• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Sting 11

POST GAME - Game 1 (4/26) SJ 2 DET 0

Rate this topic

I think I was watching the same game as you as well. The Sharks owned us that game from top to bottom. Like I said, any room the Wings had was given to them by the Sharks. They thoroughly and utterly dominated us last night.

On a side topic, I really, really wish Mike O'Connell had rememered his old team the Wings when he was shopping Big Joe around. I'd love to have him on our squad. In the first 10 minutes of that game he looked like a man among boys out there. After the 2-0 lead, he went into defensive mode with the rest of the squad.

It was a very good win for the Sharks and we should all take our hats off to them. The Wings looked bad because the Sharks made them look bad.

100% agree. He have a lot work to do.

Edited by Henkka

Sharks fans have just as much right to post here as Wings fans do, as long as they abide by the forum rules. There's not much purpose to having a forum if we stifle voices and sit around agreeing with each other all the time. Consider that once you sober up.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what any of the Sharks fans posted. They gave their opinions and insight on the game.

The way I see it you are being rude and for no good reason. Maybe sober up before you come out slamming them.

Noted. I am sober and I realize my post was pointless and out of line. I went back and read all the Sharks fans post and there was only one that I found that was stupid and pointless. My post was also stupid and pointless. I agree. I apologize. I don't want to be known as a troll on here. I usually have intelligant things to say and input to provide. I think a new rule should be devised. NO DRUNK POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Thanks.

And where did 90% of those shots come from? About 35 feet out and from a terrible angle. I swear the Wings shot totals the past 5 years are the most overrated stat in the history of sports. First off, I swear the guy at the Joe just randomly clicks the Shot counter every now and then. And a very large percentage of our shots are from areas where, with the exception of Tim Chevaldae, any goalie on this planet could stop.

And we controlled the puck because San Jose let us. Where did we control the puck? From the parameter - where the Sharks wanted us.

The Wings looked tired because they were mentally fatigued from getting owned all night. The Sharks gave us no room to do anything in the danger zones. It was a complete lesson from start to finish.

The one thing the WIngs must do is get their PP going. Their strategy is so predictable and one-dimensional it's downright funny. Our PP woes will continue unless the coaching staff can come up with different looks with the man advantage.

I agree the shots were for the most part lousy, and yes, shot counts don't mean anything when it comes to quality of scoring chances ... but they generate quite a few good rebound opportunities that we just couldn't seem to get to. Now maybe that is to SJ's credit, no doubt they played a great defensive game after gaining the 2-0 lead. I don't know about the mental fatigue ... I thought we looked pretty flat from the start. No question the PP is a huge problem ... even with Homer last series it didn't look good, and yesterday it was downright pitiful ...

I agree the shots were for the most part lousy, and yes, shot counts don't mean anything when it comes to quality of scoring chances ... but they generate quite a few good rebound opportunities that we just couldn't seem to get to. Now maybe that is to SJ's credit, no doubt they played a great defensive game after gaining the 2-0 lead. I don't know about the mental fatigue ... I thought we looked pretty flat from the start. No question the PP is a huge problem ... even with Homer last series it didn't look good, and yesterday it was downright pitiful ...

Yeah. It looked brutal and it certainly hurt with Homer being out. I just think the coaches need to look at creating offense that isn't generated off a Lidstrom or Schneider one-timer.

With big bodies like Lang, Franzen and Bertuzzi, I would hope they could devise a plan that has us throwing it downlow and having those 3 outmuscle the D for loose pucks and rebounds.

Yeah. It looked brutal and it certainly hurt with Homer being out. I just think the coaches need to look at creating offense that isn't generated off a Lidstrom or Schneider one-timer.

With big bodies like Lang, Franzen and Bertuzzi, I would hope they could devise a plan that has us throwing it downlow and having those 3 outmuscle the D for loose pucks and rebounds.

I hope they devise a plan to keep Frazen or Bert parked in front of the net... Isn't that the benefit of guys like that to add two more screeners to aid Holmer when he is off the ice? They were none existent in front of the net last night... hell when the play was behind the net... the closest people we had in front of the net were the blue liners.

Edited by OsGOD

We're going to have a hard time winning if we dont pick up the physical end of the game.

Yup ... I think a lot of people assume that a physical game works in SJ's favor because of their size, but I think it's the reverse. Because of their size and speed they have the advantage when it comes to controlling space ... if we don't bring a physical game to them to try to open up some space on the ice I think we're going to continue to have a hard time finding room to skate, especially in their zone.

I hope they devise a plan to keep Frazen or Bert parked in front of the net... Isn't that the benefit of guys like that to add two more screeners to aid Holmer when he is off the ice? They were none existent in front of the net last night... hell when the play was behind the net... the closest people we had in front of the net were the blue liners.

