• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

Here's a PP idea!

Rate this topic

The Wings were 1-7 on the PP in game 1, scored their only PP goal in game 2 on a 5-on-3, and haven't scored since. I wouldn't say they've just been struggling for two away games, because its not the case.

Tell me more about this supposed success the WIngs have had this year. They were number 1 on the PP last season and didn't even crack the top 10 this year.

If Hank was 100% healthy I wouldn't be suggesting this. Thats my point.

Hmmm I wasn't even thinking that way. lol

Guest Agalloch

In that first game, Schneider scored a goal about two seconds after a PP ended. That's essentially 2 for 7, and they also had a 5 on 3 that they didn't care about at all, as we've often seen this year. The Wings don't try anymore once they get a big lead.

And I think you're missing my point. Remember when Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Holmstrom were all on the same PP line? Goals left and right. After Zetterberg went down, the PP sucked, but you must've forgotten that Zetterberg got injured, obviously. Or you forgot that they weren't on the same line for most of the year.

I'm simply asking you to explain to me how this is an improvement. Replacing one of your best offensive defensemen with a guy that has no shot from the point, and has equal, if not worse puckhandling skills than the beforementioned defensemen. Not only that, but you take away a player who was ridiculously productive on the PP before he was hurt, away from what he was doing best.

He's not going to be at the top of his game yet. Putting him on the point would only make the entire situation worse.

Hmmm I wasn't even thinking that way. lol

No worries. The thing is, if Z was playing at the level he's capable of, I wouldn't even dream of moving him. The whole point of this is to get the PP back rolling, and have a dependable defensive Z out there to move the puck.

Nothing more.

Guest Agalloch

Lidstrom and Schneider haven't been the problems on the PP. They've been great. Replacing one of them with Zetterberg would make that worse, and the forwards would be worse.

I know I keep repeating this, but it doesn't even make sense to me.

Maybe Z could set up a few one timers for once. How many GOOD one timers have we had on the PP all season? 2? Lebda had a nice one in one of the last few games..

In that first game, Schneider scored a goal about two seconds after a PP ended. That's essentially 2 for 7, and they also had a 5 on 3 that they didn't care about at all, as we've often seen this year. The Wings don't try anymore once they get a big lead.

I didn't even bring that one up. Thanks for further reinforcing my point.

And I think you're missing my point. Remember when Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Holmstrom were all on the same PP line? Goals left and right. After Zetterberg went down, the PP sucked, but you must've forgotten that Zetterberg got injured, obviously. Or you forgot that they weren't on the same line for most of the year.

Remember.........that's the key word there.

Sidenote: Don't insult my intelligence. I haven't missed a Wings game since the Lockout. Also, don't be a jackass about it. Of course I *remember* what they did before Z went down. Since Z's been back, how many PP goals does that unit have out of how many opportunities?

I'm simply asking you to explain to me how this is an improvement. Replacing one of your best offensive defensemen with a guy that has no shot from the point, and has equal, if not worse puckhandling skills than the beforementioned defensemen. Not only that, but you take away a player who was ridiculously productive on the PP before he was hurt, away from what he was doing best.

He's not going to be at the top of his game yet. Putting him on the point would only make the entire situation worse.

I've already explained how this would be a benefit. If you don't get it by now, I'm not going to waste my time restating the same thing I did on the first page of this thread.

Guest Agalloch

There is no benefit. You're clearly weakening the team in many ways. Also, I think you need to learn what a small sample size is.

I also fail to see how I reinforced your point. The Wings being lazy when the game was already won means those PP opps. were useless and shouldn't even count.

Lidstrom and Schneider haven't been the problems on the PP. They've been great. Replacing one of them with Zetterberg would make that worse, and the forwards would be worse.

I know I keep repeating this, but it doesn't even make sense to me.

The way things are currently going, they haven't been the solution either.

Again, I'm not advocating keeping this for the remainder of the playoffs, just possibly to shake things up on the PP. If you don't like Z on the point, let's discuss someone else, because Z-Schneids can't be out there every second of every PP so you'll still need someone to man that 2nd unit. Give me your suggestions on how to fix the PP.........I haven't heard any yet.

There is no benefit. You're clearly weakening the team in many ways. Also, I think you need to learn what a small sample size is.

