• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorLidstrom5

Traveling game

Rate this topic

You know it makes me a bit angry that teams like Buffalo don't have to travel as much as the Red Wings. What a burden the Wings have in traveling to Calgary in the first round, San Jose in the second round, and possibly Vancouver or Anaheim in the third round. All these arenas are on the far west coast or Canada. All the Sabres have to do is basically step outside their arena into their opponents' arena right next door. It must be nice to play in your home state for 2 straight rounds and if the Sabres and the Devils win, a one state trek in the finals.

I honestly believe that the long treks have to come into play the further you go in the playoffs. More fatigue, less sleep, and sicknesses which may lead to more injuries. I know we may never see the Eastern Conference because Nashville is more east than Detroit but it's something the league should look into.

Anybody else feel this way?? :angry:

On the nhl.com website they have an article about how Spacek and Cullen are meeting up again in the Buff/NYR series, since they both played against eachother in the SCF last year, and Spacek directly addresses the issue of travel in the west compared to the east, says its insanely easier

Not much that can be done about that...they could modify the schedule to have the East make more road trips out West to provide a little more total travel parity, but that'd be unfair for teams in unfavorable geographic locations, like Tampa Bay. With the current unbalanced east/west spread of teams, there will always be big discrepancies between travel time...just part of the game.

I've heard rumors of some expansion soon, possibly getting the ball rolling as soon as next season. If this were to happen, KC is a prime candidate for a team as the rumors said. I haven't heard or read about the second expansion location, but I would think it's possible to add another team to Minnesota or western Canada, maybe even giving a team to Winnipeg again. Then there is the possibility of a team being put in Las Vegas,Portlan, or even Seattle. There are some decent options here. Anyhow, what I read went on to suggest that in such case, Detroit to the Eastern Conference, and adding both expansion teams to the West.

The more I think about this, the more I'm not sure if it could actually happen. While it would obviously he a huge advantage for Detroit to move to the East, it would create a huge imbalance of power, with two teams in the West that are bo doubt going to be less than good for a couple years.

It would also leave Chicago as the only Original 6 team in the West. This may not sound like a big deal, but I don't think the traditionalists who make these decisions would let this happen, I agree with this thinking. If you move Detroit to the West, that means Chicago would face the other 5 Original 6 teams once every other year. I think that is bad for hockey.

Lastly, I think there are stronger hockey markets out east. Cities like Quebec, Manchester, and Providence I think would get bigger draws.

However, it the opportunity came about to take Detroit to the East, I think it's something that the NHL must consider, possibly even taking Chicago along for the ride. As to how the NHL could swing this, and the situation that would allow it, who knows. But it would be great.

I've heard rumors of some expansion soon, possibly getting the ball rolling as soon as next season. If this were to happen, KC is a prime candidate for a team as the rumors said. I haven't heard or read about the second expansion location, but I would think it's possible to add another team to Minnesota or western Canada, maybe even giving a team to Winnipeg again. Then there is the possibility of a team being put in Las Vegas,Portlan, or even Seattle. There are some decent options here. Anyhow, what I read went on to suggest that in such case, Detroit to the Eastern Conference, and adding both expansion teams to the West.

The more I think about this, the more I'm not sure if it could actually happen. While it would obviously he a huge advantage for Detroit to move to the East, it would create a huge imbalance of power, with two teams in the West that are bo doubt going to be less than good for a couple years.

It would also leave Chicago as the only Original 6 team in the West. This may not sound like a big deal, but I don't think the traditionalists who make these decisions would let this happen, I agree with this thinking. If you move Detroit to the West, that means Chicago would face the other 5 Original 6 teams once every other year. I think that is bad for hockey.

Lastly, I think there are stronger hockey markets out east. Cities like Quebec, Manchester, and Providence I think would get bigger draws.

However, it the opportunity came about to take Detroit to the East, I think it's something that the NHL must consider, possibly even taking Chicago along for the ride. As to how the NHL could swing this, and the situation that would allow it, who knows. But it would be great.

Where did you hear these rumors? Link??

thats why if the west wins the cup, they have truley earned it by having to not only fight through the games themselves, but having to cope with jet-lag every other day. A true way to solve this is doing something like the NFL or MLB in having conferences that are distributed all over the country instead of East/West. my 2 cents

thats why if the west wins the cup, they have truley earned it by having to not only fight through the games themselves, but having to cope with jet-lag every other day. A true way to solve this is doing something like the NFL or MLB in having conferences that are distributed all over the country instead of East/West. my 2 cents

thats a really good idea, they should think about doing that in the near future.

You know it makes me a bit angry that teams like Buffalo don't have to travel as much as the Red Wings. What a burden the Wings have in traveling to Calgary in the first round, San Jose in the second round, and possibly Vancouver or Anaheim in the third round. All these arenas are on the far west coast or Canada. All the Sabres have to do is basically step outside their arena into their opponents' arena right next door. It must be nice to play in your home state for 2 straight rounds and if the Sabres and the Devils win, a one state trek in the finals.

