• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

a disturbing stat for the wings since 2002

Rate this topic

Watching the game last night I said "Remember back in the good old days, being down by a goal, late in the game, you KNEW they were going to score, and they knew they were going to score and the other team knew they were going to score, and most of the time they did."

I really miss those days. (especially half-lit at 1:00 am on a work night :blush: )

Red wings are 2-13 in 1-goal games in the playoffs since winning the cup.

It's really not surprising. Will and Heart prevail in 1-goal games. Calgary seemed to beat us in both categories the last 2 games, hence the results.

Game 5 is crucial. We lose, the series is over and the Wings will have squandered a 2 games to 0 lead for the 4th time since 1993. That's pretty bad considering only 37 out of 266 teams have ever done it in the history of the NHL.

I can only imagine how empty the Joe will be next year. Fans already consider the regulars season useless. Just another year where we finished tops in the league in points but failed in the 1st round 3 out of the last 4 years.

Way to shed yourselves of that choker label wings. Looks like you really care.

Watching the game last night I said "Remember back in the good old days, being down by a goal, late in the game, you KNEW they were going to score, and they knew they were going to score and the other team knew they were going to score, and most of the time they did."

lol, that's a good one.

I really miss those days. (especially half-lit at 1:00 am on a work night :blush: )

haha the old days... Mid 80's horrible wings teams... Those are the old days I remember when I think back. Not a chance in hell of doing anything in the playoffs, yet fun nonetheles.

Edited by OsGOD

Guest Crymson

Red wings are 2-13 in 1-goal games in the playoffs since winning the cup.

Gee.. even more disturbing, the entire coaching staff plus the vast majority of the team are no longer around.. umm...

We've hit problems in one-goal games because we've pretty much always faced incredible goaltenders.

Gee.. even more disturbing, the entire coaching staff plus the vast majority of the team are no longer around.. umm...

We've hit problems in one-goal games because we've pretty much always faced incredible goaltenders.

I hate that excuse. Kipersoff was way better in games 1 and 2 than in Calgary.

The Wings have a penchant for making goalies look better than they are because we're so inclined to fire shots from the outside with nobody in front to screen or tip. Every goalie in the NHL (except Osgood) can stop shots from 30 feet out with nothing blocking their view.

The Wings aren't working hard enough. Plain and simple.

We make the other teams goalies look great.

Wrist shots from the point getting shots blocked all over the ice.

We dont score the gritty playoff type goals.

We always shoot from the point, more often than not they are blocked.

Pretty simple really. Ever notice how many blocked shots the opposing teams have on us in the last buch of playoffs?

Is it because they are all great shot blocking teams? No, we make it easy for them to block shots.

Simple really.

I can only imagine how empty the Joe will be next year. Fans already consider the regulars season useless. Just another year where we finished tops in the league in points but failed in the 1st round 3 out of the last 4 years.

Way to shed yourselves of that choker label wings. Looks like you really care.

I'd really hope no matter what the outcome of this years playoffs that the you are wrong about the Joe being empty. Overall they have been one of the most successful teams the last decade. A handfull of President Trophies, 16 STRAIGHT years of playoffs and 3 STANLEY CUPS? I'm a Red Wing fan so I don't feel bad saying this, but Wings fans have it pretty easy (at least since '97).

Die hard Leafs fans have been waiting since what? 1967 to win another cup? Chicago even longer, and plenty of teams have never even won. And I lived in AZ for 22 years and lemme tell ya, it's a lot harder to root for a team with no history and very little playoff appearences let alone success.

Guest hockeygal

So if, we do and a big If right now. I really don't see us going much farther after this series anyway. Not with Hasek in Net...He gets rattled and takes stupid penalties...He has cost us 2 games in Calgary,(March 20, 07, and last night) and I am afraid that the Flames are in his head now and he gets rattled quite easy. And a goalie whose head is not in the game, will lose us games.

Why can't the wings block shots like the Flames, I mean get in front of the Shot, don't stand there covering up your jewels, and let the puck go thru...GOD..put some effort into it wings,

As for Kiprusoff, he is amazing..watch for him to probably steal the game for the Flames tomorrow...that is what great goaltenders do....I am very worried about this game tomorrw...We lose tomorrow, there is no way we win at the Dome, with that Crowd...Why can't the Fans be like that at the Joe.

its to bad we didnt get luongo , we'd have no problems

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Goaltending is never the problem for the Wings.

