• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Defenseman13

Message from a Sharks fan

Rate this topic

I have the relationship-testing magic channels known as Center Ice, and I've been following all the games. I'm not sure if a lot of Wings fans have been following the Nashville-Sharks series, so I'm posting this to catch everyone up. I'm also posting here becasue the sjsharks.com boards are a freakin disgrace and in now way representative of our fanbase.

SJ vs NAS was a great series, but marred by some questionable hits. Hartnell hit Cheechoo knee on knee and in the same action elbowed a tooth right out. While the news/boards/players were crying "dirty, dirty!" our color commentator McSorley made a great point. He pointed out that the team pointing the finger that cries cheap typically is not in charge of the series. For those who missed it, this is how game two ended.

A boarding penalty on Bernier caused a game suspension, but despite the NHL rulebook, other players weren't suspended. Game 5 ended with a spearing that caused another ejection, not unlike what the Calgary goalie did to your guy. While a lot of Sharks fans considered this a dirty series, I really didn't find Nashville themselves to be a dirty team.

So, now we face you hosers in Round 2. Here's what to worry about.

1) Joe Thornton. Most teams worry about Joe, or what to do about him. Well, you don't do anything about him. He has 114 points, and 92 of those are assists. So instead of playing Joe with anything more than one guy, cover the lanes and the slot. Most teams are busy watching Joe and the puck instead of the forward on your back door.

2) Steve Bernier and Ryan Clowe. These are big boys who love to hit and can score. Bernier has a move where he stick handles with one hand and moves behind the net. This works... he got one in last game against the Preds. He is also one of the more physical players out there. Same for CLowe... he's also been the one dropping the gloves. The other two scrappers, Davidson and Murray (our biggest hitter) have been healthy scratches.

Bernier's move

3) Kyle McLaren's butt. Haven't seen anything out of him yet, but he's always looking.

4) Scorers: Michalek, Cheechoo, "little" Joe Pavelski, Patrick Marleau. Michalek is FAST, as is Marleau. Marleau was #2 fastest skater in the All Star game. Joe Pavelski is an amazing player, and was a healthy scratch up until the injuries received in round 1. He has contributed enough to stay in the linup. This guy is a playmaker and is always in the middle of things... keep an eye on him for sure. Cheechoo is warming up, but he is an amazing player even when not scoring. He loves to shoot, but also finishes almost every check. Expect him to be a physical presence.

This will be a great series. Although the Sharks are touted as the biggest and youngest, the Wings can take advantage. If I were the Wing's coach, I would advise them to come out strong and hit the crap out of the Sharks. Even though Guerin (ugh) and Rivet are filling in a much needed veteran/leadership role, the youth of the Sharks comes through when they get rattled. I've spent countless hours this year yelling at our boys for not showing up or returning physical play. That may be your key. Other than that, it's too even to tell. Here's the tape-to-tape.

Tale of the tape

Good luck to everyone watching. This will be epic.

I have the relationship-testing magic channels known as Center Ice, and I've been following all the games. I'm not sure if a lot of Wings fans have been following the Nashville-Sharks series, so I'm posting this to catch everyone up. I'm also posting here becasue the sjsharks.com boards are a freakin disgrace and in now way representative of our fanbase.

SJ vs NAS was a great series, but marred by some questionable hits. Hartnell hit Cheechoo knee on knee and in the same action elbowed a tooth right out. While the news/boards/players were crying "dirty, dirty!" our color commentator McSorley made a great point. He pointed out that the team pointing the finger that cries cheap typically is not in charge of the series. For those who missed it, this is how game two ended.

A boarding penalty on Bernier caused a game suspension, but despite the NHL rulebook, other players weren't suspended. Game 5 ended with a spearing that caused another ejection, not unlike what the Calgary goalie did to your guy. While a lot of Sharks fans considered this a dirty series, I really didn't find Nashville themselves to be a dirty team.

1) Joe Thornton. Most teams worry about Joe, or what to do about him. Well, you don't do anything about him. He has 114 points, and 92 of those are assists. So instead of playing Joe with anything more than one guy, cover the lanes and the slot. Most teams are busy watching Joe and the puck instead of the forward on your back door.

2) Steve Bernier and Ryan Clowe. These are big boys who love to hit and can score. Bernier has a move where he stick handles with one hand and moves behind the net. This works... he got one in last game against the Preds. He is also one of the more physical players out there. Same for CLowe... he's also been the one dropping the gloves. The other two scrappers, Davidson and Murray (our biggest hitter) have been healthy scratches.

Bernier's move

3) Kyle McLaren's butt. Haven't seen anything out of him yet, but he's always looking.

