• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BertuzziTheNewWing

Should We Keep Bertuzzi?

Rate this topic

Major deadline acquisitions (by Holland) that didn't come back to Detroit the next year:

Dmitri Mironov, 1998 (retired 2001)

Wendel Clark, 1999 (retired 2000)

Ulf Samuelsson, 1999 (retired 2000)

Bill Ranford, 1999 (retired 2000)

Major deadline acquisitions (by Holland) that stuck around at least until the next season:

Chris Chelios, 1999

Mathieu Schneider, 2003

Robert Lang, 2004

Dmitri Mironov is the only notable player Holland has acquired at the deadline that did not return who played more than one season after leaving. Mironov was the 5th defenseman on the depth chart as a Wing--behind Anders Eriksson.

So of the seven notable players Holland has picked up at the deadline, three are still Wings and have played a combined twelve full seasons with Detroit, compared to the total six post-Wings seasons played by deadline acquistions who did not return. The trend seems to point to Bertuzzi and Calder being resigned.

Its too bad we didnt pick up Wendel Clark when he was younger , I really liked that guy.

How would we sign those players, if they retired the year after we acquired them?

None of them retired that same summer...Ranford, Samuelsson, and Clark each played one more season, and Mironov played three...none returned in a Wings sweater.

I think that given a full off-season where he doesn't have an injury or need some type of surgery done, Bert could return to form and be a force next year for the Wings.

I'm pretty sure Lang is going to go, meaning Filp will move up to the 2nd line most likely.

How about a line of Cleary - Filp - Bert?

:D

I think that given a full off-season where he doesn't have an injury or need some type of surgery done, Bert could return to form and be a force next year for the Wings.

I'm pretty sure Lang is going to go, meaning Filp will move up to the 2nd line most likely.

How about a line of Cleary - Filp - Bert?

:D

i actually wouldnt be surprised to see bert in a ducks uniform

burke is in love with this guys since his days in Van.

i highly doubt it though with having to resign jiggy, perry and penner

this could be a pricey offseason without even makin any additions

i hope bert and calder resign with the wings !! calder has got to be hurting right now , he just doesnt seem to be the same player that they picked up at the trade deadline ....i think bert will really get his game going in the duck series !!! go wings!!!

The biggest thing is dependent on his performance through the remainder of the playoffs. Chances are Holland will sign him depending on his price. Forget not we have to give up draft picks if we do indeed resign hi. Cap wise the Wings are sitting good for next season. With the cap expected to rise upwards of 48 million. I believe we are sitting about 30 million but will need a starting goalie!

I think the biggest thing is $$$. If he's willing to take less I know the Wing's org will realize that he's come off a big injury and be willing to give him a shot...if it fits in their budget.

I saw more Bert jersies in his first playing week at the Joe than I've ever seen of a newbie player who might not even sign. The Wings will take this into consideration. People like Bert and his size...that will factor in.

:yowza: Two in yourbush maybe! :blush:

Sorry - - completely classless.. just what jumped immediately to my 'male' mind. :lol:

That is horrible...I'm going to have to withhold your sig now :sly:

At this point, I'm kinda torn. Some games, he looks like classic big Bert, driving hard to the net and setting up plays. Yet on other nights he looks completely lost, can't handle the puck well, and even looks injured out there. To me, it depends on how he fairs during this series (as well as the next if we make it)

as for Calder, I'm really hoping he's injured cause he's playing like crap right now.

I think Todd has played well. You have to remember he's missed most of the year due to his injuries. The deeper into the playoffs we go, the more comfortable and effective he will become. My preference would be to sign him to a multi-year deal. His family is close (Ontario), and he really has the opportunity to shine on a team where he's not expected to carry the franchise on his shoulders. The Wings will win the cup this year, and Bertuzzi will be instrumental in the last two series to get it done, cementing his return to Hockeytown.

Absolutely. However, he hasn't recovered to top form yet... so I'd hope Kenny would do a Hasek-esque incentive based contract just to be safe.

With Bert, Franzen, Grigs, Markov, and Lils... that's a lot of hitting power. Hell, even Pavel 'Byng' Datsyuk has made some great hits this series.

as for Calder, I'm really hoping he's injured cause he's playing like crap right now.

If calder does indeed turn out to be injured... than I hope we give him more of a chance. Again though, after a crappy year w/Philly & a limited playoffs this year... I'd hope we sign him short term & for a reasonable price.

If he's not injured & just playing like crap... then let him try his UFA status, but extend an invite to camp on a tryout basis if he wants to stay.

I think that if you're in the office, you gotta at the very least offer him a 1 year gig and see what he does in regular season play. He's good, he fills a void for us, he has a great attitude so far, let's see where this can go!

Bert should stay and probably will. I think he's honestly found a home here in Detroit, he sounds like he really likes the guys around him. I realize if he had his choice he would love to be on Naslund's wing again, but I think he'd sign here with no problem. And the Wings giving up some picks is no big deal at all. Some of our best picks have been late rounders, I.E. Zetts and Dats, so Kenny is probably not going to take that into account when it comes to Bert. He's going to ask him if he's interested and if so he's going to definitely offer him something.

Plus Lang will be gone so theres cap space...and I want Calder to stay but it just doesn't look like it. Kyle had been great and I think he has a broken hand, but I'd like to see him back as well, he'd sign for very little I bet.

I think the biggest thing is $$$. If he's willing to take less I know the Wing's org will realize that he's come off a big injury and be willing to give him a shot...if it fits in their budget.

I saw more Bert jersies in his first playing week at the Joe than I've ever seen of a newbie player who might not even sign. The Wings will take this into consideration. People like Bert and his size...that will factor in.

I agree with you, it will be all about the money. But if I was his agent I would promote his history, send out his portfolio and doctors’ reports to show this guy can be what he use to be. Now if he doesn't receive great offers, the best scenario would be sign for 1 year and show off his talent. Then come back for the big money. Or the Wings could offer an incentive laden contract that offers him the opportunity to make his $$$.

Guest jaytan

How is this even a question? A few years ago he was quite possibly the best player in the Western Conference. He'll get back to his old form, or close to it. Let's sign him and let's definitely dump Lang.

How is this even a question? A few years ago he was quite possibly the best player in the Western Conference. He'll get back to his old form, or close to it. Let's sign him and let's definitely dump Lang.

Jay!!!! Long time no see!!! Its Cary

I'd sign Lang over 2 years at 2 million bucks :thumbup:

My dad had a similar back surgery to his and its pretty painful and takes a while to recover. My dad gives him props to play.

He's a big guy and if he wants to finish in Detroit let him.

If he gets to 100%, we'll be thankful!