• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Packer487

Convince me why I shouldn't be dreading this series....

Rate this topic

I've been saying for months that I didn't want to face San Jose. They're big, they're fast, they're deep, their power play is lethal, and they kind of owned us this year when we faced em.

And yet, some of you seem pretty positive about this series. I'm looking for reasons to not be dreading this series.

I know their defense isn't that good and I know we have the edge in goal. Apart from that, help me out! Make me feel good heading into Thursday. I just have "Sharks in 6" running through my head and I hate it....

-Tim

We're not being pushed around at all like we were in the regular season and San Jose hasn't seen us like this before. Furthermore unlike virtually every other team in the past that's given us fits they don't have a Vezina calibur goaltender (Or Rolosen.) Furthermore we have both home ice and might get to cherish the role of underdog for once. Sounds like a decent enough deal for me... Of course I also picked San Jose to win the cup both at the beginning of the year and coming into the playoffs... Disregard that.

1. no kipper

2. no iginla

3. no iginla's henchmen

4. hasek

5. hank, pav, nick, homer, flip, lang, sammy, markov, lebda, schneider, Lilly, calder, bert, cheli, mule, cleary, draper, maltby, quincey, hudler, and of course ozzie

6. 3-0 on home ice...

Edited by rwfan007

On paper we're pretty even but every team has an Achilles heel

First let me point out their defense- the majority of them are for the most part inexperienced rookies to 3rd yrs. If we can apply pressure like we have been they're bound to make mistakes, take penalties and cost their team a goal or two. They do have their veterans, but every team does.

Their offense (much like ours) has been coming from more than just one line, which means Lidstrom will have to work a bit more than last series. We're going to have to play tight d in our end and keep the turnovers to a minimum.

They have a solid goalie, but hes no Kippursoft, and more importantly, hes no Hasek. We need to fire shots on him as often as possible, get into his head early and crowd the net every chance we can (which is no real problem), and let Hasek handle the shots from the perimeter. If this series comes down to goaltending (which it very well might) Hasek will win 10 out of 10.

In terms of physical play, they're bigger than us, and probably faster than us, which is why we need to use experience to take this series. We have more veterans and generally a more playoff experienced team, especially our defense. Their speed can be matched with our positioning, and with veterans like Lidstrom, Chelios and Scheider we can handle what they throw. It might even get under their skin and cause them to be careless.

In addition to that- during the regular season, they didn't play us with Bertuzzi and Calder- two power forwards that are sure to get under their skin, and the way Clearys been playing, they're going to have to put a shadow on him.

I'll be honest, this series is very evenly matched, but like I said before the playoffs begin- this cup is going to be won more with hunger than it is with skill. We just need to want it bad enough.

Edited by Echolalia

Nabokov and toskla together aren't better than kipper

Also, SJ isn't going to play goon squad, they can and nashville proved that. But to use a phraze, don't start nothing won't be nothing. We are perfectly fine with laying the body but playing clean, complete puck domination hockey.

1. no kipper

2. no iginla

3. no iginla's henchmen

4. hasek

5. hank, pav, nick, homer, flip, lang, sammy, markov, lebda, schneider, Lilly, calder, bert, cheli, mule, cleary, draper, maltby, quincey, hudler, and of course ozzie

6. 3-0 on home ice...

All pretty good besides the sammy......i guess 1 out of 30 isnt bad though.....i like the reasoning. 3-0 at home and we have home ice advantage....wings arent getting pushed around like they have been all year, they are agressive and most importantly HUNGRY....sharks PP is lethal....but the wings have been the total package this post season so far....

1. no kipper

2. no iginla

3. no iginla's henchmen

4. hasek

6. 3-0 on home ice...

Right there: Red Wings in 6!

And to the starter of this thread: The reason for that is you also have PACKER in your nick...You (assuming you are a Green Bay Packers fan) have that notion in your head that Brian Urlacher is coming to gun down your team.

GO WINGS GO!

and BEAR DOWN CHICAGO BEARS!!!

All pretty good besides the sammy......i guess 1 out of 30 isnt bad though.....i like the reasoning. 3-0 at home and we have home ice advantage....wings arent getting pushed around like they have been all year, they are agressive and most importantly HUNGRY....sharks PP is lethal....but the wings have been the total package this post season so far....

its a team effort, leave no man behind

Reasons you shouldn't be dreading this series:

The Wings are MUCH tougher/gritty then they have been in years.

They aren't letting anyone push them around.

Great goaltending.

Bertuzzi.

Datsyuk is finally showing up in the playoffs.

Zetterberg is coming around after a slow start to the first round.

Defense is fantastic.

Everyone is stepping up their game big time.

Kipper>Nabakov.

They are the Red Wings.

There ya go!! Feel better?

Guest Crymson

I just can't stop thinking about that 9-4 loss..

I know the wings will make up for that though.

