• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grypho

Wings Fans at LGW

Rate this topic

I can 100% agree with you Grypho. I've been posting here for a while now as an opposing fan. I really hate the Wings with a passion, but this board is great and outside of a handful of regular posters, everyone is great fun to discuss hockey and other topics with. You'll find a lot of newbs who will want to rip on you just because they don't know you, but it's pretty rare.

Welcome aboard, stick around and have some fun!

Viperar, you're right, I didn't even consider it. Smiley removed!

It's just something I had fun with -- a bunch of layers I played with a while back using Photoshop and ImageReady. I'm a fan of the original Alien movie, which means I'm also a fan of H.R. Giger, the designer of the original Alien from his Necronomicon series. The image I put myself in (that's me in the background)...

IPB Image

...is a modified version of something Giger did. Add some gears, some water sheeting over the top with corona sparks flying, and I end up with my little mini-tribute to HR Giger - kind of, after a fashion.

You look kind of like David Arquette in your avatar.

Edited by Bannedforlife

i generally find myself equally impressed with the contributions of our opposition (even though you are really friends who represent an opponent of ours when all is said and done). that would of course be no reason to spit venom but you're right, it happens all the time elsewhere. glad to see those of you who made the transition from posting regularly on your forums to building value on LGW, that you are enjoying your time and feel welcome. you should and please do.

the only thing i ask is that you form a united front against trolls that may represent the team you support.

moderators do an amazing job of policing the scene but it can sometimes become unruly when an opposing fan wants to get into a skrim simply to pacify their own anxiety.

i'm encouraged by all of your contributions thus far, grypho, and we are quite fortunate to have you and peers like you around these parts.

I don't guage forum fans based on the few trash talkers or the young, well intending, but ignorant homers who attack anything not "their color". I look at the best of the best, and also the majority average, and I just wanted to let you all know that I think you have a lot of class here. LOADED with a deep love, knowledge and appreciation for the game, I've been very pleasantly surprised by the personal moderation shown by so many posters here.

And the forum. What a forum. You welcome everyone, you don't even allow long-time members to make new members unwelcome (you actually have a RULE for this!), you keep the boards wide open and BEAUTIFULLY formatted. You allow sigs and off-site avatars, you only call the worst of infractions -- in other words, you run the forum the way a hockey game should be run. ALL OUT.

Without question, this is one of the best designed and run forums in the NHL, and the fact that it's not even run by a team or the NHL, but by fans, makes it all the better.

So much class, depth and heart. You have my undying appreciation and respect. Almost makes me want to start a forum for Sharks fans, and pattern it after this one. I am SO tempted.

My hat's off to all of you - if'n I had me a hat.

One Wings/LGW appreciating Sharks fan.

Great post Grypho. :clap: I've not been here long either , but I feel I've been made welcome by all the guy's and gals on here. Hope you have as much fun on here as I have. :):thumbup:

GO WINGS!!!!!

Dear Grypho,

I've read your posts in your thread here, and I am so sorry but, while I have no authority in these matters: I am going to beg you to say something MEAN......otherwise, regretfully....[sigh].....I'm gonna hafta ask you to leave.......

::sniff:: aloha

.......can you please just TRY? make an effort? something? anything? y'know - 'mean'?

(it hasta be better than "I don't like brussel sprouts")

Dear Grypho,

I've read your posts in your thread here, and I am so sorry but, while I have no authority in these matters: I am going to beg you to say something MEAN......otherwise, regretfully....[sigh].....I'm gonna hafta ask you to leave.......

.......can you please just TRY? make an effort? something? anything? y'know - 'mean'?

What's wrong with Brussel sprouts ??? :ph34r::lol:

Welcome aboard!! I'm happy to see you've contributed monetarily to the site as well. It's always important to put funds towards a site we all frequent so often. Matt puts a GREAT deal of time into these boards for us and if we all contributed..it'd help the site out by leaps and bounds.

LGW is a family unlike any I've ever known in the past 33 years of my life and it's brought me loads of new friends from around the globe that love something (hockey - red wings) just as much as I do.

Welcome to your newest addiction!!! :)

Don't mess with me, biznitch, or I will own you.

(How's that?)

