• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hatchet Barry

Pre-GAME 1 (4/26): Sharks @ Red Wings - 7:30 PM ET

Rate this topic

Only if you think it has to be one or the other. The Sharks bring both physicality and skill. All the time. Every shift. And they're huge. They AVERAGE 6'2 215 acros the front line and are one of the least penalized teams in the league BECAUSE of their size.

Want an example? Watch the Preds series. Games 1 and 2 were reasonably close. The teams split. But as the series wore on, the physicality, size and relentlessness of the Sharks simply wore them out.

That's what you;re going to find. Maybe the Wings get one at home, but by the time they return for game 5, they're going to want to have nothing more to do with the Sharks combination of size, speed, forechecking, skill and the ability to roll 4 lines...

a. You are assuming the Wings have zero physicality and that they will just take and not give.

b. or, you assume the Wings will give and the Sharks wil not feel it (HUGE mistake, ask the Flame fans and Dion Phaneuf)

c. you assume the Wings have 1 or 2 scoring lines and the rest fill up bench space. Once again, ask the Flames.

d. the best defenseman in the league is NOT Zdeno Chara, so size matters not. Stick work and positioning matters, ask our top D man (that would be 4 time Norris winner Nicklas Lidstrom)

e. the Wings excel at relentless forechecking, ask any team other than yours, and especially ask the Calgary Flames, Dion Phaneuf (for reference, study the plays of Daniel Cleary and Kris Draper; for more reference see Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg)

Edit: clarity. I had to name drop because he probably only knows the SJ roster.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

You know what my one wish is?

That these damn Shark fans stop carrying on that "OMG we've got Size, Skillz and we play FOUR LINEZ!" repeatedly since Monday...

Yeah, we get it. We've talked about it before you even got here.

So how about a nice cup of PSTFU (I do have my manners ;)) until after the series starts?

Wings in 7.

No, wait... Wings in 7.

And again: Wings in 7.

a. You are assuming the Wings have zero physicality and that they will just take and not give.

b. or, you assume the Wings will give and the Sharks wil not feel it (HUGE mistake, ask the Flame fans and Dion Phaneuf)

c. you assume the Wings have 1 or 2 scoring lines and the rest fill up bench space. Once again, ask the Flames.

d. the best defenseman in the league is NOT Zdeno Chara, so size matters not. Stick work and positioning matters, ask our top D man (that would be 4 time Norris winner Nicklas Lidstrom)

e. the Wings excel at relentless forechecking, ask any team other than yours, and especially ask the Calgary Flames, Dion Phaneuf (for reference, study the plays of Daniel Cleary and Kris Draper; for more reference see Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg)

Edit: clarity

a. No I'm not, I'm assuming that the Wings have some physicality but have not faced a team like the Sharks. Not only did the Sharks physicality crush the Wings in the regular season, but they added Guerin and Rivet.

b. All lines can score, but the Wings do not have a 4th line that can match the like of Clowe, Goc, Bernier.

c. Zdeno Chara is vastly overrated. I've said so for 2 years. That being said, there's a reason the experts are nearly unanimous in picking the Sharks. They are huge, they are fast, and they are skilled. They forecheck relentlessly and will wear the Wings down.

d. Again trying to equate what the Wings did to the Flames to what they'll do to the Sharks. The Flames are not in the same league as the Sharks, and you will find out soon.

Sharks in 5...

Edited by Samadelphia

that's what I've been saying!! :lol:

it's also the reason the Sharks are nearly unanimous picks by the experts. You think they don't see what I'm seeing? Even the Free Press is scared...

:lol:

You'll be crying when Datsyuk undresses your D and sends Nabbys jock-strap into the upper bowl. :P

You know what my one wish is?

That these damn Shark fans stop carrying on that "OMG we've got Size, Skillz and we play FOUR LINEZ!" repeatedly since Monday...

Tell you what. I'll stop mentioning the Sharks advantage in size, and speed, and 4 lines, and forechecking, and skill...

...if the Wings fans stop telling me that they handled the Flames 'physicality', so they canalso handle the Sharks'

deal?

Sharks in 5...

Edited by Samadelphia

a. No I'm not, I'm assuming that the Wings have some physicality but have not faced a team like the Sharks. Not only did the Sharks physicality crush the Wings in the regular season, but they added Guerin and Rivet.

b. All lines can score, but the Wings do not have a 4th line that can match the like of Clowe, Goc, Bernier.

c. Zdeno Chara is vastly overrated. I've said so for 2 years. That being said, there's a reason the experts are nearly unanimous in picking the Sharks. They are huge, they are fast, and they are skilled. They forecheck relentlessly and will wear the Wings down.

d. Again trying to equate what the Wings did to the Flames to what they'll do to the Sharks. The Flames are not in the same league as the Sharks, and you will find out soon.

