• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

Wings fans acting like babies

Rate this topic

At what point in that video has Iginla been swung at?

On the youtube video, the best view is at about 53 seconds into the clip. It's a half assed swing, but it's a swing. What it looks like to me is Hasek started the swing, but came to his senses before it was too late.

On the youtube video, the best view is at about 53 seconds into the clip. It's a half assed swing, but it's a swing. What it looks like to me is Hasek started the swing, but came to his senses before it was too late.

He motioned like he wanted to, but never did. His "swing," which wouldn't have broken an egg, was Hasek thinking better of taking action.

:rolleyes: please, Hasek knew what he was doing the whole time, at the most he was trying to make Iginla flinch.

He motioned like he wanted to, but never did. His "swing," which wouldn't have broken an egg, was Hasek thinking better of taking action.

Hah, yeah, let's take Haseks word for it. It was a swing, I don't see why it is such an issue. As I've said before the ref obviously though Iggy was in some sort of danger from Dom, as he blew the play down right away.

Please take off your homer blinders, Hasek DID swing at Iggy. No, it wasn't nearly as bad as McLennan, but is was a swing.

It looked like he was going to swing at Iginla but then slowed it down and ended up just pointing his stick at him. He did not follow through, so I would say it wasn't a swing. Cocking back a fist is not that same as throwing the punch.

Hah, yeah, let's take Haseks word for it.

I haven't quoted Hasek. But his intention's were rather obvious; an aborted swing isn't a swing.

It was a swing, I don't see why it is such an issue.

I'm merely attempted to dispel your false belief that Hasek swung at Iginla. Burninator made an excellent analogy to help explain this.

As I've said before the ref obviously though Iggy was in some sort of danger from Dom, as he blew the play down right away.

Hasek immediately turned away from Iginla and back to the play after his non-swing, instants before the play was blown dead. Clearly, that referee was in the wrong if he felt Iginla was in danger. I don't disagree with the unsportsmanlike call, though.

I haven't quoted Hasek. But his intention's were rather obvious; an aborted swing isn't a swing.

I'm merely attempted to dispel your false belief that Hasek swung at Iginla. Burninator made an excellent analogy to help explain this.

Hasek immediately turned away from Iginla and back to the play after his non-swing, instants before the play was blown dead. Clearly, that referee was in the wrong if he felt Iginla was in danger. I don't disagree with the unsportsmanlike call, though.

After this, I'm done debating the Hasek swing.

First, yes, I realize that now, when I first read that post, I thought it said mentioned, not motioned. Watch the video again, the intent to blow the whistle, why do you think Dom turned away from Iggy, and look directly at the ref? Could it be that the ref may have yelled something to Dom? Bottom line is this, Dom swung. It doesn't matter if he followed through or not. And if he didn't swing, then why would you be for an unsportsmenlike? That doesn't make any sense.

First, yes, I realize that now, when I first read that post, I thought it said mentioned, not motioned. Watch the video again, the intent to blow the whistle, why do you think Dom turned away from Iggy, and look directly at the ref?

He turned away because the play was still on. He looked at the ref because he knew he was in s***.

Could it be that the ref may have yelled something to Dom?

Perhaps? Unless you have some proof, I'd rather not make an appeal to ignorance.

And if he didn't swing, then why would you be for an unsportsmenlike? That doesn't make any sense.

Why not? He did motion to make a swing, and ended up pointing at Iginla. He was clearly upset and made a dumb move.

He turned away because the play was still on. He looked at the ref because he knew he was in s***.

Perhaps? Unless you have some proof, I'd rather not make an appeal to ignorance.

Why not? He did motion to make a swing, and ended up pointing at Iginla. He was clearly upset and made a dumb move.

Alright, last one, I swear this time.

I wasn't talking about buring the play, right when the whistle went, Dom starts yelling at the ref. This would indicate that there was some kind of exchange going on. Dom wouldn't have started yelling at the ref if he didn't know the penalty was on him. Calgary has the puck when the play is blown down, Detroit doesn't even come close to touching the puck on that clip, so there is no reason for Dom to believe the penalty is on Detroit. That is unless someone said something. That someone would most likely be the ref, as he was the only one who knew who was getting the penalty.

As for your defence of the penalty called, that's lame. You admit he started a swing, but just because he let up, it isn't a swing? This isn't baseball, it doesn't matter if he 'crosses home plate with the swing', it's still a swing.

so there is no reason for Dom to believe the penalty is on Detroit. That is unless someone said something. That someone would most likely be the ref, as he was the only one who knew who was getting the penalty.

Sure there is. Dom knew he did a no-no, and he knew what it was about. No proof that something "had" to be said.

As for your defence of the penalty called, that's lame. You admit he started a swing, but just because he let up, it isn't a swing?

So there's no difference if Langkow ***** that fist and actually gives Lebda a concussion, or cocked it but decided against it? Sure there is. Ask Lebda.