I honestly believe that the long treks have to come into play the further you go in the playoffs. More fatigue, less sleep, and sicknesses which may lead to more injuries. I know we may never see the Eastern Conference because Nashville is more east than Detroit but it's something the league should look into.

Anybody else feel this way?? :angry:

This is nothing new to the Red Wings since they've been in the Western Conference for a while now since the conferences were re-formatted. The same thing with Columbus when they joined the league. They have just as much travel as the Wings being in the Western Conference. Minnesota has lengthy travel as well, playing in the same division as Colorado, Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton.

It's a pain sometimes, but no point in crying over spilled mik, it's been this way for a while and we can't do anything about it.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Go back to Wales and Campbell and distribute it as AFC and NFC or AL and NL. The Isles and Rangers could be in different conferences and put 3 Original 6 in each. There could be inter-conference play for 1/4 of the season and all teams and FANS would have to deal with travel and time zone terror. Also, the play-offs would be MUCH more equal. That would be awesome to have a series in NYC, then TX, then CO, then BUF.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Columbus, Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville, and St. Louis all travel as much as the Wings. While Columbus is the only one in an Eastern time zone besids Detroit, the others still feel the effects of going west.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I don't think it is that big of a deal in the playoffs. At most, they will fly out west twice during a series. If the series goes 5 games or less, they are only making one flight there and back and then have significant rest time anyway.

I think it would be different if they were going back and forth one game after another, but you basically play 2 games in Detroit and fly to San Jose and stay there for 3-4 days and fly back, not a big deal if you ask me.

Here's my quick solution.

Wales

Patrick

Anaheim

Chicago

Florida

Dallas

Edmonton

Montreal

Vancouver

Minnesota

Smythe

Calgary

Los Angeles

Ottawa

NY Rangers

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Campbell

Norris

Colorado

Detroit

Tampa Bay

Toronto

San Jose

Washington

Carolina

St. Louis

Adams

Columbus

Nashville

Atlanta

Boston

New Jersey

NY Islanders

Phoenix

Each division keeps old and new rivalries in tact and adds regional rivalries (Atlanta v Nashville, Pitts. v. Phila, etc). Also, 3 Original 6 teams in each conference.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

I know we may never see the Eastern Conference because Nashville is more east than Detroit

uhhh... no it's not. try looking a ta map...

Detroit has it easy compared to teams like Dallas and San Jose. Dallas' nearest division opponent is about 800 miles away and San Jose's is about 500. At least Detroit has teams like Columbus and Minnesota...

Edited by Samadelphia

Unless the western conference gets 2 new teams or the teams are split up MLB style, there's nothing that can be done about it, other than hoping west coast teams don't make the playoffs.

Exactly.

It just so happens that San Jose, Anaheim, Vancouver, and Calgary all have good teams right now.

In 97 Detroit played St.Louis, Anahem, and Colorado.

In 98 it was Pheonix, St.Louis, and Dallas

In 2002 it was Vancouver, St.Louis, and Colorado

This year is crazy. But if Nashville or Minnesota had won, travel would have worked out differently.

Who knows maybe in a few years the emergence of Chicago, Columbus, re-emergence of St. Louis, and further improvement of Nashiville may bring more geographical balance back to the Western Conference.

I don't think it is that big of a deal in the playoffs. At most, they will fly out west twice during a series. If the series goes 5 games or less, they are only making one flight there and back and then have significant rest time anyway.

I think it would be different if they were going back and forth one game after another, but you basically play 2 games in Detroit and fly to San Jose and stay there for 3-4 days and fly back, not a big deal if you ask me.

Statistics prove you wrong.

Wings' playoff series records since 1994 vs various time zones, through the end of round one this year.

Eastern: 3-1

Central: 7-0

Mountain: 6-5

Pacific: 5-3

That's a pretty huge disconnect in winning percentages between Central/Eastern and Mountain/Pacific. Made even greater by the fact the one loss to an Eastern team was in the Cup finals. as opposed to three first-round losses to Pacific, as well as a first round loss and three second round losses to Mountain teams.

It's pretty clear--if the Wings lose in the playoffs the past ten or fifteen years, travel has likely been a factor.

uhhh... no it's not. try looking a ta map...

Detroit has it easy compared to teams like Dallas and San Jose. Dallas' nearest division opponent is about 800 miles away and San Jose's is about 500. At least Detroit has teams like Columbus and Minnesota...

San Jose has two divisional rivals within 500 miles. Same for Detroit.

Statistics prove you wrong.

Wings' playoff series records since 1994 vs various time zones, through the end of round one this year.

Eastern: 3-1

Central: 7-0

Mountain: 6-5

Pacific: 5-3

That's a pretty huge disconnect in winning percentages between Central/Eastern and Mountain/Pacific. Made even greater by the fact the one loss to an Eastern team was in the Cup finals. as opposed to three first-round losses to Pacific, as well as a first round loss and three second round losses to Mountain teams.

It's pretty clear--if the Wings lose in the playoffs the past ten or fifteen years, travel has likely been a factor.

Has far more to do with the team they are playing than the location of that team geographically.