• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mcgirk

Fan response

Rate this topic

I dont live in the detroit so im not sure for the reason for this, I always percieved detroit as a strong hockey market with a good fan base, yet no games selling out.Can anyone shed some light on this for me as for the reasoning, are people in detroit just not that intrested in hockey anymore?

^, that and the economy sucks...

I've seen a lot of posters make the assertion that the Wings games aren't selling out due to overpriced tickets. I am curious to know how much the tickets actually are compared to the price of Sharks tickets....

Here are the playoff ticket prices for individual games (Season Ticket Holders pay much less than this)

Reg Season --> Rd. 1 --> Rd. 2 --> Rd. 3 --> Rd. 4

----->$18 ------>$30 ----> $54 ----> $104 -->$184 (upstairs upper corners)

----->$29 ------>$41 ----> $65 ----> $115 -->$195 (upstairs upper sideline)

----->$35 ------>$50 ----> $80 ----> $140 -->$230 (upstairs lower corners)

----->$43 ------>$58 ----> $88 ----> $148 -->$238 (upstairs lower sideline)

----->$65 ------>$80 ----> $120 ---> $195 -->$295 (upstairs rim)

----->$60 ------>$85 ----> $125 ---> $200 -->$300 (downstairs upper corners)

----->$71 ------>$91 ----> $131 ---> $206 -->$306 (downstairs upper sideline)

----->$86 ------>$111 ---> $161 ---> $241 -->$366 (downstairs glass corners)

----->$91 ------>$116 ---> $166 ---> $246 -->$371 (Club corners)

----->$101 ----->$126 ---> $176 ---> $256 -->$381 (Club sideline)

----->$125 ----->$160 ---> $230 ---> $315 -->$465 (Club glass)

How do playoff tickets at the Joe compare?

see heres the thing,....as i understand it and someone is probably more knowledgeable about this than i am, Season ticket holders actually had to shell out more to get playoff tickets.

see heres the thing,....as i understand it and someone is probably more knowledgeable about this than i am, Season ticket holders actually had to shell out more to get playoff tickets.

D'oh! Total opposite of San Jose -- STH get a massive price break on playoff ticket prices as well as being guaranteed a ticket to every playoff game (they also get a price break on the regular season tickets as well, but it is not as big). Individual ticket buyers are at the mercy of TicketMaster -- generally they sellout within 10 minutes of release to the public. So the price break and the guarantee of tickets is a big incentive to get season tickets. By the 4th round, should we get there, god willing, the price difference between STH prices and individual ticket prices is more than 50% at most levels.

For instance, I have a partial ticket plan that guarantees me one ticket per playoff round and I pay the same price for those tickets as a full STH.

My seats are in the upstairs lower sideline seats and this is what I pay for them...

----->$39 ------>$48 ----> $61 ----> $86 --->$116 (STH Price)

As compared to this pricing for the exact same seat without being a partial ticket plan holder:

----->$43 ------>$58 ----> $88 ----> $148 -->$238 (indiviual ticket price)

By the time we get to the SCF, god willing, my single game STH will cost me less than half the price of a guy who doesn't have a partial season plan. I don't know what the other ranges are for STH prices, I only know the level I'm paying.

Those are a bit pricey, but whats a few hundred to see the playoffs?

Something else that bugged the hell out of me was how many fans left the arena only down two goals with like 5 minutes left.

This has happened in SJ of course (anywhere really) and I've seen miracles happen, like the Ricci hat trick with seconds left against Dallas, or the 3-1 comeback with 33 seconds left against LA. Hell, even if we're doomed, I never leave...it's hockey for pete's sake. ANYTHING could happen. Not to mention the Wings are notorious for comebacks in the 3rd.

Something else that bugged the hell out of me was how many fans left the arena only down two goals with like 5 minutes left.

This has happened in SJ of course (anywhere really) and I've seen miracles happen, like the Ricci hat trick with seconds left against Dallas, or the 3-1 comeback with 33 seconds left against LA. Hell, even if we're doomed, I never leave...it's hockey for pete's sake. ANYTHING could happen. Not to mention the Wings are notorious for comebacks in the 3rd.