If Dom was seriously intending on mashing Iggy's face (and that's if), then him swinging and stopping is definitely a lot different than him sending Jarome to the lockerroom. Again, go ask Iginla if there's anything different between him being bloodied or him going back to playing after the whistle blows

Edited by Flip-check

Alright, last one, I swear this time.

If you're done with the topic, you probably shouldn't bother with a response, as I have no incentive to stop posting myself. :P

I wasn't talking about buring the play, right when the whistle went, Dom starts yelling at the ref. This would indicate that there was some kind of exchange going on. Dom wouldn't have started yelling at the ref if he didn't know the penalty was on him. Calgary has the puck when the play is blown down, Detroit doesn't even come close to touching the puck on that clip, so there is no reason for Dom to believe the penalty is on Detroit. That is unless someone said something. That someone would most likely be the ref, as he was the only one who knew who was getting the penalty.

I'm sure Dom knew the penalty was on him. He did just go through the whole pointing shenanigans. He still turned to the play instants before the whistle went. He had no intention of following Iginla around.

As for your defence of the penalty called, that's lame. You admit he started a swing, but just because he let up, it isn't a swing?

Um, that's exactly right. If you start to do something, but then stop, you didn't do it. Kinda like Burninator's analogy of cocking your fist but not throwing a punch. Except this is with a stick so it's a bit more serious. But in the end he never took the swing, and turned back to the play before it was whistled dead.

HOH, I actually think there is a better analogy.

Its more like Hasek looks like he is doing one thing but he is really doing something else.

He uses his stick like he is going to swing it at Iggy, but he (rather than changing his mind) is actually only trying to scare him.

If it was not realistic to some degree then it wouldn't work, however, he clearly never intends to hit nor cause injury.

As per the rest of the thread I must admit that I am frustrated.

Ok, lots of "s***" happens in hockey, and there were lots of bad calls (non-calls) again. Many of them related to things the NHL says it wants to get rid of, but like the original poster (but not trying to sound like as much of a dick) how long should we complain about this?

Also, the people who are saying "the sucker punch caused a concussion" I find your statement extremely embarassing. It was a classless move, and it deserved a penalty especially if the botched hip-check was going to get one. But, seriously, if you think "headaches" means "concussion" you are silly.

I don't want to hear another bit about "intent to injur" in reference to this moment in playoff hockey.

For Game 5, the refs were a joke.

I can see why Iginla didn't get the suspension.

And if ppl wanna think the backup goalie wasn't intentionally slashing thats their problem.

The dirty play and cheap shots is getting really old. The players need to play hockey. The punch on Lebda was uncalled for.

And the Flames players admitted they were starting fights so the next game would be better.

The most annoying part of this whole thing, is flames fans are gonna say we intentionally would hit Kipper and at times, players can't help falling near the net, thats gravity for ya.

I'd like to mention the Darian Hatcher elbow to the head on Matthew Lombardi in 2004 that concussed him for 1.5 seasons. Hatcher only got a 2 game suspension for that.

The suspensions given out this year were done so based on Collin Campbell's pre-playoff meeting about discipline this year and so the Flames were made the example which is how it should be. I feel bad for the coach though (although Playfair is not very popular amongst Flames fans anyway) since the 25K is a big chunk of change for a coach who makes a mere fraction of what the players under him make.

Edited by Hack&Lube

Guest Tunbo Batman

and a hundred grand is a lot of dough for a team that never advances in the playoffs :P

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I think that any punishment dished out isn't enough for some of you.

Suspending Playfair is the most ridiculous thing I have read today. I can't believe some of you are thinking that is a just punishment. A coach has never been suspended for something so minor. I don't even want to argue about it. Pull your head out of your butt and calm down. You cannot say for sure whether or not Playfair made Mclennan go out there and actively try to hurt someone. I cannot say for sure whether or not Playfair did not send him out to hurt someone. The evidence is very sketchy at best.

An increasing monetary punishment doesn't seem to be effective anyways. I think the amount the NHL fined sends the message. It's not a like a coach gets fined 25k and doesn't change anything because his threshold for changing is at 35k or 50k or 75k or whatever. If the fine was 10k then I could understand if you were upset because that is less than pocket change.

Of course I wouldn't like it if your back went out and slashed someone. Would I blame Babs? No. I would put the blame squarely on the player. How can you blame the coach for an isolated incidence? And if you do the rules state that a fine is in order not a suspension. And if you think the rules need to be stiffer, this incident is not enough to make them stiffer.

Some of you are over reacting so much it's quite funny. But I don't see the point in bitching and moaning now. The decision has been handed down the punishment has been received. I don't the Detroit players are as mad as your about it. They won't be thinking about it today as much as you are.

