• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
scotzman

No NHL on ESPN?!? But this...

Rate this topic

If you watch Sportscenter at all, you may have noticed how ESPN is now pushing SOCCER!! Thery are showing MLS in Prime Time on ESPN2... This makes me realize even more what a complete moron Bettman and his staff really are. Could MLS ever pass the NHL? I never thought NASCAR could...

Edited by scotzman

If you watch Sportscenter at all, you may have noticed how ESPN is now pushing SOCCER!! Thery are showing MLS in Prime Time on ESPN2... This makes me realize even more what a complete moron Bettman and his staff really are. Could MLS ever pass the NHL? I never thought NASCAR could...

MLS has nowhere to go but up. Plus, they just got David Beckham. There's a reason to broadcast it.

I love the NHL but i cant be down about my other fav sport getting more coverage :thumbup:

Not dissin' the MLS, just realizing that Bettman and the braintrust of the NHL are totally inept.

ESPN likes to market new things and kill old things. They killed the NHL when they lost the contract, and the same with poker once stations like FSN started airing their own versions. They're going to market the new things like MLS and the AFL because no one else has them. We'll see in 4 years where those two leagues are on ESPN and if they've been killed off by the station.

Not dissin' the MLS, just realizing that Bettman and the braintrust of the NHL are totally inept.

oh yeah no worries, i understood the point of your post, just sayin im happy mls is getting more attention, i didnt take it as you dissing mls or soccer itself. :thumbup:

ESPN likes to market new things and kill old things. They killed the NHL when they lost the contract, and the same with poker once stations like FSN started airing their own versions. They're going to market the new things like MLS and the AFL because no one else has them. We'll see in 4 years where those two leagues are on ESPN and if they've been killed off by the station.

I see your point, but they are on the NASCAR band wagon now. That is very established... some of it has to do with ABC too. The thing that kills me is that the NHL on ESPN was soooo much better than VS... it's just sad. Bad managment at the top.

oh yeah no worries, i understood the point of your post, just sayin im happy mls is getting more attention, i didnt take it as you dissing mls or soccer itself. :thumbup:

Good! :)

Soccer's awesome! :thumbup: Rather watch that then poker or some of the other lame crap they put on.

the national spelling bee, hot dog eating contest, chess championships.... IMO ESPN is desperate for programming so they show all that crap. They should have stuck with the NHL

isnt it rumored that zidane is going to play for the galaxy as well? I would love to see another headbutt

youre knowledge of soccer is evident if thats what you remember about Zidane

isnt it rumored that zidane is going to play for the galaxy as well? I would love to see another headbutt

I've heard that rumor too. It would be cool to see Zidane and Beckham play in the MLS allstar game against Celtic. :D

Headbutt's bad. :thumbdown:

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

I've heard that rumor too. It would be cool to see Zidane and Beckham play in the MLS allstar game against Celtic. :D

Headbutt's bad. :thumbdown:

I guess we got bumped to another area... :blink:

I thought this was a topic that had something to do with the NHL more than the MLS... :huh:

Harsh. Oh well.

---------------------

If the MLS keeps recruiting players like Beckham, I think it may have a shot at taking off... Another thing the NHL has not been able to do well. Sid the Kid is the only player in a while they have put any marketing behind.

I guess we got bumped to another area... :blink:

I thought this was a topic that had something to do with the NHL more than the MLS... :huh:

Harsh. Oh well.

---------------------

If the MLS keeps recruiting players like Beckham, I think it may have a shot at taking off... Another thing the NHL has not been able to do well. Sid the Kid is the only player in a while they have put any marketing behind.

I guess we got derailed from what the topic was all about. :blush:

I think what the NHL needs is some more of the original six to become strong again. No disrespect to the likes of Nashville, Carolina or Phoenix but people love history and tradition. Some of the new teams don't provide the same exitement that teams like Detroit ,Montreal ,New York and Toronto gives. :thumbup:

Yeah, I was called "ignorant" by posters in another thread because I cheered the NY Rangers sweep over Atlanta. I wrote that the Rangers series win was a victory for the NHL and the hockey fan in general. People don't realize that teams like the Red Wings, Rangers, Maple Leafs and Habs have a huge fan following. More fans mean TV ratings. More TV ratings mean bigger ad dollars. More buzz and coverage in the national media.

