• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Saran

Red Wings Special Teams Problems

Rate this topic

The wings need to pick up on their PP, doesn't look too great at all out there. Also the PK is looking abit weak, there have been a few PK's that have scared me a lot. Thoughts?

Yea. I was pretty shocked with how much the NBC guys kept complimenting our PP. We are like 2 for 15 or something like that in these first 2 games and have had atleast three 5 on 3 advantages so far. We're no better than we were in the regular season still except on the PK.

Edited by WhiteLightning91

The Wings PP is pretty predictable and I think thats the problem. They just cycle it until one of the point guys has a shot -- not much movement. Hopefully Bertuzzi can change things.

^^ ya i agree, its pretty much always a point shot, which works sometimes. i wouldnt mind switching it up abit and maybe going for a cross crease pass or a pass in the slot for a quick snap shot.

I wouldn't change a thing on the PP. Kipper has been unreal, but we've kept it simple and gotten shots to the net. That's all you can ask for.

Same with our PK, I've no problems with it.

I wouldn't change a thing on the PP. Kipper has been unreal, but we've kept it simple and gotten shots to the net. That's all you can ask for.

Same with our PK, I've no problems with it.

Kipper has been unreal, but at the same time that isn't going to change. Look at the goalies in the west that we may potentially have to face in the coming rounds. We are going to have to make everything count!

Kipper has been unreal, but at the same time that isn't going to change. Look at the goalies in the west that we may potentially have to face in the coming rounds. We are going to have to make everything count!

yes you are right 100%

The powerplay needs to finish some more chances, but it's not like they are dinking around out there just coughing up the puck and the like. With that being said, they had a few 5-on-3 chances to make it 3/4-0 early. You have to bury those to make it almost impossible to come back on.

On the flip side though, I'm not incredibly worried about it as the 5-on-5 play these first two games has been very solid against a team known for physical play and if they can keep that up.

No worries on the penalty kill, was a goofy deflection goal today and they haven't given Calgary any easy chances short-handed.

Bottom line is the Wings have worked extremely hard 5-on-5 and on the penalty kill which has yielded solid wins the first two games. Hopefully the PP will catch up.

I think I just read in the Detroit Free Press that the Red Wings are looking for a power play and penalty kill that works. If you know who has one please overnight it to Detroit for game 5.

Edited by corvette80

I think I just read in the Detroit Free Press that the Red Wings are looking for a power play and penalty kill that works. If you know who has one please overnight it to Detroit for game 5.

According to an ad in the Detroit News, however, they are also looking for fans who don't hyperventilate after two tough road games against a solid penalty killing team that plays its best at home.

According to an ad in the Detroit News, however, they are also looking for fans who don't hyperventilate after two tough road games against a solid penalty killing team that plays its best at home.

I read that too. In the same article, it mentioned the nhl making the Refs actually allow hockey to be played.

speaking of ad's - The -VS.- comercial talking about 8th seed Oilers beating 1st seed Wings bothers me more than it probably should. Why play that one so many times during a Wings game?

Well we can't win just on the 5 on 5's. We need the special teams to finish it up for us. I think its close to 75% of there goals are off power plays.

I read that too. In the same article, it mentioned the nhl making the Refs actually allow hockey to be played.

There is some really bad calls out there, my favorite is the call on Dats for hooking.

Well we can't win just on the 5 on 5's. We need the special teams to finish it up for us. I think its close to 75% of there goals are off power plays.

There is some really bad calls out there, my favorite is the call on Dats for hooking.

Both of their PP goals came off of 5 on 3 situations. What the hell do you want? Against any NHL team, that's tough. But against the Flames, one of the better PPs in the league, it's almost an impossible task.

Both of their PP goals came off of 5 on 3 situations. What the hell do you want? Against any NHL team, that's tough. But against the Flames, one of the better PPs in the league, it's almost an impossible task.

6 of there 8 goals in this series is on the power play, enough said.

6 of there 8 goals in this series is on the power play, enough said.

You're right, it is enough said. The Flames have a mighty power play. THe Flames PP was better than Detroit's for most of the regular season, so why are people surprised by it now?

edited to correct factual inaccuracy

Edited by aarond

You're right, it is enough said. The Flames have a mighty power play. THe Flames PP was better than Detroit's for most of the regular season, so why are people surprised by it now?

edited to correct factual inaccuracy

Whats is OUR power play at now? I think its 2 for 23. Whoa thats impressive.

Detroit went from 7th overall in the regular season to 3rd last in the playoffs on our penalty kill. The last few seasons the team with the best penalty kill has had tremendous success in the playoffs. What is happening with the Wings?

RK Team PK%

1 NSH 95.6

2 DAL 95.4

3 NYR 94.1

4 VAN 92.0

5 ANA 90.9

6 CGY 89.5

7 SJS 88.9

8 NJD 88.2

9 BUF 86.7

10 OTT 81.8

11 NYI 80.0

12 ATL 79.2

13 PIT 76.2

14 DET 75.0

15 TBL 73.7

16 MIN 73.3

Source: nhl.com

Edited by zaxx

gotta agree with me now, special teams have been HURTIN'.

why was sammy and lang out on the PP all the time anyways? gotta get lids and schneider working the point and we'll put some pucks in the net. also we should try working down low, maybe a couple cross crease passes cuz today they were blocking shots left, right and center!

Edited by Saran