• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hiei

Welcome to LGW, San Jose Sharks fans

Rate this topic

Glad to have you on the boards Shark fans. The Sharks are actually my 2nd favorite team and they are my girlfriend's favorite team. So if the Red Wings lose this series I will hear it everyday untill next year. Lets go Wings!!!!!!!!

Hi All,

My name's Greg. I grew up a Wings fan, still am, however I'm from the Silicon Valley for many years and have adopted the Sharks as my team now.

I tell all my friends, I'll always root for the Wings...except when they play the Sharks. That being said let me add my two cents as to why all you other Wings fan should dread this series.....

The Sharks are class organization from the top down. For the most part all the key players (except thornton, guerin, rivet, and bell (who cares), are home-grown talent. The Sharks farm team, the Worchester Sharks, play the same style of hockey as the main club. So everyone knows everyone and has played together for several years.

Ever since getting the snot knocked out of us last year in Edmonton, the Sharks have been on a mission. And that is to win Lord Stanley's cup. The Sharks are BIG, fast, and live to roll 4 lines. The D can be said to be young, but did you see much action from Kariya or Forsberg the last couple weeks? No, the reason is Hannan, Rivet, and McLaren. Pickles, Carle, and Erhoff can definitely hold their own.

But here is the real kicker that most hockey fans don't know. Nabby is on a mission, and therefore so is the rest of the team. A little noticed event happened the opening day of the quarterfinals. Warren Strehlow died. Warren was not only Evgeni's mentor, he became a 2nd father to Nabby over the last 10 years of his being his goalie coach. Nabby has already gone on record to say that he is dedicating this series to Warren. If you look on the Sharks sweaters, you'll notice a "WAS" patch....Warren A Strehlow. This is the intangible, the X factor that make the Sharks the most committed, dedicated team.

Nabby has already stood on his head during several periods of the Nashville series to save two games for the Sharks. Believe me, I haven't seen Nabby play this good for several years.

Unfortunately for the Wings, I think they are going to run into a buzz saw.

Sharks in 6.

gg

It seems as though the two teams who were at the receiving end of some terribly cheap shots in the first round will be facing off, and I couldn't be happier. Nice guys don't finish last! Welcome Sharks fans, and I hope this is a helluva series!

Word,

LDi03

Nabby has already stood on his head during several periods of the Nashville series to save two games for the Sharks. Believe me, I haven't seen Nabby play this good for several years.

Quoted for emphasis. I firmly agree with this statement.

Hey Wings fans. I'm an Oakland County transplant - I was born in Royal Oak and moved out to the bay when I was 8. Unfortunately I wasn't introduced to hockey until much later in life ;) I started following the Sharks during the 00-01 playoffs and have been an STH since then. I credit the Sharks former color guy, Drew Remenda, with making me a better, more objective hockey fan and less of a homer :P

I am incredibly excited about this series. My hopes say Sharks in 6 but the Wings could just as easily pull it out. There's always been a snarl in the Tank when the Wings come to town since so many red jerseys seem to appear in the crowd :P But watching your team take Calgary's thuggery in stride and not sink to their level really demonstrated class. I really look forward to some clean, exciting hockey between our teams... even if I'll be hoping we steal one from you at the Joe ;)

Also, I saw someone earlier in the thread say that Cheechoo has a minor rep for being a little too "energetic" or something like that, which I'm guessing means a bit dirty when it comes to hitting. How common is this opinion? Obviously we've all got teal-colored glasses on, but like I said, I like to consider myself objective... and while I find his rumbling, stumbling, I-grew-up-playing-on-frozen-ponds style of skating hilarious to watch, I have never really thought of him as being a hitter in general, much less a dirty one. What say you, Mr. Detroit Ambassadors?

But here is the real kicker that most hockey fans don't know. Nabby is on a mission, and therefore so is the rest of the team. A little noticed event happened the opening day of the quarterfinals. Warren Strehlow died. Warren was not only Evgeni's mentor, he became a 2nd father to Nabby over the last 10 years of his being his goalie coach. Nabby has already gone on record to say that he is dedicating this series to Warren. If you look on the Sharks sweaters, you'll notice a "WAS" patch....Warren A Strehlow. This is the intangible, the X factor that make the Sharks the most committed, dedicated team.

