• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwinger4747

Best thing about round 2, playing an AMERICAN team.

Rate this topic

Too much griping about officiating around here. Look, the team just won in Western Canada in an elimination game, in OT, no less, that was officiated by Don Van Massenhoven. It was a well officiated game and the refs didn't job the Wings at all. It's time to move on about this subject already.

The commentators are morons, behind the mask? :rolleyes: more like behind the ass. But as someone who doesn't have Vs., doesn't like to go to the bar everyday, there really is no substitute for CBC. At least a game every night. I can stomach the commentary and bias, in exchange for the games and great coverage. NBC and FSN always so quick to cut to commercial. As ridiculous as Grapes is, I'd listen to him everytime over Bill Clements lame ass. I wonder if he's bringing tissues to Forsbergs retirement annoncement.

Too much griping about officiating around here. Look, the team just won in Western Canada in an elimination game, in OT, no less, that was officiated by Don Van Massenhoven. It was a well officiated game and the refs didn't job the Wings at all. It's time to move on about this subject already.

I agree, but the lame Bert hold at the begining of o.t.?.... come on

You're right, this game out there was done very well... and it's about time!

I'm glad we won, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the Wings didn't get jobbed by the refs. Granted, it could have been much worse, but of the 4 Wings penalties, Samuelsson's "boarding" call was weak (he got pushed into the Calgirly player and didn't try to soften the impact); Lang's OT hooking call was really weak, as there was virtially no contact; holding call on Bertuzzi was a well executed dive by the CAL player; and Homer's "goalie interference" call was absolutely atrocious. Too bad for them, that the Flames were too clueless offensively, and couldn't take advantage of the refs' largesse.

On the other side, of the 5 CAL penalties, only the hooking call on Primeau wasn't painfully obvious.

Edited by sibiriak

I'm glad we won, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the Wings didn't get jobbed by the refs. Granted, it could have been much worse, but of the 4 Wings penalties, Samuelsson's "boarding" call was weak (he got pushed into the Calgirly player and didn't try to soften the impact); Lang's OT hooking call was really weak, as there was virtially no contact; holding call on Bertuzzi was a well executed dive by the CAL player; and Homer's "goalie interference" call was absolutely atrocious. Too bad for them, that the Flames were too clueless offensively, and couldn't take advantage of the refs' largesse.

On the other side, of the 5 CAL penalties, only the hooking call on Primeau wasn't painfully obvious.

Agree. Just because we won doesn't make the s***ty officiating disappear. It was terrible the entire series as well as other series' I've been watching thus far. Even the announcers were ripping the calls last night so it's not just us "griping".

esteef

The refs weren't AS bad last night, but a few of those calls against the Wings should have never happened. Maybe against Dallas(hopefully) or San Jose, the calls won't be so bad against them. Of course I'd rather see Dallas win tonight, just because it seems the Wings are in Turco's head, and I'd love to see them take him out.

Kinda OT here, but Sharks fans(alot of them) are already cocky. Saying the same BS that Calgary and their fans were, about the Wings being soft and it would be over in 4 games should they end up playing the Wings next round. I know there's alot of idiots on HF Boards, but I had to share this gem with everyone:

Detroit is the perfect opponent for us. Bunch of European softies that our physical guys can steamroll over and pound into submission. Remember McLaren crushing Lebda with that brutal hip check? Absolutely slammed him into the boards. Can't wait to see Thornton and Michalek skate cirlces around Lidstrom.
:rolleyes:

If you go to any fan forum of the remaining teams or to hfboards.com, pretty much every team thinks they're getting screwed by the refs.

Which means they may be blowing some calls, but overall they're calling things equally.

"equally" s***ty. :)

esteef

Either way you look at it, that boarding call on Sammy had to be called. It was a dangerous hit, even though Sammy was helped along by the Flames defenseman. And Bertuzzi had Shaq syndrome on that one. He's so big that he doesn't have to lean on anybody with that much added force to make them go down. Yeah, it looked like Yelle helped that out, but Bertuzzi was in an awkward position. The only call that really pissed me off was Lang's.

Kinda OT here, but Sharks fans(alot of them) are already cocky. Saying the same BS that Calgary and their fans were, about the Wings being soft and it would be over in 4 games should they end up playing the Wings next round. I know there's alot of idiots on HF Boards, but I had to share this gem with everyone:

Detroit is the perfect opponent for us. Bunch of European softies that our physical guys can steamroll over and pound into submission. Remember McLaren crushing Lebda with that brutal hip check? Absolutely slammed him into the boards. Can't wait to see Thornton and Michalek skate cirlces around Lidstrom.

Wow, I didn't realize Sharks fans were that clueless about every team but their own. Funny how this person slams us for having "soft Euros" then uses Lebda, a Chicago boy, as his example. If we face the Sharks they better hope they keep their PP going because Nabokov sure as hell ain't no Kiprusoff.

Wow, I didn't realize Sharks fans were that clueless about every team but their own. Funny how this person slams us for having "soft Euros" then uses Lebda, a Chicago boy, as his example. If we face the Sharks they better hope they keep their PP going because Nabokov sure as hell ain't no Kiprusoff.

I always thought that Brett was a good old-fashioned Swedish name.

