• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwinger4747

Best thing about round 2, playing an AMERICAN team.

Rate this topic

That we can sell out our arena in seconds... you guys should fill some more seats... especially for a so-called "hockeytown".

Let's get something straight on this. "Hockeytown" is nothing more than a marketing ploy created by Mike Illitch and Ken Holland. Nothing more nothing less. It really came into effect after the back-to-back Cup wins in '97 and '98. Most everybody in Detroit knows it's not a predominant hockey town, mainly because over half of the population in Detroit is black. No, that's not a racial slur either. Fact is, most black people don't like or pay no attention to hockey. And even that aside, the sports fans in this town are bandwagoners to the extreme. Now that the Tigers are good again, the bandwagon has turned the course.

The seat issue comes down to a couple of things right now: One, ticket prices are just ridiculous here. It's $68 for a standing room ticket for a first round playoff game. May I ask you how much a ticket to an Oilers game cost? I understand the currency differences and what not, but you guys probably get off a lot better than we do when it comes to ticket prices.

Secondly, Michigan has the worst economy in the entire U.S. right now. It's ranked dead last. Almost half of the state is un-employed. Fact is, people don't have enough money to go watch the Wings a lot of the time, going back to said ticket prices that don't fit peoples budget in a very poor state.

Third, everyone in Detroit is on the Tigers bandwagon right now. That's just how this city is. One winning season brings everyone through. That's how it worked with the Wings in the 90's. Likewise with the Pistons in the early 2000's. The majority of the people in Detroit are bandwagon fans. That's just how it is.

Take time to look over these points here. You will then understand why teams in Alberta sell out and fill the arena up there more then down here in Michigan.

But you also gotta think that the Wings are one of the most popular teams for visiting attendance. Nationally in the US, I bet Detroit is one of the most liked teams in America if not the most. So where they may not fill the seata as much, they're still supported just as much

I think the main reason I'd be happy they aren't playing a Canadian team would be simply that it's a less hostile crowd.

I'm sure the "Shark Tank" gets loud but I find it hard to believe that it can rival Calgary fans. Talk about dedicated fans. I've never seen so many people wearing jerseys like them.

Although that damn air horn really was getting on my nerves haha.

As far as the refs, I agree they did a pretty bad job with most of the series, but overall it did go both ways. Overall... they still had a few that really pissed me off, but that's just the way it goes.

I've never seen so many people wearing jerseys like them.

Up here, if you don't have a jersey when you're off to the game, well, damnit, you pull out the Santa suit or your wife's filmy red negligee.

who said anything about the canadian anthem? and they do annoy me. you're oiler mate that's hear in CO is one of the most loud, obnoxious people I've ever met. Than with all the Calgary fans on here that are rude and wanting to argue. I put 2 and 2 together, that what annoys me.

1, if you read the whole thread, somebody did say they are glad not to have to hear O Canada any more. Which I think is a stupid thing to say, I like the Canadian anthem.

2, how many Calgary fans that came to LGW were rude? Most of them were pretty good people. Just off the very top of my head I can think of six that were class all the way and nowhere near that many trolls. The Flames fans I saw at the Joe were for the most part pretty good-natured, as were the ones I saw at GM Place when I went there earlier this year.

That all said, I do think it's a bonus for the Wings not to be playing a Canadian team. There are tons of Wings fans in Texas and California. No matter who we play for the rest of the series, the arena won't be anywhere near as tough as the Saddledome. Good God that sea of red is something else. I wonder if that's why the Flames ditched the stupid black third jersey?

I live in Canda, and during the regular season it is nice when Detroit comes north, because I get to watch the games. However, in the playoffs all games (generally) are aired. Especially heading into the second round, there are fewer teams playin so regarless of where the wings are they it will be on TV.

A lot of Canadians seem frustrated that 'their' teams cant win a cup. But everytime they give me that arguement, I just say there are jsut as many canadians on that american team as there are on that candian team. Obviously living in Canada, I didnt pick my team based on location, or I'd be a Nucks fan. :crazy: (shivers) But I chose my team based on the players that wore the jersey, and got Detroit.

Replying to the Hockeytown comment... I had a lot of people lately in Canada get pissed about that. And I went to bat for Detroit obviously. I love Canada, a know the sport is our treasure, but Detroit and Ilitch (spelling) built Hockeytow, (and I believe it is generally referred to as Hockeytown USA)

Anyway, I dont care who Detroit plays as long as we bring our A game, but I do sympathize with those back east for the time difference (though gives the LNC something to do) and also because it will be nice to have an eavily announced game.

This is not a knock on Canadian teams or anything, but I am really excited to be playing an American team for 2 reasons:

1) We wont have basically an entire country rooting against us, which can get really annoying especially on CBC.

2) We will actually have a large Wings crowd presence on road games. Games in Dallas or San Jose will have lots of Wings fans, as opposed to Calgary or Edmonton, where none exist.

Here's to a great 2nd Round!

I agree. I'm a Canadian but even I was getting sick of the homerism pouring from the CBC. There was a hit early on in last nights game that involved Maltby and I think Langkow and the CBC announcer made it sound as if Maltby got clocked when it was Langkow that got the worst of it and went down.

And in the beginning they always show a small video montage with highlights from the series. If you were to have been in a cave for the past 2 weeks and only saw those highlights you would have thought Calgary was up on the Wings 3-0. They barely showed any Wings highlights.

Now I know that a lot of people here might say "Well it is a government run channel and they have to remain true to all things Canadian". If that's the case then they're a bunch of hypocrites. If they were trying to remain truly Canadian then why would they thrust Maple Leaf hockey down our throats every single Saturday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Maple Leafs haven't made the playoffs in 2 straight seasons right? And the last time I checked there were 5 other Canadian teams.