This is the problem I have with alot of my fellow Wings fans. They act like a bunch of *******. You're absolutely right about some of the overreacting and downright foolish suggestions for penalizing the Flames. Suspend Playfair? When was the last time a coach was suspended? How often are coaches suspended? Then think about how many games over the years have ended ugly do to lopsided scores. Coaches don't get suspended. Coaches get fined for not controlling their team and organizations get fined for not controlling their coaches. Justice was served there. Wings fans all balk at that 125K like its nothing when a number of NHL analysts have said they found the fines to be excessive. Playfair and Flames get fined and it still isn't enough for some people.

As for Iginla, its laughable to think he deserved a suspension. WTF are people going to suspend him for? For trying to instigate s*** with players like Zetterberg and Chelios and Schneider. Oh, for heaven's sake somebody cross checked one of our guys or tried to get phsyical with somebody, WE DEMAND SUSPENSIONS!

Show me a player who got suspended for doing what Iginla did....ie, a weak cross check and a shot to the ribs with his top hand holding his stick. Oh, the horror of it all!!!!

Langkow, i think in the 3 different series i've been watching i've counted roughly 27 cheap shot punches to the head and face area. How many suspensions have I seen handed down? Exactly 1 (Brad May).

Justice was served. It doesn't matter that McLennan is a backup, hack. He's the perpetrator and the perp got suspended. The NHL punishes players bassakwardsly by waiting to see how hurt the victim is. I think its a dumb way to do it but its how it is done. That being said, since its done that way and they aren't changing it, then the appropriate punishment was doled out. IMO, if McLennan got 10 games i'd be fine with that too. Either way somebody is going to ***** about it. I think 5 games was fine. 10 would've been fine as well. Anything else is just overreacting.

WINGS WIN! I love all my fellow Wings fans!!!!!! however some of you are setting new standards for homerism with your inability to realize this s*** happens in hockey all the time and aside from the McLennan slash, pretty much all the other stuff has been par for the course, especially when it comes to the playoffs.

Well, 5 was now reduced to 1 as the playoffs are over... or does it carry over to the preseason?

I'm pretty sure that suspensions don't count in the preseason, but I have been wrong before.

I think the first 4 of the regular season is what will happen.

I'm fine with all of it except Langfag not getting anything. Maybe the refs didn't see it, but the league sure as hell did, and did nothing. 1 game would've been enough for me.

peace,

esteef

Somewhere, a kindergarten teacher is crying.

I'd like to mention the Darian Hatcher elbow to the head on Matthew Lombardi in 2004 that concussed him for 1.5 seasons. Hatcher only got a 2 game suspension for that.

The suspensions given out this year were done so based on Collin Campbell's pre-playoff meeting about discipline this year and so the Flames were made the example which is how it should be. I feel bad for the coach though (although Playfair is not very popular amongst Flames fans anyway) since the 25K is a big chunk of change for a coach who makes a mere fraction of what the players under him make.

I could be wrong, but doesn't alot of the time the team pay those fines? Maybe they won't in the case that they have there own to worry about.

edit:Spelling

Edited by JSchlenske

Please take off your homer blinders, Hasek DID swing at Iggy. No, it wasn't nearly as bad as McLennan, but is was a swing.

To me it seemed more like a point/taunt/fake swing type of move. It made Hasek look stupid more than menacing to me. Wasn't surprised he got a penalty out of it.

While I thought Game 5 got ugly, it was not as ugly as the Ducks vs Wild got. The punishment was about right to me. I'm just glad the two handed slash didn't go any higher on Franzen. Could've been bad.

I am glad Hatcher no longer plays for the Wings. I hate that guy.

I think the league for the most part called things as they saw it. They missed the sucker punch to Lebda and that should have been at least a penalty and game (by their own rules).

However, the non-calls are not what bug me, what bugs me is Calgary's complete lack of integrity.

When Hasek dove earlier in the season our coach called him out for it and told him not to do it anymore.

From http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0315/1128/rss16

The Flames try to justify everything they've done.

Playfair on McLennan:

"That's the competitive spirit of the players," Playfair said. "You look around the playoffs (and) that's not an infrequent deal at the end of games like that. The most important thing, though, is you have to realize that's not winning hockey games. Bringing that energy to the game in the right manner gives you a better chance."

Bulls***. Taking a baseball swing at a player had not happend in the playoffs at all except for McLennan.

Langkow on Lebda:

"I'm not sure what he was thinking going down like that, but it's the way this series has been. Some stuff has gone on you don't want to see, but that's the way it is and you just have to put that out of your mind," Langkow said Sunday morning.

"A guy (Lebda) does that, he has to expect something to happen. If you just let that slide, he's not going to think twice about doing it again."

It was a hip check and Lebda hit the boards pretty hard afterward. Langkow lost his temper and sucker-punched Lebda. The hip check was legal, so WTF is Langkow talking about?

Screw you Calgary, at least have the balls to call our your goalie and say he acted like a punk. Oh well, the series is over anyway, and all of our players will be playing in the next one, that's the important thing.

Edited by Inultus