As for standing up to trolls (Shark trolls, anyway), no problem here. That is where I get downright nasty sometimes. But even then, I'm aware that some moderators could interpret this as making the situation worse - so I'll walk the line and try to learn what's acceptable and what's not. If I get nasty with a troll, or a classless San Jose fan, it won't be to engage in a flame war, or pollute the boards further. It will be more to let the troll know that s/he is out of line, and then I'll leave it at that.

First off, welcome to the boards! What a great first post. It's greatly appreciated, and we really hope you stick around. ;)

Agreed. :clap:

Part of the reason this forum is such a great one is because of the various fans of other teams who come and post here and share their love for their team.

Edited by motorcitykid

The in-depth talk about teams, rules, strategy, etc., happens as well, but I think a lot of it depends on the context in which it is presented. A stranger from an opposing team, with no introductions, will have a harder time engaging others in an "objective" exchange...

Certainly when you break into a board that already has established relationships among long time posters it, it stands to reason that a stranger may not be engaged as readily as a veteran, but this is the first board I've seen where you can ask a question about the home team and get no response. I'm not talkin the virtues of a two-goalie system or who in the league has the sweetest toe-drag move. Questions like if Babcock likes to juggle line combinations, how Bert's fitting in, etc. People usually LOVE to talk about their team, at least everywhere else they do, and I personally gain alot out of learning as much as I can about the upcoming opponent by interacting with their fans.

edit: Like I said, it was just an observation and having only spent a few days here, my sample size is not yet big enough to claim any merit. Just tellin ya what I've seen.

Edited by murf

AHAHAHA :lol:

:clap:

<-----owned.

well done.

Certainly when you break into a board that already has established relationships among long time posters it, it stands to reason that a stranger may not be engaged as readily as a veteran, but this is the first board I've seen where you can ask a question about the home team and get no response. I'm not talkin the virtues of a two-goalie system or who in the league has the sweetest toe-drag move. Questions like if Babcock likes to juggle line combinations, how Bert's fitting in, etc. People usually LOVE to talk about their team, at least everywhere else they do, and I personally gain alot out of learning as much as I can about the upcoming opponent by interacting with their fans.

edit: Like I said, it was just an observation and having only spent a few days here, my sample size is not yet big enough to claim any merit. Just tellin ya what I've seen.

so what's yer question?

Oh yeah, don't forget the god complex that some mods have on here....say anything "wrong" or "off color" and they suspend you like a bunch of cowards.

Sorry, I just don't get your logic. As you stated, and I note from your sig line, you weren't banned; like me on another board you were given a temporary suspension, and have since had all your priveleges (they aren't rights, btw) reinstated.

I was given a two day suspension from my own fan forum for fighting with someone who instigated with me when I became a new member (another Sharks fan). The suspension didn't bother me at all, and I accepted it fully for two reasons:

1) The rules there were clear. Don't engage. Report and let the mods do their job. So dropping the gloves landed me in the box along with the instigator and a third person in, and

2) Forums are like gardens, and can easily get overtaken by some nasty weeds; so I like a well weeded garden. If I worked as hard as Matt and others did to create a place as nice as this, I'd be vigilant as well.

But obviously you have your suspension still stuck in your craw, or you wouldn't have a sig-line still pleading your case, as if it still mattered, and you wouldn't be creating posts attacking your hosts here.

Just whose house do you think this is, anyway? This is a privately run forum -- a benevolent dictatorship, if you will. Unlike some other forums, LGW actually lays out a welcome mat for visiting fans from other teams, who are given immediate posting priveleges on all the boards.

I will never lose sight of the fact that this is forum was established primarily for Wings Fans. That makes it their house, and you and I are guests in that house, regardless of our "membership" status. If long-time members here aren't allowed to attack us (that much is clearly stated in the rules!) why should visiting guests enjoy some kind of immunity in that regard?

In real life, we don't go into someone else's house trying to dictate how their rules ought to be set up or enforced. That would be extremely rude. If a guest in my house came to a party I was throwing and started mistreating anyone, guests or members of my house, they'd be out on their asses really fast, and I'm not so sure I'd be as benevolent about allowing them to return either.

On the other hand, if I went to a party and truly felt mistreated by the hosts, out of self-respect I couldn't see myself returning. Why? Such a waste of time and energy - for me, at least.

Edited by Grypho

yeah, what you said :clap:

Great board, I just joined and am already talking more hockey here than on sjsharks.com.

Of course they don't have the great witty political discussions here like the great thread now going on the Sharks board

Muslims suck, do not , do too, you're illogical, no you are, you're an idiot, no you are, you're a bigger idiot, you're a moron, you're a bigger moron etc. that is now going on in a three-way battle with Ali-Baba, SamADelphia and (I am not making these names up) " why would you ban the pimp".

Oh well, I guess no board is perfect but from what I've seen so far LGW comes pretty close. Props to the Mods.

That is very cool of you

Great board, I just joined and am already talking more hockey here than on sjsharks.com.

Of course they don't have the great witty political discussions here like the great thread now going on the Sharks board

Muslims suck, do not , do too, you're illogical, no you are, you're an idiot, no you are, you're a bigger idiot, you're a moron, you're a bigger moron etc. that is now going on in a three-way battle with Ali-Baba, SamADelphia and (I am not making these names up) " why would you ban the pimp".

what about the feeder?

Edited by Echolalia

Sorry, I just don't get your logic. As you stated, and I note from your sig line, you weren't banned; like me on another board you were given a temporary suspension, and have since had all your priveleges (they aren't rights, btw) reinstated.

I was given a two day suspension from my own fan forum for fighting with someone who instigated with me when I became a new member (another Sharks fan). The suspension didn't bother me at all, and I accepted it fully for two reasons:

1) The rules there were clear. Don't engage. Report and let the mods do their job. So dropping the gloves landed me in the box along with the instigator and a third person in, and

2) Forums are like gardens, and can easily get overtaken by some nasty weeds; so I like a well weeded garden. If I worked as hard as Matt and others did to create a place as nice as this, I'd be vigilant as well.

But obviously you have your suspension still stuck in your craw, or you wouldn't have a sig-line still pleading your case, as if it still mattered, and you wouldn't be creating posts attacking your hosts here.

Just whose house do you think this is, anyway? This is a privately run forum -- a benevolent dictatorship, if you will. Unlike some other forums, LGW actually lays out a welcome mat for visiting fans from other teams, who are given immediate posting priveleges on all the boards.

I will never lose sight of the fact that this is forum was established primarily for Wings Fans. That makes it their house, and you and I are guests in that house, regardless of our "membership" status. If long-time members here aren't allowed to attack us (that much is clearly stated in the rules!) why should visiting guests enjoy some kind of immunity in that regard?

In real life, we don't go into someone else's house trying to dictate how their rules ought to be set up or enforced. That would be extremely rude. If a guest in my house came to a party I was throwing and started mistreating anyone, guests or members of my house, they'd be out on their asses really fast, and I'm not so sure I'd be as benevolent about allowing them to return either.

On the other hand, if I went to a party and truly felt mistreated by the hosts, out of self-respect I couldn't see myself returning. Why? Such a waste of time and energy - for me, at least.

(Grypho - here..............watch)

OK.....I'll be the dark-side of Grypho then......far too kind.

Hey look f***** - - you no likey this board? Start.....yer.....own.......

Break the broomhandle in half after you shove it in yer ass. Hope you get slivers too.

no aloha

(Grypho - here..............watch)

OK.....I'll be the dark-side of Grypho then......far too kind.

Hey look f***** - - you no likey this board? Start.....yer.....own.......

Break the broomhandle in half after you shove it in yer ass. Hope you get slivers too.

no aloha

:D

Actually, my dark side would have said:

Hey, cool animal avatar! Is that an extinct species?

IPB Image

EDIT: The problem with that, of course, is that it could be taken as a slight by really cool Preds fans like Legionnaire11. So I hope the joke is taken as a good-natured rib and not an attack.

Edited by Grypho

EDIT: The problem with that, of course, is that it could be taken as a slight by really cool Preds fans like Legionnaire11. So I hope the joke is taken as a good-natured rib and not an attack.

"Maybe you'd be happier at one of our lower stakes tables..........."