Sharks in 6.

gg

Hi, Greg. I am very sorry to hear about Warren and his valiant fight with his illness. I am a Wings fan, but I am very familiar with the Sharks and I am sorry Nabby lost his mentor and friend.

I wish Nabby all the best, except against my Red Wings, of course! We will do our best to beat His Nabs, but the Wings will certainly respect and honor his commitment to Warren. The Red Wings are exactly the same sort of guys the Sharks are -- classy and committed to winning the right way!

Prepare for a fun tilt! The Sharks will now be meeting up with an elite team which is also on a mission! :thumbup:

Hi, Greg. I am very sorry to hear about Warren and his valiant fight with his illness. I am a Wings fan, but I am very familiar with the Sharks and I am sorry Nabby lost his mentor and friend.

I wish Nabby all the best, except against my Red Wings, of course! We will do our best to beat His Nabs, but the Wings will certainly respect and honor his commitment to Warren. The Red Wings are exactly the same sort of guys the Sharks are -- classy and committed to winning the right way!

Prepare for a fun tilt! The Sharks will now be meeting up with an elite team which is also on a mission! :thumbup:

:clap: Great post Loo, couldn't have said it better. :):thumbup:

Also, I saw someone earlier in the thread say that Cheechoo has a minor rep for being a little too "energetic" or something like that, which I'm guessing means a bit dirty when it comes to hitting. How common is this opinion? Obviously we've all got teal-colored glasses on, but like I said, I like to consider myself objective... and while I find his rumbling, stumbling, I-grew-up-playing-on-frozen-ponds style of skating hilarious to watch, I have never really thought of him as being a hitter in general, much less a dirty one. What say you, Mr. Detroit Ambassadors?

I am familiar with Cheech, since he was a rookie, in fact. Let's put it this way: he's no Tootoo! ;)

I mean that in the nicest way. Cheech is a fiesty player, but I don't think of him as dirty, not at all. He's aggressive, yes, but we have guys who will be watching his every move. :sly:

Hi All,

My name's Greg. I grew up a Wings fan, still am, however I'm from the Silicon Valley for many years and have adopted the Sharks as my team now.

I tell all my friends, I'll always root for the Wings...except when they play the Sharks. That being said let me add my two cents as to why all you other Wings fan should dread this series.....

The Sharks are class organization from the top down. For the most part all the key players (except thornton, guerin, rivet, and bell (who cares), are home-grown talent. The Sharks farm team, the Worchester Sharks, play the same style of hockey as the main club. So everyone knows everyone and has played together for several years.

Ever since getting the snot knocked out of us last year in Edmonton, the Sharks have been on a mission. And that is to win Lord Stanley's cup. The Sharks are BIG, fast, and live to roll 4 lines. The D can be said to be young, but did you see much action from Kariya or Forsberg the last couple weeks? No, the reason is Hannan, Rivet, and McLaren. Pickles, Carle, and Erhoff can definitely hold their own.

Sharks in 6.

gg

Neat, but even IF the Wings are a push over, you're going to be walking into the firing squad of the Ducks/Buffalo.

I am familiar with Cheech, since he was a rookie, in fact. Let's put it this way: he's no Tootoo! ;)

I mean that in the nicest way. Cheech is a fiesty player, but I don't think of him as dirty, not at all. He's aggressive, yes, but we have guys who will be watching his every move. :sly:

Here Here! To a very good series.

Both teams are very good. Even by reckoning both with advantages.

It is a shame that Cheech does get covered but it tends to leave Michalek open. Michalek potted 4 goals first series.

I implore you not to call him Cheech. He is a player on another team, the one the Wings are playing too, and it sounds weird for you to be calling him by his cliche nickname.

Ah, whatever though. Do what you want. ;)

Edited by Kp-Wings

I implore you not to call him Cheech. He is a player on another team, the one the Wings are playing too, and it sounds weird for you to be calling him by his cliche nickname.

Ah, whatever though. Do what you want. ;)

:P Sorry, KP. Didn't mean to cause you pain.

Mr. Jonathan Cheechoo scares me less than Mr. Milan Michalek does, now that I consider it (thanks a bunch for reminding me, there, jjcast408). I can't wait to hear Versus announcers butcher the pronunciation of Michalek's name. heh~

Wings can handle both of them, I have no doubt! :thumbup:

:P Sorry, KP. Didn't mean to cause you pain.