I'll lead you an example:

1997 playoffs, game 4 of the WCF. We crush the Avs 5-0 at home. The Avs come back the next night to crush us 6-0. Granted we were on the losing side of that swing (though we won the series), but it goes to show that, no matter how much you lose a game, it's only one game; you can lose it by 1 or by 50 and the result is the same. The next game starts out 0-0.

We're not being pushed around at all like we were in the regular season and San Jose hasn't seen us like this before. Furthermore unlike virtually every other team in the past that's given us fits they don't have a Vezina calibur goaltender (Or Rolosen.) Furthermore we have both home ice and might get to cherish the role of underdog for once. Sounds like a decent enough deal for me... Of course I also picked San Jose to win the cup both at the beginning of the year and coming into the playoffs... Disregard that.

I know this is supposed to be a thread to convince, but lets not make incorrect statements. You said they don't have a Vezina calbre goaltender? I would say that the tandem of Nabokov(a deadly tender, and a former calder winner) and Toskala, who would be THE #1 on most any other team is certainly scary. So lets not say goaltending on their team isn't scary, because it really is.

Edited by yzerman&thewings=CUP

1997 playoffs, game 4 of the WCF. We crush the Avs 5-0 at home. The Avs come back the next night to crush us 6-0. Granted we were on the losing side of that swing (though we won the series), but it goes to show that, no matter how much you lose a game, it's only one game; you can lose it by 1 or by 50 and the result is the same. The next game starts out 0-0.

excellent post, really really good post crymson :clap:

That made me feel better :)

Why you shouldn't be dredding this series:

No more Kiprusoff. With all due respect to Sharks fans but Evegni Nabokov is no Mikka Kiprusoff. Thaaaaank God.

The Wings have home ice advantage.

It's a new "season" and the Wings are playing more aggressive style of hockey with fore-checks, hits, and net crashes. This is something that Ron Wilson and the SJ coaching staff didn't see much of during the regular season.

We got Big Bert. He's gonna f*** up Joe Thornton and Hannan. That simple.

Dan Cleary. I expect big things from him.

The Detroit power play is finally starting to click in the playoffs. The penalty kill teams have played really aggressive. This should continue into the SJ series.

Everyone is pretty healthy. We sufferend no major injuries in the first round. Brett Lebda should be ready by Game 1 on Thursday.

The Wings will be ready to play San Jose. I expect close games and a series that will likely be decided in 7 games.

GO WINGS!

I'm pretty confident we'll scrape by, but man oh man, Ill never hear the end of it if we don't! I live in northern california and my buddy is a big Sharks fan. We've been talking smack all season long and now the real test is coming up. On the bright side, I get to see my first two playoff games ever! Woot!

And to the starter of this thread: The reason for that is you also have PACKER in your nick...You (assuming you are a Green Bay Packers fan) have that notion in your head that Brian Urlacher is coming to gun down your team.

GO WINGS GO!

and BEAR DOWN CHICAGO BEARS!!!

If the Sharks had Rex Grossman quarterbacking their power play, that would be enough to make me not scared of them. :D:D

Interesting smack from someone whose team is 8-22 against the Packers in the last 30....

This thread is helping somewhat. Seems to me that the keys are:

1) STAY OUT OF THE BOX

2) STAY OUT OF THE BOX

3) Hasek keeps playing out of his mind

4) Pressure their young defensemen into mistakes

It's gonna be a fun series. I just wish we were playing them after they faced Anaheim in a tough 6 or 7 game series...stupid Dallas.

-Tim

Sorry. Nabakov is NOT in the same league as Kiprusoff. Not even Roberto Luongo for that matter. If the Wings fire 50 shots at Nabakov...trust me, they will get more than 2 goals.

I know this is supposed to be a thread to convince, but lets not make incorrect statements. You said they don't have a Vezina calbre goaltender? I would say that the tandem of Nabokov(a deadly tender, and a former calder winner) and Toskala, who would be THE #1 on most any other team is certainly scary. So lets not say goaltending on their team isn't scary, because it really is.

It's gonna be a fun series. I just wish we were playing them after they faced Anaheim in a tough 6 or 7 game series...stupid Dallas.

-Tim

Yea really. How much is Anaheim loving life right now? Does anyone think the Nucks even have a chance?

You know we are 1-3 in four games they out scored us 18 to 9 we have to have our big sticks in this one cause if we dont were in trouble thornton, Cheechoo and Marleau are great players and if they get hot it dont matter what we do i think we have a weak def right now were beat up in that end dom is gonna have to step it up in this one and at least split games 3 and 4 of course take 1 and 2 so with that said GO WINGS

12 more wins to go

You shouldn't be dreading this series if the Sharks can't get their PP back up to the 20% range. I know they went something like 40-50% against you in the 4 meetings during the season, but what happened against Nashville isn't going to cut it!

If they get the PP going, look out.

This will be one helluva series though. Despite the win in Detroit this season I'm fully aware of the Sharks' futility at JLA and it scares the crap out of me.

Edited by teal zebra