• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Here comes the bluster..

Rate this topic

M-Live

Guerin says that he can read the Wings like a book, and Ron Wilson agrees:

"I don't think there are any secrets about playing [Detroit]," [Guerin] said. "It's a really small world now, with all the video and the scouting. Plus they've been in the playoffs for what, 10 years in a row. They play the same way they always have. They only have a few players left from the Cup team (in 2002, and the total is seven of the top 20), but their core is still pretty much there, and they haven't played any differently. I don't think I know anything about them they don't already know."

But head coach Ron Wilson refines the search by pointing out that Guerin isn't in charge of breaking down video, but whispering sweet somethings into the ears of the players next to him on the bench during the game, and his expertise in that context is invaluable.

"Take Mathieu Schneider or Chris Chelios or Nicklas Lidstrom," Wilson said. "Billy knows what makes those guys tick, what they like to do and don't like to do. He can tell one of the young guys, 'What don't they want to do in a certain situation.' To say that this is why we got him is putting it a little too simply, but this is one of the ways he helps us. I mean, if you saw all the little things he did against Nashville that made things easier for the other guys, you'd get it."

Yeah you keep telling yourself that, Billy..

Okay so they may not be LITERALLY coming out and dissing the Wings but Guerin and Ron Wilson's cocky attitude are definitely there.

Isn't it funny how the Wings NEVER say anything but good things about all the teams they face? Why can't they get the same respect in return?

The Sharks are taking them lightly..they don't have to come out and say it because it's quite obvious.

Why can't they get the same respect in return?

I think this is because that kind of respect comes after BIG wins.

I like what Sharks think about the upcoming series. That remings me Flames. It makes me much more confident.

Yeah, the Flames said the same things, I remember they were talking about how easy it was to make Hasek make the go down :rolleyes: that really worked out well for you Calgary :thumbup: I guess they didn't count on the Pain Train DESTROYING them as soon as they got within five feet of the net! :lol:

^that is the most homer thing I have ever said :blush:

I forgot Guerin. That guy is an idiot... remember when he destroyed that hotel room after losing with the US during the olympics years ago? The dude's a total moron. Same for Wilson, what a jackass. If you want to see a prime example, watch the segment from our 1998 stanley cup championship dvd that features Wilson giving the Caps a pre-game pep talk. He kept referencing some brave native american that said something like "today we die, i'm not afraid" something like that. he kept saying it in that phrase in the indian language, it sounded so stupid. terrible pep talk... he sucks. go wings.

I forgot Guerin. That guy is an idiot... remember when he destroyed that hotel room after losing with the US during the olympics years ago? The dude's a total moron. Same for Wilson, what a jackass. If you want to see a prime example, watch the segment from our 1998 stanley cup championship dvd that features Wilson giving the Caps a pre-game pep talk. He kept referencing some brave native american that said something like "today we die, i'm not afraid" something like that. he kept saying it in that phrase in the indian language, it sounded so stupid. terrible pep talk... he sucks. go wings.

Hanty youl baby! *obviously I can't spell it correctly but you know what I mean*

Everything is simple. Stupid overconfidence. But hey, it hurts and never helps... Especially in play-offs.

The bottom line is that these two guys are completely wrong. This year we have VERY different Red Wings team.

The bottom line is that these two guys are completely wrong. This year we have VERY different Red Wings team.

That is what pissed me the heck off. The fact that they THINK they know it all and that there's nothing special about the Wings. That they are just the same team they've been in the past four or so years. That right there tells you the Sharks HAVEN'T been paying attention to the Wings like they so over confidently think they have.

People may think starting this tread was dumb or that there isn't much to it, but I wanted to because im sick of everyone taking this team lightly.

I just now read a quote from Marleau stating they are confident, and thinks they'll have success against us because they had our number in the season. I don't know whether to be angry or just laugh it off?

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

where exactly is this overconfidence that makes people jump anti-Guerin waggon already?

he just states the fact, that playing many times agains Wings and having all this video review stuff it's very easy to analyze us. which is to some extent true.

on the other hand, Billy, you knowing our D means they also know you very well and it's not just that your team will have it easy :D

and if you assume there's everything about Wings to be seen on tapes and this gives you right to make such simplified statements... let me just point to certain Huselius who only 2 weeks ago predicted Flames to win because they all knew Wings are old, slow, can't hit and can be dragged down physically. the thing is, this Huselius clown is golfing now and his stupid statements are subject of endless jokes. don't make the same mistake, Guerin!

I hated Guerin well before his comments. But this new "bandwagon" you speak of is because our boys never speak this way about other teams and we don't take well to tards like Guerin saying those things about us.

Edited by pavyaz19

where exactly is this overconfidence that makes people jump anti-Guerin waggon already?

