topic, the Wings will have a very hard time taking one out of Calgary. The atmosphere there is just so loud, it must be impossible to stay on your game with that kind of noise. It'll be a very tough challenge for the Wings to pull out of there with a win.

Too bad the Wings didn't want to really play.

This sngle comment makes me wonder if you actually watched the game, or you hold the Wings in such high regard, that they will never meet your expectations. I was amazed at the Wings last night. The relentless forchecking, keeping small gaps etc....really showed me that your team shows up every night. I also realized how much credit Babcock should be getting. The Wings are one of the best coached teams in the league by far.

This sngle comment makes me wonder if you actually watched the game, or you hold the Wings in such high regard, that they will never meet your expectations. I was amazed at the Wings last night. The relentless forchecking, keeping small gaps etc....really showed me that your team shows up every night. I also realized how much credit Babcock should be getting. The Wings are one of the best coached teams in the league by far.

I don't get to watch a pretty big part of the games as I need to be online, but from what I saw and the comments I've read throughout, the Wings weren't playing the same game they played the first two. I saw some sloppy passing and some major defensive breakdowns, which we can ill afford against any team in the playoffs.

I don't get to watch a pretty big part of the games as I need to be online, but from what I saw and the comments I've read throughout, the Wings weren't playing the same game they played the first two. I saw some sloppy passing and some major defensive breakdowns, which we can ill afford against any team in the playoffs.

And you are right. I mean, we didn't suck, but we weren't as strong as we could have been. Especially the first period. We had opportunites to go up ... obviously the 4 minute PP and could hardly muster a shot. The Flames fed off desperation and a home crowd and got the win. We kept it close, but I think there was a lot more we could have done.

I wont blame the refs for the loss, because I feel every team in the league gets bad calls now and again, though I will say the reffing was horendous. 2 or 3 of the calls were reaterded.

Game 4 will have me nervous. We can win and have the ball in our court the rest of the series, or lose, and it is anyones game.

The Wings played really well last night for being on the road. It was great to see the Wings not let anything phase them..especially in the first period when the Flames were playing some desperate hockey. They definitely showed up to play, and they really played with heart and wanted to win. A couple mistakes is what cost them the loss, but that doesn't mean they didn't show up for the the game.

And you are right. I mean, we didn't suck, but we weren't as strong as we could have been. Especially the first period. We had opportunites to go up ... obviously the 4 minute PP and could hardly muster a shot. The Flames fed off desperation and a home crowd and got the win. We kept it close, but I think there was a lot more we could have done.

I wont blame the refs for the loss, because I feel every team in the league gets bad calls now and again, though I will say the reffing was horendous. 2 or 3 of the calls were reaterded.

Game 4 will have me nervous. We can win and have the ball in our court the rest of the series, or lose, and it is anyones game.

While I don't think the Wings had a good first period *compared to the previous two games* I liked the fact that they didn't let the crowd, or the desperation of the Flames coming out hard and flying, phase them at all. They got it together and I was happy that the period ended at 0-0 especially for a road game. I give them props.

While I don't think the Wings had a good first period *compared to the previous two games* I liked the fact that they didn't let the crowd, or the desperation of the Flames coming out hard and flying, phase them at all. They got it together and I was happy that the period ended at 0-0 especially for a road game. I give them props.

Totally agree. Though I wasn't impressed that we didn't score ... I was happy with the draw after one. We survived the initial onslaught of the fans. If they scored 2-3 minutes in, that building would collapsed on Dom.

I dont think that calgary is more talented at all. They definitly have the edge in goaltending, but thats about it.