I agree, but I don't think Bert likes parking in front ... maybe he doesn't want to take the crosschecks to his back? I don't know, but it seems like he prefers to skate around rather than park it ... the only time I can remember him in front last night was when he took that shot to the hand.

Just my two cents from center ice last night. I saw the Sharks play with skill and discipline. Yes, the trap is boring, but who's not going to use it sitting on a two-goal lead? Can't fault them for that.

I saw a Red Wing team that couldn't keep their stick on the puck and a power play that is useless. I saw every single one of them get pushed off the puck. And if they continue to play the freakin' dump and chase, I'm going to scream. Especially on the power play. That was ridiculous. They have the skill and the muscle to carry the puck into the zone. Let's see it for a change. And for the love of God, please take the freakin' shot!! And NOT from the point. Ugh.

Ugh. Don't get me started. When I watch other teams' powerplays I'm always jealous because they're seems to be at least 2, if not 3, forwards buzzing around the net or creating havoc. With the Wings you have one guy in front (if you're lucky) with the other two forwards at each hash mark.

I thought it was the point to draw defenders with you. Cycle the puck to the dman and then go to the net. Have the Sharks collapse so they add to the quagmire in the crease.

While a win is a win is a win, I don't think there's any true Sharks fan that feels 100% comfortable with this win. Not in a best of 7 series.

The fact that we couldn't sustain an attack through the last two periods makes me wonder if this is a sign of things to come. Sure, the Joe to Carle pass was a beauty, and the Grier goal was a heads up play... but Hasek was all OVER the puck, as was Nabby (the best Shark by far tonight).

The one element missing was really physical play, and if the Wings bring that along with avoiding penalties, who knows.

Lots of hockey left!

Good luck to all!

Samadelphia: GOOD example of a Sharks fans post :clap::D

Exactly Defenseman13, ..although the Sharks won, they didn't seem very into it either. It is sort of worrisome for both teams to play this lackluster.

Ugh. Don't get me started. When I watch other teams' powerplays I'm always jealous because they're seems to be at least 2, if not 3, forwards buzzing around the net or creating havoc. With the Wings you have one guy in front (if you're lucky) with the other two forwards at each hash mark.

I thought it was the point to draw defenders with you. Cycle the puck to the dman and then go to the net. Have the Sharks collapse so they add to the quagmire in the crease.

Yup ... the 4-corners thing we do never seems to do anything unless we get lucky with a screened shot from the blue line ... the only time we ever seem to shake up the defense is when Hank or Pavel skate the puck around a D-guy to the middle of the ice - then everyone seems to collapse and we get open shots.

Did anyone else start to see flashes of the chemistry that made the Datsyuk-Zetterberg combo so dangerous in January-February. They may have been kept off the score sheet but they are finding that magic once again. The best example of that was during the 3rd period (I think) when they were basically playing catch along the boards with the puck. San Jose didn't know what to do. It was actually pretty funny because they were moving the puck so fast between one another the Sharks were just standing around it seemed. This could be a great sign if it continues.

Again I am going to say that, If the Wing would have gotten a goal they would have easly tied and forced overtime. It was just getting that first :siren:, that would have been the spark.

Look for the Wings to come out with more Energy and step there game up. Seriously Detroit was one step, one shot, one pass, one inch from winning that game. Maltby hit the post on a 40 foot shot, with no screen, the Wings just didnt get the breaks or the bounces..... No excuse I know but It was not the Sharks that beat Detroit yesterday, it was Detroit. Bad Turn overs, Their timing was off, slow puck movement, lack of energy were the reason for the lost.

Dont get me wrong San Jose played a solid game but I dont think they were all that great, I though they sat back alot and didnt force the issue. I think that a team like Detroit will go into the Locker after the game yesterday and say, We played well, we didnt create enough chances and we didnt play solid in our end and made sloppy plays.

Detroit can easy fix the problems that cause them to lose Game 1, look for the Wings to come out flying on Saturday and jump out to a big lead early.

Wings still in 6 or 5

Edited by Red4wings4life

Wasn't on the boards or chat room at all last night, so just want to comment:

While the Wings looked flat and out of sync, I absolutely thought the Sharks played a fantastic game. With a two goal lead after the first on the road, they did exactly what they should have. Sit back and make the Wings come to them.

I hate to repeat what Sharks fans and everyone else has said, but they are big, fast, and skilled up front. If their blue line continues to play above their heads and get plenty of help by sitting back and getting help after establishing a lead, this could be a short series.

Game was boring all around. For so much hype into this series, the game was a big disappointment, looked like a preseason game at times. SJ played their game, score first and slam the door. Wings looked disinterested after it was 2-0, they tried but what they mustered up wasn't much.

