• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Sting 11

POST GAME - Game 1 (4/26) SJ 2 DET 0

Rate this topic

very disappointing game last night. the 1st period was pretty open with chances at both ends - unfortunately san jose took their chances and we didn't.

san jose then sat back for the 2nd and 3rd periods and their defensive coverage was outstanding - the wings never really looked like getting back into the game.

however, it is not all doom and gloom - as good as san jose were defensively there is no way the wings will be that bad offensively again. furthermore the sharks' forwards did not cause as many problems as i was expecting. it is pretty obvious that the wings need a good start tomorrow - the 1st goal will be crucial.

Hi there, first post here, yes I am a sharks fan. no, im not a troll.

Go sharks.

welcome to LGW, enjoy your stay.

Hey, first post. Sharks fan, but the Wings have always been second favorite, and I don't have a third.

welcome to you as well.

Personally I though other then the first 10 minutes Detroit played very well.

I think that the give aways causes us alot of problems.

We never really got good chances on the Sharks. They played a great game. I think that is the best the Sharks could do and I think that Detroit can play much better, we have seen better games out of our guys last series.

Dont get me wrong, the Sharks played a solid game, they keep detroit to the outside, they made it really hard to go though the middle of the ice.

I still have all the confidence in the world for the Wings, Like I said, I dont see the Sharks playing much better then they did in Game 1 and I though Detroit carried the play for 50 minutes and that other then the first 10 minutes (24 seconds) the Wings played a soild game.

We will see how they responed on Saturday afternoon, look for Detroit to come out with alot more Energy in the first.

San Jose needs to play the exact same way and get those lucky bounces. The 2nd goal was nothing but lucky but you have to work hard for lucky goals.

I honestly did not see the Sharks speed or size make a huge difference in game 1, it seemed like it took detroit some time to get going and that caused the 2 goal lead for San Jose. I think if Detroit could have scored at all, they would have won that game, but the Sharks played great, they bent but never broke.

GO WINGS, I know you boys can still do it. We have seen it before. GO WINGS.

good post but i would direct this conversation to the post game thread already pinned.

Personally I though other then the first 10 minutes Detroit played very well.

I think that the give aways causes us alot of problems.

We never really got good chances on the Sharks. They played a great game. I think that is the best the Sharks could do and I think that Detroit can play much better, we have seen better games out of our guys last series.

Dont get me wrong, the Sharks played a solid game, they keep detroit to the outside, they made it really hard to go though the middle of the ice.

I still have all the confidence in the world for the Wings, Like I said, I dont see the Sharks playing much better then they did in Game 1 and I though Detroit carried the play for 50 minutes and that other then the first 10 minutes (24 seconds) the Wings played a soild game.

We will see how they responed on Saturday afternoon, look for Detroit to come out with alot more Energy in the first.

San Jose needs to play the exact same way and get those lucky bounces. The 2nd goal was nothing but lucky but you have to work hard for lucky goals.

I honestly did not see the Sharks speed or size make a huge difference in game 1, it seemed like it took detroit some time to get going and that caused the 2 goal lead for San Jose. I think if Detroit could have scored at all, they would have won that game, but the Sharks played great, they bent but never broke.

Guest MrSandMan

I think despite the shut-out, detroit had some very good chances... they just weren't there to capitalize on the rebounds... N-Bokov had left some horrible rebounds... I think that'll be their weakness.

All-N-All, I think Detroit can take them. I have a feeling the Sharks won't play so well at home.'

This will be a 7 game series.

Versus and the NHL conspired to have me miss the game, and I did, but it doesn't sound like particularly good news: Wings lost, shut out, Homer out for a few more games, Hank aching, along with the injuries to Calder and Sammy (and lord knows who else).

I don't have much to say about the game, obviously, but Saturday is a brand new day, a brand new game, and a brand new chance to tie the series.

Guest MrSandMan

Holmer would excel at a game like last night. He thrives off those rebounds. The Demolition man could have had a hat trick easily.

Wings in 7

I think both teams played very well, and as I said yesterday, if both teams play well, the Sharks win. In order for the Wings to win they are going to have to figure out a way to get the Sharks off their game. Something no team has been able to do in nearly 2 months...

I think both teams played very well, and as I said yesterday, if both teams play well, the Sharks win. In order for the Wings to win they are going to have to figure out a way to get the Sharks off their game. Something no team has been able to do in nearly 2 months...

