• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Again With The Trap...

Rate this topic

Babcock has had 3 seasons to figure out the GD trap. The Sharks played it again last night and the Wings were blanked. Calgary and Edmonton used it and won, Babcock should have assumed that we would run into it again.

Neutral zone taken away, high forechecking, dumping the puck into the corners. It doesn't take a genius to see it. An NHL coach should see it and adjust before I see it. I saw it in the 2nd period with 10 minutes left. There was a moment where a SJ player dumped the puck in and 2 players raced in after it and the other 3 waited at the red line for the Wings to try and make a pass.

If the Wings get booted because of the same playing style again, I believe Babcock is out and the Wings will be shopping for an offensive oriented coach.

Babcock has had 3 seasons to figure out the GD trap. The Sharks played it again last night and the Wings were blanked. Calgary and Edmonton used it and won, Babcock should have assumed that we would run into it again.

Neutral zone taken away, high forechecking, dumping the puck into the corners. It doesn't take a genius to see it. An NHL coach should see it and adjust before I see it. I saw it in the 2nd period with 10 minutes left. There was a moment where a SJ player dumped the puck in and 2 players raced in after it and the other 3 waited at the red line for the Wings to try and make a pass.

If the Wings get booted because of the same playing style again, I believe Babcock is out and the Wings will be shopping for an offensive oriented coach.

Even if the Wings lose the next three straight (knock on wood) Babs will be the coach next year.

Accept that.

San Jose is good, and strong defense is the Wings' bread-and-butter.

To change the system means changing players and a LOT of them. I love how our forwards play smart defensively (most of them) and we don't have the Griers, the Getzlafs and the Perrys to compete in the corners on the dump-and-chase system.

That said, if we can mix lines, one line playing puck-posession, one line playing corners and dump-and-chase, one line with speed and sniping, I think it's a better mix.

That being said, obviously the Wings will need to dump & chase if this trend continues, but where these games will be won or lost, is in how well the Wings cycle the puck behind the goalie. On top of that, even if they lose the puck, they need to push hard to get it back in their offensive zone, and create some turnovers.

An offensive coach to work the god-like but otherwise sheathed offensive prowess of guys like Calder, Draper, Maltby, Franzen, Chelios, Lilja, Quincey, Markov, etc. Half the line-up.

Playing a balanced system which stresses defence is the only way this team can win.

The trap is hard to beat, but it can be beaten with size and speed up front. It's up to Holland and company to go out and get these players. Which isn't easy.

^^^

Exactly. This isn't the 2002 team that's loaded up with offensive firepower. I'd imagine you want something like what Buffalo does? Do the Wings have the tools to play a fast, uptempo offensive? I don't really think they do.

And how has Babcock had 3 years to figure out how to beat the trap with the Wings, when this is only his second season here?

That being said, obviously the Wings will need to dump & chase if this trend continues, but where these games will be won or lost, is in how well the Wings cycle the puck behind the goalie. On top of that, even if they lose the puck, they need to push hard to get it back in their offensive zone, and create some turnovers.

Exactly what they did against Calgary. I didn't see them do it a whole lot last night. But I think the Sharks defense and the size of the backchecking forwards had something to do with it.

The Wings are going to have to work and fight for every inch of that ice. Taking shots from 40 feet out isn't going to win games. They have to get their nose dirty against San Jose.

I'm looking forward to game 2. I think both teams are going to bring more to the table and I really hope that the tenacity that the Wings showed against Calgary shows up as well. Hasek can steal games and it could have easily been 4-0 at the end of 1 if not for Dom. But we need to give him a lead. This series will be about first leads. Both teams are way too good defensively AND offensively to dig out of a 2 goal hole.

You must be right on the cusp of an NHL coaching job then. I'll chalk this pissed off post to being nothing more than that..

I think also that the decision making at the blue line was too slow. Too many power play shot blocked because of that.

Then also robert lang was not skating at all, what is with this guy.

Lilja, didn't play well. I think what could have saved us was Lebda with a high speed end to end rush like he did against LA.