Where was the crowd? I swear, every game it seems more and more likely that the fans feel they're entitled to see the team win. Make some damn noise in the building. I was very disappointed with the lack of energy by both the fans and the team.

Game 2 needs to be better for both teams. The Wings were too passive and didn't hit enough and the Sharks sat on their 2-0 lead. Snoozefest. Lose Saturday and it's going to be a very short series.

The Sharks are a good team, no doubt, and stoled the first game on home ice which was huge for them, but that game did not seem as hard as a few of the Calgary games did. We had some decent chances, and their goalie played well, but there were alot of rebounds laying in front of the net with no one to clean them up and push them by the goalie. The Sharks D did a good job with his, but it's nice to see their goalie giving up rebounds. We need to find a way to gain more control in center ice, crash the net, and somehow get Bertizzui to know it's okay to shoot the puck....he does not look that good out there. All-in-all, I did not feel we played that bad against a good team, but the result has made game 2 oh-so-important for the Wings.

The Sharks did not impress me at all, i was expecting much more from them but perhaps its because they went into a defensive trap after those 2 goals for the rest of the game.

Detroits power play is really staring to irritate me, i almost want to throw things at my TV when Shneider stands there t-ing up like he's on the golf course already.

I saw a Red Wing team that couldn't keep their stick on the puck and a power play that is useless. I saw every single one of them get pushed off the puck. And if they continue to play the freakin' dump and chase, I'm going to scream. Especially on the power play. That was ridiculous. They have the skill and the muscle to carry the puck into the zone. Let's see it for a change. And for the love of God, please take the freakin' shot!! And NOT from the point. Ugh.

Turnovers.

No physical play.

Dumping the puck, yeh, but where was the chase? :blink:

And stop me if ya heard this before but "shooting from the outside" <-- that one there makes me sick! Have we NOT learned?

Slice & dice this game, but saying this Sharks squad is too good to beat is laughable. If Detroit actually showed up last night - we'd be talking a different outcome. The playoffs are a tough grind phystically, emotionally and mentally. If the Wings wanna take games off, and not come to play, that's on them and they sure as hell won't be around when the Cup is raised. On the other hand, if our team plays the way we know they "can" - I like our chances alot. We'll soon see.

not enough one timers from the point! schnider needs to just blast it instead of catching the pass, waiting for the open lane to close up and then firing it into the shins of sharks defenders.

I can't believe some of the writers thought Sharks dominated us. Dominated? and they call themselves professional writers? Give me a break!

Seriously, who gives a F what anyone writes abotu us? We've been ousted 3 years in a row and each time our team has beaten themselves. Who really gives a s*** about what any writer are printing. We finished 2nd overall, yet everyone keeps telling us to fear ANA, SJ, NSH, VAN, BUF - damn near every team that made the playoffs. I only care about what goes on in our dressing room. If this team came to play for 60 minutes EVERY GAME, all those critics would be silenced at the end of June and licking our nuts. I see no team in front of us that we should fear. Not one. Gimme a break. What I CAN NOT stomach, what is simply INEXCUSABLE is losing to anyone because WE hand it to them. It's April - there are no excuses.

Just my two cents from center ice last night. I saw the Sharks play with skill and discipline. Yes, the trap is boring, but who's not going to use it sitting on a two-goal lead? Can't fault them for that.

OMG... you mean I actually was watching the right game last night? :lol: I was starting to doubt I was at the right JLA last night after reading the many "wings didn't play all that bad last night IMHO"

Your assesment was right on with all account.

Edited by OsGOD

not enough one timers from the point! schnider needs to just blast it instead of catching the pass, waiting for the open lane to close up and then firing it into the shins of sharks defenders.

:clap:

The Sharks did not impress me at all, i was expecting much more from them but perhaps its because they went into a defensive trap after those 2 goals for the rest of the game.

Detroits power play is really staring to irritate me, i almost want to throw things at my TV when Shneider stands there t-ing up like he's on the golf course already.

But that's what they're told to do. That's how they practice it. It's up the coaching staff to change things up. Until then, expect more one-timers from the point from both Schneids and Lidstrom with little to no traffic in front while the 2 other forwards stand at the hash marks enjoying the view.

I guess upon further reflection what bothered me the most is how easy San Josie made it look once they got up a goal.

And.. props to Grier, what a shot, turn-FIRE, goal. :siren:

I guess upon further reflection what bothered me the most is how easy San Josie made it look once they got up a goal.

And.. props to Grier, what a shot, turn-FIRE, goal. :siren:

Me too. It was lke they were just swatting flies until the final buzzer went. Like they were toying with us. "Go ahead and take another shot from 40 feet out and at a bad angle". And that's basically what we did for the final 50 minutes.