Neither team played well.

It was such an unexciting game.

I'll be at game 2 tomorrow, hoping for a different result.

There's been a lot of talk about physicality, but the word means different things with San Jose than it does Calgary. It's apples and oranges. The Flames are physical in that they take the body, hit everything in sight and try to wear teams down that way. The Sharks aren't that kind of team. They can play that game, but they don't take the ice looking to just plow the other team into the boards. They use their size and the advantage that brings - namely, once their forwards get the puck down low, they can't be moved off it - and dare teams to stop them.

The Sharks took away the center of the ice. They pretty much forced the Wings to the perimeter and let them have their room there. It's a smart strategy, since the scoring chances from those areas of the ice are generally poor. The Wings shot totals were even more misleading than usual. The Sharks changed their game once they got the early lead, which creates a false sense that the Wings took control of the game after that.

The Wings have to get off to a much better start in game 2, avoid the stupid turnovers and play with more determination and energy. Crash the net right from the get go.

Oh, and the loss of Homer really hurts. I heard on the radio today that it could be a couple weeks before he's back. That would really suck.

Well said. People need to remember that the Sharks are a very, very good team. Not only are they all very skilled but a lot of them are huge. The way they shutdown Detroit in the last 40 minutes was impressive. They reminded me a lot of the Wings in 97 and 98. They followed a game plan to a T and never gave the Wings an inch. It's sad to say but I never felt that the Wings were in the game to come back against them. San Jose did a thoroughly perfect job against them.

Lets hope the Wings can bring more to the table for Game 2. But if they don't, don't get down on the Wings. I expected them to beat the Flames, but the Sharks are a totally different animal. There would be no shame in losing to this club.

its only game 1 and its far from over .......but i think its clear we need bigger and younger bodies next year and guys like schneider and lang are gone next year .....if it were up to me kopecky would be dressing up for game 2

We wouldn't be in playoffs without Schneider. Enjoy the team as it is now. We didn't get beat in defense. I couldn't see what Lindstrom did to get called but they will score on any team on the power play if you take out their top Defensemen. If anyone is to blame it would be Lindstrom. No power play goal no loss.

Well said. People need to remember that the Sharks are a very, very good team. Not only are they all very skilled but a lot of them are huge. The way they shutdown Detroit in the last 40 minutes was impressive. They reminded me a lot of the Wings in 97 and 98. They followed a game plan to a T and never gave the Wings an inch. It's sad to say but I never felt that the Wings were in the game to come back against them. San Jose did a thoroughly perfect job against them.

Lets hope the Wings can bring more to the table for Game 2. But if they don't, don't get down on the Wings. I expected them to beat the Flames, but the Sharks are a totally different animal. There would be no shame in losing to this club.

See I have to Disagree, San Jose sat back alot after their 2 goal lead, All it would have took yesterday was a cheap goal for Detroit and Detroit wins the game. Detroit put pressure on San Jose the whole second part of the game.

Detroit had their chances and just didnt finish, they had a lot of pressure, just never turned it into anything. The Power Plays were pretty good, the block shots are killing us, but If you watch the first Detroit PP then you will see the samething I saw, the wings were hitting shalfs of sticks, outside of gloves. When the wings are on their game, that kind of stuff doesnt happen, Dont get me wrong, San Jose played a great game, I though they forced the wings into doing stuff faster then they wanted to. My point is that Detroit more or less gave San Jose that game, the turn overs and the lack of energy cost the game, not how good San Jose played or didnt play.

Detroit was the better team last night for 50 of the 60 minutes.

If Detroit can get those "playoff Goals", the ones that dont look pretty then they will win the series.

I'll be at game 2 tomorrow, hoping for a different result.

There's been a lot of talk about physicality, but the word means different things with San Jose than it does Calgary. It's apples and oranges. The Flames are physical in that they take the body, hit everything in sight and try to wear teams down that way. The Sharks aren't that kind of team. They can play that game, but they don't take the ice looking to just plow the other team into the boards. They use their size and the advantage that brings - namely, once their forwards get the puck down low, they can't be moved off it - and dare teams to stop them.

The Sharks took away the center of the ice. They pretty much forced the Wings to the perimeter and let them have their room there. It's a smart strategy, since the scoring chances from those areas of the ice are generally poor. The Wings shot totals were even more misleading than usual. The Sharks changed their game once they got the early lead, which creates a false sense that the Wings took control of the game after that.