4) Scorers: Michalek, Cheechoo, "little" Joe Pavelski, Patrick Marleau. Michalek is FAST, as is Marleau. Marleau was #2 fastest skater in the All Star game. Joe Pavelski is an amazing player, and was a healthy scratch up until the injuries received in round 1. He has contributed enough to stay in the linup. This guy is a playmaker and is always in the middle of things... keep an eye on him for sure. Cheechoo is warming up, but he is an amazing player even when not scoring. He loves to shoot, but also finishes almost every check. Expect him to be a physical presence.

This will be a great series. Although the Sharks are touted as the biggest and youngest, the Wings can take advantage. If I were the Wing's coach, I would advise them to come out strong and hit the crap out of the Sharks. Even though Guerin (ugh) and Rivet are filling in a much needed veteran/leadership role, the youth of the Sharks comes through when they get rattled. I've spent countless hours this year yelling at our boys for not showing up or returning physical play. That may be your key. Other than that, it's too even to tell. Here's the tape-to-tape.

Tale of the tape

Good luck to everyone watching. This will be epic.

:clap: Nice post.

1. Nick Lidstrom. He can, and will cause Joey to be at his best to be effective.

2. Do you have any video of the Bernier move in a NHL game? To me, that doesn't look that impressive.

3. Hasek practices with a guy name Holmstrom, he's pretty good at being in the goalies face too.

4. Wings can score too. Hank, Pavs, Lang, Cleary, Huds, Flip, ect...

5. We have more rings on our roster :D we know what it takes.

There are a few of them in here:

its at the 4:50 mark

Thanks for the clip, but I still don't see what's so great about that move. I wouldn't call it the best move in the NHL, as the host in the other clip did. It's a strong move, and I can see why it's effective. But it is stoppable. I guess we will see soon eough, eh?

Good post.

I have really enjoyed watching the Sharks this year, and my wife is in love with Jonathan Cheechoo. They're a great team, and I was hoping we would be meeting in the WCF, not now, because the thought of Anaheim winning it all makes me absolutely SICK.

The Sharks should win this series with their depth, but if Detroit can get healthy (and in a hurry), this will be a very competitive series.

The Bernier move is a bit overrated, but he's still a major hitter and scorer. Worthy of mention if only to keep an eye on him.

This series should be a hard fought and classy series... lots of good hockey.

Why am I on the internet when there's playoff hockey on right now?

I think the big point I forgot to make was to stay out of the penalty box. I think at around Game 4 we were 1-18 on the power play. Even though this number is horrible, Nashville was on a constant parade to the box. Their game was so disrupted that they never really found their groove. Wings shouldn't fall for this, but if we want to advance much farther we NEED to score on power plays.

Speaking of PP, keep an eye on Mike Grier and Curtis Brown. Great killers and great guys as well.

So.... any Wings/fans see what famous Red Wing playoff moment is being reenacted in my avatar? That would be the myself and the missus, me playing the turtle and her playing _____?

Great post. :clap:

Well, allow me to retort

Towards the end of the Calgary series, the Wings did an excellent job of keeping Calgary to the outside. Unless the Sharks can consistantly score from the point (without getting their shot blocked), they may stand a chance to run up the score.

Bernier will not be given nearly as much room as the preds gave him. The move is cool, Steve's a good guy, but he will be layed out the second he takes his hand off his wood. If San Jose wants to drop the gloves and beat the Wings into submission....that would probably work....but the Sharks will not run away with the hits in this series.

McLaren's Butt

I'm not impressed. See video link #1

Tale of the tape

Thank you for your advise. I expect the Wings to counter the top to lines with Lidstrom/Markov and Grind line/chelios. Sharks fans should watch out for the Wings fourth line of Franzen(maybe)-Filipula-Hudler. They can cycle very well down low and generate great scoring chances (flip scored 2 in the calgary series)

Edited by Ozzie30

So far we haven't gotten any sharks trolls..that's good. These couple fans seem to be cool, and I like the Turtke re-enactment. :siren:

I say Wings in 6.5..one game will probably go triple OT.

The Sharks have the talent but are slower than Detroit. I alos think that Lidstrom will nullify Thornton's playmaking ability...I think Cheech and Chong, I mean Cheechoo could give us fits. Overall a tight series.

the sharks obviously have the bigger, faster forwards who are for the most part the better scorers. but the same can be said now as it always can be said. defense wins championships, and the wings have (arguably) the best defense in the league. thats why i see them getting through this round

Guest MrSandMan

OP- I like you, but do remember this... when the game starts tomorrow, I shall hate you. You'll be my mortal enemy.