BTW, "Hank" saying the Wings had no heart in the last two games or that Calgary had more is bull. Just because you don't win doesn't mean you didn't want to or that you had no heart. The Wings have plenty of it. Special teams are the only thing not going for them. They own the Flames in every other Calgary.

The fact that you are predicting the JLA being empty next season and that the Wings are going to so called 'choke' again is real laughable. It's fans like you that make the rest of us look horrible. :thumbdown:

If we had acquired Luongo, we wouldn't have had to worry about resigning Pav, he would have been part of the deal. I am not going to pretend to know what the problem is, whatever it may be, it needs to get fixed. And yes, there is perfect reason to panic, look at the track record of this team since winning the last cup.

We have been 2-2 before in a playoff series and still come out to win. As I still believe, if we can get this late start int he playoffs and rally back and win, I would think it would be more likely that we would be playing for the Cup. Remember 2002? We came back and beat 'Couver. We need the heart of this time to be found again, and its really tough without Stevie on the ice to rally the troops. Just because we blew a 2-0 lead means its a race to two games now. If we win Game 5, we win the series, if we lose this game, we lose the series, thats the Stat of this team since winning the Cup in 2002. Oh, how about Colorado in 2002?

Right now the Wings are down, but not out. Lets focus on Saturday's game. Everything rides on this game.

Guest hockeygal

It is quite a horrendous stat. However, it doesn't take much for something like that to change in playoff hockey.

Exactly :clap:

some of u sound like u have no more faith for the wings against the flames. I mean they seem to want it more badly this year. I know they still arent blocking shots but I really have never seen them do it that much. I still have much faith in the wings. We can do it, i know it!

Guest Crymson

I hate that excuse. Kipersoff was way better in games 1 and 2 than in Calgary.

The Wings have a penchant for making goalies look better than they are because we're so inclined to fire shots from the outside with nobody in front to screen or tip. Every goalie in the NHL (except Osgood) can stop shots from 30 feet out with nothing blocking their view.

The Wings aren't working hard enough. Plain and simple.

Evidently you haven't been closely watching the series--nor that in '04--as you still can't spell Kiprusoff's name despite singing his praises.

Nice try.

If we had acquired Luongo, we wouldn't have had to worry about resigning Pav, he would have been part of the deal. I am not going to pretend to know what the problem is, whatever it may be, it needs to get fixed. And yes, there is perfect reason to panic, look at the track record of this team since winning the last cup.

OMG LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has got to be the most SURREAL thing I have EVER seen on these forums!!

You're more than free to have an anxiety attack, though I don't know what such panic will accomplish. Are you on the team?

Edited by Crymson

On the positive side we have dominated 5 on 5, though we don't have the goals to show for it. Overall we have outplayed the Flames on the ice.

On the negative side:

Our special teams are as bad or worse as they were during the year. I blame Babcock for that since he had ample time to work on it and make it a priority.

Our 2nd line is not a cup winning 2nd line by any stretch of the imagination. Again, Babs needs to play productive players in key roles. That means relegating Sammie and Lang to the ice time commensurate with their play. In the other direction, how do you not play Flip 2nd line minutes? As a bench coach Babcock is a moron.

Our best players have not been our best players. Nick and Hank have been disappointing in my opinion.

Lastly, Hasek cannot match Kipper, Luongo or Nabbie in ability at this stage of his career. We will not win western conf. series on goaltending because all of them are as good or better than Hasek.

After all that, I think we can still win this series as long as Babcock starts to manage this team properly.

Let's hear some REAL reasons to be worried. Seems to be a lot of upset people here. So what, it's 2-2. Gee... we are playing the team with THE BEST home record in the league and one of THE WORST road records and they won 2 at home. Guess what, we have the 2nd best home record & a decent away record too. So who cares if it's 2-2... this is a classic case of why it's good to have home-ice advantage.

The ONLY way I'll get worried is if Calgary wins tomorrow's game 5. Because, I give us a 5% chance of winning the 2nd half of a back-to-back series in the Saddledome on Sunday.

So, we win tomorrow, then this will go to 7... all home-team wins.

I do remember those days.......:::sigh::::

Remember when the special teams really didn't mean sh*& in playoff NHL Hockey? Back in the day? Remember? If there was call - it was like OH MY GOD - what happened? Did he pull a gun? Did he actually squeeze the trigger? Damn - he did?!? ::sigh::: 2 minutes.......coach is gonna punch him. "C'mon PK! (Who is even on our PK?)"