Him stating that the Wings have always played the same, that there is no secrets to them. How the hell would he know? Tapes don't tell ya everything. How can he say they've played the same after the first round? It's obvious that the Wings are a different team. I guess it's the way he said it that made me mad. As if he knows everything there is to know about the Wings, and that because him and Ron Wilson supposedly 'know' the Wings so very well that they'll be easy to beat. The comments from him and Ron about getting to our D was pretty pathetic as well. I can't stand when someone comes out and THINKS they are going to get to their opponents heads by talking smack. Especially to guys like Nick, Matt, and Chris. Are ya kidding?!

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

M-Live

Yeah you keep telling yourself that, Billy..

Okay so they may not be LITERALLY coming out and dissing the Wings but Guerin and Ron Wilson's cocky attitude are definitely there.

Isn't it funny how the Wings NEVER say anything but good things about all the teams they face? Why can't they get the same respect in return?

The Sharks are taking them lightly..they don't have to come out and say it because it's quite obvious.

Read the entire article and you might get a different take on it.

The writer says the Sharks traded a #1 draft pick in March to get Guerin for "This series, against this team." So the Sharks givie up a #1 draft pick for a rental player expressly to play against the Red Wings. Damn. How much respect do you need? Is that what you call taking somebody lightly?

The REAL point of the article, titled "Series with Red Wing's is Guerin's Time," was to call out Guerin to rise to the ocassion. He did not have that good a series against Nashville. Wilson's quotes, iifted out of context by the Red Wing blogger, is deflecting his critics by talking about how much he helps the young guys. As the writer points out, that's all well and good but the Sharks didn't get him to be a cheerleader on the bench. The article ends:

"Guerin... still has the full skill set required to be a difference maker. This, in short, is the time the Sharks need him to prove that, whether he believes it or not, this really is the reason they traded for him. This series, against this team."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...04/25/RATTO.TMP

Edited by EasyMark

The Sharks think they are hot stuff because they beat us 9-4 in the regular season. Well... this is playoff hockey... Right now with the Wings finally past the cursed first round and having the Wings play really good at home that this will be a Wings win in 5 games. San Jose can't beat us, we are too good right now, and they aren't that good... sure they beat Nashville, but finishing them in 5 doesn't mean s*** when you play the best team in the West.BTW, if we beat Calgary at home, we can easily beat SJ at home.

Time to ready those harpoons, its shark hunting time.

I like Ron Wilson alot...that being said, lets hope his post-season streak against the Wings continues...

I know he was behind the bench for the 98 Capitals (he gives that dont be afraid to lose speech at the beginning of Game 2 of the SCF, they show it in Return To Hockeytown....always makes me crack a smile)

wasn't he the 97 Ducks coach too....

what's that 0-8 come playoff time? :P

Don't bother jumping on this one Sharks fans...just having a little fun

(I know it means little)

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

Man I can't wait to beat the Sharks. I think its hilarious that somehow Bill Guerin knows what makes are top guys tick. Amazing that "Billy" and all his knowledge must have been a no show all those games where we LIT UP the Blues. Pretty laughable too considering guys like Cheli and Nick have MULTIPLE Stanley Cups, and what Billy boy has one from like 12 years ago??? :rolleyes: Try getting HALF the amount of hardware Nick and Cheli have, then you can try to talk about how you can "shut them down". :lol: Bring it on Billy. Oh and by the way, we arent the predators, we're the mighty Detroit Red Wings. But they'll know all about that thursday night when we're schooling their asses. How many times do we have to kick the s*** out of a Ron Wilson squad before he gets on his knees and starts crying? Hopefully he'll have his kneepads ready by game 6. Cause thats all this series is going. No doubt in my mind.

Edited by GodofHockeyStevieY19

So, the Wings are being sterotyped again? No suprises...

Guerin is only saying this because he had a good season. If it would have been like last year, where he sucked, he'd have his tail shoved far up his ass right now.

Let him talk though. We'll see who's talking in the end.

Yeah, well Chelios captained that team. I love Chelios but our beloved Red Wings aren't always perfect little angels either.

And seriously, who cares that much? Let them think what they want. It's just words/pre-game talk.

meh it'll be our 17th next year.

It would have been our 17th, had there not been a lockout and assuming the Wings would have made the playoffs. The lockout season doesn't count for any of the streaks.

The wings werent even supposed to make the playoffs... they did. the wings werent supposed to even challenge for the top seed... they did. the wings werent supposed to get past the tough, gritty flames... they did. Pav wasn't supposed to score in the big games... he did. the wings were supposed to be soft and not be able to cope with the toughness of playoff hockey... they did so far. the wings aren't supposed to beat the sharks... they will.

Edited by rwfan007

Again, I'm having a tough time getting worked up over this. His statements are somewhat inaccurate--we're playing a lot more dump and chase this season than in years past--but he's been around the block before. Spent a lot of time playing the Wings. The article does indeed look more like a ploy about calling Guerin out more than anything.

Of course, if he thinks he know what makes Lidstrom tick or makes him uncomfortable, he's dreaming. :D