LA Miracle, after Brad Stuart scores a few seconds previous.... this was also the last game of the year, fan appreciation day, and we won it in overtime. I've never heard the building that loud. We went on to lose to Calgary in the WC finals.

LA Miracle

Ricci's miracle goal with 4 seconds left...hat trick, on hat night, as tons of fans stood up in front of me to leave a minute before. Then came running back. Suckers.

Riici's miracle

Don't leave early!!!!!

Edited by Defenseman13

LA Miracle, after Brad Stuart scores a few seconds previous.... this was also the last game of the year, fan appreciation day, and we won it in overtime. I've never heard the building that loud. We went on to lose to Calgary in the WC finals.

Yeah, well some of the people there don't really care...my brother in law for example...he was at the game tonight because he got free tickets through his work, as a matter of fact, he has been to every Red Wings playoff game this season, but he maybe watched 5 hockey games during the season? Maybe? I don't know for sure but, I wouldn't be surprised if he left after the second goal. Because he doesn't care, for him it is more about going to the Joe and drinking beer and if the Wings win or something cool happens, he can say "Yeah, I was there that night!" . and unfortunately people like him seem to be out numbering real hockey fans more and more every game.

Yeah, you can tell that to the XX number of people that got there house foreclosed today because there mortgage payments skyrocketed.

Edited by Elshupacabra

Well, if this tells you anything, I remember reading that the standing room only tix at the Joe are $68.

That was LAST round... ;)

This is the current rounds prices

$72 - Upper last 4 rows

$77 - Standing

$90 - Rows like 12-21 Upper bowl

$108 - Rows 1-11 Upper bowl (our normal season ticket which are on $54 throughout the year)

$135 - Upper lower bowl

$153 - first few rows in the lower bowl

Prices are a bit too steep.

Oh and season ticket holders... PAY THE EXACT AMOUNT... PLUS, a nice service fee per round... NO DISCOUNTS.

So the seats in the upper bowls empty are people like me who turned down their season tickets for the playoffs.

That being said I have gone to 3 of the 4 possible home games ;)

Ticket prices + poor playoff showings the past 4 years + economy + Tigers success = Joe Louis with empty seats.

Illitch needs to get his giant afro head out of his ass and reduce prices. When a hockey rabid town like Calgary is selling nose bleed seats for $40 CDN, you know Illitch is outpricing himself.

Also take into consideration that he MADE MONEY before the playoffs even began and you know he can reduce prices. Trust me, this will have to happen if the Wings don't advance beyond round 2.

People are struggling and if they can take their entire family of 4 to a Tigers game, with parking, drinks, pizzas and a couple of souvenires for the same cost of 2 standing room tickets, why should they go see the Wings?

I'm a giant Wings fan, but even I would take the Tigers deal over the Wings. I just can't justify spending that kind of money when the pockets need to be tightened up.

Here is an example of the Season tickets we have (keep in mind we have 2 tickets so you must double all numbers below for a couple to go to the game). Our tickets are in the Upper Bowl Row 11... this is why we turned them down for the post season:

$54 --> Regular season price for 41 games

$99 for Round 1 (about a 183% markup)

$108 for Round 2 (about a 200% markup

$158 for Round 3 (about a 292.6% markup)

$270 for Round 4 (about a 500% markup)

Regular season $2,214.00 x2 = $4,428.00 +10 shipping fee = $4,438.00 for roughly 41 games

Post season $2,540 x2 = $5,080 + $40 shipping fee = $5,090.00 for roughly 16 games.

Huge rip off, not to mention increased prices for parking.

Edited by OsGOD

Do you really think the economy is as good in MI as San Jose???? To see how much the DRW ticket prices are out there:

Second round RW lowest ticket $72 + ticketmaster crap = $78ish

Second round Pistons lowest ticket $18 + ticketmaster crap = $24ish

granted the highest piston ticket is $950.

I hate BB and have no idea where or how good the seats are. But if I had kids and they wanted to go to a pro playoff game, lets see 3 pistons tix for the price of 1 red wind ticket!

And yes I am a Season RW ticket holder.

Wings fans are spoiled.

I am not impressed at all with Detroit fans, and to hear that the Lions are tops on the list is really saying something.