You really think if the Atlanta Thrashers or Nashville Predators go deep into the playoffs that this REALLY benefits the NHL?????? Sure, it might benefit the fans in Atlanta or Nashville. But who else is watching? Who really cares.

The Stanley Cup Final ratings for the Edmonton-Carolina series were pathetic. Ditto for the Calgary-Tampa Bay series in 2004. The big reason is because Carolina and Tampa Bay were in the finals. Those teams have ZERO fan following outside of their respective cities. You can't say that about the Red Wings though. Edmonton and Calgary are from smaller Canadian cities and many American hockey fans will tune that out as well.

I guess we got derailed from what the topic was all about. :blush:

I think what the NHL needs is some more of the original six to become strong again. No disrespect to the likes of Nashville, Carolina or Phoenix but people love history and tradition. Some of the new teams don't provide the same exitement that teams like Detroit ,Montreal ,New York and Toronto gives. :thumbup:

Yeah, I was called "ignorant" by posters in another thread because I cheered the NY Rangers sweep over Atlanta. I wrote that the Rangers series win was a victory for the NHL and the hockey fan in general. People don't realize that teams like the Red Wings, Rangers, Maple Leafs and Habs have a huge fan following. More fans mean TV ratings. More TV ratings mean bigger ad dollars. More buzz and coverage in the national media.

I do that too. If the Wings get eliminated early in the Playoff's I always root for one of the Original Six if there's any of them left that is.

You really think if the Atlanta Thrashers or Nashville Predators go deep into the playoffs that this REALLY benefits the NHL?????? Sure, it might benefit the fans in Atlanta or Nashville. But who else is watching? Who really cares.

The Stanley Cup Final ratings for the Edmonton-Carolina series were pathetic. Ditto for the Calgary-Tampa Bay series in 2004. The big reason is because Carolina and Tampa Bay were in the finals. Those teams have ZERO fan following outside of their respective cities. You can't say that about the Red Wings though. Edmonton and Calgary are from smaller Canadian cities and many American hockey fans will tune that out as well.

:thumbup: I just wish Gary Bettman would look on some of these fan boards to see what hockey fans actually want , then maybe some of the major sports networks would start to give a damn about Ice Hockey.

I love soccer (as can be seen by my avatar which is from the US-Italy match from last year) and I love hockey. But in terms of US television viewership soccer has a bigger potential profit to broadcast cost than hockey. Its the worlds game and when it catches on in the US it will be huge. Hockey had the chance with ESPN and nobody watched.

Edited by GoalieManPat

:clap::clap:

Totallly agree... If San Jose, Anaheim or Dallas were to meet, let's say the Rangers in the Finals, it would get good ratings, but if Detroit or Vancouver were to meet them, even bigger ratings would ensue.

Really, the Western Conference needs one more from the Original Six. Chicago, Detroit and Toronto would be the best I think. I know that Toronto would be extremely pissed, but it would allow for bigger rivalries and I would venture a guess and say that a lot of teams players from the West would be lovin' playing the Leafs at least 4 times a year.

Wake up NHL... build some rivalry through tradition.

I love soccer (as can be seen by my avatar which is from the US-Italy match from last year) and I love hockey. But in terms of US television viewership soccer has a bigger potential profit to broadcast cost than hockey. Its the worlds game and when it catches on in the US it will be huge. Hockey had the chance with ESPN and nobody watched.

People have been saying that for decades... I think until scoring goes up it will wallow down here with the NHL.

:thumbup: I just wish Gary Bettman would look on some of these fan boards to see what hockey fans actually want , then maybe some of the major sports networks would start to give a damn about Ice Hockey.

Agreed. You really from Glasgow? If, so, very happy to see a fellow Scotsman here on the LGW Forums... (Dad is from Kilmarnock).

As far as low scoring goes, its not hockey or soccer's fault that American attention spans cannot hold if there isnt constant scoring like basketball, maybe if for every goal they just make it 7 points america would watch, trick them with the numbers :P

ESPN pushing soccer, the most popular sport in the world, makes sense. So how is this support that Bettman is an idiot? ESPN was already too crowded for NHL hockey because of poker, auto-racing, basketball, etc. All the more reason IMO to find a network that would devote more time to the NHL. That said I think in the regular season Versus should show an NHL game every night of the week.

What really surprises me is how ESPN is now pimping for arena football, an obvious minor league.