Because even if San Jose play the trap, when the wings find the back of the net, it is a whole different game.

You want to know what I think is the easiest way to break the trap.... Dont spot a team a 2 goal lead 10 minutes into the game.... If we dont supply San Jose with a lead like we did in game 1... Then San Jose will have to become more aggresive start taking chances and we will start forcing turnovers and making scoring chances from them... A team like San Jose you cant spot them an early lead and a big one with that much momentum that quick... espically at home.... Detroit needs to come out strong and hard in Game 2 and get up early.... then we can dictate the game and thats when we play the best hockey when we are in control....

You want to know what I think is the easiest way to break the trap.... Dont spot a team a 2 goal lead 10 minutes into the game.... If we dont supply San Jose with a lead like we did in game 1... Then San Jose will have to become more aggresive start taking chances and we will start forcing turnovers and making scoring chances from them... A team like San Jose you cant spot them an early lead and a big one with that much momentum that quick... espically at home.... Detroit needs to come out strong and hard in Game 2 and get up early.... then we can dictate the game and thats when we play the best hockey when we are in control....

100% correct.

San Jose doesn't trap until they have a lead. If you want to get them away from trapping then Detroit needs to score first. Scoring on the power play is an easy way to nullify the trap as well. Make THEM play from behind and they become a much, much less dangerous team.

wow, it must be great being a red wing. if you dont win literally every single game, someone hits the panic button.

I'm pretty sure Babs knows what he is doing. Last year the wings wouldve beaten Edmonton with hasek in net. they almost won with legace's suicide worthy game 6! and this year they have calder and bertuzzi who are really tough to get off the puck.

And how has Babcock had 3 years to figure out how to beat the trap with the Wings, when this is only his second season here?

I was just hoping he'd have some ideas, since his Ducks in '03 were trappers supreme.

Typo. By the way, point of reference, Lewis did better against it than Babcock did. 2-4 is better than 0-4. And now Babs is 0-5 against it.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

I think also that the decision making at the blue line was too slow. Too many power play shot blocked because of that.

Then also robert lang was not skating at all, what is with this guy.

Lilja, didn't play well. I think what could have saved us was Lebda with a high speed end to end rush like he did against LA.

Because even if San Jose play the trap, when the wings find the back of the net, it is a whole different game.

I noticed that too. There were a couple times when the Sharks might have been in trouble if the Wings player pulls the trigger right away. But give the Sharks a half second and they're back in position to block the puck...

100% correct.

San Jose doesn't trap until they have a lead. If you want to get them away from trapping then Detroit needs to score first. Scoring on the power play is an easy way to nullify the trap as well. Make THEM play from behind and they become a much, much less dangerous team.

Well, that can be said about almost any team.

And as your guys found out in round 1 (and Detroit found out last night), it's a lot easier said than done against the Sharks...

The reason the Wings lost last night was not becasue Babs hasn't figured out the trap. The Wings lost last night because they did not make necessary effort to get to the loose pucks and rebounds to produce(and score on) enough quality chances, and sloppy play in their end of the rink.

Guest Crymson

Even if the Wings lose the next three straight (knock on wood) Babs will be the coach next year.

Accept that.

I do believe it's been very clearly stated that Babcock is out for good if we don't go deep into the playoffs this year.

I believe that Babcock haas proven to be a good coach this year. i rag on the guy when things go wrong, and my personal nickname for the guy is babcockles, BUT I do think he has brought a lot to the team this season, and he has the wings playing a more physical game, (shown throughout the calgary series)

I am happy with Babcock as coach thjis year and next year

Seriously guys, it wasn't that bad. Yeah we had a lot of uncharacteristic giveaways, but it's not like we got blown out. All is NOT lost.

Silly newbie...he thinks that things don't get blown out of proportion around here...

The wings are excellent, if not the best, at dumping the puck in... always have been... Its the chase portion and the gaining control of the puck is where they have always been horrible at.

They also really need someone closer than the blueliners in front of the net to get anything going. They can play as long as they want behind the net... the goals are scored by those in front of the net... something we didin't have for one second last night.