In fairness, with as bad as the economy is, the ticket prices are a little ridiculous, and with the salary cap in place, Mike Illitch is doing just fine with the Wings. No need to bleed the fans that WANT to go to the games.

Wings fans are spoiled.

I am not impressed at all with Detroit fans, and to hear that the Lions are tops on the list is really saying something.

In fairness, with as bad as the economy is, the ticket prices are a little ridiculous, and with the salary cap in place, Mike Illitch is doing just fine with the Wings. No need to bleed the fans that WANT to go to the games.

How does the lack of attendance demonstrate the fans are spoiled?

All I have heard about in years past was "POOR ME, POOR ME the corporate suites buy up all the tickets and little ol' me can't attend.... The TRUE fans can't attend because the seats are taken up by corporate!!!!!" Well guess what? Not any more? Where are those true fans now bitching about not being able to go... When it comes to spending their OWN money for tickets they really don't want to. The fans aren't spoiled... even the "TRUE FANS" as they call themselves have been priced out of the attendance market.... By ticket prices... not lack of available tickets.

I have been to 3 of the 4 possible home games so far... Tickets ARE NOT hard to get... so where are the TRUE FANS who bitched about not being able to go to the games before... Here is their chance and THEY are dropping the ball.

I think you are low balling that figure... A 200% markup for round 2 of the playoffs is only a "little ridiculous"?

Football > Hockey almost everywhere. Do I watch football, hell no.. but it still is #1 in a lot of major cities.

Edited by OsGOD

Fans in San Jose have the Silicon Valley economy. Of course, Sharks fans can pony up $70 or $90 for a playoff ticket because they have six-figure dot.com/IT jobs. Job growth in that part of California has always been strong (even if you through in the H-1B visa workers).

Michigan is ground zero for economic depression. Auto industry is dying. Blue-collar and white-collar layoffs are devastating the region's economy. Michigan has no investment diversity.

Fans in San Jose have the Silicon Valley economy. Of course, Sharks fans can pony up $70 or $90 for a playoff ticket because they have six-figure dot.com/IT jobs. Job growth in that part of California has always been strong (even if you through in the H-1B visa workers).

Michigan is ground zero for economic depression. Auto industry is dying. Blue-collar and white-collar layoffs are devastating the region's economy. Michigan has no investment diversity.

They might have a stronger economy but the overall cost of living is WAY higher out there.

That said yesterday's turnout was a joke. There were thousands of empty seats.

The upper bowl nosebleeds and corners were bare.

I'm glad those empty seats were eye-level with Mr. I up in his suite. Lower ticket prices, offer season ticket holders better perks, hell I'd take the couple hundered dollars in joe bucks at this point!

Here is an example of the Season tickets we have (keep in mind we have 2 tickets so you must double all numbers below for a couple to go to the game). Our tickets are in the Upper Bowl Row 11... this is why we turned them down for the post season:

$54 --> Regular season price for 41 games

$99 for Round 1 (about a 183% markup)

$108 for Round 2 (about a 200% markup

$158 for Round 3 (about a 292.6% markup)

$270 for Round 4 (about a 500% markup)

Regular season $2,214.00 x2 = $4,428.00 +10 shipping fee = $4,438.00 for roughly 41 games

Post season $2,540 x2 = $5,080 + $40 shipping fee = $5,090.00 for roughly 16 games.

Huge rip off, not to mention increased prices for parking.

I was wondering why The Joe looked so empty. Those prices are INSANE!

Yeah, well some of the people there don't really care...

So true! My husband and I usually get standing room tix when we go to regular season games since we have no problems affording those. My favorite thing to see is the two girls in the lower bowl seats with their skirts and stilettos on who could give a crap about the game. UGH! Drives me crazy! How about you give me your tickets and I'll sit in the sweet seats and actually pay attention to the game!!

Someone called in to Stoney and Wojo about this and had a pretty good explanation which ive thought as well. Theres just not really anyone on the team to identify with and get behind,..no Yzerman, no Shanahan, no McCarty. These guys were heroes around here. Now with the Wings being a predominantly european led team its just not the same to the fans. Also, the Tigers have alot to do with it as well. They are the new "in" thing and have stolen alot of the Wings thunder.