The Wings have to get off to a much better start in game 2, avoid the stupid turnovers and play with more determination and energy. Crash the net right from the get go.

Oh, and the loss of Homer really hurts. I heard on the radio today that it could be a couple weeks before he's back. That would really suck.

Once again BlueMonk you hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have said it more perfectly. Any "chances" the Wings had, the Sharks gave to them. They'll let Datsyuk, Maltby, Lang and the rest shoot from 20 feet out all day with nobody screening Nabakov.

Our best chance to win that game was when Dats had that chance in tight but lost the handle and played with it too much.

I'm not down on anyone, but our best players need to be our best players in game 2. Datsyuk and Zetts need to be more visible for 60 minutes - playing injured or not.

After the first two goals, Detroit really took control of this game, its too bad they couldnt capatilize... I agree Nabakov wasnt Spectacular, but either way he got the job done and he did make a couple of nice saves along the way. A lot of the perimiter shots that everyone was complaining about were Screens/Deflections and he managed to be in the right position to stop them.

San Jose's first goal was a good one, there was not much Dom could do, he nearly had it, but nearly doesnt count. The second one Hasek probably should have had, but either way the team in front of him didnt even manage to put up one goal, so it didn't really make a difference. Im still waiting (and hoping) that Hasek will be able to steal a game for us, were going to need him to be exceptional at some point, not just good...

This was only the second game in a couple of years that Detroit has been shut out, that is quite the accomplishment for San Jose. Detroit didn't really have any bounces going there way all night, Im not blaming the loss on that, but lets hope they are more favorable for Detroit on Saturday.

The only thing I can add to this long thread is..........I really think Lilja was drunk! Or atleast on the recovery from being on the piss the day before...he was awful.

Just a thought....If we need energy (and we need energy)...way not a Dats-Z-Cleary line?

After the first two goals, Detroit really took control of this game, its too bad they couldnt capatilize... I agree Nabakov wasnt Spectacular, but either way he got the job done and he did make a couple of nice saves along the way. A lot of the perimiter shots that everyone was complaining about were Screens/Deflections and he managed to be in the right position to stop them.

San Jose's first goal was a good one, there was not much Dom could do, he nearly had it, but nearly doesnt count. The second one Hasek probably should have had, but either way the team in front of him didnt even manage to put up one goal, so it didn't really make a difference. Im still waiting (and hoping) that Hasek will be able to steal a game for us, were going to need him to be exceptional at some point, not just good...

This was only the second game in a couple of years that Detroit has been shut out, that is quite the accomplishment for San Jose. Detroit didn't really have any bounces going there way all night, Im not blaming the loss on that, but lets hope they are more favorable for Detroit on Saturday.

The game must look really different in person and on TV... Because Detroit came out with a bit of fire in them getting some chances up close... then after the sharks got the 2nd goal their play turned to slop. People were missing assigments and San Jose literally kept control of the puck for the remainder of the game. I must have been watching the wrong game last night :unsure: The crowd was taken out early and they really didn't give us much the cheer for the rest of the way. This had to have been the most boring display of hockey I have witnessed in person at the Joe in a long time. The win or loss, the entertainment value of the game did NOT warrent the $144 we spent two nosebleed seats.

I thought Calgary Shut us out back to back games to eliminate us in 2004?

May 1 Flames 1, at Red Wings 0 none (Kiprusoff shutout) Conroy

May 3 19:13, OT at Flames 1, Red Wings 0 none (Kiprusoff shutout) Gelinas

Edited by OsGOD

I agree with most of the folks above, I don't think we played badly ... for most of the game we controlled the puck, we outshot them 2 to 1, and we didn't give up many quality chances ... what I did notice is that we seemed just a bit more tired than they were. Our guys were hustling and trying, they just didn't have that extra jump in their skates. How many of those rebounds could we have put in if our guys were just a half-step faster (or if Homer were in)? How many passes slipped just out of our reach, that with another half step would have generated more scoring chances? Part of this is certainly SJ's size and speed, take nothing away from them, they played well, but even in open ice our guys just looked a bit tired ... you know how if you're really tired and you sleep for an hour you feel refreshed, but if you sleep for 3 hours you wake up feeling worse than when you went to sleep? Maybe we had just enough time off to let the fatigue set in, but not enough time off to recuperate ... hopefully by Saturday we'll have our jump back.

Hmmm.. I thought Calder was the best Wing tonight. Doesn't mean he clicked with the line, but thought he was great regardless.

:blink: I thought he played like s***, anyone else?

The game must look really different in person and on TV... Because Detroit came out with a bit of fire in them getting some chances up close... then after the sharks got the 2nd goal their play turned to slop. People were missing assigments and San Jose literally kept control of the puck for the remainder of the game. I must have been watching the wrong game last night :unsure: The crowd was taken out early and they really didn't give us much the cheer for the rest of the way. This had to have been the most boring display of hockey I have witnessed in person at the Joe in a long time. The win or loss, the entertainment value of the game did NOT warrent the $144 we spent two nosebleed seats.

I thought Calgary Shut us out back to back games to eliminate us in 2004?

May 1 Flames 1, at Red Wings 0 none (Kiprusoff shutout) Conroy

May 3 19:13, OT at Flames 1, Red Wings 0 none (Kiprusoff shutout) Gelinas

I think I was watching the same game as you as well. The Sharks owned us that game from top to bottom. Like I said, any room the Wings had was given to them by the Sharks. They thoroughly and utterly dominated us last night.

On a side topic, I really, really wish Mike O'Connell had rememered his old team the Wings when he was shopping Big Joe around. I'd love to have him on our squad. In the first 10 minutes of that game he looked like a man among boys out there. After the 2-0 lead, he went into defensive mode with the rest of the squad.

It was a very good win for the Sharks and we should all take our hats off to them. The Wings looked bad because the Sharks made them look bad.

we'll come back with guns-a-blazin' saturday folks.. no worries.

we DID NOT, and i repeat, DID NOT get out-played.

QFT

I've said it so many times already since the playoffs have started, but if the Wings establish the forecheck, and force the Sharks to make tough passes, those turnovers will occur, and you know the Wings have the guys that can put the puck in the net.

Game 2 can't come soon enough.

:blink: I thought he played like s***, anyone else?

Honestly, I didn't see any of our players last night playing "great" most, if not all, were just happy to be there in round 2 it seemed. I was totally unimpressed by the teams play and sure hope they turn it around.... They sorta have to in order to go any further. The fruitless shots on Nabakov need to stop. We are makING a player once again look superhuman which is far from the truth. YAY we had 30+ shots... YAY all but like 10 were from the perimeter and unscreened right into his chest. Nabokov's greatest save came 54 mins into the game.... THATS how bad our shot attempts were. The 30 shots on the board don't at all represent the numerous more that went Wide!

Edited by OsGOD

I agree with most of the folks above, I don't think we played badly ... for most of the game we controlled the puck, we outshot them 2 to 1, and we didn't give up many quality chances ... what I did notice is that we seemed just a bit more tired than they were. Our guys were hustling and trying, they just didn't have that extra jump in their skates. How many of those rebounds could we have put in if our guys were just a half-step faster (or if Homer were in)? How many passes slipped just out of our reach, that with another half step would have generated more scoring chances? Part of this is certainly SJ's size and speed, take nothing away from them, they played well, but even in open ice our guys just looked a bit tired ... you know how if you're really tired and you sleep for an hour you feel refreshed, but if you sleep for 3 hours you wake up feeling worse than when you went to sleep? Maybe we had just enough time off to let the fatigue set in, but not enough time off to recuperate ... hopefully by Saturday we'll have our jump back.

And where did 90% of those shots come from? About 35 feet out and from a terrible angle. I swear the Wings shot totals the past 5 years are the most overrated stat in the history of sports. First off, I swear the guy at the Joe just randomly clicks the Shot counter every now and then. And a very large percentage of our shots are from areas where, with the exception of Tim Chevaldae, any goalie on this planet could stop.

And we controlled the puck because San Jose let us. Where did we control the puck? From the parameter - where the Sharks wanted us.

The Wings looked tired because they were mentally fatigued from getting owned all night. The Sharks gave us no room to do anything in the danger zones. It was a complete lesson from start to finish.

The one thing the WIngs must do is get their PP going. Their strategy is so predictable and one-dimensional it's downright funny. Our PP woes will continue unless the coaching staff can come up with different looks with the man advantage.