• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

Cheli's Hilarious SI Interview

Rate this topic

Chelios in SI: A '70s guy with an unlikable face

Chris Chelios is featured in this week's Sports Illustrated First Person. The issue hits newsstands today. Here's an excerpt of the interview the magazine sent out:

On his reputation as an ornery guy: "I have a face that people just don’t like. I’m 45, but people still scream at me in bars and restaurants. My dad said if he ever saw me walk into a bar, he’d want to beat the snot out of me, too.''

On his favorite era: "I’m a ’70s guy. I like the music, the clothes, the way hockey was played and the camaraderie that the players had. They were ­closer-knit, more team-oriented and ­didn’t have so many outside interests distracting them.

On his resistance to technology: "I discourage my kids (he has four with wife Susan) from playing video games. I’d rather have them playing hockey or moving. For 10 years I held out against getting a cellphone. Now I’m an addict. But I still don’t have e-mail.''

On protecting himself: "I keep an aluminum baseball bat by my bed and in pretty much every room of my house. If a burglar ever got in, he’d get met with a full-fledged Billy Williams swing. When you have kids, you start thinking like that.''

On a family excursion: "When I was a kid, my family moved to Australia because my dad had a crazy idea for supplying our troops in Vietnam with food. Within (a short time) the war ended, and he was stuck Down Under with his thumb up his (butt), so we moved back to Chicago.''

On living in Malibu: "The worst thing is the insincerity of the summer residents—everybody’s always suing each other. Malibu is full of crazy people, but Dick Butkus is a neighbor of mine. The first time he came over, he sat on my couch, grunted at my wife and stared at my kids, who were in awe and scared s---less at the same time.''

On the afterlife: "I’d like to die fast and painlessly at a hockey rink. I’ll watch a game, have a heart attack and go. Then I want my body to be frozen and stored off I-290 in Chicago. Overhead will be a neon sign flashing my NHL numbers, 24 and 7, nonstop.''

:lol:

On protecting himself: "I keep an aluminum baseball bat by my bed and in pretty much every room of my house. If a burglar ever got in, he’d get met with a full-fledged Billy Williams swing. When you have kids, you start thinking like that.''

Me too! :lol: Only I use a tee-ball bat so I can easily swing it with one hand if I have to!

Cheers!

esteef

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

HAHAHA Gotta love it. Cheli is the man. And quite whitty as well. I could read stuff like that all day. lol