• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DreamsofHope

Brian Rolston on Wings Sharks Series

Rate this topic

If there is a better place for this, please move it. I just wanted to say that I just read ESPN's article where Brian Rolston gives his thoughts on the Wings Sharks series. I am curious if he saw any of the Calgary series, but he stated that the wings defence is their weakest piece. I tend to disagree. I feel like we have an amazing defense this year. He claims goaltending is our strongest piece, which I don't generally agree or disagree with. He also states that Nabby isn't proven to win the big games, but predicts the Sharks in seven, stating that Nabby might prove himself in this series. I would just say that the Wings weakest piece right now is injuries. Any thoughts?

Here is the link

some guy at TSN.ca wrote a nice thing about predictions. something like "xxx in 7 means you think teams are quite level but the xxx will prevail" :) and the truth is this very Game 7 would be at Joe with Wings definitely going for it. I can see Sharks winning such game, but it's definitely more likely that Wings would do it. so I'd say this "Sharks in 7" call is a bonk. I'd say they finish it in 6 or we survive it with Game 7.

I definitely disagree that our D is the weakest piece. Wings were actually among league strongest defensive teams and they have both skill and discipline in this department. without Kronwall and Lebda we are shorter, but with Pain Train elevating his game it doesn't look bad.

I'd rather say we're weak at physicall offense. I mean the ability to bang through oposing D-men and crash the net. this is where we need Bertuzzi to be good.

if Hasek is our strongest piece... I'd not call it that way. he's definitely on the pluses side, but not a strongest piece. I'd give this call to our defense

I have to agree with the injuries argument. we need Homer and Lebda back, and it would be great to see Kronwall in the lineup should we get past Sharks

I'd rather say we're weak at physicall offense. I mean the ability to bang through oposing D-men and crash the net. this is where we need Bertuzzi to be good.

Yeah that is kind of what he was saying. He said that some of their players could pound our defensemen into submission, or something along those lines.

Yeah that is kind of what he was saying. He said that some of their players could pound our defensemen into submission, or something along those lines.

that would be reversal of what I'm speaking. that is: Sharks supposedly able to drag through

our D with size/weight and crash the net.

and about that I have mixed feelings. they do have size and determination to go to the net

and I obviously can see them doing this (as finesse messing with Nick Lidstrom won't work)

but once refs start calling penalties they may have a second though about that. plus: I don't

see our D being that ineffective against them.

Edited by akustyk

Like it or not guys, the Wings defense is their biggest weakness. Lidstrom is not invincible when it comes to big guys pressuring him. He's 37 years old. Schneider and Chelios can get worn down by a tight forecheck. Like I've been saying since the Playoffs started, if the older guys on defense can hold it together and not get shaken up when they get nailed we should be fine.

Like it or not guys, the Wings defense is their biggest weakness. Lidstrom is not invincible when it comes to big guys pressuring him. He's 37 years old. Schneider and Chelios can get worn down by a tight forecheck. Like I've been saying since the Playoffs started, if the older guys on defense can hold it together and not get shaken up when they get nailed we should be fine.

The thing that's always amazed, and I do mean AMAZED me about Lidstrom's play is that it seems to be like a fine wine, getting much better with age. I hate to use that cliche, but has anyone else noticed this, or am I off my rocker?

Word,

Ldi03

I think the wings have an excellent defense. It is one of the best teams in the league to keep the score once they've got the advantage. I would better say that the weakest part is the goaltender, but on the other side it is hard to be into the game for a goalie when the first really good shot you have to stop is coming after 10 to 12 minutes.

I think that rolston should look, at the season's stats too, 'cause the wings had one of the best D in the league!!

In the Espn report, maybe he made a confusion between WILD & WINGS!!!!

The thing about the Wings defense is that the skill they have pretty much keeps the big guys from being able to get close enough to them to actually hit.

Just go back and watch the Calgary series. Iginla, Dion, etc., and the rest of that happy band of goons couldn't get close enough to make clean hits so they just played dirty.

You'd think being a Michigan native he'd take our side. :P

Ah whatever. Since when is Rolston a sports analyst anyways? It's not like he's Jeremy Roenick or someone who always does this kind of stuff.

Rollie is just hoping beyond all hope that his team didn't get beat by a team who gets crushed in the very next round.... If we lose we all want it to be against the Stanley Cup champs.

Jut one more person who sees the Sharks as the better team. ho hum...

You sure talk a lot of smack for a team that has never won anything, and especially in a series that hasn't even started yet. Funny thing is, you always whine when people call you out on it, considering you are on a RED WINGS board. I guarantee if Brian Rolston had said Red Wings in seven, you would call him an idiot. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Brian Rolston does not determine the winner of this series.

Edited by GoWings1905

I'm sure Kipper would have loved to only see 20 SOG a game. I'm not claiming the Wings D is the best thing since sliced bread but come on, weak is the wrong word to be using, I would use consistent.

You sure talk a lot of smack for a team that has never won anything, and especially in a series that hasn't even started yet. Funny thing is, you always whine when people call you out on it, considering you are on a RED WINGS board. I guarantee if Brian Rolston had said Red Wings in seven, you would call him an idiot. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Brian Rolston does not determine the winner of this series.

And you sseem to be banking on your team's history pulling it out rather than the players on the ice. Apparently the numbers in the rafter will be playing tonight...

And you sseem to be banking on your team's history pulling it out rather than the players on the ice. Apparently the numbers in the rafter will be playing tonight...

Sounds to me like someone who is jealous of the history of our team. Good idea, lets put our guys from the rafters against yours. Oh, wait, you don't have any. Ok, lets put our hall of famers up against yours. Oh, wait, you don't have any of those either. If you want to look at history, look at the years since the San Jose Sharks began, 1991. Whose won the cup during that time frame? Not the Sharks. Whose had several 100+ point seasons. Not the Sharks. I'd suggest if you want to debate the issue, you leave history out of it, because you'll lose that battle every time.

As for our guys on the ice, which one of your defensemen has won the Norris more times than Nick Lidstrom, please refresh my memory? Oh, and it just so happens that Lidstrom is on the list of the top 5 offensive leaders in the first round. Who is on that list from San Jose? No one. Oh, wait, Nick is on the list of top 5 players with assists too. Oh, sorry, no one from San Jose made that list either. Johan Franzen is on the list of top 5 players for plus/minus. Hmmm, no one from San Jose again. Goals against average, Hasek is on that list. Ooops, neither of your netminders made that list either. Oh, look, Nabakov made the list for wins, too bad Hasek is tied with him on that list. :huh: