• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Again With The Trap...

Rate this topic

Stop freaking out. We had numerous scoring chances that could have gone in, they just didn't.

I saw the trap and the blocked shots, but like Legionairre said, we just have to score first tomorrow. Come out hard, put a couple in the net, and then WE can play the trap (altough I'm sure we won't).

If Maltby's shot in the 2nd period doesn't hit the post, it's a 2-1 game. If the numerous deflections that hit Nabokov would have went in, and they were close, it's probably a 4-2 game. There you go.

Babcock has had 3 seasons to figure out the GD trap.

I'm pretty sure he has it figured out since the Wings have made pretty good use of it themselves this year.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Give me one source that stated this.

It's been rumored, but the sources, usually all be it Eklund or the Canadian media, are not highly credible. Nothing has officially been confirmed with what would happen to Babcock as of right now.

Edited by Kp-Wings

The wings are excellent, if not the best, at dumping the puck in... always have been... Its the chase portion and the gaining control of the puck is where they have always been horrible at.

Which is the point of my previous post.

I realize the Wings aren't a good chase team once the pucks been thrown in, but in order to open the game up, they'll have to improve on that area. That being said, they also need to be stronger on the puck, and carry it in. This team can't rely solely on either, but needs both to be effective.

They also really need someone closer than the blueliners in front of the net to get anything going. They can play as long as they want behind the net... the goals are scored by those in front of the net... something we didin't have for one second last night.

Secondly, dig a little deeper here. If the Wings are cycling the puck better behind the goal, it should create openings and opportunities in front of the net. *Then* it comes down to having the guys in front of Nabby ready to knock in loose pucks and rebounds. Last night was a prime example or how important getting these things rolling will be to the Wings 2nd round success. Nabby gave up plenty of rebounds on a silver platter, but credit their D for clearing before any got put in the goal. If the Wings cycle down low, get the D to move, and *then* take that shot (with guys in front), they'll score goals.

It's been rumored, but the sources, usually all be it Eklund or the Canadian media, are not highly credible. Nothing has officially been confirmed with what would happen to Babcock as of right now.

Game, Set and Match.

When Holland and Co. start making comments about Bab's future, than I'll believe a word of it.

Until then Eklund and the Canadian Media (who no one so far has specified) aren't reliable sources to make such a claim.

You want to know what I think is the easiest way to break the trap.... Dont spot a team a 2 goal lead 10 minutes into the game.... If we dont supply San Jose with a lead like we did in game 1... Then San Jose will have to become more aggresive start taking chances and we will start forcing turnovers and making scoring chances from them... A team like San Jose you cant spot them an early lead and a big one with that much momentum that quick... espically at home.... Detroit needs to come out strong and hard in Game 2 and get up early.... then we can dictate the game and thats when we play the best hockey when we are in control....

Exactly. That's what I was thinking. The Sharks would have never trapped if they didn't have a 2-0 lead. That made all the difference right there. I expect the Wings to come out flying tomorrow and take it to 'em.

Does a trap give up 34 shots, not including 18 that were blocked?

Are you saying they don't trap?

Don't be ashamed of it, it's a great system. It frustrates the heck of the opponent, and even though it's "boring" to casual fans, any of us who are hardcore will appreciate a team that can do it well. I don't think anyone here is criticizing the Sharks for trapping, they're criticizing the Wings for not being able to overcome the trap.

Are you saying they don't trap?

Don't be ashamed of it, it's a great system. It frustrates the heck of the opponent, and even though it's "boring" to casual fans, any of us who are hardcore will appreciate a team that can do it well. I don't think anyone here is criticizing the Sharks for trapping, they're criticizing the Wings for not being able to overcome the trap.

QFT

That being said, the Sharks did a great job of clogging the neutral zone, and getting guys in the passing lanes. All the credit in the world for successfully doing this.

That being said, here's hoping the Wings come out and counter, scoring early and often. Widen up the game, and get some flow to the passing.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

First off, I thought the "new" NHL was supposed to prevent or eliminate using the trap. It's a shame that the trap becomes most common at a time when the games are the most important. It makes games boring and takes away the excitement of playoff hockey. That being said, props to San Jose for doing what they had to do to win the game. I take nothing away from them, because if you have to trap to win, then do it. With the skill level of the guys in red, if they can't figure out a way to beat the trap, then more power to the Sharks. Lets hope for a better showing and result in Game 2 - Go Red Wings!

Edited by GoWings1905

If the Wings get booted because of the same playing style again, I believe Babcock is out and the Wings will be shopping for an offensive oriented coach.

Bab's isn't going anywhere. SJ's an excellent team, and the series could go either way. I wouldn't fire Bab's if we lose to the Sharks.

We have a good shot at a Championship, but I think people need to realize this isn't the same team we had from 1995-2002. Unless we get a couple breaks, SJ and Anaheim are better playoff teams than we are. We could realistically be a few seasons away from a Stanley Cup. Other teams have gone past us as the best in the League.

I for one, will see this season as a success even if we go out 2nd Round. It was big step in my mind eliminating Calgary, the way we did, by showing a lot of grit and determination. It's something to build on for 2007-08.

I by no means am writing off the SJ series at all, but I was impressed with how big their players are, and, watching them, wasn't surprised they made quick work of Nashville. We're going to have problems getting some decent shots on net.

You beat the trap with hard work, and two of the four lines were putting in the work needed. The second line is really dragging the team down. Lang said it best when he said that the second line has to produce for the Wings to be successful in the playoffs. Yet he doesn't seem to want to put the work in that is needed for that line to be produce consistently.

I was sceptical of Babcock's coaching job last year, but this year I think he really did a good, if not great job preparing this team for the playoffs. If I had one qualm with him is that he should be calling out a few players that aren't putting forth a consistent effort.

According to Ansar it looks like they might give Flip the opportunity to breathe some life into that second line.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/weblog/index..._04.html#249215

The Trap STINKS! I am not saying that just because the wings have a extreamly hard time getting past it, its that it slows up the game and kinda makes it boring. I'll give my props to the sharks for using it effectly. There isnt really another way other than that to stop the wings. If the wings attact harder and carry the puck though center ice, the trap will cause San Jose to take interfearence penatlies. We are by far the best PP team but give us enough chances, and we will score.

Bacock should not lose his job based on the Wings inability to overcome a trap by San Jose once their up two goals.

Also, Lebda and Kronwall are two key losses in terms of the Wing's beating the trap. Lebda did so regularly with his speed, and Kronwall with speed and passing.

The Wings had what looked like set plays from behind their own net involving those two that beat the trap.

First off, I thought the "new" NHL was supposed to prevent or eliminate using the trap. It's a shame that the trap becomes most common at a time when the games are the most important. It makes games boring and takes away the excitement of playoff hockey. That being said, props to San Jose for doing what they had to do to win the game. I take nothing away from them, because if you have to trap to win, then do it. With the skill level of the guys in red, if they can't figure out a way to beat the trap, then more power to the Sharks. Lets hope for a better showing and result in Game 2 - Go Red Wings!

It can't eliminate the trap, but the new rules should make it easier to beat. You can no longer hold up players at the blueline as they try and go in and dig out the puck once it's been dumped in. And as much as I don't like the rule, limiting the goalie's ability to play the puck in the corners also helps.

Before with a team like New Jersey, they could interfere with players at their own blueline while Brodeur went and flipped the puck to his defenseman.

Since the NHL allows 16 teams in the playoffs, I think the League should look into calling an "Illegal Defence" or "To Many People in the Neutral Zone", like the NBA does. A lot of the reasons why the NHL has problems with national TV ratings is that the final 2 rounds in the playoffs are sooooo slow. Usually we're left with atleast one team that traps in the Final, sometimes both teams (2003).

For marketing and excitment purposes, the League should find ways, other than calling more penalties, to speed up the game and allow their best teams to be fighting for a Championship.

Edited by Barrie

I highly doubt that Babcock will lose his job if we get bounced this year because of the trap, this is probably the best fore checking teams he have had in years, I love the way the Wings played this year! especially against Calgary, I love the idea of a team like Detroit who is considered to be 'soft' coming in and out checking a team like Calgary. I'll bet Babcock is back next year.

Edit = DP

Edited by Elshupacabra

You beat the trap with hard work, and two of the four lines were putting in the work needed. The second line is really dragging the team down. Lang said it best when he said that the second line has to produce for the Wings to be successful in the playoffs. Yet he doesn't seem to want to put the work in that is needed for that line to be produce consistently.

I was sceptical of Babcock's coaching job last year, but this year I think he really did a good, if not great job preparing this team for the playoffs. If I had one qualm with him is that he should be calling out a few players that aren't putting forth a consistent effort.

According to Ansar it looks like they might give Flip the opportunity to breathe some life into that second line.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/weblog/index..._04.html#249215

I love the idea of Filp going to the second line, and Lang playing with Hudler. It helps both lines IMO.

Valtteri Filppula skated on the second line Friday between Johan Franzen and Todd Bertuzzi, replacing Robert Lang, who was moved to the fourth line with Jiri Hudler and Mikael Samuelsson

Z-Dats-Calder

Franzen-Filp-Bert

Maltby-Draper-Cleary

Hudler-Lang-Sammy

Trap or no trap, the biggest problem is we have too much offensive IQ. The wings are too deliberate on offense and they pass more times than the Lion's during the run and shoot years...it's pretty simple, pass less, shoot more, and bang the net with Bertuzzi et al....oh and bench Lang...I'd take a chance with Kopecky in the game, even if it sends a message to Lang by sitting one game that he needs to move his lazy ass...plus he really needs to zip up his pants in the middle...I'm so tired of his "venting" system for his quads...

Guest Crymson

This couldn't be further from the truth. Give me one source that stated this.

Remember Dave Lewis? Also, see the legions of analysts who have commented on this. If there's any job on the Wings that bears as must scrutiny as goaltending, it's coaching.

Scoreboard aside, I thought the Wings played fairly effectively against it, or at least, as effectively as can be. There were a couple of decent chances generated, and let's face it, bounces (and rebounds) just seem to be going San Jose's way.

The Sharks got into defensive mode way too early last night for my liking. I would rather have seen them force the issue with an aggressive forecheck and trying to control the puck in Detroits zone rather than keeping three back. To give that much possession time to Detroit is Russian Roulette.

Guest LivingtheDream

Last year the wings wouldve beaten Edmonton with hasek in net. they almost won with legace's suicide worthy game 6!

LOL!!! Imagine poor Manny if he played hockey in a Japanese league?

Remember Dave Lewis? Also, see the legions of analysts who have commented on this. If there's any job on the Wings that bears as must scrutiny as goaltending, it's coaching.

I'm not going to take 45 minutes to find the exact article/link, but I can say with 100% confidence that I read a Freep or Detroit News article online very recently that quoted Holland saying that Babcock's job is not in jeopardy in any way regardless of how this year's playoffs turn out, and I read Babcock being quoted more/less that he is very happy here and does not want to go anywhere anytime soon.

If the Wings beat San Jose or the "trap", or if they don't and bow out early, Babcock is not going anywhere. I'd rather not lose a coach with a hard-nosed and business-approach mentality too soon to begin with.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan