• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Oh What a Blessed Time It Was

Rate this topic

Funny old article about the free spending Wings.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2002/s/2002/0614/1395098.html

Some memorable lines at the end of the article.

"For him to have the faith in us to do what he did and for us to come through, that's what sports is all about,'' Hull said. "That's what you want in ownership. You want an owner who wants to win. There's a lot of teams with payrolls close to us, that didn't win. You can't put together a great team without a big payroll. Great players demand great money, that's just the way it is.''

Ilitch realized he was close to "crapping out'' on his gamble when Vancouver stunned the Red Wings by winning the first two games of the first round of the playoffs.

"I was concerned,'' Ilitch admitted.

The Red Wings eased his concerns by winning the next four games, and then taking four of five against St. Louis before being a part of the matchup all hockey fans wanted to see -- Detroit and Colorado in the Western Conference finals.

It was a series Ilitch, who is losing money on the Detroit Tigers and Comerica Park, needed to bolster his bank account.

"We had to get through the second round to at least break even on the investment Mr. I made,'' Holland said.

Holland could not feel good about the moves he made with Ilitch's money until the Stanley Cup was hoisted.

"I think the biggest feeling for me is relief,'' Holland said. "When we headed down the path we did last summer, we knew that we would be second-guessed if we finished with anything less than a Stanley Cup. It was a gamble and thankfully, it paid off.''

amen. i think it's too recnt a team for people to feel comfortable admitting it's dominance, but hoooly s***, i don't care, that team on their game, could've taken out anyone.

So I think it's safe to say that Illitch makes money on the regular season alone now. If the Wings needed a Conference final birth to break even with an $80 million roster, just imagine how much money he's rolling in with only a $45 million roster.

Me thinks it's time for Mr.I to reduce playoff ticket prices. Or at the very least reduce regular season prices.

I still think the NHL should have forced every buildling to sell 2000 tickets at $10.00 or less after the lockout. This would help bring in new fans, kids and families. Not to mention real fans that can't afford to go.

Edited by Hank

Guest Crymson

So I think it's safe to say that Illitch makes money on the regular season alone now. If the Wings needed a Conference final birth to break even with an $80 million roster, just imagine how much money he's rolling in with only a $45 million roster.

Me thinks it's time for Mr.I to reduce playoff ticket prices. Or at the very least reduce regular season prices.

I still think the NHL should have forced every buildling to sell 2000 tickets at $10.00 or less after the lockout. This would help bring in new fans, kids and families. Not to mention real fans that can't afford to go.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2002/s/2002/0614/1394731.html

damn that story brought a tear to my eyes !!!!!! i think some of yzerman has worn off onto the others in that locker room .....the man is still there best there ever will be as far as im concerned

Considering how there's probably going to be a new arena built soon, I wouldn't bank on ticket prices dropping.