Sharks in 5...

a. Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. God created the Sharks in his own image and I am basically breaking a commandment in thinking that the Sharks are NOT the best team in the NHL.

b. Yeah, when I think timely scoring, I think of those guys.

c. Ok, whatever you say Jarome.

d. Again, trying to equate that the Wings played their absolute best and cannot improve. You are dreaming if you think the Wings were firing on all cylinders against the Flames. Just remember, the Preds are NOT the Wings; and one series victory over a Central division lackey with poor judgment does not equal a Cup for you.

e. Nabokov is 4-10 all time against the Wings, And 0-1 this season. Hasek > Nabokov.

Wings in 6!!!

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Tell you what. I'll stop mentioning the Sharks advantage in size, and speed, and 4 lines, and forechecking, and skill...

...if the Wings fans stop telling me that they handled the Flames 'physicality', so they canalso handle the Sharks'

deal?

Sharks in 5...

Maybe I'm just delusional here, but this is a Red Wings fan site, right? You rambling off prior to the series start isn't going to change any opinions here -- so why bother trying to drill something home after making your original point? It's so repetitive your banter starting to sound like Rain Man around here...

"247 toothpicks... 247.... Too big.... Too big... Roll 4 lines.... Roll 4 lines... Too skilled... I'm an excellent driver... Excellent driver... Time for Wapner... Time for Wapner..."

Wings in 7!

Maybe I'm just delusional here, but this is a Red Wings fan site, right? You rambling off prior to the series start isn't going to change any opinions here -- so why bother trying to drill something home after making your original point? It's so repetitive your banter starting to sound like Rain Man around here...

"247 toothpicks... 247.... Too big.... Too big... Roll 4 lines.... Roll 4 lines... Too skilled... I'm an excellent driver... Excellent driver... Time for Wapner... Time for Wapner..."

Wings in 7!

oh man,..that was lethal matt.

Only if you think it has to be one or the other. The Sharks bring both physicality and skill. All the time. Every shift. And they're huge. They AVERAGE 6'2 215 acros the front line and are one of the least penalized teams in the league BECAUSE of their size.

Want an example? Watch the Preds series. Games 1 and 2 were reasonably close. The teams split. But as the series wore on, the physicality, size and relentlessness of the Sharks simply wore them out.

That's what you;re going to find. Maybe the Wings get one at home, but by the time they return for game 5, they're going to want to have nothing more to do with the Sharks combination of size, speed, forechecking, skill and the ability to roll 4 lines...

Are you Pierre McGuire? Do you make love to Dion Phaneuf?

im worried about this series... no one is picking the wings, except us..... we need to win this one!. and then 3 more.:)

most are picking sharks in 7...which means they really dont know whos gonna win, since burnside put it nicely saying game 7 picks, people dont know who is gonna win but they either go with gut instinct or lottery hahaha, well be fine, cmon boys!

Wings in 7!

...and Matt is now officially INTO this series. :D

I :huh: I don't recall that rule..........must be a guppy thing.

But we all know the the largest team always comes out on top, just look how dominant the "LEGION OF DOOM!" line was in their series with the Wings.................

...and Matt is now officially INTO this series. :D

Oh, I've been into it. I relish the role of the underdog in this case (and yes, I think the Wings are underdogs). That being said, something feels "different" with this Red Wings team... Like a chip on the shoulder and a distinct feeling that we haven't seen this team play anywhere near its best hockey yet.

Oh, I've been into it. I relish the role of the underdog in this case (and yes, I think the Wings are underdogs). That being said, something feels "different" with this Red Wings team... Like a chip on the shoulder and a distinct feeling that we haven't seen this team play anywhere near its best hockey yet.

I agree. The only adversity they faced so far has been in the media. And when Calgary pulled even, the closest thing to actual adversity so far, they stomped on them. If the Sharks do bring their 'A' game, then they better expect a much better Wings team than the one that played Calgary and a SUPER HUGE better team than they played in January.

I have that sense too, but I am holding my breath for this series. They do have a chip on their shoulder, and I remember the last series the Wings were vastly undersized and EXPECTED to lose with a relentless coach behind the bench. I think the year was 1997 ;)