Another thing that really bothered me about the Wings-Flames coverage was that the CBC didn't show every game in HD. I had to watch NBC on Saturday and non-HD coverage last night. But I wasn't too disappointed. Bill Clement and the gang do a very good job and I enjoyed the NBC telecast - which I will continue to watch because the CBC has lost my viewership for reasons mentioned above.

Edited by Hank

Another thing that really bothered me about the Wings-Flames coverage was that the CBC didn't show every game in HD. I had to watch NBC on Saturday and non-HD coverage last night. But I wasn't too disappointed. Bill Clement and the gang do a very good job and I enjoyed the NBC telecast - which I will continue to watch because the CBC has lost my viewership for reasons mentioned above.

Really? I thought I saw my first hockey game in HD last night on my buddy's new big screen HDTV. Sonnuva. I feel cheated haha.

Really? I thought I saw my first hockey game in HD last night on my buddy's new big screen HDTV. Sonnuva. I feel cheated haha.

What station? (I have Express Vu). I did get the game in HD but it wasn't in 16:9, true widescreen. I could stretch the picture but it wasn't the same.

This is not a knock on Canadian teams or anything, but I am really excited to be playing an American team for 2 reasons:

1) We wont have basically an entire country rooting against us, which can get really annoying especially on CBC.

2) We will actually have a large Wings crowd presence on road games. Games in Dallas or San Jose will have lots of Wings fans, as opposed to Calgary or Edmonton, where none exist.

i exist!! hahahaha!

but you're right with the CBC thing. they're just annoying in general... especially in the regular season where they show Leafs games 90% of the time :rolleyes: On that note, I also hate Drew Rememda.

I agree. I'm a Canadian but even I was getting sick of the homerism pouring from the CBC. There was a hit early on in last nights game that involved Maltby and I think Langkow and the CBC announcer made it sound as if Maltby got clocked when it was Langkow that got the worst of it and went down.

And in the beginning they always show a small video montage with highlights from the series. If you were to have been in a cave for the past 2 weeks and only saw those highlights you would have thought Calgary was up on the Wings 3-0. They barely showed any Wings highlights.

Agree. They did that to basically every hit in the series, especially Datsyuk's. Dats had quite a few good hits as well as absorbed quite a few while dishing out some of his own (much like the Maltby hit), but the Canadian announcers are all "Datsyuk just got smoked!" or "Datsuk is pounded into the boards!" What a load.

esteef

Guest Tunbo Batman

is it that bad that even a canadian hates CBC that much?

make that two :P

I watched on channel 802.

Well, I watched in Colorado with another Red Wings fan. It was technically shown on Versus from CBC.

Wings fans are everywhere! Before Colorado I cheered em on in Arizona. I am a Lions fan too (both since '94) so don't give me the bandwagon bit please. ;)

Reasons why I don't miss watching games played in Canada:

1. Canadian hockey fans bashing American fans as ignorant and as cry-babies.

2. The biased TV announcers on CBC who heap more praise on Canadian teams and players. Noticed how the announcer would get REAL excited whenever Calgary was on the attack. Meanwhile when the Wings were shooting on goal...his voice more dull and low-key.

3. The Red Wings always struggle in Canada.

Yeah! thats pretty dumb and annoying! THANK GOD for Ken and Micky... GO FSD!

Look, I think it is a great point! I have Canadian buddies who always say and brag about Canadian players being better, but I do remind them that most of them are still chasing the American dollar playing on a USA NHL franchise team. Another funny note is a Canadian franchise has not won the Stanley Cup since Barry Melrose (of all people!) lost it to the Canadians in 1993 for heaven's sake!

I remember when the Blue Jays were winning and Canadians were bragging how they are beating us at thier own game,....what do they have to say now?

USA!

Look, I think it is a great point! I have Canadian buddies who always say and brag about Canadian players being better, but I do remind them that most of them are still chasing the American dollar playing on a USA NHL franchise team. Another funny note is a Canadian franchise has not won the Stanley Cup since Barry Melrose (of all people!) lost it to the Canadians in 1993 for heaven's sake!

I remember when the Blue Jays were winning and Canadians were bragging how they are beating us at thier own game,....what do they have to say now?

USA!

C'mon, be reasonable now. If a team composed of players born and raised in Canada, Russia, Sweden, Czech Rep. etc. with a couple of US born players happens to be based in a US city, and wins the Cup, that hardly says that US hockey is superior. The arena for such comparisons is the Olympics and World Championships (likethe one starting in Moscow on Friday). If the US team does well, then you can brag.

Games in Dallas or San Jose will have lots of Wings fans, as opposed to Calgary or Edmonton, where none exist.

Thats because we can move away from s***hole Detroit and live in better cities with better economies, and inferior hockey teams with expansion fans :!:

Another funny note is a Canadian franchise has not won the Stanley Cup since Barry Melrose (of all people!) lost it to the Canadians in 1993 for heaven's sake!

Actually, it's Canadiens.

How is the fact that a Canadian franchise has not won a Cup since '93 relevant?

Your quip about the Jays? Remember that you're dealing with Torontonians here.

Edited by pope04

Actually, it's Canadiens.

How is the fact that a Canadian franchise has not won a Cup since '93 relevant?

Your quip about the Jays? Remember that you're dealing with Torontonians here.

No disrespect, but remember, you are on a DETROIT Red Wings message board as well!

Canadian fans are arrogant about hockey. They piss on American fans as ignorant about the sport.

Maybe Canadian fans don't realize that some of the best hockey talent comes from Minnesota, Maine, Michigan, and upstate New York. for example. You can find just as many good players in those US states as you can find in Ontario.

USA!

No s***. Like that Blue Jays team was full of Canadians or something! :lol:

Edited by esteef