I also fail to see how I reinforced your point. The Wings being lazy when the game was already won means those PP opps. were useless and shouldn't even count.

I'm done arguing with you after this post.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

No worries. The thing is, if Z was playing at the level he's capable of, I wouldn't even dream of moving him. The whole point of this is to get the PP back rolling, and have a dependable defensive Z out there to move the puck.

Nothing more.

Which you're completely right about. Obviously if Hank is 100% you want him out there up front doing his thing. I don't know what I was thinking. LOL

What about Flip, though?

Am I getting confused with someone else, or does Flip rarely get any PP time? If not, I think they should try him at the point.

Guest Agalloch

How would I fix the PP? I'd leave it alone. SMALL SAMPLE SIZE.

And I think it's probably good that you're done *trying* to prove your point, because you clearly are having trouble doing so to me.

And I think it's probably good that you're done *trying* to prove your point, because you clearly are having trouble doing so to me.

Why would you leave something alone that is clearly not working?

Which you're completely right about. Obviously if Hank is 100% you want him out there up front doing his thing. I don't know what I was thinking. LOL

What about Flip, though?

Am I getting confused with someone else, or does Flip rarely get any PP time? If not, I think they should try him at the point.

Flip is an interesting idea. To be completely honest with you, I don't know how he would do out there, IMO. He doesn't have a night-and-day better slap shot than Z, but he might be effective back there while Z is up front.

I'm not sure how he'd adapt to it at this point though.

What about Flip, though?

Filppula will never get PP time. For being one of the Wings best players lately, he hardly even get's a regular shift.

I would like to see him on the PP though. He moves the puck well and has very good vision when it comes to passing and setting up plays.

Anything has got to better than Lang on the PP. Instead of finding a hole in coverage, Lang tries to pass through the guys legs. Naturally the puck is intercepted, cleared down the ice, and I find myself screaming at Lang and saying he sucks. :P

But, by brining this thing with Lang up, I hope this doesn't turn into another Lang based topic. We have enough of those as it is.

2-22 on the PP thus far this series......Great plan to leave it alone. In the playoffs all you have is a small sample size. What teams did in the regular season doesn't mean sh*t.

You're not proving much yourself.

Lidstrom Schnieder , and Lebda Chelios.

Keep D-men out there , sammys terrible , and Zetterberg should be a forward. it dont matter though , Babs will keep Sammy out there in any case

I miss Kronwall

I forgot all about Kronwall.

We havent missed a beat without him

FIrst, here is why you don't split of Nick and Matty on the PP unit. Doing that makes it easier for the PK unit to defend the booming shot from the point. Having the two of them together makes this much more difficult. I am all for shaking things up to see if we can get it going, but splitting up those two just isn't the right option. I would purpose that you leave the first PP unit intacted.

For the second PP unit I would leave Nick and Matty out there. It's 2 minutes usually not a whole lot of skating involved, and these guys can handle the extra time. In a jam, you could throw in Lebda and Cheli. Up front, I'm just not sold on Lang. The biggest knock on him is the amout of turnovers he has. The PP is all about possession, so I think he has to be left off. I was also stunned to see Cleary on the PP in game 4. Yeah, he played a strong game in game 3, but I just don't see how that translates into PP time. But then again, I'm not a coach in the NHL either. On this second PP unit, my forward line would be Bert - Flip - Rex. (I am opting to dress Rex and sit Sammy)

Bottom line, our special teams have been anything but special. Let's hope Babs can get something going!

You mean besides our horrible power play and the use of Sammy on D, right?

When has Kronwall ever helped the PP? He was horrible at controlling the puck, and his one goal meant he wasn't an offesnive powerhouse either.

Still better than Samulesson though. Kronwall was a great physical player, and I loved the big hits he'd lay on guys. We could use a physical guy like him on the blueline against Calgary.

I love this theory and have been saying it since early last week. Lebda is another choice, but his ability to keep the puck in the zone when it comes around on the boards / dasher is lacking. I think this is the main reason Babs hasnt put him out there for more time. Z can one-time with the best of them, and can out-deke any opposing pk guy that comes to challenge out high. This would cause the pk to stay down low, and that in turn would allow him to move in closer to the circle and drop it back to the point or cross-crease it for one timers.

Great idea!