Mr. Jonathan Cheechoo scares me less than Mr. Milan Michalek does, now that I consider it (thanks a bunch for reminding me, there, jjcast408). I can't wait to hear Versus announcers butcher the pronunciation of Michalek's name. heh~

Wings can handle both of them, I have no doubt! :thumbup:

Ack. I really don't care if you call him it or not. As long as it's not too weird... like calling Lilja "lils". Now that is just too weird. :P

Thank you! Damn glad to be back. ;-)

Nabby ain't no Kipper? Well, ummm, no.....seeing as he actually made it into the 2nd round. I do believe the (good) old Nabby is back.

Btw....any of my old homies still here??

WURD! Welcome back yo!

:clap:

Welcome, Sharks fans! As a former season ticket holder for San Jose's very first season, I would be interested in hearing how you all became hockey fans. Everyone I met at the games were transplanted from established hockey areas. What got you guys hooked?

Man, everyone on this board is going to hate me forever.....

I was introduced to hockey by a guy I was dating during the 1993 playoffs, WCF Leafs vs. Kings. I became I huge Leafs fan because I hated all to do with SoCal and I liked the fact that their name was ungrammatical. Plus the Leafs were really good then, with Dougie Gilmore and Wendell Clark, my two favorite player. Fast forward to the start of the next season and the SJ Sharks move from playing 50 miles away at the Cow Palace in Daly City to the brand spanking new SJ Arena in downtown San Jose. Guy I am dating gets us tickets to a SJ/Pens game early in the season -- I see Super Mario and Jagr play and am dazzled. Go to a few games that season, watch all games on TV, gradually learn the rules of the sport, and get sucked into the mounting excitement of the largest single season turnaround in NHL history and making the playoffs.

But the thing that cemented my love forever for the Men in Teal was that 1st round upset of the Wings in 1994.

Yeah, I know it must have been REALLY bad for you all -- but you have no idea what that series meant to the city of San Jose, who had always been the ugly step sister to the more glamorous San Francisco to the North. Beating the Wings gave San Jose a sense of accomplishment – we were the little team that could. It was just a city-wide love affair. We gave the team a parade when the lost to the Leafs in the second round for goodness sakes.

That was the defining moment that hooked me on hockey forever.

Y'all hate me now? :P

Cheechoo is NOTHING like Tootoo. Tootoo is a marginally talented scrub, a poor man’s Tyson Nash. His only purpose is to take other players off their game. He has no added value; his value is in detracting from the opponent’s value. He is addition by subtraction. He is also a dirty cheapshot artist who should be beaten with a tire iron and fed ground glass. He also fights like a girl and regularly gets his ass handed to him.

Cheechoo, on the other hand, plays hard in the sense that he will go to the ugly areas to score and he will fight for position to stay there. But he’s not a dirty player by any stretch of the imagination. He’s go sweet hands (hello Rocket Richard) and horrifying feet (he skates like a Weeble – you know, “Weebles wobble but they don’t fall downâ€Â). Cheech will regularly trip over the blue line and then score from an impossible angle on the next shift. I love him to death because he tries so damn hard. He’s endearing.

Welcome Sharkies!

Here's to a good clean series! Could ya move closer so we can watch at a decent hour though? ;)

Why don’t y’all move closer to us? We’re close to the coast, why would we want to move inland away from the beaches? What if you moved the Red Wings to Iowa or Nebraska even Wyoming? That way your games would be on at a decent hour compared to ours and you wouldn’t have to compete with the Lions, Tigers or Pistons (you should really rename your basketball team to the Bears – oh my!)

Ack. I really don't care if you call him it or not. As long as it's not too weird... like calling Lilja "lils". Now that is just too weird. :P

That is weird. I guess it makes some people feel closer to the players, even though its lame. PAsha is by far the worst nickname...ugh! :P

OT question: How many more years is chelios signed with the wings?

I'm rooting for him to still play when he's 50 and if there is anyone that can do it, it's him

the guy is simply amazing and he gets decent ice time.

btw: TY for the welcome thread, thats very nice!

These are really nice boards you guys have here.