After we hand your asses over on a silver platter, I'll like you again :D

Cheers

Edited by MrSandMan

Thanks for the insight defenseman.

Well I was able to watch alot of the Nashville series (live in the Nashville area) and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the Sharks. They did play some great D, not letting Nashville into the zone almost the entire series. But offensively they really didn;t look that sharp. Their power-play was dismal at best and alot of their goals came as a result of bad giveaways and lazy defense.

Jaimie Baker (host) was exaggerating more than a little. It's not the best power move in the NHL, but it's kinda unique, so when he pulled it out the first couple times people were really impressed because they'd never seen it before. He can actually get off a pretty good shot with one hand while taking the wieght of a defender on with the other -- or, he sometimes will lean into the defender, leave the puck between his legs, get his stick in front of him between himself and the defender, roll around to his left for a spin-o-rama forehand. Pretty amazing when it works, but it's a rarity.

The Bernier move is a bit overrated, but he's still a major hitter and scorer. Worthy of mention if only to keep an eye on him.

This series should be a hard fought and classy series... lots of good hockey.

Why am I on the internet when there's playoff hockey on right now?

I think the big point I forgot to make was to stay out of the penalty box. I think at around Game 4 we were 1-18 on the power play. Even though this number is horrible, Nashville was on a constant parade to the box. Their game was so disrupted that they never really found their groove. Wings shouldn't fall for this, but if we want to advance much farther we NEED to score on power plays.

Speaking of PP, keep an eye on Mike Grier and Curtis Brown. Great killers and great guys as well.

So.... any Wings/fans see what famous Red Wing playoff moment is being reenacted in my avatar? That would be the myself and the missus, me playing the turtle and her playing _____?

what the heck is your main pic? i keep squinting to try and figure out what the heck is going on in it! :angry:

:angry: We are not "hosers" .. :P

Nice post! Welcome. Someone mentioned above that there aren't any Sharks trolls.. I encountered one today, a particularly pesky little bugger, but nowhere NEAR the amount as the nasty Preds/Flames fans. :D

your avatar did not happen in the playoffs though it was a regular season game

You're right... March 26, 1997.

IPB Image

Well, allow me to retort

Towards the end of the Calgary series, the Wings did an excellent job of keeping Calgary to the outside. Unless the Sharks can consistantly score from the point (without getting their shot blocked), they may stand a chance to run up the score.

That has been killing me all season. We have Erhoff #10, Rivet #52, and Guerin *urk* (sorry I vomit a little when I say that) who all COULD be deadly from the point. Are, I should say... but for some reason our game has gone away from just getting shots onto net, and instead these intricate passing plays that end up in turnovers.

OP- I like you, but do remember this... when the game starts tomorrow, I shall hate you. You'll be my mortal enemy.

After we hand your asses over on a silver platter, I'll like you again :D

Cheers

Same here, same here. Sometimes the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Thanks for the insight defenseman.

Well I was able to watch alot of the Nashville series (live in the Nashville area) and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the Sharks. They did play some great D, not letting Nashville into the zone almost the entire series. But offensively they really didn;t look that sharp. Their power-play was dismal at best and alot of their goals came as a result of bad giveaways and lazy defense.

Agreed. If we had even remotely matched our PPG average for the regular season, we would have swept. With the exception of maybe two goals, none of them were pretty goals. They were hard fought shots off of rebounds and turnovers. Ugly goals, but good goals. But goals none the less.

HOly crap...4-1 Sabers. They just called that last goal.

Jaimie Baker (host) was exaggerating more than a little. It's not the best power move in the NHL, but it's kinda unique, so when he pulled it out the first couple times people were really impressed because they'd never seen it before. He can actually get off a pretty good shot with one hand while taking the wieght of a defender on with the other -- or, he sometimes will lean into the defender, leave the puck between his legs, get his stick in front of him between himself and the defender, roll around to his left for a spin-o-rama forehand. Pretty amazing when it works, but it's a rarity.

yes, Baker was totally exaggerating when he said it's the best move in the NHL. That was Shark Byte, a program that has literally "jumped the shark" since we lost former announcer (and my former D coach) Drew Remenda. He's now announcing games on HNIC and living near family in Saskatoon.

I'm not impressed. See video link #1

eh..... not that I don't love seeing Phaneuf leveled, but I retort now with more of McLaren's Butt. In 3-D.

Butt #1

Butt #2

:angry: We are not "hosers" .. :P

Fear not, I only use the word hoser as a term of endearment, not an insult. Be honored to walk amongst such great hoserdom.

Edited by Defenseman13