Isn't it? :lol:

:lol: What ignorance!

exactly.

If everyone is pissed at the ref, at least you know they're calling it both ways.

Games 3,4, and 5 were not called both ways (IMO), which is why people are still griping. Games 3 and 4 were basically handed to Calgary with some of the worst reffing I've seen.

Game 5 was equally s***ty (calling back the goal, missing the sucker punch, etc...) but we overcame it.

Game 6 had bad calls, but they went both ways, so I'm fine with it.

Edit: I think there are reasons for this, such as Dom's reputation (probably earned) as being a diver, and Babcock's reluntance to call out officials, but it's still an indictment on the officials.

Edited by Airborn

This is not a knock on Canadian teams or anything, but I am really excited to be playing an American team for 2 reasons:

1) We wont have basically an entire country rooting against us, which can get really annoying especially on CBC.

2) We will actually have a large Wings crowd presence on road games. Games in Dallas or San Jose will have lots of Wings fans, as opposed to Calgary or Edmonton, where none exist.

Here's to a great 2nd Round!

Absolutely. My brother has a buddy from Edmonton (which he's a little slow - no joke) and he always goes against the team everyone wants to win. It gets so annoying. Then since the Oil aren't in he of course goes for Calgary because they're Alberta's finest, i guess. Needless to say, I'm so happy that there's no Alberta teams left because a lot of their fans annoy the crap out of me

Guest Oilergurl19

Absolutely. My brother has a buddy from Edmonton (which he's a little slow - no joke) and he always goes against the team everyone wants to win. It gets so annoying. Then since the Oil aren't in he of course goes for Calgary because they're Alberta's finest, i guess. Needless to say, I'm so happy that there's no Alberta teams left because a lot of their fans annoy the crap out of me

I was coming on to congratulate the Wings on beating the Flamers... I am from Alberta and am an Oilers fan. Just be aware first of all it wasn't an entire nation rooting against the Wings... Calgary is a hated team here in Edmonton. Not all of us buy into cheering for a team just cuz they are from our country.

I just hate hearing some of you say that the best thing about round 2 is playing a yankee team... and not hearing the Canadian national anthem. I can just hear how choked some of you guys would be if we were to say the same thing. And Alberta fans annoy the crap out of you??? What is it that annoys you? That we can sell out our arena in seconds... you guys should fill some more seats... especially for a so-called "hockeytown".

Ok, I'm done... just wanted to say congrats for beating the team I hate the most.

Games 3,4, and 5 were not called both ways (IMO), which is why people are still griping. Games 3 and 4 were basically handed to Calgary with some of the worst reffing I've seen.

Game 5 was equally s***ty (calling back the goal, missing the sucker punch, etc...) but we overcame it.

Game 6 had bad calls, but they went both ways, so I'm fine with it.

Edit: I think there are reasons for this, such as Dom's reputation (probably earned) as being a diver, and Babcock's reluntance to call out officials, but it's still an indictment on the officials.

There's calls that are gonna hurt more than others, but overall I thought it was pretty even.

And I don't buy at all that it had anything to do with the Flames being a canadian team.

I was coming on to congratulate the Wings on beating the Flamers... I am from Alberta and am an Oilers fan. Just be aware first of all it wasn't an entire nation rooting against the Wings... Calgary is a hated team here in Edmonton. Not all of us buy into cheering for a team just cuz they are from our country.

I just hate hearing some of you say that the best thing about round 2 is playing a yankee team... and not hearing the Canadian national anthem. I can just hear how choked some of you guys would be if we were to say the same thing. And Alberta fans annoy the crap out of you??? What is it that annoys you? That we can sell out our arena in seconds... you guys should fill some more seats... especially for a so-called "hockeytown".

Ok, I'm done... just wanted to say congrats for beating the team I hate the most.

who said anything about the canadian anthem? and they do annoy me. you're oiler mate that's hear in CO is one of the most loud, obnoxious people I've ever met. Than with all the Calgary fans on here that are rude and wanting to argue. I put 2 and 2 together, that what annoys me.

1) We wont have basically an entire country rooting against us, which can get really annoying especially on CBC.

2) We will actually have a large Wings crowd presence on road games. Games in Dallas or San Jose will have lots of Wings fans, as opposed to Calgary or Edmonton, where none exist.

Here's to a great 2nd Round!

Ahem.

As a Canadian, and a Flames fan since 1980, let me state this. Most die-hard Canadian hockey fans don't "root" per se for other Canadian teams.

You think I'd pull for Edmonton? In 1987, I trembled with rage when Ron Hextall whiffed on Glenn Anderson's long shot to snuff Philly's comeback from a 3-1 series deficit. (I've always had a soft spot for the Flyers because in their heyday they iced lots of western Canadian squads. Plus, they're the last all-Canadian team to win the Cup!! ) You guys, I'm sure, have an idea how insufferable Leaf fans are. I'd root for Montreal if they were in it, and I'll keep an eye on Ottawa. Vancouver can choke on its own vomit.

As for bias in the commentating, I thought Drew Remenda, if anything, favored the Wings. There are scads of Detroit fans in Canada, particularly down east, and I thought he was catering to them.